• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I've seen something similar with Disney Speedstorm's fandom, there's a few people who don't like having "non-disney" stuff added to their games, EX Marvel, Star Wars, Simpsons.
Lol, those guys are gonna have a meltdown at Kingdom Hearts 4 then.

It's all Disney man. And I can understand wanted to limit something to, say, Disney's animated children's properties. But like it or not, that includes Ice Age now.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

It's all Disney man. And I can understand wanted to limit something to, say, Disney's animated children's properties. But like it or not, that includes Ice Age now.
Yeah, I’m actually pretty excited to see a lot of Disney owned properties that aren’t necessarily thought of mainline Disney properties in the future for Kingdom Hearts. Star Wars and Marvel are the obvious picks but I think seeing an Alien and/or Predator world would be awesome (though unlikely due to their R rating). Other properties like the Simpsons could be a lot of fun too.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Yeah I think it'll be underwhelming if you go in with normal Direct expectations. It's probably going to be the last one before the Switch 2 gets revealed, so it's presumably just going to be 2024 Switch games, which now seem to be in the tail-end phase of mostly being ports, remakes and spin-offs.

And we already know a decent amount of what's coming in the next few months, so the number of new first-party reveals may be pretty limited. I'd guess that forever-rumored FE remake will probably show up. Outside of that... who knows.

The third-party stuff could have some neat surprises, but if one of them is Hi-Fi Rush, well... that reveal has lost some of its cache. And that could've been one of the most noteworthy announcements, it is a first-party MS game. I wouldn't expect much big, but some cool ports seem possible.
FE4 remake would be a great get in this next Direct.
Seems like they might be sending it to the pits sales-wise like SoV, though SoV eventually crawled to 1mil units so with the Switch boost it might be ok.
I always thought the Three Houses assets and style were very fitting for FE4, though with Engage already happening idk what the remake might actually look like.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Star Wars and Marvel are the obvious picks but I think seeing an Alien and/or Predator world would be awesome (though unlikely due to their R rating). Other properties like the Simpsons could be a lot of fun too.
Going around Springfield fighting Heartless with Homer and Bart as your allies.
(I can picture a boss fight taking place at the power plant against a giant nuclear/radiation themed Heartless where there could be a time limit involving a meltdown occurring)

Fighting the Xenomorph Queen herself would be pretty epic.

Even going up against Darth Vader and Thanos would be awesome.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
When it comes to Disney acquisitions in kingdom hearts, people really should discuss the muppets more
Oh yeah that same mobile game I mentioned last night also had outrage when the Muppets was added last month.

Not because it wasn’t “worthy” (quite the opposite, lots were happy Muppets were coming in) but because of the character additions:

Kermit
Rowlf
Swedish Chef (he cost extra)
Animal
Miss Piggy

That’s right, Fozzie Bear and Gonzo sat this one out. People weren’t happy.

Edit: If Muppets were added to Kingdom Hearts, Statler and Waldorf must make commentary.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So if Disney now owns the muppets, does that extend to Sesame Street? I know Kermit is part of both properties so I was never sure if they had the same ownership.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
They own the Muppets, but not Sesame Street as that show is instead owned by Warner Bros.
Warner Bros doesn’t own Sesame Street, they have the rights to air the show on Max with delayed airing on PBS Kids.

The company that owns Sesame Street is Sesame Workshop.

Also, Sesame Workshop has a license from Disney allowing them to use the term “Muppet” when referring to the Sesame Street ones only (plus archival footage of Kermit)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh yeah that same mobile game I mentioned last night also had outrage when the Muppets was added last month.

Not because it wasn’t “worthy” (quite the opposite, lots were happy Muppets were coming in) but because of the character additions:

Kermit
Rowlf
Swedish Chef (he cost extra)
Animal
Miss Piggy

That’s right, Fozzie Bear and Gonzo sat this one out. People weren’t happy.

Edit: If Muppets were added to Kingdom Hearts, Statler and Waldorf must make commentary.
I dunno, doesn’t sound too bad a line up to me

Warner Bros doesn’t own Sesame Street, they have the rights to air the show on Max with delayed airing on PBS Kids.

The company that owns Sesame Street is Sesame Workshop.

Also, Sesame Workshop has a license from Disney allowing them to use the term “Muppet” when referring to the Sesame Street ones only (plus archival footage of Kermit)
I’m gonna have to check to see if the Jim Henson company still owns anything

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, I’m actually pretty excited to see a lot of Disney owned properties that aren’t necessarily thought of mainline Disney properties in the future for Kingdom Hearts. Star Wars and Marvel are the obvious picks but I think seeing an Alien and/or Predator world would be awesome (though unlikely due to their R rating). Other properties like the Simpsons could be a lot of fun too.
I saw somebody joke about a world based on It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia, and as unlikely as that is, the fact we can even suggest something like that and have it be at least SOMEWHAT plausible is funny to me.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I dunno, doesn’t sound too bad a line up to me

I’m gonna have to check to see if the Jim Henson company still owns anything
1. Trust me when I say people were unhappy not getting Fozzie and Gonzo. I also don’t mind the lineup.

Plus Fozzie and Gonzo had NPC cameos along with a few others.

2. Maybe Fraggle Rock? Wikipedia page goes over everything and that’s the only one I know that is not owned by another.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
1. Trust me when I say people were unhappy not getting Fozzie and Gonzo. I also don’t mind the lineup.

Plus Fozzie and Gonzo had NPC cameos along with a few others.

2. Maybe Fraggle Rock? Wikipedia page goes over everything and that’s the only one I know that is not owned by another.
1. I don’t doubt it. Look how crazy people get over smash inclusions

2. there appears to be a fraggle in inside out 2

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Is there a second Disney character you would like to see in Smash? My number one is Xemnas (KH2) followed by Ansem (KH1). I love the design of both characters, particularly Xemnas’ white coat design and I’m always up for more villains in Smash. Alternatively, a transformation character that incorporated Ansem, Xemnas, and Xehanort would be really cool since they all technically started as the same person.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Is there a second Disney character you would like to see in Smash? My number one is Xemnas (KH2) followed by Ansem (KH1). I love the design of both characters, particularly Xemnas’ white coat design and I’m always up for more villains in Smash. Alternatively, a transformation character that incorporated Ansem, Xemnas, and Xehanort would be really cool since they all technically started as the same person.
Maybe someone from the Lucasarts side like Guybrush Threepwood?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Oh, to live in the timeline where Club Penguin had a non-zero chance...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
riku, kairi or roxas for me

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Can't really think of anything disney-made outside of KH and grandfathered LucasArts stuff, tbh. People make the case for Wreck-It Ralph from time to time but like... he's obviously a movie character, not a video game one. Yes, he did technically appear in a promotional arcade game they made before the movie released but that was clearly marketing related to the movie. Treating him like he's an actual video game character would just be wrong IMO.

Wait, Toontown exists. I want Flippy in Smash now (though I worry that them referencing Toontown again in any way might spell trouble for the private servers that exist).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If for some very unlikely reason they decide to drop the game character requirement or Disney and Nintendo make a crossover fighter without that restriction the choice becomes a lot harder for me. Xemnas is still definitely up there but he might get beat out by Venom and Predator personally. There’s a ton of other characters I like a lot too that happen to be owned by Disney and I really liked a lot of their animated in house movies from when I was a kid too.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
peter griffin for smash 6
He’s already a mod over K. Rool in Ultimate that’s pretty funny. I’m personally open to non game characters but most people are very opposed to the idea. We certainly don’t need them as there are tons of game specific characters to choose from but I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t be hyped for my favorite characters outside of gaming appearing in Smash. I totally understand people that want to keep it focused on game characters so Smash doesn’t lose its identity and become another MUGEN or Fortnite though.

Last edited:

MrBlueSky26

Smash Rookie
He’s already a mod over K. Rool in Ultimate that’s pretty funny. I’m personally open to non game characters but most people are very opposed to the idea. We certainly don’t need them as there are tons of game specific characters to choose from but I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t be hyped for my favorite characters outside of gaming appearing in Smash.
sans

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

You say that as if people haven't voiced the gripes already. Grumbles and Disappointment have shown over Endor inclusion for KH4 for SW and possibly Marvel or even the recent Disney TV animation shows making the cut.

Personally wouldn't mind SW joining the cut due to both series being similar in themes. The others, eh.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Unrelated to anything but it frustrates me that if we we're to get a Wii Sports moveset in a future smash game it'd be the Sportsmates taking up that mantle instead of the Miis. Sportsmates are such a downgrade, man...
I don’t care for either of them but if I had to choose, I think I’d go with the sportsmates. Miis just never really resonated with me despite my love of character creators. Nothing against anyone that does like Miis, they’re just not my thing personally.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Unrelated to anything but it frustrates me that if we we're to get a Wii Sports moveset in a future smash game it'd be the Sportsmates taking up that mantle instead of the Miis. Sportsmates are such a downgrade, man...
Ngl, that would be the perfect compromise.

Not a fan of Sportsmates either but having them being the main representation of Wii Sports and having the Miis left as the Mii Fighters for the ultimate customisations would resonate quite well.

Honestly, Other species like lnkling could be available for customization like the Mii are. Imagine importing your Inkling from the main games into Smash.

I personally don’t care for either of them but if I had to choose, I think I’d go with the sportsmates. Miis just never really resonated with me despite my love of character creators.
You love character creators but choose sportsmates over miis? a contradiction if i ever saw one.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ngl, that would be the perfect compromise.

Not a fan of Sportsmates either but having them being the main representation of Wii Sports and then having Mii left as the Mii Fighters for the ultimate customizations would resonate quite well.

Honestly, Other species like lnkling could be available for customization like the Mii are. Imagine importing your Inkling from the main games into Smash.

You love character creators but choose sportsmates over miis? a contradiction if i ever saw one.
I’m just going by the general aesthetic of the default character. I’ve never played the Switch or Wii U sports games so I wasn’t aware the sportsmates aren’t customizable like the Miis are. I spent a crazy amount of time in WWE and Soul Calibur character creators. I could never really get the end result for Miis to look like something I was happy with. That’s just me though and my personal preferences. I’m also not really big on Animal Crossing (particularly human) or Pikmin aesthetics but it’s cool for those that are. We all have different preferences.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
1704826649598.png

I want this guy brought back. While his writing is laughably bad, I don't feel he necessarily deserve so much hate. While he's technically only a movie character in origin rather than video game, he would've made an interesting addition to Smash. Strictly following his 80s Mario movie look, I easily see how creatively you can pull a moveset for the guy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If they go with Roxas, they might as well give us Ventus too since they look exactly the same. I only beat Aqua’s story and most of Terra’s so I’m not sure how close Ventus’ moveset is to Sora’s for that to truly work though.
well ven hold's his keyblade reverse grip and his moveset is more focused on speed rather than generally picking what you prefer with sora

Gengar84

Smash Hero
homer is unique enough to be his own fighter, i feel like cleveland should be his echo
They could probably take a lot of his moves and animations from the classic Simpsons arcade game. I believe there was also a Simpsons wrestling game that they could use to fill in the rest as well as a few references to some specific episodes of the show.

MrBlueSky26

Smash Rookie
They could probably take a lot of his moves and animations from the classic Simpsons arcade game. I believe there was also a Simpsons wrestling game that they could use to fill in the rest as well as a few references to some specific episodes of the show.
i really just want decidueye, braixen, and zeraora in the game

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i really just want decidueye, braixen, and zeraora in the game
Those would a be pretty cool. i particularly like Zeraora out of those. My top three favorites are Gengar, Cofagrigus, and Golisopod but there are so many really cool Pokemon that it's hard to narrow it down. Another that I really like that I think has an actual chance is Hisuian Zoroark.

Last edited:
Top Bottom