• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo to stop selling 3 controllers, including Gamecube.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
weird...
hm maybe this would be a good time for me to break out that patent I have for "a rectangular and/or square-shaped unit (possibly referred to as a gaming "cube", "box", or "station") that permit a user to enjoy an interactive gaming experience when a gaming manual-interaction device (controller) is used."

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Baw! Has anyone even heard of anascape? And how does the GameCube controller and the Classic controller infringe the patent/copyright/whatever? I understand how the WiiMote would, but everything else is BULL****! I just hope Nintendo does the royalty thing! There are people with Wii's who didn't get a GameCube first! There are people who are going to get a Wii without buying a GameCube so they can play GC games too! What about the Virtual Console/WiiWare? The Majority of the games there require a Classic Controller or a GC controller! Baw!
Correct. Nobody has ever heard of anascape. I searched google, through 42 pages and all there was was stuff about the nintendo issue. There is nothing else about it.
This is all we have to do. Every nintendo gamer in the world shall put in $5 and since everybody is a nintendo gamer (right?) there will be more than enough to pay for the... stuff.
Seriously, everybody except anascape thinks this is wrong.

Also I have a patent for spoken language, I can sue everybody for speaking without my permission.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I fixed your quote.
Because that's what it is. They're all bloody idiots. You can't patent something not make it, and then sue someone else for actually doing it.
Well, legally you can apparantly, but it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

And besides, didn't Nintendo already stop making Gamecube controllers? I don't see any in stores anymore.
Well, your version applies to the situation more than mine does, but they're both outlandishly ridiculous. :p

And, as far as I know, Nintendo has stopped manufacturing GameCube controllers. They don't sell them any more, either.

This just goes to show that Anascape is a money-hungry, corrupt organization that needs to go boom. Fast.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
And, as far as I know, Nintendo has stopped manufacturing GameCube controllers. They don't sell them any more, either.
They still make them(or at least they're still being sold at various places, new), they only sell them online at online stores like Bestbuy.com or their own Nintendo store site(forgot what it was called).

meta master

Smash Journeyman
Well, your version applies to the situation more than mine does, but they're both outlandishly ridiculous. :p

This just goes to show that Anascape is a money-hungry, corrupt organization that needs to go boom. Fast.
anascape isnt even in the yellow pages and isnt it convient that the hearing took about 10 mi away from anascape in EASTERN TEXAS? AND WITH AND TEXAS JUDGE?

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Nintendo didn't copy anyone. Stupid douchebags who started this lawsuit. The patent system is so freaking stupid and messed.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Anyways, it seems like game companies get sued more often because of their controllers than anything else. I just wonder: who the hell are these companies that seem to hold every patent imaginable when it comes to controllers?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
All in favor of storming Anascape's headquarters with large, blunt objects?

We must FIGHT (for our GameCube controllers).

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
All in favor of storming Anascape's headquarters with large, blunt objects?

We must FIGHT (for our GameCube controllers).
They probaly don't have one. You realize they've never made anything at all, right? They have no website, not in the yellow pages, NOTHING.

Zombieoficer

Smash Journeyman
There should be some kind of time restraint on patents so people don't wait in the bushes for years at a time for unsuspecting companies to make something that only slightly resembles what they patent.

Anascape doesn't even make anything. They just leech.

****, sometimes I hate my state.

Edit: Nintendo's a big, rich, company, isn't it? They can make people disappear, can't they?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Meh. Somebody still needs to pay, and it sure as hell isn't Nintendo.

They shouldn't have to pay $21 million dollars to a money-hungry leech.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've never even heard of Anascape. This sounds rather stupid if you asked me.

A lot of Nintendo gamers could be in trouble if they are no longer allowed to use their Gamecubes or Wiis, just because of a stupid controller ban.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
i dont know about you guys but this scares me... nintendo better do something quick...i dont want to have to get better with the wiimote for brawl.....

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Nintendo will give in and pay. This is just so stupid though.

I mean, they're sueing because of analog sticks. Hell, those existed back in the Atari days and this patent was made in 2000.

Kirby_AllStar

Smash Rookie
i dont know all that much about this, im just getting nintendo no longer selling GC controllers.
So, would nintendo be able to redesign a new controller that would have the same coding as the GC, but look different. like redesign the joystick that got sued or whatever?

Duker

Smash Journeyman
The whole american courtsystem should be remade. Ever heard of the burglar that sued the family whose house he broke into, and WON? Or the woman who sued a store because she tripped over a kid... her OWN **** kid, and once again, WON!

Darkurai

Smash Master
YYYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSS!

Finally! people will stop talking about cool techniques i will never use!
Nintendo is getting sued 21 million dollars by a "company" that's never made anything, and all you can do is cheer for the company that's suing them so that people stop talking about AT's.
Biggest.
Scrub.
Ever.

dylan?!?

Smash Rookie
Found this on GameFAQs:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6194855.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;4

Apparently Nintendo is being sued and will halt the sales of 3 types of controllers. Wiimote and nunchuck players might soon be more popular...
wow, im gunna get a few on ebay or something b4 they get expensive, nintendo really is one company that doesnt care about there customers more so money and whats best even tho i am a huge fan, nintendo has let me down multiple times

Ilex

Smash Ace
This company has no website, not even a wiki article. I'm guessing what they do is patent as much **** as they can and wait for someone to infringe on it and jump on them. How lame. Nintendo should just write them a hefty cheque and get it over with.

This reminds me of the time somebody patented the Heimlich maneuver and try to charge people $5 to use it each time.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This is yet another fine example of patents and copyrights forming a broken system, but I suppose you can't feel too bad for Nintendo. They are making a fortune off the Virtual Console that is well in excess of the price it is actually costing them to host those old files. By keeping the source code for the smash games locked away, they are limiting us far more than any controller problems could. All in all, the "system" is still helping Nintendo; there's no reason to be springing to their defense.

pensfan728

Smash Apprentice
I don't quite understand what patent is violated. What exactly does Anascape hold the rights to? Is it shape or something?

EDIT: I found out. This is the patent.. Translated from scientific/legal mumbo-jumbo: Anascape holds the rights to a controller that lets you control 3d images on a screen. It also has a vibrating thing mounted in it to provide feedback to the user. It may also have buttons on it so the user can change what's on the screen.

L__

Smash Master
I don't quite understand what patent is violated. What exactly does Anascape hold the rights to? Is it shape or something?

EDIT: I found out. I can't post the link now but I'll do it tommorrow. Translated from scientific/legal mumbo-jumbo: Anascape holds the rights to a controller that lets you control 3d images on a screen. It also has a vibrating thing mounted in it to provide feedback to the user. It may also have buttons on it so the user can change what's on the screen.
It's called the 6 degrees of freedom. A.K.A. 6DOF. Too bad the Gamecube has a 8 axis controller.

I'm going to write a letter to Anascape...that'll explode. LOL..

Top Bottom