• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Blue Battle Circuit Results round #1

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
You definitely seem to have put A LOT of thought into all of it. And I personally want done the fairest way(not to say this isn't fair). But the only thing I agree on is if Person A shows up to all of Blue's event and does OK and Person B shows up to half and does above average/good but better than OK that Person B is getting an invite over someone who has been dedicated.
Well tbh...person A isn't really doing OK. He's doing pretty bad.

The NE Patriots didn't make it to the playoffs last year after winning 8 games in a row, no one said to them"You know what don't show up for the rest of your games." Your going to the playoffs any way.
This isn't exactly a great analogy because smashers don't get paid just to attend tournaments and cannot financially survive with obligations such as paying bills, traveling, and eating simply off of tournament winnings and therefore have other priorities in life. On the other hand, the NE Patriots make massive amounts of money just for playing football well and don't have to worry about homework and tests. That's another thing: most smashers are in high school or college and get rides from smashers that can drive. While that removes the financial burden, it means that there are other obligations on most smashers.

To attend a tournament, a smasher has to have no other obligations on the day of a tournament and for whoever they are getting a ride has to have none as well. Having both events always happen is not possible for most people.

If you have what you feel is a better system that still rewards dedication but does reward people that just dominate in tournaments, why not position it. If there's 10 of them and someone just owns for like 7 of them, aka M2K, then realistically the math says he's probably getting an invite to the special tourney. But someone's not showing up twice winning the tournament and getting an entry to the tournament. Even someone like Inui and Atomsk have shown dedication and they do seem to dominate in these tourneys, if they continue coming they'll probably lock up a spot a couple of tournaments before the special invitation one starts.
atm it's 5 AM and I have this ghey project due tomorrow so I don't have a system that I put much thought into. Something that sounds nice though is having a minimum requirement, say 3/10 tournaments, to be eligible and then if you have within that minimum requirement then points are calculated for you. That way someone can't get first once and have more points then someone who got 9th ten times.

Magus420 said:
What's the reasoning behind the point scaling you're awarding for each placing?
Well, if hypothetically the same people place top 12 then in your system there aren't going to be enough people to be in the 20 man tournament at the end of the circuit.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Attendance should be just as important. You guys are straight bull****. If the Giants miss some games, they should still go to the superbowl cuz liek, they 1 some other 1s amirite?

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
But Brandon, say your name is M2k right. Would you rather go to a huge tourney with thousands of dollars of payout or Center of the Universe (apparently) gamingworld to win another wii lol. Why should he be punished for wanting to make bigger money elsewhere? If anything this circuit should be held on a day where there arent 3 or 4 other tournies in the same state/area. Try keeping it on sundays. Just a thought, no need to flame me.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
lmao blue, the issue is that you're making it easy for someone who lives nearby and not making it fair to people who can't come as often. Say there are ten of these "Blue Battle Circuit" tournaments.

Suppose localA goes to all ten of them and gets 13th at all of them.
localA now has 60 points.

btw these are some of the following ways to get 13th if 26 ppl are there
1)
lose immediately in winners with no bye
win two matches in losers bracket
lose

2)
lose in winners with no bye
get a bye
win one match in losers
lose

3)
win one match in winners with no bye
lose
win one match in losers
lose

possibly more?

Interestingly enough...lets look at one possible way to get 17th
win one match in winners with no bye
lose
lose

This is the same amount of wins as someone who got 13th. Let's say just to pick the worst possible option, that localA got 13th every time via the second possibility. With a total of ten wins in tournament, they are at 60 points.

Now let's say curseOfFiveB comes to five tournaments and gets fifth at all of them. He has 60 points.

some ways to get fifth

1)
bye
win
lose
win
win
lose

2)
win
win
win
lose
lose

Both of these include three wins. curseOfFiveB has gotten fifteen wins in tournament. localA has gotten ten wins in tournament. curseOfFiveB had to beat better people later in the bracket and localA had to beat someone who was sent to losers fairly early.

Now let's talk about bracketRapedC. bracketRapedC came to all ten of the tournaments but got 17th at all of them and won one match at every tournament. bracketRapedC has 40 points. bracketRapedC has won the same amount of times as localA but because his brackets are always unlucky he got 17th while localA got 13th.

To summarize, curseOfFiveB is obviously more skilled and has even won more often then localA but he has the SAME amount of points. bracketRapedC has come to the same amount of tournaments as localA, he has the same amount of tournament wins as localA, but he has 2/3s the amount of points. Is this really fair? I call shenanigans.
What if curseofFiveB picked snake and just had people trip into his up-tilt for the important games?

Not showing a lot of skill up-tilting people who trip thar. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

No but really this is pretty rapesauce :p

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Inui diddy doesnt counter GW. i dont like how im hearing im overrated and other nonsense. I dont say anything about u chibo so no reason to say such things about me.

Top Bottom