• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Needs to Fix Their **** With Online

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
This will not be a thread on how nonfunctional the online can be in FG at times or at the small 100 friends cap. Instead, we will be looking at how the matches are moderated (kicks, bans etc) which is in some serious need of fixing.

The leaving a match penalty: I have no sympathy for rage quitters. BUT sometimes you leave a game for a damn good reason. Most times I want to leave is when my opponent is rocking internet from the 90s and the game is playing at 10fps, has a whole second worth of input delay, OR BOTH! They should make it like how it is in other Online Games (Call of Duty, CS GO etc) Where if you leave matches excessively you will be put on probation and have a 5 minute waiting period. Because in Smash 4 if you're playing a match of Free For All and the connection is awful, you have to wait for the time to run out (which is a 2 minute timer but when its lagging it can take up to 10 minutes) or leave, and get a 20 minute ban from playing online at all. Even with friends. Which is ****ing disgusting in my opinion.

Finally, getting kicked from matches for dumb reasons: Im Ok with Frequent SDs and being AFK getting you kicked. But for frequently targeting one player (or griefing as the game sometimes calls it) is stupid. Most of the time when you get kicked its when you just attacked someone and strung together a combo. OR when someone is constantly trying to take you down but you just defend yourself, and you get kicked. And all of those can result in a ban (I once got banned for a ****ing hour after some guy kept coming after me and I fought back) Im not saying get rid of kicking people from matches, just dont kick them for no reason at all.

What do you think Nintendo should change about the Smash 4 Online? Reply to this thread and tell us what you think and why.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's terrible, especially in For Fun. Why should I have to wait for a 2 minute match that stretches out to 5-6 minutes due to lag? Why should I be penalized if I wanted to leave this match if I'm not having a good experience?

Dedicated servers > crummy P2P. Course, I think all fighting games are P2P, but I've had better experiences in Killer Instinct than what I've had throughout the entirety of online Smash.

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
It's annoying, especially when you main a precise and intricate character. As a ZSS, I have to rely on approaches with SHFF n-air and spacing with SH z-air. With lag, It's near impossible to execute short hops, and you end up doing full hops. It's the same when you mistakenly input f-smashes instead of f-tilts, leading your opponent to get a free punish.

And another thing, why are people so darn good despite the laggy circumstances?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Lag is more annoying than SSBB random tripping and that says a lot.

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
And another thing, why are people so darn good despite the laggy circumstances?
Mostly people who are used to having **** internet and have adapted to its play style. I swear, its not hard to get good internet nowadays. I used to play Smash with only 16mb download and 5mb upload and had a silky smooth connection. Thats dirt cheap internet so I dont know why people still have laggy ass internet. Maybe I have a good router so my conection speed from my internet provider doesn't matter all that much? Idk I highly doubt it. Point is Im amazed at how much people cause lag in this game. Frankly its ridiculous. Although as a Robin main I dont have too much issue with lag apart from getting punished with really laggy moves or miss inputting tilts and jabs instead of a Smash attack. But when I play Shulk or Roy, then its infuriating. Especially when Shulk does a Smash attack when I want a tilt. His Smash attacks are SO easy to punish.

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it's terrible, especially in For Fun. Why should I have to wait for a 2 minute match that stretches out to 5-6 minutes due to lag? Why should I be penalized if I wanted to leave this match if I'm not having a good experience?

Dedicated servers > crummy P2P. Course, I think all fighting games are P2P, but I've had better experiences in Killer Instinct than what I've had throughout the entirety of online Smash.
Yeah, I mean unfortunately at this point they can't even switch to using dedicated servers without rewriting their net code (totally different architecture). Also I feel like P2P is just better for fighting games, even if it punishes you when your opponent lags. Because if you lag for a sec as is the game just stops while it waits for data. But with a dedicated server if you lag while offstage you just die.

Last edited:

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
not being able to set rules online is stupid. Also, fix the rng for custom moves, it's fixed as you just get duplicates!

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
It should be like black ops 2. Where you can choose your type of connection (Any, Normal or best). But since nintendo is focused on Dlc, I doubt that will happen.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
The connection is awful, yes. But there's another reason why online is bad, and this only applies to For Glory

There's only one stage! The worst stage for spamming, and other things. It's so annoying if you need online practice, but your character has a disadvantage because of the stage (which mine doesn't have much advantages)! Because of FD, you can lose to someone who admittedly has a decent strategy for the stage, but because of that easy, and relaxed startegy, the players quit thinking they can take down ZeRo or something once they win, and it can be infuriating. It doesn't hapen much, but streaks of this happens and it really lowers my confidence for the next big tourney people want to see me at, and such. I know the players will probably lose in real tournament, because FD can be banned, but I still get mad.

Nintendo making their own competitive list of stages would be nice, even if they arent really competitive stages. I know this won't happen, but wishes can be wishes! I find it funny how I can lose to bad players, but the next day I'm doing decent against some of the really good players around my scene. The FD only is way more broken than people think

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
The connection is awful, yes. But there's another reason why online is bad, and this only applies to For Glory

There's only one stage! The worst stage for spamming, and other things. It's so annoying if you need online practice, but your character has a disadvantage because of the stage (which mine doesn't have much advantages)! Because of FD, you can lose to someone who admittedly has a decent strategy for the stage, but because of that easy, and relaxed startegy, the players quit thinking they can take down ZeRo or something once they win, and it can be infuriating. It doesn't hapen much, but streaks of this happens and it really lowers my confidence for the next big tourney people want to see me at, and such. I know the players will probably lose in real tournament, because FD can be banned, but I still get mad.

Nintendo making their own competitive list of stages would be nice, even if they arent really competitive stages. I know this won't happen, but wishes can be wishes! I find it funny how I can lose to bad players, but the next day I'm doing decent against some of the really good players around my scene. The FD only is way more broken than people think

Preaching to the quire brother. Most characters I play are great on Mega Stages but when I do play as someone who has a disadvantage on Omega Stages its frankly infuriating. I also get sick of playing on the same stage over, and over, and over again. Which is why Im glad I have friends I can play against so I can play on different stages. Even though they all hate my favorite stage (Hyrule Castle 64. Some may find it to be bad but I think its one of the best stages in the game for competitive and casual play. Even the tornadoes are fine for me) I would suggest finding some people to play with who you can play with either locally or Online so you can practice on different stages. If not, idk. You could always go through communities and try and find some practice buddies.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
If you have to leave a match, just time yourself out. The game will automatically disconnect you if you idle for 30 seconds and you wont have a penalty

MalcolmFlex

Smash Cadet
I mean the lag is truly unbearable lol, I don't even consider my losses online because I can easily dodge two level 9 computers but can't even dodge a simple up-air in online play. A lot of games I honestly give up because it feels like I'm playing in the same gravity chamber Goku was in on his way to Namek. But Nintendo won't fix anything about online; they'll just keep overcharging for recycled DLC. My connection is clearly not the best, I usually lag often in many games but PS Network 10 years ago is superior to Nintendo online 2015. That's the only main improvement I truly care about; and being able to play with friends online as a team in FG. And yeah, if you can tell, VERY disappointed by Nintendo.

Top Bottom