• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Who is the resident? And why are they so evil?
They were made edgier and heavier for American audiences; hence the name change. It’s similar to how Kirby looks angrier on American versions of the cover art.

In Japan, they’re actually very nice. They are not fully transformed zombies within the narrative of the original release. Instead of the demonic mindless cries, the zombies instead speak, asking: “すみません、とてもお腹が空いています。 あなたの体から食べてもいいですか? お願いします?”. Of course, the translation team made a very inexpensive choice for localization. Very fascinating piece of gaming trivia!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I remembered that every Smash game since Brawl has had two 3rd party newcomers in the base game.

Brawl: Sonic and Snake
Sm4sh: Mega Man and PAC-MAN
Ultimate, counting Echoes: Simon, Richter and Ken

So if the next Smash game had two 3rd party newcomers in the base game, not including Echoes, who would you like to see?
Rayman and Chun-Li.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I remembered that every Smash game since Brawl has had two 3rd party newcomers in the base game.

So if the next Smash game had two 3rd party newcomers in the base game, not including Echoes, who would you like to see?
If I'm making a realistic prediction?
Bomberman and Zero.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Prediction: Jill Valentine and Arle

Wishlist: Doom Slayer and Phoenix Wright

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Rayman and Bomberman for me, honestly.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

Ryu Hayabusa and Kunio (with Riki as an echo but you said they're not included).

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
They were made edgier and heavier for American audiences; hence the name change. It’s similar to how Kirby looks angrier on American versions of the cover art.

In Japan, they’re actually very nice. They are not fully transformed zombies within the narrative of the original release. Instead of the demonic mindless cries, the zombies instead speak, asking: “すみません、とてもお腹が空いています。 あなたの体から食べてもいいですか? お願いします?”. Of course, the translation team made a very inexpensive choice for localization. Very fascinating piece of gaming trivia!
That's so sweet aww I would probably willingly let them eat me in game at least once.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I booted up Smash and checked which non-character franchises had more than just a couple spirits. By couple, I mean two. Two seems to be the most your regular franchise would get. I'm also not counting franchises that got added through updates as those usually came in batches of three or four no matter what.

StreetPass Mii Plaza
Advance Wars
Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (That's where Prince Sable is from)
Custom Robo
Golden Sun
Magical Vacation
The Legendary Starfy
Rhythm Heaven
Chibi-Robo!
Nintendogs
Shovel Knight*
Culdcept*
ARMS**

*Not technically first party, but Nintendo has some rights to them.
** Formally no character

These are franchises that had more than just the usual 1-2 spirits. In particular Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven had a lot more than the rest. Are Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven the franchises that just barely made it? And what of the others? Are they franchises that Nintendo considers important, even if they don't have a character?
I'm mainly focusing on the proposed question of "is this an IP Nintendo considers important", not just with regards to Smash likelihood.

Nintendogs, I mean, yeah absolutely. Hugely successful casual title.

Starfy I would say would definitely have been up there at one point. He used to get consistent, decently popular releases, made cameos, was developed by a longtime Nintendo partner, I think there was certainly A Point where Nintendo considered him a somewhat noteworthy figure. Chibi-Robo is a weird one where the series never really did that well to begin with but Nintendo perservered with it for a long time (whether they did it right is debatable but I digress....) and I think that does count for something.

Advance Wars is an interesting one for sure. If you were to ask me if Nintendo considers the Wars series important, I would say probably. But it's yet another matter of regional difference that's at play here - in the West, Advance Wars is the most well-regarded Wars series, but in Japan, what's most fondly remembered is the original Famicom Wars - with that game's commercial in particular being very iconic to a certain generation of Famicom kids. So I....guess I would ultimately say kind of yeah? At least Smash seems to give Advance Wars its flowers.

Custom Robo's a big ol question mark. I haven't looked into its history in the Culture as much as some of the others featured here, but it's one of those series' that always get brought up whenever dead Ninty IP are mentioned, it always comes around whenever a new VC/NSO thing has N64 (at least in Japan....), I think it might be decently well-regarded? Again, I don't know. I think at least Smash seems to treat it with some regard.

Magical Vacation.....I well and truly have no idea. I know nothing about this series. I have done no research on it. I stand defeated.

I saved Kaeru no Tameni for last cause I think it's the one I have the most interesting insight on - basically, I see it as a lesser-extent version of something like Murasame Castle. It's a very old game that never got any sequels and never left Japan, but it was developed internally by some of the big players at the company (namely it was a Yoshio Sakamoto joint), it's considered a real cult classic/hidden gem from Nintendo's output (mainly in Japan), and it's kept being referenced over the years. So I actually think this one has a stronger case than one might intitially think. Personally I'm a big fan. They should totally put Prince's Adventure as a track in Smash.

In general this question can be a bit tough as Nintendo doesn't really tend to reference a lot of their older, not-in-Smash IP besides, well, Smash. For as much as people meme about companies like SEGA or even Capcom having tons of dead franchises, at least these have had plenty of material over the years that can be used as reference with regards to which IP they treat with reverence - Nintendo not so much, at least not so much stuff that includes these kinds of games.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Custom Robo's a big ol question mark. I haven't looked into its history in the Culture as much as some of the others featured here, but it's one of those series' that always get brought up whenever dead Ninty IP are mentioned, it always comes around whenever a new VC/NSO thing has N64 (at least in Japan....), I think it might be decently well-regarded? Again, I don't know. I think at least Smash seems to treat it with some regard.
Custom Robo is a really strange case because it was getting a steady slew of games until it just.....stopped getting them. It had 2 games on the N64, a game on the GBA, a game on the Gamecube and it's last game was on the Nintendo DS and no one knows why they just suddenly stopped doing them. All of them got above-average reviews, with the Gamecube Custom Robo being the best received one.
Although if anything, there's little to no data regarding how much it was selling aside from the first N64 game in Japan which supposedly sold 35,579 copies on it's first week. So there's no telling if Custom Robo was going through an F-Zero scenario where it kept selling lower and lower(which feels harder to believe considering Custom Robo Arena was on the Nintendo DS and there was a bigger audience for the DS compared to the Gamecube) or if Nintendo just suddenly didn't have interest in the series anymore.

As someone who played the Gamecube and DS games, the Gamecube version was easily one of my favorite Gamecube games while Arena was also fun, but felt somewhat more stiffer to play due to the lower framerate and not having a control stick. Story-wise for the most part, all of the Custom Robo games follow the plot similarly to other collector-type games where:
  1. You are a new student at a school
  2. You are given a new Robo that you've been wanting
  3. You meet a group of friends who are interested in the same hobby as you,
  4. You start rising to the top in competitions
  5. Fight against an evil terrorist organization between events and eventually a big final battle against the big boss and their henchmen
  6. Fight against the Champion Robo battler.
It's pretty much like that for all the Custom Robo games EXCEPT for the Gamecube version which subverts so many tropes associated with the Story of many Collection-based games and has some pretty Raw moments in story-telling for a Nintendo game that involves collecting Robos and Robo Parts. Heck, it came out in 2004 before there was a whole slew of Collection-based games that also tried to be hardcore in story-telling and whatnot.
But that's mainly the Main Story where all the subversions and raw moments are. There is still a Grand Prix/Finale-like mode much like the other games where it's your character going up against pretty much all the other characters in the game in a set of Special Rule-based battles. Story-wise, that remains mostly the same as the other Grand Prix modes in the other games. But for the main story, it's a game that I highly recommend looking up and watching a longplay or playthrough of.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
After having played Return to Dream Land Deluxe, I think both Bandana Waddle Dee and Magolor deserve to be playable characters. Because the Kirby franchise’s gone long enough without any new characters, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want to have two Kirby newcomers…which also just so happens to be the same number Brawl introduced via Meta Knight and King Dedede.
On that note, here’s a Magolor moveset that I finished after beating the Epilogue:
Intro: Magolor appears from a Dimensional Rift, in a similar manner to Dimensional Vanish.

Stance/Idle 1: His idle animation from the games.
Idle 2: Magolor scratches his head.
Idle 3: Magolor briefly chuckles.

Notable Palette Swaps
  1. Default
  2. Player 2 Magolor (orange)
  3. Player 3 Magolor (cyan)
  4. Player 4 Magolor (light green)
  5. Traitor Magolor (purple)
  6. Magolor EX (red)
  7. Taranza (green)
  8. Hyness (white)
  9. Interdimensional Magolor (special costume 1)
  10. Player 2 Interdimensional Magolor (Interdimensional yellow)
  11. Player 3 Interdimensional Magolor (Interdimensional blue)
  12. Player 4 Interdimensional Magolor (Interdimensional green)
  13. Magolor Soul (Interdirmensional black)
  14. Shopkeeper Magolor (special costume 2)
  15. Manager Magolor (special costume 3)
  16. Tome Tracker Magolor (special costume 4)
Walk: Magolor floats along the ground.
Dash: His dash animation from the games.
Damage: His damage animation from the games.
Jump: Magolor jumps once, then performs a delayed midair jump.
Crouch: His crouch animation from the games.

Fighter Ability: Magic Barrier
Instead of a normal shield, Magolor uses a star-shaped barrier to defend himself. The barrier can only take five hits before shattering but slowly recharges over time, as shown on the meter above Magolor’s HUD. The window for Perfect Shields is a little tighter, but pulling off a successful Perfect Shield activateds Magic Counter, which briefly stuns the opponent at the cost of losing a piece of the barrier. A successful Magic Counter can also reflect projectiles.

Normal Attacks
Jab: Magic Sphere; Magolor claps a short distance forward (5%, small knockback). Pressing A repeatedly follows with a flurry of small magic orbs (1% each hit, small knockback), followed by a burst of magic (5%, small knockback)
Forward+A: Magolor pushes forward and summons a magic ring (7%, small knockback)
Up+A: Deadly Needle; Magolor conjures a spike that points upward (8%, small knockback)
Down+A: Magic Bomb; Magolor drops a magical bomb that detonates after a few seconds (9%, small knockback). Only one bomb can be placed at a time.
Dash Attack: Magolor Surge; Magolor charges a short distance forward (10%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: A weaker version of Magolor Surge (7%, small knockback)
Get-Up Attack: A weaker version of Revolution Flame (7%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Revolution Flame; Magolor envelops his hands in fire and moves them in a spiral motion (10%, OK knockback)
Air Forward+A: Magic Sphere; Magolor fires a magic orb a short distance forward (9%, small knockback)
Air Back + A: Chop and Thrust; Magolor performs a backwards, downward chop behind himself with a smaller Ultra Sword (12%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Upward Revolution Orbs; Magolor conjures three revolving orbs above himself (4% each hit, small knockback)
Air Down+A: Magic Bomb; Magolor drops a magical bomb that detonates upon contact with anything (9% with a meteor effect, small knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Ultra Sword; Magolor takes a giant sword of his own and cleaves vertically downward (24%, medium knockback). If Magolor uses this attack with no solid ground in front of him, the sword is swung in nearly a full circle.
Up+A: Double Deadly Needles Deluxe; Magolor conjures eight spikes from the ground around him, hitting opponents on both sides at a very long distance (24%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Mighty Magic Bomb; Magolor drops a giant magical bomb that detonates after a few seconds, exploding in a larger radius (24%, medium knockback) as well as producing a shockwave (12%, OK knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Magolor uses magic to grab the opponent.
Pummel: Magolor pummels the opponent with magic (2%)
Forwards+Throw: His throw attack from Kirby Fighters 2 (9%, small knockback)
Back+Throw: Magolor juggles the opponent and throws them behind himself (11%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Magolor juggles the opponent and throws them into the air (9%, small knockback)
Down+Throw: The attack Magolor uses to get rid of Kirby’s Super Ability in his boss fight (7%, small knockback)

Special Moves
B : Magic Sphere / Revolution Orbs / Revolution Flame
; Magolor shoots a magical projectile in front of him, which has three stages of charge.
  • Stage 1 is Magic Sphere, in which Magolor fires a single magic orb by pressing B (9%, small knockback)
  • Stage 2 is Revolution Orbs, in which Magolor holds B to fire three revolving magic orbs that hit multiple opponents (18%, OK knockback)
  • Stage 3 is Revolution Flame, in which Magolor holds B even longer to fire three revolving fireballs that hit multiple times (36%, far knockback
  • All versions of the attack can also be aimed upward
  • The more the attack is used in succession, the longer it takes to charge when B is held again
B + ← → : Magolor Surge Stream; Magolor dashes forward up to three times (7% each hit, small knockback). Once in the direction he’s facing, and the other two times in the direction tilted on the control stick.
B + ↑ : Dimensional Vanish; Magolor vanishes into a star-shaped rift, after which he moves in the direction tilted in an intangible state. After a while, Magolor pops out of another rift, hurting any opponents around him (13%, OK knockback). But even though he travels pretty long distance in the direction tilted, Magolor enters freefall upon exiting the rift.
B + ↓ : Gem Apple Bomb; Magolor throws three Gem Apples forward. The apples detonate after a while (10% each hit, OK knockback), but Magolor can press B + ↓ again to manually detonate them. The apples can be picked up like items before they detonate, leaving opponents open to a sneaky surprise attack.

Final Smash: Magolor Cannon; Magolor sucks every opponent in the vicinity into a black hole. The opponents are then taken into a cutscene where Magolor uses Magolor Cannon from outside the star-shaped rift (60%, devastating knockback). Opponents exceeding 100% by the end of the attack are instantly K.O.’d.

Taunts
Up: Magolor spirals his hands and forms a cross pose.
Side: Magolor cheerily claps his hands while nodding his head.
Down: Magolor closes his eyes and moves his hands in a spiraling motion in front of himself.

Winposes
1: Magolor wears the Master Crown while clapping and nodding.
2: Kirby runs toward a Gem Apple before it explodes in his face, causing Magolor to chuckle at him.
3: Magolor swings his Ultra Sword before finishing with a horizontal swing.

Applause: Magolor claps for the winner…albeit in a seemingly disingenuous manner.
Icon: Warp Star
Boxing Ring Title: Far-Flung Traveler
Star K.O.: A distressed version of his normal sound effects.
Victory Music: Magolor, the Far-Flung Traveler
Kirby Hat: Magolor’s hood

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Yeah Nintendogs is just a matter of agreeing on a feasible fighter for it, but it has pretty decent non-playable representation.

Custom Robo actually had a surprisingly decent amount of Ballot support. Probably a case of not being commercially successful enough to continue. I do think this one still has potential, I mean customizable robot fights is still a marketable premise, but it would likely need a new developer and someone at Nintendo who believes in it enough to find one for it.

They of course cared enough about Advance Wars to give it a remake, but didn't localize it to Japan. We can still hope it did well enough for a new game to follow, but it also stinks not knowing how much it was marred by the delays.

Chibi-Robo, I think the character is beloved, but they just couldn't find the right formula to make him successful. At this point I mostly hope he isn't still on fire...

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Amazing that I'm unironically seeing Nintendogs being speculated for a playable spot.

Not every Nintendo franchise can be represented by a fighter, and Nintendogs definitely enter that area because when you really think about it, the titular Nintendogs are really just based on real-life dogs (+ cats) species.

Having an actual French Bulldog is about as likely as any non-gaming character, and Sakurai's been pretty clear on his stance about those.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Amazing that I'm unironically seeing Nintendogs being speculated for a playable spot.

Not every Nintendo franchise can be represented by a fighter, and Nintendogs definitely enter that area because when you really think about it, the titular Nintendogs are really just based on real-life dogs (+ cats) species.

Having an actual French Bulldog is about as likely as any non-gaming character, and Sakurai's been pretty clear on his stance about those.
Literally who talked about Nintendogs being playable?

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Nintendogs will not be playable, but this is probably the worst possible argument against it because the French Bulldog is literally already in the game.

The real answer is because Sakurai doesn't want to allow you to beat up real actual dogs, there's nothing else to it.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Duck Hunt doesn't look like a real dog, he looks like a cartoon.

And as everyone knows, a toon can withstand any pain as long as its funny.

I would agree, but no depiction of a gamer with anger issues taking out their frustration on the dog, using the gun, has never been funny, imo.

I was ****posting before but I feel like I’m right once i put more thought into it :4pacman:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
smashboards "you can't fight a realistic dog"

me "you lot don't have dogs do you?"
Okay now you're literally rewording people's stances to the point of absurdity. It's really not hard to grasp.

Most normal, well-adjusted people realize that Realistic Depictions of Animal Cruelty are pretty ****ed up, and don't want to be able to have Solid Snake snap the neck of a realistic, non-sapient French bulldog or golden retriever using his pummel. They also realize that, naturally, Nintendo would want no part in this, and would wish to steer clear of any and all controversy that would inevitably come from something like that.

The original post wasn't even talking about them being playable. Why are people like this.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
As a kid i unironically made a Nintendog moveset.

Though i dont really remember the full details of it nowadays i remember it being somewhat similar to how Duck hunt ended up being with an off screen partner character telling the dog to do tricks.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay now you're literally rewording people's stances to the point of absurdity. It's really not hard to grasp.

Most normal, well-adjusted people realize that Realistic Depictions of Animal Cruelty are pretty ****ed up, and don't want to be able to have Solid Snake snap the neck of a realistic, non-sapient French bulldog or golden retriever using his pummel. They also realize that, naturally, Nintendo would want no part in this, and would wish to steer clear of any and all controversy that would inevitably come from something like that.

The original post wasn't even talking about them being playable. Why are people like this.
maybe we Scots are too violent

how about a second Nintendogs stage?

Last edited:

chinkuru

Smash Cadet

Agumon and Marco Rossi

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Brian(Quest 64)
Agumon(Digimon)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Legacy is an important factor to me for third party characters, so I think my choice would be

Hayabusa
Rayman

Dukefire

Smash Master

I say Crash Bandicoot and Shantae.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

There are a lot I'd like to see, but if I had to pick a top two, then Sans and Frogger.

Likelihood is another story, but I do think the next base game will have at least two out of Sans, Chun-Li, and Monster Hunter.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

My unrealistic desires: Nightmare and either Scorpion or Sub-Zero

What will probably happen: Hayabusa and either Chun-Li or Luke

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just asking for Pokemon Gen 10 representative. Which one seems to be the pick if GameFreak adds another?
One of the three starters?
Pokemon-SV-Starter-Final-Screens-1038x576.jpg

Or Ogerpon
pokemon-scarlet-violet-ogerpon-forms-1024x576.jpg

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
On the topic of Nintendogs, Sakurai actually said that they weren't fit for battle. Now to be fair he did said the same thing about Villager and changed his mind, but yeah like others said it just feel wrong and I doubt he would changed his mind about them, especially with the franchises getting no games recently. I think the franchise having a stage is amazing representation, I remember being so excited when they announced the stages in Smash 3ds. I do wish more "franchise that will obviously never get characters" would get stages like this similar to Electroplankton and Pilotwings too. I think Brain age had a planned stages in Smash 4, it would have been cool to see that in Ultimate.

5dm8oVz.jpg

Top Bottom