• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Officially Sponsors Apex 2015!

joshl94

Smash Apprentice
You said nintendo supports all their official games. Back in evo 2013 they tried to shut down melee at evo. It's pretty clear they hated the competitive scene of smash, but now that they realized they can profit off of it, so they started "supporting" it and basically told melee players to move on to smash 4. Can't believe nintendo tried to kill competitive melee by making brawl, attempting to shut down melee at evo 2013 after it revival and now supporting it because they can make money off of it, truly disgusting.
Except no. Wizard talked to Nintendo and was a given the go ahead regarding Melee in 2013. Afterwards, there was a misunderstanding regarding Nintendo's lawyers and they went all trigger happy and tried to get Melee removed.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
It feels like this may only be good for Smash 4 players,and that's great for them.
Thing is,as some have said,it's possible Ninty will go for promoting Smash 4 and remove/downplay 64,Brawl and Melee.Hope not though.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
@Fatmanonice While I agree with everything you say, they are never going to give up arguing with you. Just leave in the dark rather than going into a war you'll never win.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I guess so, could you help me understand?
I spent the last few months arguing with poeple over this, and I simply don't have the motivation to entertain you. Prog's retelling of what happened at the invitational and the various interviews we've seen as of recently should be enough evidence. Go read them.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I am both hyped and saddened. The good thing here is that it will likely have lots of cool booths that are nintendo related for the years onward, and probably a cool design of the venue if it's anything like the official VGC for Pokemon.

On the other hand, things like Project M that people have worked so hard on and people have loved won't show up because of this... It's bitter-sweet and makes me feel really REALLY awkward about it.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
They made Brawl, that's evidence enough.
Making something different must obviously mean we're being destroyed. Anyone who plays and enjoys a game different from mine is obviously trying to kill my scene too. Assume defensive positions!

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Making something different must obviously mean we're being destroyed. Anyone who plays and enjoys a game different from mine is obviously trying to kill my scene too. Assume defensive positions!

Well yes, removing advanced techniques is what divided the scene in the firs tplace. had this not happened, I'm sure we'd be much less divided in the first place.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
The less Nintendo actually recognizes Project M, the better. If Nintendo was petty enough, they could sue people for it but, thankfully, Nintendo's almost always hands off when it comes to fan projects. Nintendo making an official statement on Project M would be the equivalent of the famous "I will find you, and I will kill you" line in Taken. Best let sleeping dogs lie. At least Nintendo isn't super aggro with their IPs like companies like Square Enix and Capcom who try to squash fan projects as soon as they get any sort of notice.
Your bias is showing.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
People have been wanting forever to see Nintendo supporting the competitive community and now that they finally fu**** do it it's just a "conspiracy and a complot" they're doing just to ditch PM out of tourneys?

This community sometimes, I swear to god...

Last edited:

IvyDivyHorkyDorky

Smash Rookie
I spent the last few months arguing with poeple over this, and I simply don't have the motivation to entertain you. Prog's retelling of what happened at the invitational and the various interviews we've seen as of recently should be enough evidence. Go read them.
Ah OK. Well I was hoping you could elaborate with your own opinion, but never mind. I'm just so excited that Nintendo is showcasing the competitive potential of their games for once!

IvyDivyHorkyDorky

Smash Rookie
Well yes, removing advanced techniques is what divided the scene in the firs tplace. had this not happened, I'm sure we'd be much less divided in the first place.
Sure Melee has it's techniques but I was wondering how you feel about the inclusion of footstooling, groundbouncing, and the new ledge grab mechanics? I think they add a lot of diversity that is all about positioning which is the spirit of smash!

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Sure Melee has it's techniques but I was wondering how you feel about the inclusion of footstooling, groundbouncing, and the new ledge grab mechanics? I think they add a lot of diversity that is all about positioning which is the spirit of smash!
Footstooling I find very intrusie being on the jump button. I really don't like how it is mapped at all. As for the ledge mechanics, I don't care enough to try more, but it does contribute in making the game even mroe defensive.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Jesus, the hate for Nintendo on this decision...

Kinda makes me glad I don't care much for Project M, now that SSB4 has given me almost everything I could ask for. Good to see that Nintendo is giving the competitive scene their official endorsement! I hope they can keep this up for the following years to come.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Why does nintendo always have to screw over competitive smash. First it was melee now project m. And if you think they really care about competitive smash by sponsoring just look what they did back in evo 2013, this is just to promote smash 4 and make more money, nothing more.
Which is totally fine since, y'know, Nintendo is an enterprise and you don't get rich by resting on your laurels...

Proobie44

Smash Cadet
Mixed feelings here, while it's great that Nintendo is sponsoring Apex I do feel like we're being used, like "Oh man let's get in on this while we still can" feeling. It unfortunately is at the cost of Project M's presence but I think we should just wait and see how the tournament plays out.

As for all the Project M players I suggest you guys try to make the tournie scene for PM bigger, go the extra mile to show that this game matters just as the rest. Maybe it'll never get the big venues but it's worth the fight even if Nintendo tries to pull out lawyers.

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
Footstooling I find very intrusie being on the jump button. I really don't like how it is mapped at all. As for the ledge mechanics, I don't care enough to try more, but it does contribute in making the game even mroe defensive.
Maybe I'm asking a silly question here, but the removal of planking and demotivation of ledge-camping makes the game more defensive... how, exactly?

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I don't think so. I think the scene was divided due to childish insecurities between members of both communities. Hear me out:

I'm a Melee player too (see my sig) and know what you're talking about. Let's forget what Brawl took away though and what Brawl introduced: a whole amount of people to the Smash Bros series. Look how many we've got playing Melee now, some even playing several in the entries or even all of them. Think about how Smash 4 could benefit the community overall with this too.

But now, introduce the childish insecure arguments against other games. I say these are "childish insecure" because really, the only reason to hate on another game is to get all angsty and paranoid that it's going to "kill" your own game. Btw, it's not, Melee's been alive for 14 years. Can you honestly blame someone for not wanting to play or get involved with Melee based on the comments they received from a Melee player? I wouldn't really blame them.

Brawl may not have been what most Melee fans wanted (it wasn't my favorite Smash game, that's for sure), but the divide between people isn't something that had to happen, and is something we should work towards joining together. Just because Brawl isn't my favorite game doesn't mean I hate the people who play it. That's childish. I would much prefer to introduce people to my game without insulting them, just like they introduced me to theirs.

If more members of the community would get over their childish, insecure arguments with each other, and if we instead approached each other with an open mind and listened to each other instead of flinging crap at each other, I assure you we wouldn't be as divided as we are now. And when I say we, I'm not just including the Melee community, but also the entire Smash community in general.

Last edited:

IvyDivyHorkyDorky

Smash Rookie
I see where you're coming from. I know a lot of people who don't like SF4 because it's too defensive in comparison to SF3.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm asking a silly question here, but the removal of planking and demotivation of ledge-camping makes the game more defensive... how, exactly?
Planking was a problem because of unreasonable ledge invincibility. Fix that and it's not a problem anymore.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Hey Sakurai, if Smash isn't fit to be a fighting game played seriously, then why is your employer investing thousands into endorsing it in the biggest fighting game competition of the year?

Mashpotato Samurai is out of the loop.
I think that was mistranslated and he was actually saying that he didn't want the game to be geared solely to competitive players, but was fine that people can play it competitively.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
It ain't the 90's now tho.
Unless you have a time machine, or you joined the Illuminati AND got a free time machine.
Pfft. The time machine was in the welcoming basket! I'm currently working on seeing you through your own dollar bills. :dazwa:
EDIT: NaCl levels have never been this high. Let me add a few doses more!
:shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker:

Last edited:

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
How can you be hype over this?

I swear the people hype about this are the same kind of people that enjoy smash 4. It's sad. Literally took out the second hypest thing of the whole event just so Nintendo could sponsor it. Which brings exactly nothing, because time and time again they embrace casuals more than the competitive play. They just saw a relatively big community in you which they can make money off.

****s sake are you people stupid.
You might have to be careful, man. Too much salt can kill you.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
To be fair, the Smash community isn't really much of a thing anymore. At the last VGBC stream I watched, Smash 4 players wouldn't stop harassing Project M viewers. It made it evident to me that there is no longer this thing we call a smash community, only divided, segregated communities. Nintendo is responsible for creating this situation in the first place however.
Compared to the harassment smash 4 players get everywhere that's nothing compared to that situation.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
No wonder why P:M isn't a thing, now.

Nintendo doesn't endorse it.

On one hand, we have Nintendo directly recognizing the competitive community more.

On the other, no P:M.

I AM STILL SOMEWHAT BRIMMING WITH RAGE

But seriously thank u based Regginator
Didn't some people at Nintendo say to the 16 people at the smash invitational that Project M is perfectly fine?

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
> Nintendo openly sponsors 80% of the competitive Smash communities' games and 100% of the ones they created.

>Nintendo hates competitive gamers.

Makes sense... Contrary to popular belief, the competitive community isn't just Melee and Project M and that's part of the issue here. The original, Brawl, and SSB4 communities shouldn't just be casually dismissed all the time. Melee isn't the only official competitive Smash game.
The problem here is that Project M is getting dismissed.

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone! This is my first post but I've been lurking for quite awhile now. A big thanks goes out to everyone here because, despite the divided nature of this community, everyone here is really helpful and welcoming. I came from the competitive CS community which is incredibly hostile through and through.

Something I would like to mention is that the suspicion around Nintendo's motives is a pretty common phenomenon in the business world. Organizations who transition from an autocratic management style to a participative model will find employees questioning managerial motives.

"Ok, what's your point?"

The community's response to this monumental change in policy is completely natural! Will we ever truly know what caused Nintendo to change their minds? Probably not. The only way for us to truly know what their intentions are is to wait it out. It's possible this sponsorship is a precursor for dialogue between the competitive scene and developers, or perhaps its a massive PR stunt. Fact is, we do not know how this will impact the future of competitive smash and the best way, IMO, to steer this partnership in the direction most advantageous to the competitive scene is to embrace it, rather than resist. I wish there was another way for PM to be included under Nintendo sponsorship, but IP laws and rigid corporate policy will always dictate the organization's response in these situations.

I am hopeful but skeptical at the same time. Let's wait and hope for the best, since that's really all we can do anyways

Last edited:

OmegaXT

Smash Rookie
NNID
OmegaXT
3DS FC
2337-4293-7873
I really don't think PM is as good as people say it is. Even if I start a comment war, I personally think Brawl is MANY leagues better than PM.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
inb4 big house 5 drops PM

Last edited:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Compared to the harassment smash 4 players get everywhere that's nothing compared to
that situation.
Please, let's not have a bleeding hearts contest. Harassement is wrong no matter in what ways and in what quantities.

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
Are people treating the obvious as the discover of the millenium?

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
I'm conflicted on this. I mean, this is what we wanted right? Nintendo is finally supporting us and the games we love to play! We've been pushing for this for years, and now it's finally within our grasp! But what's to become of Project M? Why is Project M such a threat to Nintendo that they can't even coexist for the sake of the community? What about the countless hours that the PMDT has put into making the best game they possibly can, not for money, but for the fun of it? Hell, Project M has more downloads than there are members on this site! It's clear that what started as just a recreation of Melee Falco has evolved into something so much more than that! It just really sucks that, as things stand now, Nintendo's support means we won't be seeing Project M at any major tournaments for a while.

Top Bottom