• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NFC TECHNOLOGY IN SMASH 4?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I HEAVILY doubt that they will have downloadable characters done that way....but I can certainly see trophies transferred in such a way, namely to get the exclusive version trophies down the road.

The only question though is would it be trophies like Infinity or AR cards like Kid Icarus.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
This would never happen, it's against Nintendo's sentiments on DLC and crap. If it were done at all then it would be like the KIU AR cards. Like @Prince Komic said, completely optional, unlocks little trophies and is a way for fans of the series to have their favorite characters.

How do people write articles like this? I really hope they're just trying to stir the pot so to speak because if you even entertain the idea of this happening I'd...look at you funny, stick my tongue out at you and call you a meany head or somethin

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it would be all bad, if implemented correctly. Requiring the purchase of NFC figures to unlock characters would be definitely be a mistake. However, as long as everything necessary to the game's core experience is available without buying anything extra, I would be happy.

I personally would love the idea of having tiny trophies of my favorite characters, based on trophy models from the game. Maybe you could scan them to unlock special skins or trophies, like what they did with Pokemon Rumble. That way, you aren't missing anything important if you don't buy them, but it gives people something to collect if they want.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
It'd be kinda cool to like get a limited edtion action figure from a Nintendo event that unlocks new costumes or something.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
So many NFC threads so little time...

I really hope they use it tastefully. So far nothing they have done with Smash. Bros has been tasteful in regards to the consumer. They are really trying to make bank on this one. Making two versions with the "lesser" version to be released first so the people who would skip out on this one get both... Then having the "better" version released around Christmas... with NFC figures no less.... They are really trying to make the average person spend 200 dollars on what is essentially one game....

Don't forget the new "Gamecube classic controller"... Nintendo is really trying to pull and EA on everyone.

Last edited:

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Why is everyone freaking out so much? It's not like we'll be required to purchase figurines to unlock all the content or characters in the game. Seriously, when has Nintendo ever done something even remotely close to that? It's ridiculous to expect the absolute worst case scenario. NFC will probably be used for some sort of portable data storage, or something equally harmless.

Besides, we know that the 3DS version and the Wii U version will have the same roster, and we know that NFC is only for Smash Wii U (the 3DS system won't even have that capability until 2015), so we therefore know that NFC will not be required to unlock characters. Let's all calm the **** down.

EDIT: After thinking about it, I just realized (and I'd be willing to bet money) that the NFC figurines might be how Smash Wii U and Smash 3DS interact with each other. It makes too much sense.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
No. I don't support EA-style player wallet-sniping in any form, and I know Sakurai isn't stupid enough to want it either. Nintendo isn't going to put something like that in a Smash game, because it's just not how a game like Smash can work. Nintendo isn't EA. They're going to try it with Rumble U, but the Pokemon spin-off games apart from Mystery Dungeon are not ever top-sellers. They'd NEVER carry this over to Smash. It's not going to be in Smash, and it's not going to be in Mario Kart U. Nintendo *likes* it's playerbase.

(I really hope I don't eat my words at E3, but I'm confident I won't have to. Seriously.)

Just quoting myself to point out just how wrong I apparently was. Huh.

Well, it certainly doesn't make me happy, but if I can collect plastic figures of all my favorite characters, I guess I'll do it, and shed a single tear when I complete my collection.

Oh well...

(The quoted post was before E3 last year.)

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Just quoting myself to point out just how wrong I apparently was. Huh.

Well, it certainly doesn't make me happy, but if I can collect plastic figures of all my favorite characters, I guess I'll do it, and shed a single tear when I complete my collection.

Oh well...

(The quoted post was before E3 last year.)
Nintendo's still not wallet-sniping anyone, who doesn't want Nintendo figurines? Plus, they'll probably be for alternate costumes or maybe extra music, that'd be ****ing awesome.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm still not believing that news article. In the past, most stuff I've seen from France ends up being not true. I'm not saying NFC will never be in Smash but I don't trust the source.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Why is everyone freaking out so much? It's not like we'll be required to purchase figurines to unlock all the content or characters in the game. Seriously, when has Nintendo ever done something even remotely close to that? It's ridiculous to expect the absolute worst case scenario. NFC will probably be used for some sort of portable data storage, or something equally harmless.

Besides, we know that the 3DS version and the Wii U version will have the same roster, and we know that NFC is only for Smash Wii U (the 3DS system won't even have that capability until 2015), so we therefore know that NFC will not be required to unlock characters. Let's all calm the **** down.

EDIT: After thinking about it, I just realized (and I'd be willing to bet money) that the NFC figurines might be how Smash Wii U and Smash 3DS interact with each other. It makes too much sense.
I would say that and the possibility that the NFC technology could be used to store customization of special move sets (as mentioned by Sakurai within the Smash Direct.)

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
I'm still not believing that news article. In the past, most stuff I've seen from France ends up being not true. I'm not saying NFC will never be in Smash but I don't trust the source.
Those Frenchmen and their silly leaks :laugh:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
it'd be stupid if they did this, but this rumor is fake af. im sorry.

EDIT: every post i read about this, i believe it more. it scares me. I don't want to get into this figure-collecting crap for videogames again

Last edited:

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice

I am not happy with this ****. Abuse the hell out of it with Pokemon, but I think Smash is a terrible example to test it in.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
While I don't think it's right for Smash, at least I now have an excuse for the excessive amount of Mario merch I own.

Society: 'Why do you keep buying toys? Your a grown man?'

Me: 'SHUT UP, THAT'S WHY'

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
I'm very doubtful you'd have to buy the figurines in order to play the game. It's completely unlike the Nintendo credo of never keeping content hidden away from consumers. Mario Golf DLC, for example, was incredibly fair (it even had demos!).

My biggest guess is IF this is connected with Smash bros, it will be a simpler way to save your customized move-set as well as providing a cool figurine to own.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
The figures will have to provide something a little more substantial, otherwise they won't sell.

Sakurai talked about leveling up your fighters and taking them to the Wii U version. With the 3DS portals that were shown off (and hey, can you use an existing 3DS skylanders portal?) That seems likely. I can see Nintendo doing this. A character would unlock a world and a stage, maybe even music.

However, that would mean it's disc based. They're already on the disc. The figures just give you access.

What I see realistically, since they confirmed characters are compatible with multiple games, it'll act as a portable memory card of sorts, that give you in gamebonuses that aren't game changing.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
If this does happen, I'll sell all of my skylanders to a friend of mine.
I see the NFC platform as a way to transfer Custom Movesets. (give me a Lucario and Mac figure and I'll be happy)

Top Bottom