• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo 3DS

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Honestly, I don't even know who these complainers for a second analog stick were. System seemed fine without it. It was just the lack of games that hurt it.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Folks are making the 3DS situation worse than it really is.

That and many folks want to see Nintendo fall flat on their face, so they find pleasure in seeing the hardships they're facing with the 3DS.

Oh well.

Jiikae

Typing of the Red
Any piece of hardware will get a sales boost from a price drop, like one comment said on the blog, it's about momentum, will they gain momentum, not random spurts of sales. Nintendo knows they're not doing well, you can tell by not only their reactions/statements these past few months, but you can even see it from some of the major third party support that has dropped here and there.

A new design would help re-inforce to the public that this isn't just a DS with 3D and polish up the overall hardware to look more appealing than a DS (let's face it, all in all, 3DS really just looks like a DS), and thus increasing public interest, thus increasing install base and thus increasing third party developer interest.

Point is, I'm not gonna be delusional and act like Nintendo isn't having a pretty rough time right now, because at the end of the day I want Nintendo to succeed, they're my favorite video game company. If 3DS ends up like Nintendo's last 3 consoles as far as third party support, I'd be the most dissapointed in Nintendo than I ever have been, if Nintendo should succeed in anything consistently, it should be portables.

With that said, I think 3DS will basically end up being Nintendo's PS3. Starts off a little rough, but they recover fairly quickly.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Yeah. It will take a little longer to catch on, but I think people will eventually realize it's an awesome handheld.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I found a leaked image of the additional joystick and some of the 3DS's future addons.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
This thing seems like a Capcom/Monster Hunter peripheral. That's one game you absolutely NEED another joystick for, isn't it? I don't really get all the doom n gloom over this thing, honestly.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Some people are saying it's better if Kid Icarus gets a second joystick because...

If it does play like Sin and Punishment, it's gonna be real easy for your hand to get stressed out using the touch pad constantly. Second stick will help a lot.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I dunno, that looks pretty reputable to me. No Photoshopping or anything.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A second circle pad attachment would HAVE to have a dock or it would be too unstable.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Yeah. It will take a little longer to catch on, but I think people will eventually realize it's an awesome handheld.
It would really help if some awesome games that aren't remakes come out. I'm super excited for StarFox on Friday and all, but they need fresh stuff. I really want the 3DS to do well, and I think it will in the end, but the idea just has to catch on.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I agree

The games I own on the 3DS have been ALL ports and remakes.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You guys are forgetting super mario and luigi's mansion 2.
They aren't out yet though.

I also preordered the new Harvest Moon, which I'm looking forward to

It's a port as well, a port of the DS version but with added features.

With Starfox 64, that makes the games I'll own in the next two months being:

Ocarina of Time - Remake

Street Fighter Iv - Port

Starfox 64 - Remake

Harvest Moon - Port

I'm ok with it, I'll just have to wait for something new.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
This thread gets information late, I should start posting the info as soon as I hear it.

The second circle pad's already been officially confirmed.

On the backside of it, it covers over the L and R and in its place are L, R1, and R2.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I dunno how late it was, but people kept re-posting articles on the confirmation.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
So it's confirmed that MH3g will have lock-on and the add-on is entirely optional. It's just another peripheral.

On a side note, but is destructoid so biased against nintendo consoles? Is it just to stir up pageviews?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I found a leaked image of the additional joystick and some of the 3DS's future addons.

What the ****? Like hell I'm going to buy a peripheral for the 3DS I'll buy someday if it's going to make my 3DS look like an Xbox/SegaCD/32X/Virtual Boy/etc.

Why not just release a redesign that includes the second analog stick to begin with? I mean there's a big blank space on the bottom right. All that'd need to be done is just shift the button slightly and then just place the analog stick there. I mean if the Vita can then why not the 3DS?

UberMario

Smash Master
Why not just release a redesign that includes the second analog stick to begin with? I mean there's a big blank space on the bottom right. All that'd need to be done is just shift the button slightly and then just place the analog stick there. I mean if the Vita can then why not the 3DS?
If they sell this $10 peripheral (which most people can presumably afford to buy), then early 3DS buyers won't be screwed when the new 3DS has games that require a second stick.

When they announce a Fire Emblem on this I'm sold.
I want to know when they're going to release Fire Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow. It seems to be doomed now to being a Japanese-exclusive. :(

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
If they sell this $10 peripheral (which most people can presumably afford to buy), then early 3DS buyers won't be screwed when the new 3DS has games that require a second stick.

I want to know when they're going to release Fire Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow. It seems to be doomed now to being a Japanese-exclusive. :(
Why not just make it part of the integral design then and whoever comes in with an old 3DS just gets to pay 10$ for the actual second design if they're ****ing over early buyers like that?

UberMario

Smash Master
Why not just make it part of the integral design then and whoever comes in with an old 3DS just gets to pay 10$ for the actual second design if they're ****ing over early buyers like that?
Because that would cost Nintendo a lot of money and a lot of time and effort to address. Besides, the peripheral add-on will make the 3DS similar enough to the revision that it will be unnecessary to buy the new one if you get this.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did DSi owners get to bring in their DS' and only have to pay $10 to upgrade?

Why would this be any different?

UberMario

Smash Master

Last time I checked, they didn't do this when the PS1s had malfunctioning video playing or when they revised the PSP a handful of times, either. I'm not sure why people think that they deserve a refund for something that is 99.99% likely NOT going to actually become obsolete by the revision. It will be kind of like the WiiMotionPlus controller: just a streamlined version of the Wiimote and WMP attachment into one frame.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Because that would cost Nintendo a lot of money and a lot of time and effort to address. Besides, the peripheral add-on will make the 3DS similar enough to the revision that it will be unnecessary to buy the new one if you get this.
Doesn't this peripheral already cost Nintendo a lot of cash already? I'm sorry if I'm being stupid and just keep telling me if I'm wrong, but it seems like either way they're wasting a lot of money just addressing this issue in any way in the first place

Because unlike the DSi which brought a camera, DS shop, and overall more improvements, all the second 3DS would bring is just an extra analog nub :/

UberMario

Smash Master
Doesn't this peripheral already cost Nintendo a lot of cash already? I'm sorry if I'm being stupid and just keep telling me if I'm wrong, but it seems like either way they're wasting a lot of money just addressing this issue in any way in the first place
They thought that the touch pad was going to be sufficient as a second control stick, however, they've realized that was a mistake, and now, they're trying to make the focus more on the control-stick clamshell-handheld technology and improved graphics, rather than the 3D effects.

The reason that it would cost Nintendo more cash to give everyone a "turn in credit" for their old 3DSs is quite simple: If they get turned in, they're fully functional systems that took money to build, and will take money to break down into parts. With this add-on, they're saving those steps and giving the customers a reliable alternative. Keep in mind, attachments are cheap because they don't have screens, motion sensors, etc. in them to bring the price up. A handle with a control stick and a shoulder button is quite reasonable for something in the $10 range.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Wait a second... People are actually complaining over an OPTIONAL $10 attachment just because it makes their 3DS slightly larger?

Am I missing something?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
When they announce a Fire Emblem on this I'm sold.
I agree with this, a rumor about it has been spreading, it's supposedly called "Fire Emblem: Blue Sacred Sword and Red Demon Lance", it's rumored to be on the 3DS.

It was stated here:
Fire Emblem: Blue Sacred Sword and Red Demon Lance. <-CLICK

Also as a reminder the upcoming Nintendo conference will be held on the 13th which is suppose to announce a new 3DS title.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/23/nintendo_september_announcement/ <-CLICK

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
They thought that the touch pad was going to be sufficient as a second control stick, however, they've realized that was a mistake, and now, they're trying to make the focus more on the control-stick clamshell-handheld technology and improved graphics, rather than the 3D effects.

The reason that it would cost Nintendo more cash to give everyone a "turn in credit" for their old 3DSs is quite simple: If they get turned in, they're fully functional systems that took money to build, and will take money to break down into parts. With this add-on, they're saving those steps and giving the customers a reliable alternative. Keep in mind, attachments are cheap because they don't have screens, motion sensors, etc. in them to bring the price up. A handle with a control stick and a shoulder button is quite reasonable for something in the $10 range.
And that's all I wanted to know. I didn't know about this and I thank you for telling me

Wait a second... People are actually complaining over an OPTIONAL $10 attachment just because it makes their 3DS slightly larger?

Am I missing something?
Nah it's just me

Nah, just Fuelbi, lol
what he said

It's always Fuelbi, man.
nah sometimes it's other people as well

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Just pointing out how people have to play Monster Hunter on the PSP

imagine that with the 3DS layout. This is why they decided on the attachment, I imagine.
That's why I didn't get MH PSP. I can't stand having the move the camera with anything besides a second analog or shoulder buttons.

Top Bottom