• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SPEN18

Smash Champion
And I think what makes him opt against that character isn't impacted much by BWD's role in the series, because I don't think he really cares what happens in the non-Sakurai Kirby games. But I do think he cares about fan demand.

So I think the selection process will either have to involve Sakurai less, or present a case for BWD outside of achievement from within the games.
Sure, the fanbase could be overestimating how much Sakurai cares about Dee's increased role importance. I think at a certain point even Sakurai would have to take notice of how much the character is being pushed, but it's reasonable to suggest we might not be there yet.

Smash 4... might be a little early, considering when the roster was being chosen that guy really only had RtDL.
That I am inclined to agree with. Like, being the de facto player 4, especially in only one game, doesn't necessarily crown you heir apparent for the series' next rep. I do recall feeling that many Dee fans made a bit too much of the RtDL appearance at the time.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
That I am inclined to agree with. Like, being the de facto player 4, especially in only one game, doesn't necessarily crown you heir apparent for the series' next rep. I do recall feeling that many Dee fans made a bit too much of the RtDL appearance at the time.
I hate to be that one, but I may need some convincing here. If not for RtDL, what other game has Bandana Dee been important enough in to justify an inclusion? To my knowledge, Forgotten Land was the only other game that didn't give him a passive role.

The way I see it right now, people have been giving a lot of credence to him being absolutely next in line. But this is probably the exact trap that kills healthy speculation.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
The Brawl era was an incredibly different time. Third parties were seen as an exception and not the norm, and also under heavy rules. Snake was written off as a favor for Kojima, but the fanbase at large agreed third parties had to be one per company at most, had to have very strong Nintendo ties, and had to be the only character from their series.

So third party speculation largely centered around Sonic, Mega Man, Bomberman, the occasional Lloyd Irving, the even more occasional Travis Touchdown, and Geno. Very rarely someone might've brought up Nightmare due to "repaying the favor" from Soul Calibur having Link. Some would reminisce fondly on Banjo but ultimately brand him impossible.
Yeah, Brawl speculation was pretty wild back then. Sometimes, I tend to forget just how wild it was.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wasn't even a big pac man supporter but I remember how irrelevant people thought Pac Man was back in the day. I even had to bring up the fact that if Pac Man was so irrelevant why could I just go down to Walmart and get a Pac Man T-shirt.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I wasn't even a big pac man supporter but I remember how irrelevant people thought Pac Man was back in the day. I even had to bring up the fact that if Pac Man was so irrelevant why could I just go down to Walmart and get a Pac Man T-shirt.
When did Ghostly Adventure start airing? Depending on when they made those claims, they may not even be correct...

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Sure, the fanbase could be overestimating how much Sakurai cares about Dee's increased role importance. I think at a certain point even Sakurai would have to take notice of how much the character is being pushed, but it's reasonable to suggest we might not be there yet.
Without demand or someone else getting involved, I could see that point not arriving until it seemed weirder that MK is there and he isn't.

Though you'd also have to factor in how long Kirby can go without a newcomer before Sakurai feels obligated to address that. The other series outnumbering Kirby I think is less of a problem because eventually they're going to get cuts and be brought back down while Kirby probably won't.

And even if he feels the need to address Kirby's stagnation, Sakurai may choose one of his characters instead of Dee. Even though that makes less sense.

Well BWD popularity began simply because he was a notable character in the current game, which is all it really took before he started recurring. People had a Kirby newcomer slot they wanted to fill, but there was no obvious next in line, so it'd just shift from the current character to the current character, despite that not being how Kirby worked. Before BWD it was Prince Fluff, before him it was Daroach. Gooey would show up time to time.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
When did Ghostly Adventure start airing? Depending on when they made those claims, they may not even be correct...
June 2013; I vividly remember seeing episodes of the show between my 6th and 7th grades around that time…including a couple infamous episodes. I was a dumb 12-year-old okay

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Well BWD popularity began simply because he was a notable character in the current game, which is all it really took before he started recurring. People had a Kirby newcomer slot they wanted to fill, but there was no obvious next in line, so it'd just shift from the current character to the current character, despite that not being how Kirby worked. Before BWD it was Prince Fluff, before him it was Daroach. Gooey would show up time to time.
Ah, yes, I remember hearing about guys like Fluff and Daroach. Man, that feels like a long time ago...probably because it was.

And yeah Dee being the current flavor was definitely a lot of it. And that was also part of why I felt some fans made too much of his RtDL appearance; it was only one game and there was no guarantee it was gonna be the start of a sustained breakout. Even if he kept on appearing as the P4 character, I still didn't think that was necessarily gonna be enough role-importance-wise. He was at best the fourth most important in RtDL, probably even fifth if you include Magolor. Of course, Magolor was/is popular, too, though didn't end up recurring quite like Dee and (for quite a while) wasn't in a playable role.

I hate to be that one, but I may need some convincing here. If not for RtDL, what other game has Bandana Dee been important enough in to justify an inclusion? To my knowledge, Forgotten Land was the only other game that didn't give him a passive role.

The way I see it right now, people have been giving a lot of credence to him being absolutely next in line. But this is probably the exact trap that kills healthy speculation.
Well, at this point he has several playable and assisting roles, the height of them coming with being the "player 2" of FL. Sure, you can argue that a lot of his roles aren't all that important, or at least not "starring" roles. I wouldn't really argue with that. But he does appear more and is playable more than any other notable Kirby candidates, in addition to carrying the most popularity as of now, which is kind of the basis for saying he's next in line.

I do think at this point Dee is the strongest overall candidate for a Kirby newcomer but that doesn't mean there aren't other picks I'd like to ultimately see, too.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, Brawl speculation was pretty wild back then. Sometimes, I tend to forget just how wild it was.
Not wild at all considering the only 3rd party character announced so far was Snake. Sonic was the most requested character by far too, and eventually the only other 3rd party character making it.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Not wild at all considering the only 3rd party character announced so far was Snake. Sonic was the most requested character by far too, and eventually the only other 3rd party character making it.
I'm talking about speculation as for which characters seemed possible.

There's the whole Sigurd thing going on and after it was revealed that Sakurai was friends with Kojima, everyone tried to find whatever other game developer Sakurai was friends with. Or in some cases, tried to MAKE him friends with the developer.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master

Hes Kirbys Main Friend and assist/ Player 2 in these games:
Kirby and the rainbow paintbrush
Kirby Battle Royale
Kirby Fighters 2 (Hes on the artwork for player 2)
And while other than that (and fl and RTDL) hes been passive hes always there has tons of dialouge and heck impa is passive too and i think she 100% deserves a spot

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I liked what we saw at the Nintendo Direct, but they still mentioned something about Metroid Prime 4 and a new Donkey Kong game.
(Assuming you meant "I wish they still mentioned...") Same here. I'm surprised Prime 4 doesn't at least have enough for a teaser trailer, and DK doesn't have enough of a plan that they can say "The next game in the DK series is in development". Though at this point, I could see them postponing both games till the Switch's successor comes out. Since the Switch is such a success, I could see them sticking to it for a few more years, but I'd sooner expect the next console to come out within the next year or two. We'll see.

Stratos

Smash Ace
In the first Metroid Prime we know that Metroid Prime was also the name of the final boss who when defeated by Samus grabbed her Phazon Suit along with a sample of her DNA resulting in Metroid Prime becoming Dark Samus. In Metroid Prime 2: Echoes when Dark Samus was defeated we saw her degenerate, but we saw her again in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption where the same thing happened to her only it didn't show if she was somehow still alive there or completely gone. We also don't know if we'll see the same Dark Samus again, or if the Space Pirates found another way to make another Dark Samus, though I don't think the latter is the case.

Dukefire

Smash Master
In the first Metroid Prime we know that Metroid Prime was also the name of the final boss who when defeated by Samus grabbed her Phazon Suit along with a sample of her DNA resulting in Metroid Prime becoming Dark Samus. In Metroid Prime 2: Echoes when Dark Samus was defeated we saw her degenerate, but we saw her again in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption where the same thing happened to her only it didn't show if she was somehow still alive there or completely gone. We also don't know if we'll see the same Dark Samus again, or if the Space Pirates found another way to make another Dark Samus, though I don't think the latter is the case.
Phazon is done with Phaaze destroyed due to Samus killing her dark half at the core of the planet. Sylux is going to be the main focus and possibly another villian with Metroids still in play.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm talking about speculation as for which characters seemed possible.

There's the whole Sigurd thing going on and after it was revealed that Sakurai was friends with Kojima, everyone tried to find whatever other game developer Sakurai was friends with. Or in some cases, tried to MAKE him friends with the developer.
honestly i think spreading blatantly false information is epic and should be done more often. Here's an unrelated picture.
Grovyle propaganda.png

Stratos

Smash Ace
I liked what we saw at the Nintendo Direct, but they still mentioned something about Metroid Prime 4 and a new Donkey Kong game.
I should probably spell it right: I liked what we saw at the Nintendo Direct, but still they still didn't mention anything about Metroid Prime 4 and a new Donkey Kong game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can see a whole Direct being themed around DK tbh. A new game, DK Movie, and the new Mario Kart racers being Diddy, Funky and Dixie are a thing I envision quite clearly with this last Direct.

Maybe not a whole Direct though cause obviously I think Tears of the Kingdom will get DLC too, but you know, it could vd saved for all these events being put together.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You know, I saw someone say on Discord think that Sakurai may not do another Smash because Ultimate would be hard to top, something along those lines. I understand Sakurai perhaps not wanting to do another Smash, but for that reason?

I know he said "Everyone is here" probably won't happen again, but still, would that be a reason for him to not do another Smash Bros. game? I personally think that is not why he would not make another Smash Bros. game.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Oh, my bad, then.

Still, Sylux would not be a bad choice, though some want Raven Beak from Metroid Dread. Either way, we could use more Metroid reps.
Until we actually see Sylux in action and get some more info on them, Raven Beak is certainly the better rep.
  • For one, Metroid Dread definitely deserves some content due to being the long awaited Metroid 5 that was released, received very positively and is the best selling Metroid since Metroid Prime.
  • Besides being the main villain of Metroid Dread, Raven Beak's actions were the catalyst to the main Metroid series' story, with his refusal to destroy SR388 and the Metroids on it resulting in Mother Brain's attempt in capturing and forcefully creating more Metroids and in Samus' task in destroying the Metroids on SR388, which would result in her meeting the baby Metroid and allow the X to rise up in numbers.
  • He's a Chozo, probably the most important race in Metroid lore and to Samus herself. He himself also has a connection to Samus through his Mawkin Chozo DNA being given to her.
  • A lot of move potential from his battle in Dread, between his own Power Suit with armored claws and talons, wings for flying, shockwaves, black homing spheres, summoning a giant sun-like orb that releases it's own waves of energy and firing and using his Power Laser like a sword.
I think it makes alot of sense why Raven Beak is decently popular and why quite a bunch voiced their want for him to appear in Smash Bros. after Metroid Dread had come out.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I had thought of something with the new Donkey Kong game, they could put enemies inspired by Australian animals that are a mercenary faction and their leader is a Tasmanian devil. I was also inspired by this thought when I remembered the Mortal Kombat Legends: Snow Blind movie where Kano was the main villain who is also Australian like the main Mortal Kombat games have him. Although I would like King K. Rool to return.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Until we actually see Sylux in action and get some more info on them, Raven Beak is certainly the better rep.
  • For one, Metroid Dread definitely deserves some content due to being the long awaited Metroid 5 that was released, received very positively and is the best selling Metroid since Metroid Prime.
  • Besides being the main villain of Metroid Dread, Raven Beak's actions were the catalyst to the main Metroid series' story, with his refusal to destroy SR388 and the Metroids on it resulting in Mother Brain's attempt in capturing and forcefully creating more Metroids and in Samus' task in destroying the Metroids on SR388, which would result in her meeting the baby Metroid and allow the X to rise up in numbers.
  • He's a Chozo, probably the most important race in Metroid lore and to Samus herself. He himself also has a connection to Samus through his Mawkin Chozo DNA being given to her.
  • A lot of move potential from his battle in Dread, between his own Power Suit with armored claws and talons, wings for flying, shockwaves, black homing spheres, summoning a giant sun-like orb that releases it's own waves of energy and firing and using his Power Laser like a sword.
I think it makes alot of sense why Raven Beak is decently popular and why quite a bunch voiced their want for him to appear in Smash Bros. after Metroid Dread had come out.
Yeah, though I am unfamiliar with both, I am starting to like Raven Beak as a rep better than Sylux.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I had thought of something with the new Donkey Kong game, they could put enemies inspired by Australian animals that are a mercenary faction and their leader is a Tasmanian devil. I was also inspired by this thought when I remembered the Mortal Kombat Legends: Snow Blind movie where Kano was the main villain who is also Australian like the main Mortal Kombat games have him. Although I would like King K. Rool to return.
How would you implement an attack where he spins like a tornado, while making it legally distinct from the Warner Bros. character? :4pacman:

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I saw someone say on Discord think that Sakurai may not do another Smash because Ultimate would be hard to top, something along those lines. I understand Sakurai perhaps not wanting to do another Smash, but for that reason?

I know he said "Everyone is here" probably won't happen again, but still, would that be a reason for him to not do another Smash Bros. game? I personally think that is not why he would not make another Smash Bros. game.
I agree that Sakurai wouldn't make a sequel for that reason, but I also distinctly recall that one of the big reasons for him making Ultimate was because it was the last request he ever got from Satoru Iwata before he passed. I may be recalling a bit of info wrong, but it always painted a picture in my mind that it was that wish that made Sakurai go as hard as he did to put some sort of final nail in the series.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I agree that Sakurai wouldn't make a sequel for that reason, but I also distinctly recall that one of the big reasons for him making Ultimate was because it was the last request he ever got from Satoru Iwata before he passed. I may be recalling a bit of info wrong, but it always painted a picture in my mind that it was that wish that made Sakurai go as hard as he did to put some sort of final nail in the series.
Yes, the part about Iwata is true. Even though it was a last request, I don't think that means Sakurai is done with the series or the series is finished altogether. In the latter case, I can see another person make the game if Sakurai does not want to do it, but given how successful it is, I can't see Nintendo let Smash Bros. die that easily.

Stratos

Smash Ace
How would you implement an attack where he spins like a tornado, while making it legally distinct from the Warner Bros. character? :4pacman:
I guess you've figured out that the Tasmanian devil species actually exists, so I wasn't inspired by anything from Taz other than his species. Here's what a Tasmanian devil actually looks like:
1687815096202.png

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm a bit late on the topic, but regarding Dee being considered or not to be part of the roster based in how playable or important he is in games and how many of them... I instantly think it is silly to even analyze it in such way, when we get a freaking random mario enemy over someone like Waluigi or anyone else in the franchise who you can actually play as in games and have actually have fans behind them.

So in conclusion... I doubt we can really tell the logic (or lack of it) behind a character getting in based off such things (off topic, relevance as a factor also died the moment banjo and king k rool joined), when we have the nonsense of PP happening over any other more important/relevant/whatever mario character, lol.

At this point i think it's a combination of fan demand and 50/50 luck on whatever nintendo goes with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom