• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Because people would want to play as them not their ourobouros fusion, at least not at the cost of not being to play as the components of said fusion.
Speak for yourself on that one. I beat the game, really liked both characters, am a person (last time I checked) and I want to play as the fusion form. While it may be true most people would rather to play as both individually, it’s also likely that we won’t get both Noah and Mio anyways. The fusion form is still them and it has a really cool unique design and fighting style that would really stand out in Smash.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
hang on are you suggesting that a talking flower from wonder could be a fighter? i'm not as against the idea as i thought i'd be
He literally, explicitly stated that this was NOT a list of likely candidates, only a list of Nintendo characters who made their debut in the 2020s.

This is not suggesting Talking Flower from Wonder could be a fighter.

Im all for werid 1st party pick but like.
1-2-Switch just doesn't seem like a game anyone really cares about at all.
It's not, but it would be so funny if we got the one who was affectionately called "horse****" by playtesters over literally anyone else.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Is this game not his first appearance?
Technically yes, but Opossum made this specification in case someone (probably me) would've wisecracked and pointed out there was a different person who also had the name of Rauru in Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:

DemifiendEnjoyer

Smash Apprentice
He literally, explicitly stated that this was NOT a list of likely candidates, only a list of Nintendo characters who made their debut in the 2020s.

It's not, but it would be so funny if we got the one who was affectionately called "horse****" by playtesters over literally anyone else.
Imagine if they gave him the worst possible gimmick, Where you have to use motion controls with the Joy Cons to use his specials.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Noah and Mio have equal amounts of merit to appear as playable characters for two reasons:
  • Both of them are the main protagonists
  • Xenoblade 3 has a class system that lets them use other party members’ weapons
The latter point especially is a good reason that both characters can be unique newcomers in their own right.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I got a little carried away with the thought experiment

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Honestly I wouldn't mind if they skipped out on a Xenoblade 3 character.
Fire Emblem getting new reps for the newest game eventualyl ended up annoying people, I feel like Xenoblade could turn out the same way.
To be fair it's not like they have other recent characters to use.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Noah and Mio have equal amounts of merit to appear as playable characters for two reasons:
  • Both of them are the main protagonists
  • Xenoblade 3 has a class system that lets them use other party members’ weapons
The latter point especially is a good reason that both characters can be unique newcomers in their own right.
That is true, even if they just went with Mio or something, they could still add Noah as an alternate costume or Echo Fighter. It'd be a little weird, but very doable.

Might go a little too close to the sun, but you could technically add the whole party this way assuming Oroboros is a Final Smash only thing.

EDIT: If they did go that route though, I would prefer adding both Noah and Mio's classes, even if Noah's normals are all repurposed from Shulk.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That is true, even if they just went with Mio or something, they could still add Noah as an alternate costume or Echo Fighter. It'd be a little weird, but very doable.

Might go a little too close to the sun, but you could technically add the whole party this way assuming Oroboros is a Final Smash only thing.
I feel like Senna and Lanz would look pretty weird on the same frame. That would be difficult to make work even if they can share a moveset in Xenoblade.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
To be fair it's not like they have other recent characters to use.
Do we need recent characters for the sake of having recent characters, though? It's one thing to have recent characters because they're interesting and/or have a lot of moveset potential, but prioritizing Switch-era characters on that ground alone is a very un-Sakurai approach to character selection.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
We've had the Koopalings, so anything's possible, but yeah, I'd prefer they didn't do this.
The Koopalings worked because resizing them didn't look too uncanny with how the moveset heavily relies on the Clown Car. It was still strange but not enough to say I'm having a whiplash over it.

This would not work on anyone else unless they also fight by driving cars.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Do we need recent characters for the sake of having recent characters, though? It's one thing to have recent characters because they're interesting and/or have a lot of moveset potential, but prioritizing Switch-era characters on that ground alone is a very un-Sakurai approach to character selection.
I did mention earlier that they should just put Isaac and Andy both into the game.
I just dont think its going to happen.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
We've had the Koopalings, so anything's possible, but yeah, I'd prefer they didn't do this.
The koopalings work because they are simple basic ass's characters with barely anything to them. Giving the same moveset and more importantly animations to the XC3 gang robs them of all their wonderful unique personality quirks

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The koopalings work because they are simple basic ass's characters with barely anything to them. Giving the same moveset and more importantly animations to the XC3 gang robs them of all their wonderful unique personality quirks
This gives me exactly the same vibes as people who thought combining ARMS characters was a good idea back in 2020.

Smash speculation truly runs in circles.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
This gives me exactly the same vibes as people who thought combining ARMS characters was a good idea back in 2020.

Smash speculation truly runs in circles.
I think it’s understandable how the average person would think combining the ARMS characters was a good idea. They all have the same general concept of extendable arms like Dhalsim or Luffy (except Twintelle). It’s only once you start actually looking further into the game that you see how each character stands out as unique on their own. It’s not like Smash doesn’t already make concessions to sacrifice accuracy for efficiency when it comes to echo fighters. I do understand that ARMS fans wouldn’t want to sacrifice that character accuracy just to get more fighters.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I did mention earlier that they should just put Isaac and Andy both into the game.
I just dont think its going to happen.
Issac and Andy would be cool because they're popular characters who have been requested for awhile from well-remembered games and they have strong moveset potential.

Where I think a lot of modern speculation goes wrong (beyond excessive cuts) is focusing too much on filling quotas (most commonly people asserting that we need post-Ultimate Switch characters), when that's not really how most Smash rosters were decided. Sure, you have a handful of selections that exist to fill a category like "new Pokemon" or "character that would be unexpected", but most characters were picked for intrinsic merits like popularity, moveset potential, importance to a key franchise, playstyle variety, etc.

A lot of modern rosters, especially those that are attempting to be more conservative with their predictions, just feel dull and transparently corporate. That would be a problem in and of itself, but it especially becomes a problem when it's a roster that's meant to follow up Ultimate's.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Issac and Andy would be cool because they're popular characters who have been requested for awhile from well-remembered games and they have strong moveset potential.

Where I think a lot of modern speculation goes wrong (beyond excessive cuts) is focusing too much on filling quotas (most commonly people asserting that we need post-Ultimate Switch characters), when that's not really how most Smash rosters were decided. Sure, you have a handful of selections that exist to fill a category like "new Pokemon" or "character that would be unexpected", but most characters were picked for intrinsic merits like popularity, moveset potential, importance to a key franchise, playstyle variety, etc.

A lot of modern rosters, especially those that are attempting to be more conservative with their predictions, just feel dull and transparently corporate. That would be a problem in and of itself, but it especially becomes a problem when it's a roster that's meant to follow up Ultimate's.
I have the problem of mostly filling my own rosters with characters I personally like before considering much else. Like, I understand the “deserving” argument about how many characters are too popular or iconic to leave out but I’d rather just see my favorites a lot of the time, even if they don’t make much sense from an advertising perspective. Thats why I often try to bring some attention to a lot of smaller games and characters I happen to enjoy. Of course, I know Smash isn’t exclusively catered to my tastes so I’m generally happy with just about anyone because every character is someone’s favorite.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think shill picks are really lame and boring, Nintendo should focus on adding characters I like.

Thankfully, the character I most want for smash is Placeholder for a Gen 10 Pokemon.
Oh yeah, Placeholder For A Gen 10 Pokemon would be such a good pick. Imagine how awesome Smash would depict Placeholder For Gen 10 Pokemon's Signature Move, Smash needs more Placeholder For A Trait The Gen 10 Pokemon Has fighters.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, Placeholder For A Gen 10 Pokemon would be such a good pick. Imagine how awesome Smash would depict Placeholder For Gen 10 Pokemon's Signature Move, Smash needs more Placeholder For A Trait The Gen 10 Pokemon Has fighters.
I dunno, I think I prefer Placeholder for next Fire Emblem lord. I wasn’t a huge fan of the design of Placeholder for a Gen 10 Pokémon. I honestly think alternate Gen 10 Pokemon is much more interesting.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Everyone was annoyed with Fire Emblem because…
  1. They were all swordfighters
  2. Many were very similar, in design and playstyle
  3. Everyone is Here, meant… Everyone was there. Yes, even the Fire Emblem characters.
Yeah, I think Everyone Is Here was a curse in disguise for Fire Emblem. If Ultimate was a normal game with cuts, I could easily see the lineup being trimmed down to Marth, Ike, Robin, maybe one of the Marth clones, and/or Chrom due to his ballot popularity. Byleth would probably come later as DLC, but even so that would drop two or three fighters compared to Ultimate's final lineup. Buuuuut It's Everyone Is Here, so we get every single veteran and that means all eight FE swordfighters from across the entire history of Smash Bros., and nothing cna really be done about it until the next game's roster

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I think Everyone Is Here was a curse in disguise for Fire Emblem. If Ultimate was a normal game with cuts, I could easily see the lineup being trimmed down to Marth, Ike, Robin, maybe one of the Marth clones, and/or Chrom due to his ballot popularity. Byleth would probably come later as DLC, but even so that would drop two or three fighters compared to Ultimate's final lineup. Buuuuut It's Everyone Is Here, so we get every single veteran and that means all eight FE swordfighters from across the entire history of Smash Bros., and nothing cna really be done about it until the next game's roster
So Fire Emblem is unfortunate because... it didn't lose any character?

You can't even say this hurt the series' reception because I don't think its haters moved on from Corrin in the first place lol.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Im gonna make this post again!
But ive noticed lack of gorons in smash!
Zoras have great bay, Gerudo have ganon and their valley and Rito atleast have their islands theme!
Gorons only have Spirits!
Im saying add a goron here are a couple of candidates:
1715625410552.png

Yunobo and daruk are chosen for their recency and biggoron is chosen for apearing a lot! Even if his PH version is pretty diffrent!
I think darunia shouldnt be added considering how much oot stuff is in smash (ultimate) already! And if you add someone from that game i think ruto is more iconic!
Also i would add a cool goron stage!

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I think a lot of speculation leans too far in one direction or the other. On one hand, relying too much on newcomers from recent games can feel too sterile and corporate. On the other, ignoring them completely (or worse, acting like the only characters who should matter are ones from games over a decade old) would mean assuming the new faces couldn't possibly have any merits other than being cynical shill picks. Which devalues anything else they might have going for them!

Considering I saw the latter argument not only thrown out all the time during Ultimate DLC spec., but treated as if its premise was already true before the fact? It got to be a problem.

The key is to find the right balance between old and new. Which is easier said than done if one gets too nostalgic...

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Zoras have great bay, Gerudo have ganon and their valley and Rito atleast have their islands theme!
View attachment 389249

Yunobo and daruk are chosen for their recency and biggoron is chosen for apearing a lot! Even if his PH version is pretty diffrent!
I think darunia shouldnt be added considering how much oot stuff is in smash (ultimate) already! And if you add someone from that game i think ruto is more iconic!
I know he's kind of an older pick, but... Darunia would be pretty cool.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I know he's kind of an older pick, but... Darunia would be pretty cool.
I have no issue with older picks i just think adding darunia might be a bit too much oot representation!
But still any goron is a good choice! I guess darunia would be ideal for the zelda Hammer Representation!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
People are looking at the timing completely wrong.

The era we need to be looking at isn't the late Switch. It's any game released from 2018 onward.

Most of the Switch era is up for grabs.
Yeah, most Smash games don't fit neatly into a single generation. It's moreso anything between Smash games; I think I've siad this already, but we have Wii characters like Shulk and WFT debuting in 4 instead of Brawl, Inlking in Ultimate instead of 4, etc. Ultimate was set pretty early and was very veteran focused, so next game has a chance to cover basically any decently successful Switch game that doesn't have a fighter yet

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 389249

hey, we should have a goron and a zora as fighters

and death mountain and lake hylia stages

Oracle Link

Smash Master
hey, we should have a goron and a zora as fighters

and death mountain and lake hylia stages
Yup considering that Gorons/ Zora are the main/ Most apearing zelda races i 100% Agree! Have an iconic member of their species:
So Maybe Young Ruto and Yunobo? And than a stage based on those twoo with normal gorons/ Zoras (and perhaps octoroks? and other monsters) in the background!

Last edited:
Top Bottom