• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I’m hopeful that we can get both Ryu Hyabusa and Lu Bu in the next Smash. Koei and Nintendo have a really strong relationship and there are currently no Koei characters in Smash. Other companies have gotten multiple characters in one game so I don’t think that’s unreasonable. Both Hyabusa and Lu Bu have valid reasons for making it in. Ninja Gaiden was an iconic NES series with a successful X-Box reboot and Hyabusa can also count towards DoA representation. Meanwhile, Dynasty Warriors kicked off the whole Musou genre and have had countless games through multiple forms. Just going by properties already in Smash, there have been Warriors games for Zelda, Fire Emblem, Persona, and Dragon Quest.
If Hayabusa gets in, they should not only include Unbreakable Determination, but also his DOA2 theme. If Lu Bu gets in, they'd obviously have to include his theme and Arena.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If Hayabusa gets in, they should not only include Unbreakable Determination, but also his DOA2 theme. If Lu Bu gets in, they'd obviously have to include his theme and Arena.
I loved DW8’s rendition of Arena. There are so many good Warriors songs I’d love to have in Smash. Avenging Battle is another one of my favorites. City of Flowers from Samurai Warriors too. I loved Hyabusa’s stage theme in Warriors Orochi.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Let's say your favorite series already reppy in smash got ALL the characters you'd want in as playable fighters, what would it look like?
Me;.
Xenoblade:
Shulk
Fiora
Melia
Elma
Rex with Pyra and Mythra
Pyra/Mythra solo
Malos
Nia stance change between driver and blade.
Tora and Poppi
Lora and Jin
Noah
Mio
Ethel
Matthew

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Let's say your favorite series already reppy in smash got ALL the characters you'd want in as playable fighters, what would it look like?
Me;.
Xenoblade:
Shulk
Fiora
Melia
Elma
Rex with Pyra and Mythra
Pyra/Mythra solo
Malos
Tora and Poppi
Noah
Mio
Ethel
Matthew
It'd take too long to type them all out, so I'll just leave this here :nifty:
https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokedex

Stratos

Smash Ace
Since the Digimon franchise started as a virtual pet made by Wiz and Bandai (which as everyone knows merged with Namco to become Bandai Namco), shouldn't they bring Agumon from there as a newcomer to the Super Smash Bros. series? I'm writing this because, as is well known, Digimon belongs to Bandai Namco, which develops the Super Smash Bros. series, and besides, the virtual pet is a subgenre of the simulation video game. So it proves that the Digimon franchise is a video game franchise and since it's so famous and owned by Bandai Namco I guess Agumon could be Bandai Namco's third character after Pac-Man and Kazuya Mishima. Although on the other hand I think of Siegfried Schtauffen and his dark version Nightmare from the Soulcalibur franchise. However, from Bandai Namco's characters, Agumon from the Digimon franchise, Siegfried Schtauffen and Nightmare from the Soulcalibur franchise as well as Solaire of Astora from the Dark Souls series, are the characters I want as newcomers to the Super Smash Bros. series.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Me;.
Xenoblade:
Shulk
Fiora
Melia
Elma
Rex with Pyra and Mythra
Pyra/Mythra solo
Malos
Tora and Poppi
Noah
Mio
Ethel
Matthew
That’s a really tough one. I’m not even sure what my favorite series is. I like a lot of games for different reasons. Xenoblade is definitely up there for the music and exploration but I don’t know if it’s my number one.

I guess I’ll be boring and go with Pokemon despite being kind of disappointed in the series lately.

Gen 1: Gengar, Electabuzz, Kabutops
Gen 2: Houndoom, Sneasel, Gligar
Gen 3: Zangoose, Seviper, Deoxys A
Gen 4: Lucario, Gliscor, Toxicroak
Gen 5: Cofagrigus, Zoroark, Kyurem
Gen 6: Clawitzer, Noivern, Malamar
Gen 7: Golisopod, Lycanroc MN, Necrozma
Gen 8: Orbeetle, Corviknight, Toxtricity
Gen 9: Ceruledge, Lokix, Great Tusk
Other: Sneasler, Hisuian Zoroark

Although if there are absolutely no limits and I can take my favorite franchise from anything, it has to be TMNT. I’d love a whole ambitious Smash style game that’s up to the quality of Smash itself and not a bit of a disappointment like Smash Up!. Here’s my ideal roster for that game (not that anyone cares lol)

Leonardo
Raphael
Michelangelo
Donatello
Master Splinter
April O’Neil
Casey Jones
The Shredder
Karai
Krang
Rocksteady/Bebop
Baxter Stockman
The Rat King
Leatherhead
Zog
Fugitoid
Metalhead
Slash
Ray Fillet
Mondo Gecko
Mona Lisa
Muckman/Mutagen Man
Genghis Frog/Napoleon Bonafrog
Chrome Dome
Dirtbag/Groundchuck
Scale Tail
Hothead
Wingnut and Screwloose
Rahzar/Tokka
Agent Bishop
Hun
Tiger Claw
Krang One
Superfly
Old Hob
Sally Pride
Alopex/Angel Bridge
Bludgeon/Koya/Ocho
Jennika
Kitsune
The Last Ronin
Oroku Hiroto
Usagi Yojimbo
Panda Kahn

I’m pretty sure no one else here knows more than 10% of these characters but that’s my dream Smash clone roster.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Me;.
Xenoblade:
Shulk
Fiora
Melia
Elma
Rex with Pyra and Mythra
Pyra/Mythra solo
Malos
Tora and Poppi
Noah
Mio
Ethel
Matthew
Donkey
Diddy
Dixie
K. Rool
Cranky
Funky
Lanky
Chunky
The polar bear boss from Tropical Freeze
Stanley the bugman

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Apprentice
I think Corrin's chances of coming back probably hinge a lot on how used they actually are to see if they're actually popular with Smash fans.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Me;.
Xenoblade:
Shulk
Fiora
Melia
Elma
Rex with Pyra and Mythra
Pyra/Mythra solo
Malos
Tora and Poppi
Noah
Mio
Ethel
Matthew
Sonic
Shadow
Tails
Knuckles
Dr. Eggman

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Me;.
Xenoblade:
Shulk
Fiora
Melia
Elma
Rex with Pyra and Mythra
Pyra/Mythra solo
Malos
Tora and Poppi
Noah
Mio
Ethel
Matthew
Kirby, Meta Knight, Dark Meta Knight, King Dedede, Wheelie-Rider Dedede, Gooey, Adeline & Ribbon, Magolor, Nightmare, Sectonia, Susie, Mage Sisters, Kracko, Daroach, and Samurai Waddle Doo from the quick-draw minigame.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Me;.
Xenoblade:
Shulk
Fiora
Melia
Elma
Rex with Pyra and Mythra
Pyra/Mythra solo
Malos
Tora and Poppi
Lora and Jin
Noah
Mio
Ethel
Matthew
every zelda character ever

Since the Digimon franchise started as a virtual pet made by Wiz and Bandai (which as everyone knows merged with Namco to become Bandai Namco), shouldn't they bring Agumon from there as a newcomer to the Super Smash Bros. series? I'm writing this because, as is well known, Digimon belongs to Bandai Namco, which develops the Super Smash Bros. series, and besides, the virtual pet is a subgenre of the simulation video game. So it proves that the Digimon franchise is a video game franchise and since it's so famous and owned by Bandai Namco I guess Agumon could be Bandai Namco's third character after Pac-Man and Kazuya Mishima.
well yeah we've talked about this a lot

Ivander

Smash Legend
Castlevania:
  1. Simon Belmont, with Trevor Belmont as an Alternate Character skin.
  2. Richter Belmont, with Julius Belmont as an Alternate Character skin.
  3. Sypha Belnades, with Yoko Belnades as an Alternate Character skin.
  4. Alucard
  5. Maria Renard
  6. Cornell
  7. Soma Cruz
  8. Jonathan Morris & Charlotte Aulin
  9. Shanoa
This is what I would choose if limiting the amount of reps to the same amount as Mario, which has 9 reps. If I could choose more, I'd also pick Grant Danasty, Eric Lecarde, Carrie Fernandez, Hector, Albus, Dracula, Death, and most of the other Belmonts and their descendants like John Morris, Nathan Graves, Reinhardt Schneider, etc whether as more Alternate Costumes to Simon and Richter or their own characters.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
All the boxers in Punch-Out Wii? Yeah, let’s go with that.

Funny enough though, I don’t think I’d make Doc Louis playable. I’d just increase his presence alongside Mac - have him cheer from the sidelines Pokemon Trainer style, shout out tips and quips like in the Smash 4 trailer. That earnest coach-trainee relationship is one of my favorite things about these characters so I’d be glad to see it doubled down on.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Apprentice
Since this topic comes up a lot, related to the whole discussion on if a Smash Ultimate port would even be considered by Nintendo so there's actually something new to talk about lol
A current big rumour going around is that a title for the Switch 2 will be an enhanced port of Breath of the Wild. The Sega-leaker Midori, who has a currently flawless track record from everything I've seen, mentioned that there's a project at Nintendo called "U-King-O", with U-King being the original BOTW's codename. Similar enhanced ports in the past, like Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, have had the same naming scheme ("Kinopio" for original release, "Kinopio-S" for the Switch port). Pyoro, another leaker more focused on Nintendo who also has an essentially perfect track record, has backed this up. That ties in with another current rumour about the Switch successor's codename prior to this, where some major Switch dataminers have suggested the Switch 2's codename was dropped by Nintendo in a version update, and that it was stealth "leaked" on Famiboards as something like "Ounce", beginning with the letter O. I think it's silly to be so coy about a codename leak of all things but it is what it is. All that goes back to a major news piece about the Switch 2, where both Eurogamer and VGC reported that the system was demoed at Gamescom with an enhanced version of BOTW alongside a showcase of The Matrix Awakens on the hardware.

Basically, would all suggest that that enhanced Breath of the Wild tech demo might be an actual release for the Switch 2, and given pretty much everything has supported the Switch 2 having backwards compatibility, it indicates Nintendo, like Sony with Spider-Man and The Last Of Us, is willing to do enhanced versions of their previous generation's games on the new console even with backwards compatibility. We have no idea what the port could contain beyond enhanced graphics if this all pans out, but it would at least be a point against the argument of why Nintendo would bother releasing a game already available for the console again. Of course, Smash has other factors to consider even if this is all true, like licensing and the fact that it wouldn't get as much out of or be as marketable on the basis of enhanced visuals as a game like BOTW, but it is interesting.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Without context, I really don't understand why they'd port The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild so quickly, especially if people who already own it can still play it on the new system. Like, what kinda game do they think it is? Skyrim?
Literally the only reason I can think of is to use a flagship Switch game to prove that the Switch 2 isn't a toaster. And that'd probably take too much time for it to make the launch window for the next Switch, unless they don't enhance the graphics at all and just make BotW run at 60 FPS.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Apprentice
Without context, I really don't understand why they'd port The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild so quickly, especially if people who already own it can still play it on the new system. Like, what kinda game do they think it is? Skyrim?
I don't think it's that strange, it's fairly common practice. Like was mentioned Sony did the exact same thing for Spider-Man and The Last Of Us. A remastered version of Spider-Man was one of the very first releases on the PS5, only two years after the game originally came out, and Sony didn't even let owners of the original game upgrade directly until years later.

Obviously, different consoles and markets, and Spider-Man specifically had other factors, like the game being remastered to help drive pre-order sales for the console and Miles Morales + eventually getting ported to PC, but in general an enhanced port of a landmark game from the previous generation early on in the new system's lifespan is a great way to demonstrate the power of the console and get sales, those enhanced ports on the PS5 did quite well. It seems like Nintendo is making a big deal of the Switch 2's power, which makes sense given it doesn't seem like it will have a new gimmick and the Switch already sold so well.

I held off on arguing this point before because I figured it might lead into a big discussion about Sony's differences and get away from the original topic, but I've always thought the idea that Nintendo wouldn't rerelease a game already available on the console through backwards compatibility was strange given how prevalent that's been for Sony and the PS5 these past few years, and enhanced editions of old backwards compatible games have been a big selling point for the Xbox One X as well. Still, again, Smash has other factors that could go for and against an enhanced port on a new console, it's just worth bringing up.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Without context, I really don't understand why they'd port The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild so quickly,
It should be noted that Wind Waker HD was released almost 11 years after Wind Waker, and both Twilight Princess HD and Skyward Sword HD were released almost 10 years after their respective games. Assuming the Switch 2 is released next year around March and this BotW port is coming with it, it'll have been 8 years since BotW first came out.

That feeling when 8 years is considered quickly.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Super Smash Bros., now with 6 versions of Marth, 6 versions of Ike, 6 versions of Roy, 8 versions of Chrom, 8 versions of Lucina, and 4 versions of Robin, Corrin and Byleth(for each gender). :4pacman:
I know this is a joke, but as soon as the series gets away from sword lords, the character diversity would explode. We'd have pure mages, clerics, archers, guys on horses, guys on horses that fly, guys on dragons, guys that turn into dragons, guys that turn into things that are not dragons...

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Me;.
Xenoblade:
Shulk
Fiora
Melia
Elma
Rex with Pyra and Mythra
Pyra/Mythra solo
Malos
Tora and Poppi
Lora and Jin
Noah
Mio
Ethel
Matthew
Why Persona when you can have the entirity of MegaTen

Joker
Yu Narukami
Aigis
Demi-Fiend
Nemissa
Jack Bros.

Yeah, i don't play much games of that franchise, bad idea.
Sorry people

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
except for the ones on Warriors 1 because no one likes them or remember them, and the oens from Cipher since that was a card game.
I don't particularly like them (the Warriors siblings), but I think I'd at least acknowledge them as Mii costumes and spirits.

Similarly, I'd make the 8 Cipher characters spirits at least. I'd honestly be perfectly fine with including the game versions of Shade or Yuzu as proper fighters too (or skins if you wanna go that route). For me at least, I'd categorize the Cipher characters to be in a similar spot to ROB or G&W as far as being "game" characters goes.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I find it difficult to imagine a graphically improved Breath of the Wild that differs from the original in a substantial way. I guess 60fps 1080p is always a welcome improvement, but the graphical style is very stylized.
I suppose I'm going to be surprised... The "real" big launch title is probably going to be the next 3d Mario anyways.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I find it difficult to imagine a graphically improved Breath of the Wild that differs from the original in a substantial way. I guess 60fps 1080p is always a welcome improvement, but the graphical style is very stylized.
I suppose I'm going to be surprised... The "real" big launch title is probably going to be the next 3d Mario anyways.
Yeeeeah I've seen people do things to make the game more eye catching, but it's also kinda like "lemme ignore this game's art style to make it look cool".

Though if we're doing big graphical showcases then watch out for rain 'cuz the next 3D Mario is gonna have puddles everywhere. :4pacman:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Apprentice
We currently basically know the Switch 2's specs based on the shipping manifest and some investigation by users on Famiboards. Obviously very apples to oranges and it's always more complicated than this, but the TLDR of all those technical terms is that docked, it's between a PS4 Pro and the Series S. and then has DLSS enhancing that. I think a BOTW 4k 60 FPS port could do very well based on that. People like good graphics lol, it makes sense. BOTW's artstyle helps compensate for it being visually less impressive than games coming out around the same time, and it and TOTK clearly push the Switch very hard in places.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm also confused about the BOTW port, but maybe it just has to do with the fact that the next new Zelda title is gonna be a good ways out. So "look how good the last two games run on the new console" is probably the extent of what they can show off until at least a couple years into its lifespan. TOTK may not need the enhanced port since I wouldn't be surprised if it was developed / optimized with the next console in mind already.

In respect to this thread, I don't think this means too much for Smash / Ultimate DX. As others have stated the licensing nightmare still exists and it's not quite the graphical showcase that a giant open world game like BOTW / TOTK is either. And it seems fairly likely that the next game is in early development, while to a similar token I wouldn't hold my breath for an Odyssey port when they're 100% sitting on the next 3D Mario for a first year launch.

Last edited:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Apprentice
I would say personally that while Smash has never banked on massively high-fidelity graphics and it's not necessarily needed, every Smash game has always tried making the most of the CPU available and the capabilites of the system, and I would be definitely interested in the prospect of a Smash game upscaled to 4K through DLSS, regardless of if it's a port or not. Stages could look really stunning.

Noipoi

Howdy!
While to a similar token I wouldn't hold my breath for an Odyssey port when they're 100% sitting on the next 3D Mario for a first year launch.
That **** probably started development in like 2019. Sure Covid probably put a hold on a few things, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s been nearly a decade since the last 3D Mario and they’ve most likely been working on one for half that time.

AND I NEED IT

IMG_8758.gif

Top Bottom