• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Contest - Annoying or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe-kun

Smash Cadet
I hate that, especially if I'm seconds away from winning a Time Match. But then again, if I'm positive that there's no chance I'll win (I have 1 stock, opponent has 3,) I'll do a NC just to end it quickly.

Blue Flash

Smash Apprentice
Thats one of only good reasons to put No Contest. Sometimes, when my scrub friend is losing, he'll put No Contest, then start johning. Often, he'l say something like "I dont wanna fight in Hannenbow"(even though he chose it), "my character is really bad on this stage", "i was going easy on you", etc.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Thats one of only good reasons to put No Contest. Sometimes, when my scrub friend is losing, he'll put No Contest, then start johning. Often, he'l say something like "I dont wanna fight in Hannenbow"(even though he chose it), "my character is really bad on this stage", "i was going easy on you", etc.
Then he just sucks.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I love it. I have a friend who does that in closely contested matches. It's like the ultimate denial of defeat. I'm more happy when they pull a quick "No Contest" before the loss than just take it. Plus the audience boo's and sighs.

IxxI

Smash Fence
My friends and I only no contest if someone got gimped hori-bad, or something funny happened so we can record it.

Joe-kun

Smash Cadet
Get homebrew and you don't need to be a slave to the 3-minute time limit.
Some people refuse to do that to their Wii, no matter how much people say it doesn't do anything.

I'll stick to 3 minutes, thanks. I'm not risking getting my Wii bricked.

Scott!

Smash Lord
If you pull a No Contest for any reason that isn't technical (forgetting to change a setting before you start) or trying to save a replay, that's just lame. If you're down by a lot, do what you can to salvage it. All of the most epic comebacks start with one person down by a lot. At least, that's what keeps me going. If your friends keep doing it, turn off pausing. I personally prefer to leave it on in case one of our phones goes off so we can pause for that, and for other interruptions, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
If you pull a No Contest for any reason that isn't technical (forgetting to change a setting before you start) or trying to save a replay, that's just lame. If you're down by a lot, do what you can to salvage it. All of the most epic comebacks start with one person down by a lot. At least, that's what keeps me going. If your friends keep doing it, turn off pausing. I personally prefer to leave it on in case one of our phones goes off so we can pause for that, and for other interruptions, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
My brother does this all the time just so it wont say I won.. Its really childish and annoying.

TheStig

Smash Lord
i don't care if they quit the match. a loss is a loss. if they quite early that means that they really got *****

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
"No contest!"

"Oh, did I wiiiiiin?"

I know which one I'd prefer to hear :laugh:.

I do No Contest, but that's usually if I random stage and get one of my terrible custom stages (i.e a remake of 50m) then I'll no contest, and also if I screw up with assigning the right people to the right team XD.

I never actually knew you could still save replays after No Contest, I usually just SD if there's a replay I really want to save, unless I've nearly won the match.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I No Contested in tourney against CK. I was Kirby he was Marth, I fast fell off the ledge and tried to Kirbycide, but it didn't jump first so I SD'd. He was at like 3 stock high percent I was at 1-stock.

I No Contested.

UncleSam

Smash Master
we were doing tourney mode in Brawl(me and a few friends) I'm playing someone, hes using Wolf, and I'm using CF he was beating me and then I spike him for the win but he no contests before he dies and I somehow end up losing... I should have turned off the pause screen idk, It was the worst moment ever

Full Metal X

Smash Cadet
Most hard-core gamers can't stand losing. So the shut it off.

we were doing tourney mode in Brawl(me and a few friends) I'm playing someone, hes using Wolf, and I'm using CF he was beating me and then I spike him for the win but he no contests before he dies and I somehow end up losing... I should have turned off the pause screen idk, It was the worst moment ever
I would have laughed. that sounds awesome!

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
They're annoying.

I didn't even know there was an other side to the argument...

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
No contest is freakin halarious....Its the bee's knees.
First of all its great because you can catch awesome things that happend in replays.
Then if you win like twenty times in a row online... Then when your opponent beats you for the first time vertically right before you die from a star Ko ... you pause and no contest.

This is even more great online with a friend on the phone =O .. Reactions are priceless..
*MOTHA ****KEEERRR IM GONNA CUTTTT YOUUUU*

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Irsic

Smash Ace
People who No Contest because they're sore losers don't deserve to hold a controller.

Geist

Smash Master
It still counts as your win, it just has less... style to it. Like johners. They say stuff, but it doesn't matter. You won.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I thought of that, but i take breaks as well. Also, when I'm doing something, he kills me before i come back in, and then ables pausing again.
Well, if its that much of a problem, and its your Wii, be the "bad guy" and tell your opponent that if they do this, they aren't playing. I dunno. Not many options to give.

Mashour2

Smash Apprentice
I always disable pausing, but I WISH their was a 'Disable No Contest' option somewhere...

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Annoying, pointless and stupid anywhere you go, but (with, I hope, all due respect) especially unforgivable in a tournament match. Not only is it disappointing to anyone watching, it's insulting to your opponent and, if it matters to you, unfair to yourself.

Always try for the epic comeback.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
I only do no contest if I have been losing consistently and am extremely frustrated,
so I chose a different character and keep trying.

MagicalTervor

Smash Rookie
If you're worried that your phone will go off then just use the home menu for pausing. But you're right otherwise.

BobSmith006

Smash Cadet
It's always great to team up (in an FFA match, mind you) 2 or 3 vs. 1, and the one person No Contests because they're getting their *** kicked.

Seriously, though, No Contesting for stupid reasons is annoying. There are some decent reasons (have to leave, lagging too badly on WiFi - which happens to me a lot - etc. etc.), but if you No Contest because you're getting stomped, you're an idiot. I think most everyone else has explained why, so I won't repeat. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom