• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo: Core Games Coming, But Not Soon

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169627

Nintendo: Core Games Coming, But Not Soon
Games for the hardcore 'being worked on by all development teams,' says the company.
By Kris Pigna, 08/27/2008

We all know by now that Nintendo's E3 press conference wasn't exactly a hit with the so-called hardcore gamer (or, apparently, even with Nintendo). But during the conference, president Satoru Iwata did promise the Mario and Zelda teams were hard at work on new games, and that's a promise Nintendo continues to insist will come true. Just not any time soon.
In the latest issue of Edge (via Eurogamer), a representative for Nintendo assured that they have new games in development based on existing IPs that'll satisfy their hardcore fans. "We have never neglected our core gamers. We still have developers working on popular core gaming franchises but we need longer to complete these games, approximately two to three years," said the unidentified representative. "These games are not ready to launch in early 2009 but are being worked on by all development teams."

As Eurogamer notes, this statement was part of (but not necessarily in response to) a larger story in Edge exploring Nintendo's decision to focus more on casual gamers, and it follows similar statements made by Iwata after E3 last month. "If there is any perception that Nintendo is ignoring the core gamers, it's a misunderstanding and we really want to get rid of that misunderstanding by any means," Iwata said. "...However, the fact of the matter is the so-called 'big titles' need a long, long development period."

So how about it, Nintendo fans -- are you content to wait until the second half of next year to maybe see the next hardcore Nintendo game get released? Patience is a virtue, after all.

Here's my thoughts:

"We have never neglected our core gamers. We still have developers working on popular core gaming franchises...
LOL. His nose probably grew 6 feet.

Maybe if hardcore Wii owners would buy the hardcore 3rd party games there would be more hardcore 3rd party games to fill in the gaps between Nintendo's long dev periods. No More Heros came with the hype, put up with the good reviews and flopped. Here comes Mad World with the hype. It will probably get at least decent reviews. It will most definitely flop. All the while people will still be crying on the internet that there are no hardcore games for the Wii.
If this is a woman, I'll would make love to her.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Didn't we already know this by now?

As for the 3rd party thing, I agree. I wasn't interested in No More Heroes but MadWorld has grabbed and interest along with The Conduit.

And if that was a woman, I might do that too. :laugh:

the Lexx

Smash Apprentice
The Wii's been pretty a disappointing system so far, I can only think of a handful of games worth playing on it right now. The Conduit looks pretty cool, lack of local multiplayer sucks though (the wii could use some more good, non minigame multiplayer games)

Or maybe they could port games that are already made that people actually want to the US or other countries. Looking at you Mother 3, among other things.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The Kotaku article said about 2 - 3 more years...

That's next-Gen Xbox and Sony in full stride period. Good job, Nintendo! In this case, better late than never is not true.

XACE-K

Smash Master
What are we supposed to do for 2-3 years?

Conduit, AC:CF seem to be the only options for me so far.
Play them for 2-3 years!? Like all the other Wii games to me, I'll most likely be play them for 1-2 months and completely forget them.

Let's give Nintendo a round of applause for messing up.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Play them for 2-3 years!? Like all the other Wii games to me, I'll most likely be play them for 1-2 months and completely forget them.

Let's give Nintendo a round of applause for messing up.
No, play Smash Bros and Mario Kart forever.

Nah, I'd rather go back to Melee...and further. kthxbai Wii, hello 360.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Been playing Twilight Princess over and over and over again. Plus if that fails ill get Ocarina on the VC and play that over and over and over again, until we get some dam games. But seeing as all these great games on the 360 just come now( at the start the only thing worth playing for me was CoD2) now look at what they have. Heck the games i really want to play are mostly Japanese exclusives. If they complain about the 3rd party support maybe they should bring that 3rd party support to NA.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, or released (or re-released) any of the three Mother titles in the USA in some way, shape or form...for VC for the first two, or give us Mother 3 already.

I want to play a freakin' Mother game without having to spend an ***load of money to get Mother 1/2 off of eBay or import and try to play a game that's in Japanese.

Wrath`

Smash Master
*looks at ps3* I can last a good 2-3 years with this thing till nintendo removes thier head from there a$$es

Puddin

Smash Lord
We know the core games won't be coming out soon, we knew they would come it of course they will. The only problem is how dumbed down they will be for casuals and how long can they keep stringing us along with promises of Pikmanz and Animal Crossing (that gets delays anyway)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Just an FYI: Team Ico is nearly done their PS3 game. This is the same team that said it'd take them 5 years to get their game to their quality.

Then, you have Halo 4 which is already in planning.

Sigh...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I wouldn't even be the least bit surprised if nintendo doesn't indeed release a hardcore game, seeing they are casual and all *looks at Brawl*

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yesterday, I received the latest Nintendo Power issue and couldn't help but notice that the number of upcoming M-rated hardcore 3rd-party games for the Wii seems to be getting a little influx. Here's a list of them, in no particular order;

Madworld (Sega)
Cursed Mountain (Deep Silver)
The House of the Dead: Overkill (Sega, again)
Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers (D3 Publishing. By the way, you ARE reading this right)
The Conduit (TBA, oddly enough)

Also, the respective third-parties working on Cursed Mountain and The Conduit don't seem to be taking the Wii's graphical capabilities for granted.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Well, I just recently got my own copy of Starcraft (I know, crazy, right?). Hopefully that'll last me until SC2 comes out, and then I'll just play that for a while. Oh, and I play Melee from time to time.

Really, though, other than Melee and Madden, I've basically switched away from console games.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Yesterday, I received the latest Nintendo Power issue and couldn't help but notice that the number of upcoming M-rated hardcore 3rd-party games for the Wii seems to be getting a little influx. Here's a list of them, in no particular order;

Madworld (Sega)
Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers (D3 Publishing. By the way, you ARE reading this right)

Also, the respective third-parties working on Cursed Mountain and The Conduit don't seem to be taking the Wii's graphical capabilities for granted.
Too bad whiny hardcore Wii owners won't buy them. :laugh:

derek.haines

Smash Ace

Madworld (Sega)

The House of the Dead: Overkill has just about the coolest trailer I've ever seen. 2009 is shaping up to be a fantastic year for Wii owners--yes, even the "hardcore" amongst us.

DTKPch said:
Really, though, other than Melee and Madden, I've basically switched away from console games.
That makes one of you. Best of luck with that, best of luck.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I've moved on from this now, I waited a long time for Nintendo to up their game [console wise] and put the 3 in 3rd party but it's not happening this gen and as far as 1st parties go I guess you can say I'm all Nintendo'd out.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Guys, we have a hardcore, retro-style Wii game coming out in less than a month. Hell, it's already out in Japan. A 2-D platformer.

What is it? I'll tell you when someone gets it. Oh, and the protagonist is playable in Brawl.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
The only Nintendo titles the 'hardcore' likes are Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.

I rarely see topics about other Nintendo titles hardly ever get more attention in comparions to those three I mentioned. Which includes that new Wario game.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Yup, it's the new Wario Land, which will most likely kick ***.
I forgot about that game! I may have to go back and look at other games that are coming out....

tenchu IV
Mario super sluggers
Madworld
The conduit
Disaster Day of crisis
castlevania wii
fatal frame 4
fragile
monster hunter 3
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
red steel 2
final fantasy crystal chronicles the crystal bearers
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
star wars the force unleashed
de blob
mushroom men
Rune Factory Frontier
Wario World: Shake it
These are what most people voted to be good games for 2009

Red Exodus

Smash Master
My only problem with PC gaming is with the errors you get sometimes but other than that it's pretty sweet.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yup, it's the new Wario Land, which will most likely kick ***.
I'm counting on it. I've been waiting forever for a true Wario Land game to come to a console( Wario World was fine, yes, but it was a tad short), especially since it features the return of Captain Syrup as a supportive character( better that than no role at all, right?).

@bowser king: You know, It's been a long time since Konami did a fighting game. Does anyone here besides me remember Deadly Arts?

Oh, and by the way, Apogee got off its lazy bum and decided to release a trio of Duke Nukem games for the DS.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
lol. You seem to be ignorant of how strong PC gaming continues to be.
I don't want to turn this into a console vs. PC debate, but I just have to say that what gets me about PC gaming is its inefficiency at playing many types of games in its default configuration and the need to either upgrade or sacrifice the experience with technologically new games. With a console, you know that what you get out the box will be able to play 100% of the games at maximum settings, and play 99% of those without any sort of a different controller than what you got with the system.

That said, as long as people have computers they will continue to play games on them, period. The only thing I question is its viability in a large-scale video game market. It looks more like the exception than the rule.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I agree with this post

They basically state you can expect such games in late 2009. Since, that's what they state when they say they aren't ready for early 2009. So, where does the 2010 and 2011 bit people have been sprouting out come from? They say games take 2-3 years total development time, not that they will take 3 more starting today, learn to read. Either way, this isn't bad considering all the core games Nintendo have already delivered already, early in the Wii's life. But people like forgetting even the past year because it's "in the past" and say Nintendo abandon core gamers even though they've provided great service to them.

Who really expected a new Zelda or Galaxy caliber game before then anyway? Do you want a Twilight Princess expansion or the redefinition of the series we've been promised? That will take a long time with Nintendo's dedication to quality and I'm sure people wouldn't have it any other way. They're the Blizzard of consoles in regards to that. Now they have an outlet to provide smaller casual games inbetween their big titles it's a bad thing?! How many Zeldas did you see on the N64? 1.5. But people didn't talk about abandonment then.

In the mean time, there are many third party core games to look forward to and more and more get announced all the time, the latest of which being Arc Rise Fantasia, Kizuno, House of the Dead and Cursed Mountain, all looking great from the media shown so far. Of course, reading sites who only cover the Wii just to "cover everything" instead of having people who would actually play it themselves, you wouldn't know much about any of these. Sad, but whatever, google them.

As for games that are closer than Nintendo's for release, there's titles like De Blob, PES 09, Tales of Symphonia 2, Mad World, The Conduit, COD5, Force Unleashed, House of the Dead: Overkill, Fragile, Sky Crawlers, Castlevania Judgement, Little King Story, Deadly Creatures, Wario Land, Tenchu IV, Animales de la Muerte, Space Invaders Get Even, Megaman 9 and many many many more, most of them exclusives or at least with very unique Wii versions.

But hey, I guess people who say their Wii is gathering dust just don't clean their homes much, and they don't buy any games which makes me wonder why they own consoles.

As for the people who don't want more Zelda, Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, etc, well, If you don't want Nintendo's franschises why would you buy a Wii? There are also third party games, but when people complain that Nintendo forsakes the core gamer, surely they mean they want Nintendo to keep making their games. They can't "forsake" doing something they never did do after all.

Now they confirm such games are coming, people complain it's not new games but it's Nintendo games? What the heck, hah. People will always ***** I guess, just sell your Wii (if you even own one) and ignore all the related articles, you should have never bought it in the first place guys.

Me, I love it and will keep doing so as long as great games keep coming either from Nintendo or third parties, so, for a long time yet.

Nintendo should just shut up, real gamers still buy their games and have been pleased with their core offerings so far and are looking forward to their future offerings which aren't that far away (again, late 2009 is a year away, I certainly can wait far longer with the third party games I want inbetween) while everyone else will ***** and whine no matter what's announced, shown or released.

Sadly, it's evident mainstream Journalists (not 1UP usually) are also biased, you don't see games like De Blob, Sky Crawlers, Fatal Frame and Mad World covered as much as Killzone 2, Siren and Banjo.

Even games that we now know are ****, like Too Human or that PS3 FPS, were covered and hyped so much before release with so many interviews, front page media updates, showcases, previews, and why? Because they were hardcore PS3 and 360 titles, that's why. It's the current internet fad I guess.

You don't see them make huge announcements on news sections every time a little new screenshot of Mad World or Little King Story is released even though they are more certain to be GOOD games in the end than the "next gen" crap that do get such hype, and they don't go to the trouble of setting up regular interviews with Wii developers to put on the front pages.

You don't even see them make a mention for announced promising games. Where's Arc Rise Fantasia and Kizuno in the mainstream press? If I didn't visit Japanese pages like Famitsu I wouldn't know they exist. What about Cursed Mountain, it was unveiled @ GC08 with a trailer but nobody reported it, instead they raved about yet another showing of Killzone 2, what the ****? Haven't we seen enough of that, it's been a yearly attraction in game shows and it's STILL not out.

They only seem to cover the WIi just to "cover everything" instead of because they see they'd actually play its games. They go with the internet fad flow of Wii bashing for the most part too, just look @ the latest NIntendo news on this site, Nintendo says they have core games coming after "early 2009" and the writer decides to spin it as "games coming in 2010 and 2011" and then mention an unrelated event, the E3 conference everyone loves to hate, even though we've established E3 is now a crappy, irrelevant and insignificant event, to round his point. Again, what the ****?

I guess established developers cooking up new IPs just makes all upcoming games mediocre. And yet people trust those same developers for their other consoles.

Sky Crawlers. It's a Namco Ace Combat team flight game, it's based on a popular anime, it looks similar in style to Crimson Skies which was a grand game but nah, it'll be mediocre, why would it be good?

Mad World. It's made by the God Hand and Okami developers but nah, it will be mediocre, even though the team's games are always quality for their genre. But this one's on Wii, it'll be ****.

Little King Story. Experienced developers of established popular games like WoW and Harvest Moon, a unique concept that sounds like a real time version of Heroes of Might & Magic, a charming storybook look and styling, but no, it's on Wii, it WILL be mediocre.

Tenchu 4. A return to the development team of the original two games, which were arguably the best, and the series went downhill after, but no, it's a Wii game, it will be crap.

PES 09. 08 got great reviews on Wii despite lacking in features thanks to the innovative intuitive controls but hey, why should people acknowledge it? Let's just say 09 will be mediocre, to keep the Wii trend.

Fatal Frame IV, already released in Japan with GREAT reviews, despite a few glitches left within the game, but no, it will be **** when it's released in English with all the bugs fixed, because it's on Wii.

Wario, ****, all Wario games were some of the best platformers ever since the GameBoy days, through Advance and DS, but on Wii? Mediocre.

Etc. All the games mentioned in various threads are very promising and look very good so far, people bash them without any reasoning whatsoever considering the established quality developers of them and the fact it's evident more effort is put into them than the average title. This is only a tiny sampling to demonstrate the flawed logic of the senseless bashers. What exactly do they have to back their claims? Oh right they just go "HERE'S A BANJO SCREENSHOT, THESE GAMES LOOKS CRAP COMPARED, EVEN THOUGH RARE HASN'T MADE A TRULY GREAT GAME SINCE THE N64 DAYS, THIS WILL OWN EVERYTHING ON WII, AND I DON'T CARE SUPER MARIO GALAXY IS ONE OF THE FINEST GAMES OF THIS GENERATION SO GO DIE WII OWNERS HAHAHAHAHAH" or something along those lines. Logic.

What about the already released games that have gotten good reviews fools, are those also somehow mediocre for being on the Wii? As much as you want to claim Nintendo don't offer core games, many of them are already released, even this past year had several, and they all got great reviews, now they're somehow not worth a mention and you have to make claims like how other systems got such superior experiences? Bullcrap.

PS: I love all these touching "convert" stories, how you grew up with Nintendo but now switched because new Nintendo suck, keep them coming, they're like those Mac ads of yesteryear by apple, hilarious, even though you know they're all staged and don't provide actual compelling reasons to go Mac (PS3,360 in this case)

Darkslash

Smash Master
Pretty much im the only guy here in the Light House who actually Looking forward to the Sky Crawlers. If namco doesn't get it Localized they won't hear the end of me.

But as of now im happy with what i got.

@Mr.Victory07

Where the heck did you get that any ways? It looks like a interesting read.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
It's really come to a point where complaining won't do any good, nothing Nintendo has coming in the near future appeals to me, so I'm not going to spend any money on Nintendo products in the near future as simple as that. Occasionally there's a VC release worth getting.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Pretty much im the only guy here in the Light House who actually Looking forward to the Sky Crawlers. If namco doesn't get it Localized they won't hear the end of me.

But as of now im happy with what i got.

@Mr.Victory07

Where the heck did you get that any ways? It looks like a interesting read.
I enjoy flight sims, if sky crawlers turn out to be a FS rather than an arcade game, I will likely get it.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
tenchu IV
Mario super sluggers
Madworld
The conduit
Disaster Day of crisis
castlevania wii
fatal frame 4
fragile
monster hunter 3
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
red steel 2
final fantasy crystal chronicles the crystal bearers
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
star wars the force unleashed
de blob
mushroom men
Rune Factory Frontier
Wario World: Shake it
Ad moar TotW:RM2 (Tales of the world: Radiant Mitology 2)...

Anyway... I seriously need to play Tales of Vesperia anyway, so....

Top Bottom