• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U NFC Will Be Used In Super Smash Bros Wii U

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
French news publication Le Figaro is reporting that Super Smash Bros on the Wii U will utilise Near Field Communication. The information was revealed by Stephan Bole, director general at Nintendo France. Details regarding how the game uses the technology have yet to be announced, but it sounds as though there may be Smash Bros NFC toys on the horizon.

“E3 is also an opportunity to show the use of NFC technology [used in Skylanders and Disney Infinity, allowing the use of real objects - here, figurines - in video games] in Nintendo consoles . The NFC will be used in the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros.”
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/05/22/nfc-will-be-used-in-super-smash-bros-wii-u/

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Well, I think most of us saw it coming, once the Nintendo NFCs were announced.

Let's hope it's a fun and convinient addition, not a forced cash grab. Give us something for our money, don't make us pay many times over just to play the game, etc.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I am both worried and excited for what may come from this. Hopefully it is just a way to save custom movesets and upload them to different characters.
It'd be cool carrying around IRL trophies, too.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hmm.. we all saw this coming.. I'm hoping that this is going to be a positive thing, and not another Skylanders.

Pékaßlu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0147-0376-7641
I'm fine with it if i don't have to pay to unlock characters.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Okay, I don't really "get" these figurines. People seem to be not super negative on them, but to me, they just seem like a new form of the e-reader except with a much more expensive random physical object needed to activate the game data. Why are they anything but terrible? I mean, I hardly have need for more junk littering my room; why not just make all the content DLC if they really need a cash grab and just give us a discount of the price of actually manufacturing and shipping the physical figurines? I generally trust Sakurai not to allow these to be in-between real content and players (like characters or stages, that would be so overwhelmingly stupid), but these still seem like bad news to me.

I suppose sharability is a potential upside. Are these sorts of things usually sharable between multiple consoles? If they can be used infinitely, the competitive community might be able to make some lemonade out of this lemon announcement. TOs can just have a set and, in the early days, offer free scan-ins as an incentive to bring set-ups. That could be worth just enough money to act as a strong incentive to bring set-ups for players, and divided among every set-up, that's probably a lower cost than waiving the venue fee. Obviously once everyone had scanned them in, this doesn't work, but the temporary gain is still better than nothing.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
As long as they aren't used as the only way to unlock a character or other stuffs, then I think they are a good idea. Plus, having figurines of Nintendo characters is great too. (Palutena pls)

Hong

The Strongest
I am okay if the NFC figurines unlock trophies, so long as this is not the only way to complete the catalogue.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Guys i am 100% sure these will not involved with unlocking characters. (Except for dlc characters ofcoarse.)

I think its going to be used for custom movesets, and dlc characters (figures of characters not in the game.)

And another thing for other dlc characters right of the bat all of the kicked characters back from melee and the ones that don't comeback from brawl.

(But if this was a way to unlock characters, it will inherit the throne of unlocking characters threw subspace emissary.)

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Guys i am 100% sure these will not involved with unlocking characters. (Except for dlc characters ofcoarse.)

I think its going to be used for custom movesets, and dlc characters (figures of characters not in the game.)

And another thing for other dlc characters right of the bat all of the kicked characters back from melee and the ones that don't comeback from brawl.

(But if this was a way to unlock characters, it will inherit the throne of unlocking characters threw subspace emissary.)
SSE didn't cost me anything. Not much of a comparison.

Arti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arti31415
3DS FC
2621-3001-2960
As long as they don't have a real impact on gameplay, I guess I won't complain

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmm... I'm torn.

This is one of the few games I'd pay extra $$$ for new characters. I can't think of another one. So I... kind of want new characters with figures. The standard like 40-50ish we'll get with the game then once in a while a new character on a new figure... I'm not sure I'd mind that. I'm 99.999% of the time against stuff like this. But honestly if it helps get us more characters then... go for it I say.

It also helps that I have no money problems anymore :p. I'd probably hate it if I was still poor.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
NFC or otherwise, I hate the notion of having to buy DLC to complete a roster. I've had to deal with it before with BlazBlue: Continuum Shift and MvC3. Just selecting who you want play as through lucrative means sounds like it could end up as "My roster is better than your's." If it's not some sort of expansion pack that brings more content to the game, than that's plausible.

Don't get me started with having it as a way to restore cut characters either.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'll just quote myself from the Ghirahim topic, it's more appropriate here.

I'm not sold on this NFC news. As a frenchie, I'm not against Le Figaro, nor Stephan Bole, but remember when someone of Nintendo Germany said the game would come out this spring?

I need it to be said by Sakurai or Iwata.
By the way, like everyone said, as long as it is optional, I'm ok with it. But as a figure collector, I'm a bit afraid it will don't have a really good quality. Not bad, either... Just a regular quality.
As long as it is not this.

Reader

Smash Apprentice
Is this a devil in a disguise or the other way around? We shall see, and after that, we may cry. Whether tears of joy or tears of sorrow remains unknown.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
As long as this system goes used for luxury above all else, I'm actually fine with the idea of NFC.

Say they make NFCs of every randomly-acquired trophy. Instead of having to randomly find each and every individual trophy, players could have the option to simply buy a physical copy of the trophy. They not only acquire a little doodad in real life, but they unlock a trophy in their copy of the game that way. It becomes a quick collectible novelty that would greatly excite enthusiast or younger players while giving a good amount of revenue to Smash Wii U even between periods of release and DLC.

This could also extend the same way towards unlocking characters. Rather than having to put in a certain amount of matches or meeting some other criteria, players could have the option to simply buy the character's figure and unlock them immediately. This would be an excellent way to quickly unlock all the hidden characters, which would be helpful for tournament set-ups. Play the game to gradually unlock them, or simply buy a character in real life--have both as options, and Smash Wii U can quickly satisfy any type of player.

Again, as long as this is done right, NFC can actually be a brilliant idea for both the consumer and the Wii U's revenue. Let's hope that if this really is happening, it will be for our benefit rather than Sakurai cash-cowing what he can.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
I think we are forgetting a couple of things

1.Nintendo UK called BS on this.

2.The NFC figures weren't created specifically for SM4SH, meaning that we most likely wont get new characters with these.

It will probably just be a way to move movesets and whatever and whatnot.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to wait until E3 until I write this off as something bad. I've been hearing that Nintendo's NFC stuff can be used for multiple software titles. If the figures for Smash Bros. can be used in other games, I'm curious as to how. But if this feature is going to end up collecting dust like the e-Reader, at least the figures may look as good as SSB trophies.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Ugh... I hope it's just trophies. I hate NFC. Why not do DLC instead of making us pay extra for the figurine?

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
As a collector I know I'll enjoy these figures, regardless of whether or not they provide a significant change to games from a gameplay perspective. Not many Nintendo franchises are made into figures - pretty much only Mario consistently is - so this is something I'm excited for. Being able to apply the figures to some sort of in-game thing would only be a bonus for me personally, rather than the original intension. Though most seem to see it the other way around, and that's completely understandable. Not everyone is a collector, and nobody wants to spend extra money to play significant portion of a game they already own. For that sake, I hope the impact the figures have on whatever games they may be used in is relatively small so that they're not something that glares at those that don't want to purchase them.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
It isn't going to be for new characters. Sakurai has been insistent forever now that the Wii U and 3DS versions will have the same number of characters. I seriously doubt he'd go back on that now, regardless of figurines being involved.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Urgh.

I pray that this is just a hoax, or a rumour.

I, for one, do NOT want to pay for additional characters/stages/items/modes in Smash Bros. I want it ALL in the package.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
True but thats not coming back isn't it?

And im also 100% sure smash bros wii u/3ds will comes with atleast 1 or more figures. (1 of them clearly mario.)
Do you know what 100% means?

Hyperbole is one thing, but now you're just killing my brain cells.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I just hope they are the only way to unlock characters. I kinda hope they just unlock stuff like trophies.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Whether or not you believe the article, use of these figurines is Smash Bros. is inevitable.
I'll be happy enough provided we aren't met with a Skylanders situation. I can think of nothing worse than having to fork out $$$$ for the full roster.

Aogami

Smash Cadet
Just to clarify the issue on how these NFC figures work based on what nintendo said is that it isn't some one time use thing or replacement for DLC that's more expensive.

Instead each figure will be used for several games for example a single Mario figure can unlock a doctor Mario costume for both Wii U and 3ds since they are also making a NFC reader for 3ds as well as save custom move set or other personalized character info on the figure to easily transfer that info to another system such as use in tournaments to get through things quickly.

Also apart from smash bros that same figure can also give content to a future Mario game or in Mario a variety of other games to both give in game content and save in game content directly to the figure for different uses it could also be like if you have data from "X" game it unlocks additional content on game "Y" that was not initially on the figure like how previously you could unlock trophies if you have another games saved data in past smash games or like Mario Kart Wii were you would automatically unlock Rosalina if he had saved data from Super Mario Galaxy.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Release game.

Create DLC after release for additional characters.

They're NFC Figurines. You pay $7 for a figurine, plus you unlock that character and a stage and maybe even additional content such singleplayer objectives.

Profit.

I don't see anything wrong with this.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind. I just prefer it to be tied to DLC in the future. DLC existing due to time constraints that they really couldn't fit in all of the characters that they wanted too, etc.
Also would be fun to have figures of your mains and the whole cast.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
I don't mind. I just prefer it to be tied to DLC in the future. DLC existing due to time constraints that they really couldn't fit in all of the characters that they wanted too, etc.
Also would be fun to have figures of your mains and the whole cast.
Yes. Also it would save a lot of plastic.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think these NFC figures will be like Uprising's AR cards. As in scanning them gives you trophies in-game and they can battle with each other.

Though I won't object to DLC characters coming with their NFC figures.

D

Deleted member 245254

Absolutely against having to pay anything more than the already ludicrous sixty dollar price tag of games (before tax) in order to "earn" everything the game promises.

I'm okay with figures for fun, but I am not okay with the above.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
How come I never look at any of the threads in this section?
Oh well, this is still nice to hear.

Top Bottom