• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
A “good” moveset is entirely subjective. I don’t see anything wrong with referential movesets as long as the end result is fun to play. Some people prefer simpler sets and others really enjoy those references to moves, abilities, and mechanics from the character’s home series. Neither view is really wrong, just a different preference.
I say it's bad if it also doesn't properly represent the character. Even when a moveset is very easy to make for a character (like brawler-style characters and FPS characters), you still have some that come up with some very terrible ideas that I don't even know they even share it.

I mean...

...what the heck is this? THIS is terrible!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This whole thing had me looking over my fan move sets again. I feel like the ones that are the most successful are the ones that have a core design in mind. For example, Freddy was designed around the idea of him being a heavy character that forces their opponent to do resource management, achieving the vision through mechanics loosely inspired by FNaF and, of all things, Guilty Gear Strive Potemkin. The usage of their moves and how they work together is pretty clear. On the other hand you have Elma, with the nebulous direction of "rush down" and several mechanics ripped straight from Xenoblade Chronicles X, giving her some pretty wonky stuff like quick time events, a meter management mechanic, and Sky High as an up aerial instead of something normal.

There's also a skill in interpreting stuff in a way that doesn't make it absolutely absurd. Stuff like this:
For his dual wielded Neutral Special, Rytlock wields a gun fires a Bola Shot. After a bit of startup, this fires a projectile that arks downward almost immediately, normally hitting the ground at about mid-range. If it hits, this inflicts immobilization. You’ll see purple chains surround the character, and they won’t be able to move left or right for about a second.

Immobilized opponents can still attack and Up Specials still move them upward, but they cannot jump, and all left or right movement is stifled. To put this into perspective, a fully charged Quick Draw from an immobilized Ike acts exactly as it would normally, but goes nowhere, while Aether works as normal aside from the lack of ability for Ike to drift forward or back with it.

One thing worth noting is that the Bola Shot disappears pretty quickly after it would normally have hit the ground, so it isn’t the edge guarding monster that it could be.
Is stupid. As written, the opponent just dies if they're off stage. It doesn't even say that the contidion even ends. Logically it does, but it doesn't say how quickly, and really, any length of time would be unfair. If I really wanted imobilization as a mechanic, I should have just made it a stun with a different visual effect.

Of course, it doesn't help that trying to visualize a character's move set without seeing it in action is very difficult. It's hard to do that properly when viewing a character trailer, so both building the image up in your mind and getting it across in just words is very difficult, and mainly a "do the best you can" thing.

The main thing though (and something I should keep in mind going forward) is that you need a strong mechanical idea to build the entire thing around. Otherwise things just get lost in the sauce, and your move set is probably going to lack cohesion with itself.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Ironically, MP4 may have the opposite problem, at least for base game. Even assuming it releases this year it'll still be potentially coming after the next Smash has started development and picked it's roster which means it'll potentially release too late to get a character.
Yeah, and even if we're to assume Sakurai got tipped off that Sylux will be an important character or something I don't really feel that's a gamble he would feel comfortable with taking. There's a lot of unknown moveset potential right now that can make his moveset outdated on arrival, and Metroid isn't a series with this kind of forward roster mobility where it needs to be refreshed with content from the newest game either. Samus and Ridley are the bare essentials.

There's a fair chance Prime 4 comes out to critical and commercial acclaim, Sylux's role kicks ass and he becomes one of the most popular characters in the series, and that positive buzz is visible enough to put him in an ARMS / Xenoblade 2 situation come DLC. I think that's the best shot Sylux has at making the cut... it's far too much of an unknown to speculate on right now, but if he's got any chance this is it. Otherwise I'm anticipating a really dope Dread stage for base game, maybe an EMMI or Raven Beak AT if not a stage hazard, and some Samus moveset updates to accommodate the series' recent developments.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I say it's bad if it also doesn't properly represent the character. Even when a moveset is very easy to make for a character (like brawler-style characters and FPS characters), you still have some that come up with some very terrible ideas that I don't even know they even share it.

I mean...

...what the heck is this? THIS is terrible!
Yeah, I think it’s good to prioritize the character’s base abilities before you start throwing out anything too crazy like that. I’ve never played River City but if it’s anything like Double Dragon, the characters work fine as alts and don’t need a tag mechanic. I’ll be honest that I also had a motorcycle side special for Bill Rizer and a speeder bike side special for Rash. That was because I already covered all of their canon abilities and had extra room left over. Bill doesn’t really need the motorcycle, I just really enjoyed that stage in Contra III and thought it was a fun idea.

The Bill mechanic my brother and I came up with is similar to Shulk’s Monado art wheel but it changes Bill’s weapon, which is used for all his normals and can be fired in eight directions. That leaves the specials for other things like his force field power up and motorcycle. We also had a more gimmicky weapon switch mechanic but this one is simpler.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Plant's best bet is being a low priority character who slinks in last minute, like Jigglypuff. By that metric I think there's a sliver of a chance it's thrown a lifeline.
Thats why i think he might make it, he'd be easier to add compared to seemengly other likely cuts like Incineroar, Corrin....etc, as he's simpler.

It is 2018, I am seeing people prop up Sylux for Smash claiming he will be important in Metroid Prime 4

It is 2024, I am seeing people prop up Sylux for Smash claiming he will be important in Metroid Prime 4
Well, we have Raven Beak fans now, that want him over Sylux.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Thats why i think he might make it, he'd be easier to add compared to seemengly other likely cuts like Incineroar, Corrin....etc, as he's simpler.

Well, we have Raven Beak fans now, that want him over Sylux.
Sylux’s design was always a little bit boring to me. I think Raven Beak is the more visually interesting of the two. It helps that Dread was the only Metroid game I ever (almost) beat myself. I had a friend help me with the Raven Beak boss fight and the one directly before that but I beat everything else myself. I just sucked at timing the melee counter which was kind of essential to beating those fights.

Even though it’s another basic enemy, I also love the idea of a playable E.M.M.I.. Its designs is awesome and it is the main thing that captures the dread aspect of the game. I also really like the idea of a character being able to crawl up walls and on ceilings in Smash. Raven Beak would be cool too because he’s more important to the plot of the series.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Dixie has more of a horizontal gliding trajectory than propelling herself upwards. She does perform a little hop in Tropical Freeze but she doesn’t really get any more height than a basic jump, which can be referenced by a double jump animation. Similarly, you could ask why Peach needs to pull out a parasol for her up special when she can just float.

Squawks and Rattly were the primary means of getting a ton of upwards mobility in the DKC games, which is why I felt either could work great as a special. Kind of like how Banjo, Sonic and Pac Man summon a spring to bounce up and Mega Man summons Rush. None of these are exclusively their own abilities but they work well as moves in the context of Smash. I think Rush is definitely the best of these and an Animal Buddy would just be doing the same thing.
To be honest, I wasn't much of a fan of Banjo's up B being the shock spring pad at first either. Always thought it was going to be Beak Bomb... But I've gotten used to it.

On Dixie, I can see where you're coming from, and I'd agree if she was the first DK character, but Donkey and Diddy are already playable and have as much of a reason to use the Animal Buddies as her (if not more... Dixie had by far the most unique abilities in the original trilogy) but they don't. Instead, they do everything by using their bodies or at least gear that's specific to them in Diddy's case.
Given how Dixie has at least as much material as those two to work with, to me it would feel like a disservice to her character to have her unique stuff relegated to a couple of A moves while she operates less as Dixie Kong and more as a vessel for other disparate DKC mechanics.
Like, Donkey is allowed to use her twirl, but she herself isn't?

Not that all of this metters much... Dixie is never getting in .-.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Since we’re on the topic of fan movesets, I might as well share another one of mine for my most wanted and someone with a much lower chance than Dixie:

Magus (Chrono Trigger)

Gimmicks and other Traits

Magus floats for his running animation similar to Sephiroth and teleports for his dodge roll. Magus has a similar tipper mechanic to Marth where most of the damage from his scythe attacks is caused by the tip rather than the handle. Magus also has a float jump similar to Princess Peach, but he gradually descends rather than floats at the same altitude. Most of Magus’ attributes are very similar to Sephiroth.

Weak attacks

Jab: Magus holds his hand forward and zaps the opponent with two small shocks followed by a final more powerful blast.

Forward Tilt: Magus swings his scythe horizontally and catches any opponent it connects with. He then scrapes his scythe across the ground, dragging the opponent before sending them flying in the opposite direction.

Up Tilt: Magus pokes his scythe upward and hits the opponent with the spike on the top

Down Tilt: Magus performs a low sweep across the ground with his scythe.

Smash Attacks

Up Smash – Geyser – Magus summons a pillar of light at roughly the height of Palutena’s up smash and unleashes several spirits that fly upwards and damage enemies. This attack doesn’t have much knockback but it has very good range.

Down Smash: Magus slams the handle of his scythe into the ground.

Forward Smash: Magus throws his scythe forwards, causing it to spin around and return to him, similar to Pyra’s forward special.

Specials

Neutral Special – Fire/Lighting/Ice – Magus’ neutral special rotates on a cycle between three different attacks.

• For his fire special, Magus creates a pillar of flame a short distance in front of him at about one and a half times his height that can trap opponents and causes steady residual damage similar to Ness’ PK Fire.
  • Magus’ Lightning special summons a bolt of electricity horizontally from his hand that travels a long distance across the stage. This causes light damage but is capable of stunning opponents at high percentages.
  • Finally Magus’ Ice special summons a giant chunk of ice that travels diagonally downwards and crashes into the ground at a medium distance from him. This attack causes a lot of damage and can freeze opponents at high percentages.
Up Special - Black Hole – Magus creates a small black hole, and teleports away at a similar distance to Zelda’s teleport, creating an exit point where he emerges. This would then function like the Stage Builder warp points. The black hole would remain on the battlefield for a short time or until Magus uses another up special.

Down Special – Dark Mist – Magus unleashes a wave of dark mist that covers a wide horizontal area across the ground. This would function a lot like Palutena’s Heavenly Light custom special in that it does not cause any flinching or knockback but damages anyone caught in the mist.

Side Special – Dark Bomb – Magus sends out a glowing ball of energy that he can slightly control the trajectory of similar to Zelda’s Din’s Fire move which then detonates into an sphere of negative energy that deals heavy damage and knockback.

Running Attack

Magus swings his scythe upwards

Aerials

Neutral Air: Magus holds his arms outstretched and surrounds himself in dark energy similar to Mewtwo’s neutral air.

Up Air: Magus swings his scythe in an arc above him similar to Sephiroth.

Forward Air: Magus swings his scythe diagonally downwards and catches opponents whom he flings backwards.

Back Air: Magus stabs backward with the handle of his scythe.

Down Air: Magus jabs downards with the spike at the end of his scythe which can spike opponents.

Throws

Grab and Pummel: Magus traps his opponents in a sphere of dark energy and electrifies it as a pummel.

Up Throw: Magus throws the orb upwards causing it to explode and the opponent to go flying outward.

Down Throw: Magus slams the orb into the ground which causes it to explode.

Forward Throw: Magus propels the orb forward and tosses his scythe through it like a javelin, causing it to explode.

Back Throw: Magus teleports the orb behind him, causing it to explode.

Final Smash

Final Smash – Dark Matter – This is based on Magus’ most powerful skill in Chrono Trigger. Magus envelops the opponent in darkness with his cape. This starts out a lot like Meta Knight’s final Smash. It then transports anyone caught to a cutscene that causes massive damage to each of these opponents with a massive spinning triangle of dark energy.

Taunts

Taunt 1 – Magus crosses his arms and floats upwards as he says “The black wind howls.”

Taunt 2 – Magus tightens his glove as his says “Do you hear that? It’s the sound of the reaper.”

Taunt 3 – Magus’ scythe circles around him, floating in the air.

Victory Quotes

“Nothing can live forever.”

“The weak always strive to be weaker.”

“You got whacked ‘cuz you’re weak.”

Here’s my thread I made years ago for him with a bunch more content and information.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It sucks to type, but I'm not even fully convinced that Prime 4 is still happening.

It's been 5 years since Prime 4's development was restarted and we've gotten radio silence in the interim. Games take a long time to develop and part of this timeframe can be chalked up to COVID, but that's still a very long time for AA game to be developed. Jeff Grubb says Nintendo wants assets by this month, but his source for this was the guy who told him about Epic Mickey Remastered, a project that would theoretically be completely disconnected from both Nintendo and Retro Studios beyond being announced in a Nintendo Direct. There's a greater than zero chance it's a "I have one true piece of information, but I'm going to throw in something juicy that I've made up" source, which aren't common but aren't unheard of.

I hope I'm wrong, though. Metroid Prime fans had to go through a full decade of waiting for a Prime 4 announcement and now they've had to spend nearly as long waiting for damn footage. At least rip off the band-aid if the project got cancelled, Nintendo.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It sucks to type, but I'm not even fully convinced that Prime 4 is still happening.

It's been 5 years since Prime 4's development was restarted and we've gotten radio silence in the interim. Games take a long time to develop and part of this timeframe can be chalked up to COVID, but that's still a very long time for AA game to be developed. Jeff Grubb says Nintendo wants assets by this month, but his source for this was the guy who told him about Epic Mickey Remastered, a project that would theoretically be completely disconnected from both Nintendo and Retro Studios beyond being announced in a Nintendo Direct. There's a greater than zero chance it's a "I have one true piece of information, but I'm going to throw in something juicy that I've made up" source, which aren't common but aren't unheard of.

I hope I'm wrong, though. Metroid Prime fans had to go through a full decade of waiting for a Prime 4 announcement and now they've had to spend nearly as long waiting for damn footage. At least rip off the band-aid if the project got cancelled, Nintendo.
I dunno, I don’t think they’d quit on Prime 4 like that. The outcry they’d get would be massive.

I really think they’re just saving it for the Switch 2 at this point. Maybe they realized it was so late in the Switch’s life and it’d only bolster the new system’s release to have the much awaited Prime 4 as a launch title. In the meantime it gets extra dev time, which can only be a good thing.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
To be honest, I wasn't much of a fan of Banjo's up B being the shock spring pad at first either. Always thought it was going to be Beak Bomb... But I've gotten used to it.

On Dixie, I can see where you're coming from, and I'd agree if she was the first DK character, but Donkey and Diddy are already playable and have as much of a reason to use the Animal Buddies as her (if not more... Dixie had by far the most unique abilities in the original trilogy) but they don't. Instead, they do everything by using their bodies or at least gear that's specific to them in Diddy's case.
Given how Dixie has at least as much material as those two to work with, to me it would feel like a disservice to her character to have her unique stuff relegated to a couple of A moves while she operates less as Dixie Kong and more as a vessel for other disparate DKC mechanics.
Like, Donkey is allowed to use her twirl, but she herself isn't?

Not that all of this metters much... Dixie is never getting in .-.
No worries. I personally feel there’s enough room to both be faithful to Dixie and bring in fun mechanics from the series. I don’t really view it as being disrespectful to the character. DKC 2 is one of my favorite games ever made and Dixie is my favorite character from the series. I don’t think I left out anything she’s ever done in the moveset.

The alternative approach is to do what they did with Diddy and make up a bunch of moves she never did just to fill out her moveset or just make her a Diddy echo. I’d much rather take inspiration from something she canonically does in her games than make up moves but I understand not everyone feels that way. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that’s cool.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Have to say, it's kind of funny seeing the growing backlash toward movesets overloaded with references. Those were super trendy just a handful of years ago, but now more people are starting to realize that kind of thing only works sometimes and only when it makes sense for the character.

Shame a couple other platform fighters haven't figured it out...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Have to say, it's kind of funny seeing the growing backlash toward movesets overloaded with references. Those were super trendy just a handful of years ago, but now more people are starting to realize that kind of thing only works sometimes and only when it makes sense for the character.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn’t go with the idea for just anyone. I do think it works great for a few select characters like the ones I mentioned earlier (Dixie, Yuna, Garnet, Kerrigan, Crono, Jessie/James, H’aanit) and Officer Howard, who slipped my mind earlier. I agree the Animal Buddies idea isn’t the only good way to make Dixie work, it’s just the moveset I personally find the most fun. Like I said earlier, I appreciate that everyone has their own opinion and I don’t think there’s really one right or wrong way to do it.

I do believe that NASB gives the concept a bad rap. I don’t think it’s the general idea that’s bad though, NASB is just a poorly made game with bad animations and even came out with no voice acting. I think it’s shoddy production values were its biggest problem more-so than the fact that there movesets had references. It doesn’t help that I’ve never cared for Nickelodeon besides them now owning TMNT so the roster didn’t interest me much either.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
It is 2018, I am seeing people prop up Sylux for Smash claiming he will be important in Metroid Prime 4

It is 2024, I am seeing people prop up Sylux for Smash claiming he will be important in Metroid Prime 4
Meanwhile Raven Beak comes out of nowhere and instantly becomes one of the most beloved Metroid villains 🙏

Last edited:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Apprentice

I would say the backlash has pretty much always been a thing. Making movesets now isn't as prominent as it was when Ultimate was still in development, so the negative side is now naturally more relatively prominent, plus the obvious of how Steve ended up.

More generally I would just say that a lot of Smash fans aren't too familiar with fighting game character design and that it reflects that. I don't mean that in an entirely derogatary "other fans are dumb and i'm better" way either, it's just kind of naturally how things turn out if you only play Smash.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ll admit Delzethin is much more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to the mechanics of the game. I’ve been playing the series since the beginning but I was never great with details like that. I just have fun creating basic templates for movesets I would find fun to play. I do try to think about balance and everything like that but since I don’t focus on that aspect of the series, I can see how my sets wouldn’t be as coherent. I’ll keep making them because I enjoy it but I just thought I’d give some perspective.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I got Byleth before playing Three Houses basically so in essence there was no reason for me to be mad about his design except insofar as as a smash fighter he's a bit mid but as a rep for Three Houses eh it's aite. I'd have preferred Edleguard but they seem to have doubled down on making the avatars playable.

Stratos

Smash Ace
If not at this Nintendo Direct coming to us in June, maybe sometime later in either 2024 or 2025 they will mention something about a new Donkey Kong Country game for Switch 2, although nothing is certain. Also no one knows if King K. Rool will be back there or if they put in another enemy. However if it is a new enemy, I can at least imagine that these new enemies will be inspired by Australian animals and their leader will be a large anthropomorphic Komondo dragon. I also imagine these enemies as a biker gang.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
References are what Assist Trophies and Spirits are for. They don't need to crowd into a Fighter's actual moveset.

Noipoi

Howdy!
If not at this Nintendo Direct coming to us in June, maybe sometime later in either 2024 or 2025 they will mention something about a new Donkey Kong Country game for Switch 2, although nothing is certain. Also no one knows if King K Rool will be back there or if they put in another enemy. However if it is a new enemy, I can at least imagine that these new enemies will be inspired by Australian animals and their leader will be a large anthropomorphic Komondo dragon. I also imagine these enemies as a biker gang.
Inside me there are two wolves

One wants to believe in a new Donkey Kong Country coming in the next few years

The other wants to stop getting his hopes up

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If we get another trainer, I want it to be done differently than the current one and not just copy the gimmick again with a different trainer and Pokémon. I’ve always liked the idea of having a trainer with a moveset similar to Yuna in Dissidia where the trainer physically fights and uses Pokémon for specials. This would only really work with a few types of trainers like some villains and fighting type trainers but I think it could be fun.
No joke, I'm almost certain I've seen some folks suggest the idea of having Cynthia work this way (to help set her apart from the likes of Red and Leaf and their Pokémon), be it with a solo Garchomp or her entire Diamond/Pearl/Platinum team (plus Garchomp), and... I don't know.

I mean, putting aside how that might feel a tad cluttered(?), have we ever really seen Cynthia with that kind of inclination (to get physical and whatnot)? Granted, it's been a LONG time since I've seen the D/P/P season of the Pokémon anime, but I do vaguely remember Cynthia surprising Team Galactic by showing that, even without her 'Mons, she can throw hands with the best of them surprisingly effectively.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If not at this Nintendo Direct coming to us in June, maybe sometime later in either 2024 or 2025 they will mention something about a new Donkey Kong Country game for Switch 2, although nothing is certain. Also no one knows if King K Rool will be back there or if they put in another enemy. However if it is a new enemy, I can at least imagine that these new enemies will be inspired by Australian animals and their leader will be a large anthropomorphic Komondo dragon. I also imagine these enemies as a biker gang.
This is only vaguely related, but did anybody see that video about the pitched DKC game from Vicarious Visions? Apparently, that may have started a new rumor about DKC related to the Mario Kart Live guys.

Also, if they don't put in King K. Rool after Smash, then something tells me people are gonna throw a fit...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
That a new DKC game won't end likely end up on what's likely to be Nintendo's most successful console in history is ridiculous in general and quite honestly already gives me mixed feelings on any hypothetical sequel on Switch 2. Beyond the game having the tall order of living up to now 10 years of hype, I suspect my sentiments will be partially defined by a sense that it's something that should have come out five years earlier than it will and likely induce a genuine skepticism about the series being anywhere close to getting regular releases again.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Meanwhile Raven Break comes out of nowhere and instantly becomes one of the most beloved Metroid villains 🙏
I mean, most of the Metroid villains are viewed quite positively. The only ones that most don't really talk about are Gorea from Hunters, the Ing Emperor from Metroid Prime 2 and MB from Other M for.....reasons. But for the most part, you have:
  • Ridley
  • Mother Brain
  • Dark Samus/Metroid Prime
  • Raven Beak
  • SA-X/The X-Parasites
  • Kraid
  • The Metroids/Metroid Queen
  • The Space Pirates in general, especially with the Metroid Prime series lore bits giving them character.
  • Technically, the E.M.M.I.s, but they were defeated and reprogrammed by Raven Beak for the most part. The EMMIs themselves were still received positively regardless.
All of whom have quite a lot of fans within the franchise. Sure, some of them are also recurring bosses/characters, with Ridley and Metroids being the most recurring. But then again, probably the biggest factor that helps the villains is that Metroid mainly focuses around Samus and environmental story-telling for the most part, so often the villains are in the players' spotlight since there are not really any other characters to overshadow them.
But to some degree, it does allow the Metroid devs to showcase the villains a bit more since there's no other characters they need to give detail for, it allows the villains to be given some extra details from the environmental story-telling and their recurring appearances and it gives them more opportunity to make an impact on players.

Sylux, for one of the first times, is a side character that has been potentially given the opportunity to become more than merely a side-character. Whereas the other Hunters who have appeared like in Prime Hunters and Prime 3, almost all of them were intended to be one-offs, Sylux, because of their backstory with the Galactic Federation and Samus by extension, is a character that the Metroid Prime developers and some Nintendo developers have shown interest in expanding upon and giving a focus.
And it's kinda no wonder why alot of people are keeping an eye on Sylux. Prime Hunters and Prime 3 were the first times we actually had Bounty Hunters/Mercenaries in a Metroid game that wasn't exclusively Samus. But Sylux, should they appear in Metroid Prime 4 as intended, will have been the first Bounty Hunter who's not Samus to make an official recurring non-cameo appearance. And there's many ways they can go with Sylux that people do want to see where they go from.
Most people want to see first if Sylux survives in MP4 or not, but depending on how they ultimately handle Sylux, Sylux could become another major villain who's slowly revealed backstory, character and whatnot could make Sylux another notable fan-favorite villain like Ridley, Mother Brain, Dark Samus, etc, or, maybe if positively-received and they survive, could become the first character since Samus to be playable in a main Metroid game. After all, Sylux has some of their blueprints in Hunters for how they would play, but the idea of Sylux getting their own Belmont mode in Prime 4 or a future game would probably blow the minds of many Metroid fans.

Anyway, that aside, here's hoping Metroid Prime 4 appears in the June Nintendo Direct.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I can’t find the quote right now but Sakurai once talked about how competitive Smash has players using a lot of the same low-risk, low-reward aerial moves rather than a fighter’s entire kit. That’s probably why Ultimate nerfed the damage on short hop attacks specifically to help move away from that.

I agree that it’d be nice if they could further decentralize aerial combat but I do wonder how many practical ways there are of doing that.
Here's a (secondhand at least) source.

I agree that it would be good to see Smash do something to incentivize being on the ground more, but also that, yeah, it might be hard in practice due to the nature of a game where platforming is so important.

Maybe one soft way of emphasizing ground battling more is to simply introduce more characters who are good on the ground, or whose moves interact with the ground more meaningfully (which we've already seen to some extent). That could be either through newcomers or through changes to existing fighters. Though as we've seen with Mac, such focuses could prove difficult to balance in a manner that is satisfactory at all levels of play, from most casual to most competitive.

If (at least competitive) Smash is simply doomed to being an air game, then my headcanon shall be that this is a further reflection of Smash's "they're all toys" metaphor, i.e. my mental picture will be that of a child holding their toys in the air and bashing them repeatedly together.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That a new DKC game won't end likely end up on what's likely to be Nintendo's most successful console in history is ridiculous in general and quite honestly already gives me mixed feelings on any hypothetical sequel on Switch 2. Beyond the game having the tall order of living up to now 10 years of hype, I suspect my sentiments will be partially defined by a sense that it's something that should have come out five years earlier than it will and likely induce a genuine skepticism about the series being anywhere close to getting regular releases again.
I think we can confidently blame Metroid Prime 4's very lengthy development for that one.

I doubt Nintendo would give the DKC games to anyone but Retro Studios and guess who's been busy since 2019?

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I dunno, I don’t think they’d quit on Prime 4 like that. The outcry they’d get would be massive.

I really think they’re just saving it for the Switch 2 at this point. Maybe they realized it was so late in the Switch’s life and it’d only bolster the new system’s release to have the much awaited Prime 4 as a launch title. In the meantime it gets extra dev time, which can only be a good thing.
Keep in mind that Metroid isn't a massive series saleswise, especially in Japan. It has always run more on being a critical darling with a dedicated fanbase than lighting up the sales charts. Dread did well but it was also outsold by Switch entries in franchises that have historically been less popular than Metroid, like Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Pikmin 4. If enough time and money had been pumped into Prime 4 without something of quality to show, I could see Nintendo throwing up their hands and saying "**** it, this isn't worthwhile to pursue this anymore", as crappy as that may be.

Pikmin 4 might be the biggest source of rational hope for Prime 4 at the moment, since that game took a decade to develop. However, Miyamoto's undying support and passion has really helped Pikmin hang in there between releases. I imagine Metroid also has a lot of supporters in Nintendo's upper management, but there may be a point where the number crunchers raise enough of a stink to kill what they view as an unproductive expense.

Either way, here's to hoping I'm wrong. If it doesn't happen release this year or early in the Switch 2's life, then I think Prime 4 is officially the subject of a future DYKG expose.

Stratos

Smash Ace
This is only vaguely related, but did anybody see that video about the pitched DKC game from Vicarious Visions? Apparently, that may have started a new rumor about DKC related to the Mario Kart Live guys.

Also, if they don't put in King K. Rool after Smash, then something tells me people are gonna throw a fit...
I never knew about Vicarious Visions before you mentioned it and I don't know how it relates to Donkey Kong Country. As for King K. Rool I hope they put him as the villain of the next Donkey Kong Country game and always keep putting him in later games since he is Donkey Kong's main enemy. But I also thought just now that these enemies I imagine to be a mercenary biker gang that would come from another country and have been hired by King K. Rool. In fact I'm sure King K. Rool will be back.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Prime 4 becomes the Breath of the Wild of the Switch by having both a Switch and Switch 2 variant at the latter's launch.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So things have been pretty rough for my family.

I had gotten tired of Smash lately but I just booted up Ultimate and just played some casual matches against the CPU.

I played with stage morph and played with characters I don't normally play. I played characters like Min Min, Meta Knight, Sonic, Wii Fit Trainer and Fox. It was actually really fun.

Playing at a much slower pace allowed me to appreciate all the little details in the stages, the animations and even some gameplay touches like drag downs. I even learned that Meta Knight's back air is one of the most satisfying moves in the game to land (and it's spammable too).

If you're burnt out on the competitive scene, try some casual Smash. It really started to reinvigorate my love of the game.

Top Bottom