• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Sponsored Brawl Tournaments Begin March 8th

Zero9teen

Smash Rookie
Check with your local GameStop, but ours has just received word that we will be hosting a sponsored tournament the night before release (March 8th).

Matches will begin starting at 9PM.

This IS a tiered tournament. Winners at each individual store move on to Regionals. Regionals to State, and State to National -at the San Jose GameStop Tournament store.

No prizes were disclosed, nor were any rules, but for now this is what I have.

Oh..and .employees are unable to compete =\

RetroGamer

Smash Rookie
So does this mean there's going to be a midnight launch? since they are staying open later than usual? (Anyway, I'm in.)

Revven

FrankerZ
Check with your local GameStop, but ours has just received word that we will be hosting a sponsored tournament the night before release (March 8th).

Matches will begin starting at 9PM.

This IS a tiered tournament. Winners at each individual store move on to Regionals. Regionals to State, and State to National -at the San Jose GameStop Tournament store.

No prizes were disclosed, nor were any rules, but for now this is what I have.

Oh..and .employees are unable to compete =\
If I don't call them to ask about it, will the Gamestop I reserved the game from notify me anyway? Or, do I really have to call them about it?

YSM

Smash Apprentice
Stupid question, but you don't NEED to pre-order to play at the tourney, right? I plan on buying my game from Best Buy since I get a discount for working there.

On the other hand...tourney=midnight release=all nighter:chuckle:

Pengie

Smash Lord
I called the Gamestop that I preordered Brawl from and they said that they knew nothing about a tournament on March 8.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Stupid question, but you don't NEED to pre-order to play at the tourney, right? I plan on buying my game from Best Buy since I get a discount for working there.

On the other hand...tourney=midnight release=all nighter:chuckle:
Er, isn't Best Buy's discount cost + 10%? This makes 99% of video games (including Brawl) more expensive after the discount than if you bought it regularly. Well, in Canada anyway. I'm pretty sure US BB's discount is the same.

CreamPuffDoom

Smash Apprentice
019itssocooltoseeyouhere.

Cough.

Anyway, I wish Nintendo Australia would have these tournaments. It sounds so awesome. I know I would participate.

S2

Smash Lord
I hope my gamestop does this and does a midnight release.

My original plan was to have my first Brawl experience be with a new character. Well I know who lives in my area... my new plan is to pick Sheik and be a cheap ***. There is only 1 other player in my town who's better than me at the game and he's a Marth player (hehe, not on the starting roster).

Not to mention, I bet there will be a whole bunch of little kids who'll show up. Maybe that means I can try a new character first.

ThatOtherGuy

Smash Cadet
Bah, the Gamestop I preordered at is a new one, and not very big, so there probably won't be anything...all the reworking of characters makes me glad I use a straightforward character like Mario, who didn't experience any drastic change in viability moving from SSB64 to SSBM and probably won't in the move to SSBB.

Has Gamestop ever done tournaments for any other game at launch? Or at all?

Tomanator33

Smash Apprentice
I hate that employees cant join, I have been training for a few months and have gotten alot better with my fox.

Tomanator33

Smash Apprentice
Yes they have done a Pokemon Battle Revolution one but It was only the winner at that store got a shirt and a free copy of pbr.

ThatOtherGuy

Smash Cadet
I hate that employees cant join, I have been training for a few months and have gotten alot better with my fox.
That's a standard thing for any company to do, to avoid bad PR ("That guy cheated!") if an employee won. Maybe you could leave and come back? :laugh:

Ced The Lad

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo sponsored huh? This reminds me of the last time I went to a Nintendo sponsored competition: The old Red/blue version of Pokemon. I was in junior high at the time but almost all the other players were little kids. So of course when they got trounced by the better players, they would cry . . . all that shrieking was not fun.

If this is true, I'm hoping this scene doesn't repeat itself. I'm all for a tourney as long as everyone there is a good sport.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Canada gets nothing as usual :(
Australia says hi.

If Europe where to have something like this, Australia would not be considered. So whenever you think something relating to gaming in Canada sucks, just say to yourself...

'At least we arent Australia'. :psycho:

YoshiAngemon

Smash Cadet
Good thing I pre-ordered AND paid for my copy of Brawl in full at the local Gamestop! Now, all I need is a few games to hold me over until I can get it!

YSM

Smash Apprentice
Er, isn't Best Buy's discount cost + 10%? This makes 99% of video games (including Brawl) more expensive after the discount than if you bought it regularly. Well, in Canada anyway. I'm pretty sure US BB's discount is the same.
Nope. I generally get about $9 off $60 games, $7 of $50 games, etc. It's nothing big, but it never hurts to save when possible

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Hmm, interesting. I know there is a Gamestop near me already planning on having weekly tournaments just for fun, but I have not heard anything about this...

Top Bottom