• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo sponsored Brawl tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
How great for European gamers :(

I bet Nintendo will never make official tournaments over here.

Frames

DI
Dude that crystal wii is awesome, but why no locations in the southeast :( We're regions too, look on the boards!

The one question I had though is, is this the american version or japanese? The first tournament is on the 16th, and if the american versions' ready, then that would bring up some serious questions about why it's not released yet. Also, will all characters be playable? Some people have gotten practice with hidden characters already and it seems unlikely that best buy would spring the full roster on unsuspecting victims (even though most of us know it anyways).

Gyumi

Smash Cadet
Dude that crystal wii is awesome, but why no locations in the southeast :( We're regions too, look on the boards!

The one question I had though is, is this the american version or japanese? The first tournament is on the 16th, and if the american versions' ready, then that would bring up some serious questions about why it's not released yet. Also, will all characters be playable? Some people have gotten practice with hidden characters already and it seems unlikely that best buy would spring the full roster on unsuspecting victims (even though most of us know it anyways).
Most likely it will be American
Also where else?
Meh. I would go but I it to far way ;(
I guess most of the details will be explained at the tournament

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Honestly... this tournament is completely unfair already. They're assuming that no one has gotten to play the game yet, but there will be a handful of people who will have an insurmountable advantage over everyone else because they have an imported/burned copy of the game.

On top of that, I have a feeling that there will be a huge line out the door 12-24 hours prior to the tournament... I doubt that most people will even be able to get in. :(

It would have been way better if they waited a month after release and had smaller tournaments all over, with the top players from those tournaments gathering in a final tournament.

Coselm

Smash Ace

Yeah I live in South Florida!

They should have had one in Miami or N. Florida or something...

W.e.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
My sentiments exactly! Miami and the ATL are surely large enough to host one of these events. Oh well. If I thought I had a chance of winning I would make the trip up to NY but right now it would be a waste. Oh well. Good luck everyone else. lol

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
this is a joke. how can they have a NATIONAL competition, but only have it in 3 states!??!

thats bs, the least they coulda done was have ONE IN CA, one in chicago, one in TX, one in southeast region

according to nintendo and bestbuy, the national champ can only live in California, New England or New York

screw Bestbuy. *******s

SYC!

Smash Apprentice
WOW. That is straight up BULLCRAP!

1. PLENTY of people have already had a chance to play the game EXTENSIVELY. Where's everybody elses fair shot?

2. How in the WORLD am I supposed to play? They couldn't set up ANYWHERE in the south east?

3. Even the NUMBER of locations is straight up ********. How many people are they expecting?

**** you Nintendo. You guys OBVIOUSLY don't need to be hosting tournaments. Let the guys who organized the Melee tourneys handle it, you scrubs.

rancor1985

Smash Rookie
HAHA, I go to Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Oden Hall is a mere 3 minute walk from my apartment.

But Spring Break starts Feb. 29 and I'm going home to San Diego. I will have effectively dodged all available tournaments, the one at WPI by a hair. Then again, I could live in Florida like the above poster, and never get near one....

higgins

Smash Apprentice
i wonder if nintendo will ever make an event in Canada i have been waiting for it for a very long time

YSM

Smash Apprentice
Every friggin time Nintendo does something really awesome like this, they always limit it to big cities at least 1,000 miles away from where I live. Florida and the rest of the southeast ALWAYS gets ignored.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
And then there's Canada, getting nothing as usual.

Whoever wins the "custom-designed, crystal-covered Wii," be sure to post pics! :laugh:

NDUDE

Smash Ace
Why the hell does Nintendo pick the same spots over and over again for huge events? Have they forgotten about other areas around the country? I'm surprised it's more than just New York, despite how few locations there are...

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
<== going to San Francisco

Thanks for this information. See you all soon. =P

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
I know that EB Games at least in Canada will be doing a Brawl tournament in April... but I don't know any rule details. It's supposed to be a three day event, 48 entries per day, in only 4 hours... probably means FFA single-elim with items, 2 minutes per match.

Bullet

Smash Cadet
Why the hell does Nintendo pick the same spots over and over again for huge events? Have they forgotten about other areas around the country? I'm surprised it's more than just New York, despite how few locations there are...
I dont know, being that brawl is Wifi, this is just kind of stupid of Nintendo to begin with.

whoever makes the tournaments must be the same ones who made the Virtual Boy and Philips CDI.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Bullet: please think about what you're saying before posting. You look like a fool.

Melee has had an extensive history of "pro" tournaments. The most obvious one being Major League Gaming, where payouts went into the thousands.

Also, Wifi tournaments cannot be taken seriously with material prize handouts, authentication, cheating, lag, and so on and so forth. With prizes this heavy a live venue is the only way to do it.

Also, we have this thread already: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144509

Bullet

Smash Cadet
Cheating? your not serious right?

lag I can understand, but if these suppose "Pro" tournaments took place, they must of took place just so certain people can get into them, because their sure the hell was none of that happening in the South.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
With any sort of online play, there is potential for cheating and hacking to disrupt the gameplay, and sometimes it's subtle enough to go unnoticed. Even without this in mind, there are several reasons why serious or heavy tournaments of console games only take place live.

Also, MLG has hosted events in Dallas, Texas and Atlanta, Georgia. Just because you didn't put forth the effort to go to these popular city venues (a fiscally sound choice) or knew about them, doesn't mean they never existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom