• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
Do you guys think it’s too early for major gaming companies to start utilizing AI in their consoles? I’ve seen a bunch of really fascinating videos of AI characters in games that the player can have real conversations with. It can also be really useful in giving the player a lot more freedom in creativity. I know it’s a bit of a controversial issue now and for good reason because it may cost a lot of people jobs, hence the actors and writers strikes going on right now but the potential is exciting if people can figure out how to minimize the negative effects. If they can work that out, it could be a really interesting feature in a new console.
I think there is quite the potential with it, even if so far, it mostly improves upon older things like random generation(like generated maps, layouts, etc) and allows open conversations more akin to something like Event Zero or those games with text chat and characters that have a lot of answers for what you type to them. And how it's been helping out with making some things more easier to do, like developing and programming, which is good for developers.

But yeah, despite the positives it can bring, undeniably some of the negatives are going to be just as big and they do need to be looked at and worked upon tactfully. And despite the positives that some people want to bring with the technology, you'll have the other group of people who simply want to use the AI for their own benefit, whether for money or something much more concerning. Which overshadows the positives and makes people focus only on the bad.
The whole deal with the movie industry with that contract thing and letting the AI do whatever with the actors' likeness and writers' work is a horrible mess for both the actors & writers and for the people who want AI to help out other people. And it's something that many works/creations/etc, groups or good intentions have to deal with. When something with benefits comes forth, even if the original intention was good, those with bad intentions aren't far behind.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as AI recreating vocal performances, I think you're going to both initially contracts and maybe even some legal action long term where companies doing that for official releases is generally pared down and that performers get strong control about who can and can't recreate their voices.

As far as fan projects go? The cat's out of the bag on that. Stuff like mods, art, and general fan games are already barely controlled (if at all) and people creating stuff like downloads of new campaigns in Fallout with AI vocal recreations of all the relevant characters is a question of when, not if.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
DS reps? Here are some possibilities

• A gen 4/5 Pokemon
  • Dr. Kawashima from Brain Age
  • Dr. Lobe from Big Brain Academy
  • Savvy Stylist
  • Vince from Art Academy
  • a Rhythm Heaven rep (worldwide debut was on DS)
  • and just to get wild, Nintendog

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
images (5).jpeg

/j
Anyway, I really wish this game was represented Smash. I really like them being in Smash CMC+.
Monster_Tale_Coverart.png

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

• A gen 4/5 Pokemon
  • Savvy Stylist
  • Vince from Art Academy
There is another...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
In all seriousness though.

I think the next likely character that originated on the DS is...

Ashley

From Wario Ware.

Wario Ware is no longer in hibernation and is firing on all cylinders. I think another Wario Ware character is something we should consider.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
In all seriousness though.

I think the next likely character that originated on the DS is...

Ashley

From Wario Ware.

Wario Ware is no longer in hibernation and is firing on all cylinders. I think another Wario Ware character is something we should consider.
I agree.
I think Vince from Art Academy as well might be possible, we don't have an artist character yet,

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Hell yeah DS reps! I'm holding out hope for the budgie from Nintendo DSi Sound to finally get his chance in the spotlight

Jokes aside, I think Neku Sakuraba could have a chance, depending on what the plans are with third-parties going forward. Admittedly, his time may have passed, but the big marketing push toward the TWEWY series as a whole - coupled with its decent history of rereleases, history with Nintendo specifically, and fan appreciation & community - may potentially push it as a series to consider. But then it is a Square-Enix series so I guess not

Laniv

Smash Champion

• A gen 4/5 Pokemon
  • Savvy Stylist
  • Vince from Art Academy
Another idea: The Nintendo DS rep is, in fact, the Nintendo DS system itself. Nintendo 3DS is an echo. :4pacman:

DemifiendEnjoyer

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this is really the proper board for this, but I want to share this crazy thought I had.
What if the Sora Amiibo isn't just Sora it is actually in a dual release/two pack with one of two other characters Roxas or Vanitas.
So I know it can be generally assumed that Ultimate will have no full new characters, but I feel like Echo Fighters/bonus costumes could possibly still happen if there is new content coming.
And yes, I do feel like the number of costumes per character could go past eight, there really is no reason not too.
And if the hypothetical character was just an alternate costume, Alex has an Amiibo, Cloud, Bayonetta, and Corin all have several, I see no reason why Ventus/Vanitas couldn't have one.
As for Ventus, he might not even need his own Amiibo, since he and Sora (kind of) are the same person, they could share an amiibo like they share a body in the Kingdom Hearts games, Even if as an echo he has his own slot.
Vanitas is also interesting, Sakurai has always said one of his goals with Ultimate was to include more villains, and this remained apparent even in Fighter Pass 2, which had Zombie, Enderman, Sephiroth, and Kazuya. Venitas is a villain and he resembles Sora. It seems fitting to include a villain from the final series to join the game as an echo or alternate costume. Vanitas may also seem like an odd choice due to his relative obscurity, but we did get Richter as an echo, so it seems at least possible.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't know if this is really the proper board for this, but I want to share this crazy thought I had.
What if the Sora Amiibo isn't just Sora it is actually in a dual release/two pack with one of two other characters Roxas or Vanitas
I stopped reading here.

Mate, this is some major copium.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Either we got Sora, Sora with more than one alt version(like we got with R.O.B.), or we get no amiibo at all.

And the relative quietness about Sora having an amiibo is pretty noticeable.

At least we should have a direct soon, hopefully~ :)

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
i got my account back yay.

hi.

if we're getting more content its not going to be new kingdom hearts characters or stages probably.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
i stand by the direct, if it's real, being 25 minutes of farm simulators and then another 15 minutes about pikmin 4 dlc which is just like, an additional 20 objects in the world that you can pick up if you want, but costs about $30
pikmin 4 dlc would be much better, its one of the best price to content nintendo games on the system.

pikmin is also fairly big now.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace

• A gen 4/5 Pokemon
  • Savvy Stylist
  • Vince from Art Academy
Most likely Ashley from Warioware Touched or a Rhythm Heaven rep. And I think it'll be the Glee Club; the 3 choir boys and the conductor in the background of the battle like the Pokemon Trainer.

Last edited:

DemifiendEnjoyer

Smash Apprentice
So like, hypothetically if there was another Smash game coming soon, what would you like the announcement/teaser trailer to be like? (And what characters would you reveal first?)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So like, hypothetically if there was another Smash game coming soon, what would you like the announcement/teaser trailer to be like? (And what characters would you reveal first?)
Biggest pipe dream ever but it would be amazing if a smash reveal trailer had the basic Smash cast plus Banjo, before revealing Masterchief walking in to fight Mario, and as they fight we see a third character, who is then revealed to be Ratchet from Sony.

So we'd have a gameplay trailer showing Nintendo vs Microsoft vs Sony.

DemifiendEnjoyer

Smash Apprentice
It begins with a black screen, 0 indication of what this could be.
We see a light appear, as it comes into focus it is shown to be Mario’s hand, holding a fireball, but we don't see his face.
Again in a black void another shot begins, Marth picks up the Falchion, again we don't see his face.
Then in another black void, we see Pit holding one of the pieces of his Bow, we again don't see his face.
Then once again in a black void, we see Villager holding the net, and we again don’t see his face.
And then again in another black void, we see the Inkling readying the Splattershot, and we still don't see her face.
Finally in a black void, we see a Purple Tennis Racket, with an upside down L, held by a glove with a matching symbol, we don't see the face of the one holding it, the screen fades to black.
And then a logo is shown “Super Smash Bros. Returns”

Each scene represents a previous game in the series, Mario is 64, Marth is Melee, Pit is Brawl, Villager is 4, Inkling is Ultimate, and the new character, Waluigi who is 100% going to be in it if there is a new Smash game, represents the new game Super Smash Bros. Returns.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Start it off like the beginning of the first Smash 4 trailer where they briefly show the characters in their series' settings and logos and end it by revealing Ryu Hayabusa just like they did Mega Man in that same trailer.

Now sure what else to show but that's how I want beginning and ending to be.

Originally, if Hayabusa was going to be in Ultimate, I had the idea that his reveal trailer would be a continuation of Ridley's. But if he's going to be in the next Smash, then he might need an independent trailer.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If they really want to catch my attention for the next Smash what they should do is pick up right at the end of the Sora trailer.

Have the handshake and the background be the same but have a flash of light and Mario and Sora turn to it to see…

This is literally the only part I don’t care what happens but I think it has to be someone who is just as big of a deal as Sora if not bigger. I’m talking like Master Chief or Kratos level big. Like, hey you thought last Smash was impossible come true, look at this ****.

As the character makes their appearance a glint of fire, previously seen in the Sora trailer set a spark the ignites the ground and the Smash Logo forms around the group on the ground. The Ultimate Smash characters filling up the top right, larger piece of the logo with the new character standing in the top left smaller part. At the end the camera shifts to some more different mysterious figures in the remaining two pieces of the logo.

Total intrigue and enough hype to stir up the internet while hinting towards more characters. Doesn’t show too much just like the Inkling trailer before it, but showing just enough to make anyone, anywhere take notice.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
As for the trailer itself, it'd be short as an introduction, but is intended to get people talking and kick the hype train off with a bang. This is presuming some sort of expanded rerelease of Ultimate, by the way.

I'd probably have a "One More Thing..." at the end of a prominent Nintendo Direct, before starting up a bright and cheery-looking scene of Kirby on some of Pop Star's grassy fields - shortly thereafter accompanied by King Dedede and Meta Knight. They all greet each other with smiles - Dedede hugs Kirby tightly as Meta Knight nods to their side - before Bandanna Waddle Dee comes rushing over the horizon from the distance and the sky begins to darken, warning the trio of something behind them. The sky sets alight as close to 90 silhouettes can be seen in front of them - yep, it's a recreation of the original Ultimate trailer, now complete with every single character from that game! We then cut back to Kirby, then King Dedede, then Meta Knight, all of whom are in battle-ready poses - joined by Bandanna Waddle Dee! - before a hard-cut to a white screen on which animates the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate logo... before a fade invert, the logo turns white and the background black, and with a sparkling effect below... DELUXE.

Why Bandanna Waddle Dee as our first newcomer? Well, I don't really think there's an Inkling-level "no duh" inclusion in the next Smash, so it makes sense to go with a "hype" pick, whilst not raising expectations too much. Bandanna Waddle Dee is an obvious inclusion with history and potential, as well as a lot of fan support - but unlike, say, Waluigi or Geno, he's not as likely to spoil potential spikes in hype that'd be good for marketing. (Say, if there's a special Ultimate Deluxe Direct, Waluigi as one of the announcements would surely turn some heads!) That said, there's also an indication toward more first-party characters being on the table - our massive third-party picks can come later down the line, it's important to give Nintendo itself some love. Plus, there's some precedent for Kirby specifically kicking off a Smash game, considering the series' impact on Smash as a whole. I think this'd be neat.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Kratos or Master Chief are going to happen because their franchises have no presence in Nintendo platforms, but it would be hype for sure.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Depends on What it is, If it is Ult Deluxe then I think Octoling would be the obvious choice and maybe have the reveal Mirror the initial reveal of ult in some way

If it is a brand new game, I think they should just go all out and show either a big reveal or if the game is super different, show the differences and a lighter reveal.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I don't think there's much of a pattern to who they reveal first other than some big newcomer being part of it. It's not like all the newcomers have to be big. And to date there's always been a big first-party, but I don't think that has to happen. It probably will, though, given the priority of base skews Nintendo.

One trend is that they reveal the characters on the box towards the beginning of reveals. This is probably both to get ahead of leaks and so they can reveal the cover sooner than later. And they put bigger/more recognizable characters on the front of the box.

Another thing to note is that, despite their focus and appeal, there's never been a third-party on the front cover of a Smash game. I'm gonna guess this has something to do with licensing, either in terms of additional costs, or to not show unequal "favoritism" as it could be seen.

And so if next game comes with a typical amount of base newcomers, and with substantial cuts, I do think they have to come out swinging with the reveals to offset the news that not all characters will return (if they choose to disclose that then, which I think they should, rather than spring it on the audience later).

I think they need to have a Brawl-like reveal, with at least one megaton first-party, and one of the base third-parties, and several more thrown in. Problem is the decreasing amount of megaton first-parties... so barring another Splatoon-like new-IP situation, that may fall to Waluigi. I don't think anyone else covers the spread as well as he does.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
All games previous to Ultimate, Sakurai said he designed as if they were to be the last. IIRC in an interview shortly after Ult's release, he stated he would be open to a sequel pretty much from the get go. I think this is secret code.

My prediction: this is the last.

Also hi.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If they really want to catch my attention for the next Smash what they should do is pick up right at the end of the Sora trailer.

Have the handshake and the background be the same but have a flash of light and Mario and Sora turn to it to see…

This is literally the only part I don’t care what happens but I think it has to be someone who is just as big of a deal as Sora if not bigger. I’m talking like Master Chief or Kratos level big. Like, hey you thought last Smash was impossible come true, look at this ****.
The Battle bus flies out from the Smash logo, to Sora and Mario's surprise as a figure jumps out of it, he lands and the camera pans up to reveal "JONESY DIVES INTO BATTLE"

Top Bottom