• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo ending wifi in Japan in May, possibly effecting online for PM?

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Look guys.

Wi-Fi wasn't really the place to learn to improve. However, it was a nice place to play with some of your friends who live out of reach.

Yes Wi-Fi's connections were 99% horrible, but at least I could have fun playing with some friends from here.

Now I can't do that. That SUCKS.
<3

Off-topic kinda: Will Netflix be affected?

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I wonder if there's any easy way to put in a really basic workaround, like "type in the IP address of the person you want to play against" and it just bypasses the server altogether. I highly suspect the server has no further involvement after the game is initiated.

Would no doubt involve additional coding, but if possible netplay can exist indefinitely at no annual cost.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I wonder if there's any easy way to put in a really basic workaround, like "type in the IP address of the person you want to play against" and it just bypasses the server altogether. I highly suspect the server has no further involvement after the game is initiated.

Would no doubt involve additional coding, but if possible netplay can exist indefinitely at no annual cost.
that's basically what netplay is
they have a server now that assigns IDs that let you bypass sharing an IP but you can still do it

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Netflix won't be affected.

I'm more or less concerned about the controllers. What to use?

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Netflix will most likely not be affected by this since it is a paid service.
Since, no one so far has actually posted the evidence it won't be affected, I shall have the honor of such. Straight from a Forbes report themselves:
“Online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will be unaffected (aside from the Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games on Nintendo 3DS family systems). Other online functionality, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also not affected at this time,” said Nintendo in a statement.

Beyond the closing date, the services that will keep working on the DS include the DSi Shop, DS Browser and DSi Browser. Netflix, Hulu, the Wii Shop Channel, Internet Channel, Pay & Play and YouTube will continue running on the Wii."

Source - http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitcho...-fi-connection-service-for-wii-and-ds-in-may/

Last edited:

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Wifi did help me improve alot and i get to play some of the best players like Froz,Sb, and Zhime.

Top Bottom