• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newyork newspaper prints name and address of those with gun permits

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012312230056&nclick_check=1

In May, Richard V. Wilson approached a female neighbor on the street and shot her in the back of the head, a crime that stunned their quiet Katonah neighborhood.

What was equally shocking for some was the revelation that the mentally disturbed 77-year-old man had amassed a cache of weapons — including two unregistered handguns and a large amount of ammunition — without any neighbors knowing.

“I think that the access to guns in this country is ridiculous, that anybody can get one,” said a neighbor of Wilson’s who requested anonymity because it’s not known whether the gunman, whose unnamed victim survived, will return home or be sent to prison. “Would I have bought this house knowing somebody (close by) had an arsenal of weapons? No, I would not have.”

In the wake of the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., and amid renewed nationwide calls for stronger gun control, some Lower Hudson Valley residents would like lawmakers to expand the amount of information the public can find out about gun owners. About 44,000 people in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam — one out of every 23 adults — are licensed to own a handgun.

Anyone can find out the names and addresses of handgun owners in any county with a simple Freedom of Information Law request, and the state’s top public records expert told The Journal News last week that he thinks the law does not bar the release of other details. But officials in county clerk’s offices in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam maintain the public does not have a right to see such things as the specific permits an individual has been issued, the types of handguns a person possesses or the number of guns he or she owns — whether one or a dozen.

Combined with laws that allow the purchase of rifles and shotguns without a permit, John Thompson, a program manager for Project SNUG at the Yonkers Family YMCA, said that leaves the public knowing little about the types of deadly weapons that might be right next door.

“I would love to know if someone next to me had guns. It makes me safer to know so I can deal with that,” said Thompson, whose group counsels youths against gun violence. “I might not choose to live there.”
Map : http://www.lohud.com/interactive/ar...gun-permits-your-neighborhood-?nclick_check=1

This is UNACCEPTABLE. You don't just go and put the first and last names and addresses of people who have gun permits on the internet for everyone to see without asking them first, this is a huge invasion of privacy.

I also find it hilarious how they now have armed guards on their headquarters since they posted this.

This gun thing is getting out of control.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
[
This is UNACCEPTABLE. You don't just go and put the first and last names and addresses of people who have gun permits on the internet for everyone to see without asking them first, this is a huge invasion of privacy.
But it's been said that anyone can ask with a Freedom of Information Law request. It's not really privacy if it's not private.

laws that allow the purchase of rifles and shotguns without a permit
What the blurking fleep? See, it's crap like this that's not doing anyone any damn favours.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Even though that's true, it's different when a newspaper publishes all your information for the entire world to see, versus a neighbor calling for information.

This is only going to cause paranoia and distrust.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Even though that's true, it's different when a newspaper publishes all your information for the entire world to see, verses a neighbor calling for information.

This is only going to cause paranoia and distrust.
Has the media ever done anything other than cause paranoia and distrust?

Also "verses" is not the word you are looking for, sir.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Has the media ever done anything other than cause paranoia and distrust?
This.

I mean, I don't even know if there are laws against posting such information to the public, and if there are, damn the consequences as far as publishers are concerned if it means getting more people to read their papers.

:phone:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
And people say liberal media isn't sensationalist.

This list is really entirely pointless, it just causes a huge stir.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wait, this also means that everyone who DOESN'T have a gun in their home is public knowledge now.

Let's see who can't defend themselves

Kal

Smash Champion
Obviously, such a map would decrease risk for burglars. What the New York paper did was certainly within the bounds of the law. This doesn't make it more acceptable or moral. The right to privacy is more complex than simply "what you can't legally get is what's private." Some people believe that the right to privacy is innate, and that the government allowing someone to acquire this information legally does not preclude it from being an invasion of privacy.

Top Bottom