• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Button For Grabbing

peter_neo

Smash Rookie
Hello fellow Brawlers,

I was curious about more skilled players' opinions on the disadvantages of not having a button that is dedicated to grabbing. I use the Wiimote/ Nunchuk combo where the only ways I can do a grab are A+B (too cumbersome for me) or shield grabbing (which is what I do most of the time.) I would assign it to the d-pad, but that is where I have my quick smashes. Any opinions or advice would be awesome. BTW this post was inspired by watching Ice Climbers' crazy grab combos. I really want to do the grab, charged smash combo to annoy my friends, but I'm not sure of how I would do it with no dedicated grab button.

Thanks for reading.

peter_neo

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this is one of the problems I have with the Nunchuck setup. I don't use it often, and I don't use a Z-grab often, but when I want to and I'm using it, it's bad times. (This is especially true for Samus, due to her aerial grapple being a good attack). However, the only C-stick smash I consistantly use is Down, so I've considered setting my L/R on the D-pad to Grab.

Of course, I still have the problem of having to get my fingers on the left triggers working so I can turn off tap jump, but meh.

peter_neo

Smash Rookie
The left trigger C-jump just takes practice IMO. I can short hop pretty well after playing nothing but Wiimote/Nunchuk since I got Brawl.

peter_neo

Smash Rookie
Why not just remap the buttons so that you do have a dedicated grab button?
I'm contemplating moving it to the d-pad (even though I love my quick smashes), but is having a dedicated grab button really much of a difference in comparison to a shield grab?

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Besides metaknight's amazing dash grab, generally shield grabs are better, since if you do a dashing shield grab timed right, it treats it as a normal grab, meaning more range usually, and also less lag time if you miss.

No Limitz

Smash Cadet
I play without a grab button and do fine.
I was too used to Melee's Grab button also doing Aerials but now it's just an air dodge.
You get used to the shield+A grab soon enough. and in most cases it's more useful

Mani

Smash Cadet
I find the only reason I use the nunchuk+wiimote is because it is SO easy to jump.

Try remapping JUMP to B (the button under the wiimote, I think its B).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, this is one of the problems I have with the Nunchuck setup. I don't use it often, and I don't use a Z-grab often, but when I want to and I'm using it, it's bad times. (This is especially true for Samus, due to her aerial grapple being a good attack). However, the only C-stick smash I consistantly use is Down, so I've considered setting my L/R on the D-pad to Grab.

Of course, I still have the problem of having to get my fingers on the left triggers working so I can turn off tap jump, but meh.
I have discovered a MUCH better control setup if you use the Wiimote + Nunchuk.

Set grab to C. Set jump to D-pad Down. Set the other directions on the D-pad to Smash.

D-pad to down is VERY VERY nice for short hopped aerials. There aren't really any advanced techniques that require the Down-smash, so yeah, it doesn't really hurt to not have a button that does the Down smash automatically.

A+B sucks. NEVER use it.

Top Bottom