• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Until Equivalent Exchange forces itself into the equation. That's the problem with dreams. They are more vague on the details that hide the terrible cost behind them.
Well, that's why I prefer "equivalent replacements", as I find the discussions more interesting. But regardless~

...It's also why I probably can't answer that one well. That's way too many changes. That, and my most wanted would have to cut a very unique character, and there's none I would replace just like that~

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's only in terms of playable character slots and likely stage and item slots that this type of content is off-limits.
Which does pose an interesting question. Is Team Rocket off-limits? They're anime characters, but they've also been in the games. Ash-Greninja is a thing so the answer is probably yeeees? I guess the better question is "would they be willing to go back and add them", and considering the only character they've actually gone back to add was the gosh darn protagonist, I guess not.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Which does pose an interesting question. Is Team Rocket off-limits? They're anime characters, but they've also been in the games. Ash-Greninja is a thing so the answer is probably yeeees? I guess the better question is "would they be willing to go back and add them", and considering the only character they've actually gone back to add was the gosh darn protagonist, I guess not.
The thing is? Ash-Greninja is an upgrade to Greninja, an already existing game character. It's no different from a regular costume referencing a non-game item within a game franchise. Same as the Advent Children costumes. Or one of DK's costumes loosely referencing Eddy the Mean Old Yeti from the cartoon, etc.

These aren't characters who are first appearing in the anime(even if loosely based upon a game thing). And even then, those sometimes can potentially show up as a Spirit, but I don't think we ever had a case like that either. Just extremely minor references or regular costumes at best(the Mii Fighters could easily justify any costume of a character from a Nintendo franchise, but still keeps it to game-originating characters. Licensing wouldn't even matter much, though issues with how Pokemon are represented still exist, and possibly many costumes in general due to the same thing as Sakurai noting that he can't just go willy-nilly with any character. Every single one has the possibility the company that owns it, even Nintendo, not liking the implementation of it). And so on.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Regarding characters who placed highly on the fighter ballot, but didn’t make the cut, these would be my guesses for who is at the top. View attachment 388698

What do you all think? I imagine some Sonic characters did pretty well too.
Speaking of Sonic characters, I know that the most likely pick for the next Sonic rep would either be Shadow or Eggman… but I still think Tails and/or Knuckles would be pretty cool.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a new topic. Let's talk moveset design.

Ignoring any discussion regarding likelihood, priority or whether or not he should be in...

Seriously. DON'T do it.

How would you personally design Bandana Waddle Dee's moveset?

Ivander

Smash Legend
You know, reading this post just reminds me how much Team Rocket tends to get used for Jessie and James despite the fact that the group in the games is called Team Rocket and Jessie and James are simply part of that group and not Team Rocket as a whole. So it's like, when you asked that question, I'm like, "Don't we have Team Rocket as Mii Costumes?" And then you mention they're anime characters and I'm like, "No? Wait, they're talking about Jessie and James, who did originate in the anime."

Anyway, the biggest issue is Nintendo bringing in any human characters from the Pokemon series that aren't Red and Green into Smash Bros. I mean, we did get Professor Oak and Misty as trophies, but since Pokemon Trainer Red in Brawl, have we gotten any Pokemon trainer appearances besides Red(and Green later) since? What's more, like what happened to Cloud at first, we didn't even get Red and Green's FireRed and LeafGreen artwork compared to the other Pokemon characters. But compared to Cloud, they didn't even get an artwork update in a future update so they are stuck with the Smash Ultimate renders.

So it's like, first we got to get in trainer appearances that aren't just Red and Green in Smash Bros. After that, even if Jessie and James were to get by, they have to compete with almost all of the most popular, iconic and notable trainers that aren't them. The other Main Trainers like Ethan, Dawn, Rosa, etc, the Rivals like Blue, Silver, Marnie, etc, the Team leaders like Giovanni, Cyrus, N, Lusamine, etc and then the Champions like Lance, Steven, Leon and Miss Universe herself, Cynthia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom