• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No FF D air with C-stick/Running -> Tilt

SrL04

Smash Apprentice
I have 2 questions

1. How do you D air with the C-stick without fast falling? (This is after you hit the peak of your jump of course)

2. What is the fastest possible way to tilt after running? (I just shield after running the proceed with a tilt, but is there a faster way?)

Thanks in advance-

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I can answer your first question quite thoroughly, so I'll.. just answer that one, lol.

The C-Stick functions in different ways depending on what setting it is in. There are two different ways to direct the Control Stick, of course. You can Tilt the Control Stick, or you can Smash it. The C-Stick set to Smashes and Specials will automatically interpret every input, regardless of how hard the C-Stick is pressed, as the equivalent of Smashing the Control Stick and pressing the associated button. The C-Stick is not analog, and so it cannot differentiate on its own between Smashes and Tilts.

As you may know, however, it is possible to perform Tilts using the C-Stick by pressing both sticks in the same direction. If you Tilt the Control Stick in a direction, and press the C-Stick in the same direction, the move is registered the equivalent of Tilting the Control Stick and pressing the associated direction. For C-Stick Attack setting, every C-Stick input is regarded the equivalent of a Tilt plus the associated button, and there is no way to achieve Smashing the Control Stick plus the associated button.

So, what this means is that if you are at or past the peak of your jump and you simply press the C-Stick in a downward direction, it will automatically fast fall, regardless of how hard the C-Stick is pressed, because the game interprets this as if you had Smashed down on the Control Stick, which would clearly fast fall. If, however, you Tilt the Control Stick downwards and then press the C-Stick down, you can force the C-Stick to be interpreted as a tilt, the same way you can on the ground, and a Tilted Dair won't fastfall.

So, in summary, the only way to do so with the C-Stick set to Smashes is to tilt the Control Stick down at the same time as you input the Dair with the C-Stick. Additionally, if you sacrificed C-Stick Smashes for C-Stick Tilts (the Attack setup), every Dair you input with the C-Stick alone will not fast fall.

Hope that helped.

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
The only way to d-air with the C-stick without fastfalling is to set your C-stick to use tilts. Otherwise, you must lightly push the analog stick down and do the down-air that way.

edit: I crossposted. Apparently you can also tilt the analog stick down (again, lightly!) and C-down to not fastfall. Cute, didn't know that!

Running, or dashing? You should be able to tilt straight out of a run. Shield cancelling your dash seems like the fastest way to get a tilt out from a dash.

SrL04

Smash Apprentice
WOAH! If you slightly press the C stick down, you'll be able to D air without Fast falling? Oh and thanks for the help guys, I appreciated it-

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
To answer your second question, I prefer simply walking at top speed (as opposed to dashing) and then d-tilting, as there is virtually no ending lag on walks, and the speed difference isn't as crucial anymore. If you're already dashing, I'd use shield like you said, but possibly a different attack afterwards, depends on your character. It seems the fastest way for me.

Upsmash out of dash in also totally awesome in this game.

Top Bottom