• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No items, no Zero-Suit Samus?

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
We have yet to see ANY gameplay footage with (in-suit) Samus; Just ZSS. Its far too early to be judging these things.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The stupid thing is, they haven't even showed any pics of Samus since the trailer, we have no idea what Samus is like now but I doubt she's gonna be any different.

The Bino

Smash Lord
If anything Samus will and should look like how she looks in Prime 3, only cuz the game itself is being released August 20th, so technically she should have that outfit on, and hopefully we'll have better choices on what outfits Samus can where besides purple pink and blue, which besides the original outfit blue looks like the Gravity Suit

Shapechanger

Smash Apprentice
I also doubt that a whole character would only be accessable via an item, but I'm also speculatory about a "second level" of her charge shot.
Considering....
A) Samus's charge shot is already a very powerful ability
B) Samus can pause her charging

I can see them not allowing the player to pause the shot once you start to go "second level", but that would make it very difficult to go Zero-Suit against anybody who knows what they're doing.

Therefore, both theories make Zero-Suit difficult to attain. Too difficult to have any purpose in competetive games, even.

There's always the theory that after Samus takes ***% of damage, her suit falls off. This also creates problems, however. Becoming faster may help you avoid damage, but becoming lighter with 100%+ damage on you makes you an easy kill. If Zero-Suit gets put back to 0% when the suit breaks, then you're basically giving Samus two lives.

The only two theories I see working are...
A) Zero-Suit is a seperate character
B) Samus -> Zero-Suit is a transformation akin to Zelda -> Shiek, likely irreversible.

Tera253

Smash Ace
so, with all the speculation to SSS to ZSS (Samus to Zero), any speculation on how to turn back?
after all, what if a Samus accidentally turned into ZSS?
Tera does it with Zelda turning into Shiek all the time.
~Tera253~

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Zamus and Samus will most likely be separate characters.

1. Samus does not need an alternate form. The whole Zelda/Sheik theory was that Zelda had power while Sheik could rack up damage. It was just a bad execution. But having an item be the transformation key would be an even worse idea.

2. Samus should not have to be a selected character, be on a stage, have items turn on, have that item show up on the stage, and be the character to get that item in order to turn into Zamus (while having the drawback of not turning back to Samus).

3. Zamus looks like a fixed Sheik. Sakurai said he wanted more females. If he felt that Sheik needed to be cut (because she was no loner appropiate) and her popular achetype had to be replaced, then a female would be the best choice to fill in both missing gaps. Zamus fits this perfectly. In this regard, she is not a "pure character addition" because she is simply Samus without her suit. But she can be a different selectable character.

4. Obtained during certain conditions is how all unlockable characters are obtained. Maybe this is what Sakurai meant by that phrase, "under certain conditions she takes off her suit". Remember translation between two languages results in weird sentences.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
so, with all the speculation to SSS to ZSS (Samus to Zero), any speculation on how to turn back?
after all, what if a Samus accidentally turned into ZSS?
Tera does it with Zelda turning into Shiek all the time.
Down B is zeldas best move and you know it.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
the stuff he said up a couple posts from here...
this guy wins. 100% agreement. no arguing.

Down B is zeldas best move and you know it.
pfft, who presses that. just like in those tv commercials, its the 'easy button'. (also note that its red in the commercials, just like the b button...coincedence? i think not.)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
pfft, who presses that. just like in those tv commercials, its the 'easy button'. (also note that its red in the commercials, just like the b button...coincedence? i think not.)
As if shiek is easy to play PROPERLY

But hey, prove me wrong. Walk into a smash tourney and pick shiek and automatically win. :p

Back on topic :

I hope that ZSS and Samus are different characters... if you had to like... do something with samus to turn into Zamus that would -BLOW-

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=105315

Heres my latest thread explain all about why Samus and Zero are going to be different. Its a short thread due to being shut down.

Anywho, heres some reasoning.
Samus and Zero Samus are obviously different. (So they aren't completely clones like Link & Y. Link)
We already have a character who can transform (Zelda/Sheik)
Zero Samus can change her weapons (So why transform to transform again?)
Sakurai wants more Metriod characters (Another Samus and Ridley)
The old site said you can get her under certain conditions. (Unlocking through 1 player makes sense)
Smash Ball is an item (Why would Sakurai make a character only usable through an item?)

If they're two different characters, that would make sense. Either we would have the same problem like we have with Zelda/Sheik, as in one of them will never be used. Or the other case is if its through an item then Zero Samus won't be seen in tournaments.

Go to the link for more on this.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
There is no way that ZSS requires an item.
There is no way that Samus will transform into zero suit samus, because unlike zelda/shiek, she doesn't just take her suit off and on.
Also, why would Samus be able to transform into ZSS, and then have ZSS have the ability to transform her weapon?

They are most likely seperate characters, much like Zelda/Shiek should have been.
The reason Zelda/Shiek didn't work was because there was no reason to transform back and forth.

Stuhddabahkz

Smash Apprentice
To the people who thought my assumption was IMPOSSIBLE, seriously, suck a ****.

To the people that were with me and had the same idea, HIGH FIVE!

You people suck, **** this forum.

Flaming_Wuzzle

Smash Cadet
LOL, did you even read the update?
Well, in his defense, that post was made a month and a half ago.

Anyway, I really wouldn't start cursing Sakurai's name just yet, seeing as we don't even know if this will be absolutely the only way to play as ZS Samus. He may use another update to say you can use the holding-A trick to default to ZSS and her Final Smash gives her armor.

It'll still be somewhat disappointing if this really is the only way to use ZSS...but then again I don't main Samus anyway, so it won't matter as much to me.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Considering all the Zamus screenshots, I find it hard to believe the only way to play her is to use her final smash.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I dunno...her forward smash is a pistol whip, by the look of the pic from the smash attack update. her other moves do look very sheik/falcon/samus-like. If they didn't put as much time into her as it seems like, I'm all for FS being the only way of getting to her.

However, should we find out the opposite, heads will roll.

This is stupid.

You know what else is stupid? Making a brand new character so that she may only be accessed by the use of a rare item.

I'm almost positive that she'll be a seperate playable character.Maybe this is the way you unlock her.Too easy? Perhaps you really don't know how easy it was to unlock jiggs.:p

*Very Easy,Classic mode,BOOM!!*

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Yeah, but just having Samus grab a Smash Ball is way easier...

If Zamus is a separate character (which I don't think she will be, but I could be wrong) you would probably have to do more than that...

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
You know what else is stupid? Making a brand new character so that she may only be accessed by the use of a rare item.

I'm almost positive that she'll be a seperate playable character.Maybe this is the way you unlock her.Too easy? Perhaps you really don't know how easy it was to unlock jiggs.:p

*Very Easy,Classic mode,BOOM!!*
Fifty matches, BOOM!

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Yeah, but just having Samus grab a Smash Ball is way easier...

If Zamus is a separate character (which I don't think she will be, but I could be wrong) you would probably have to do more than that...
Every single match? Grabbing the lone FS ball that shows up at a time, doing that every match instead of doing one unlockable event and having her being selectable from the start forever more?

I'm gonna go with the latter being easier.

Pepito

Smash Rookie
I fail to understand why people are crying about this ruining their week. I mean, when you take out such a big part of the gameplay (items) it's not like there isn't going to be all sorts of things that they'll miss out on.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
If there are 35+ characters in the game, why is everyone trying so hard to convince others that Zero Suit will be her own character? Can we move on from this and just look forward to other character that might pop up?

I swear, the only reason some of you want her so much is because shes in a skimpy outfit and she somehow got confused with Shiek.

thegreatace

Smash Cadet
what i wanna know is if zamus is only unlockable in the FS way, then who has the right to say NO to FS if a samus is in play? thats really unfair... pluss Items are fun! even to pros! hehe

Eaode

Smash Champion
Sandman, stop saying that already. It's getting tiring. Yes there are more characters, but why should competitive players have a character taken away from them?

And no one really cares about the outfit anymore, to clue you in. We just want the character.

mrbrightside

Smash Cadet
Here's my guess about whats going to go on here. There will be an Event or Mode (Classic, Story, Adventure, etc.) that will permanently unlock Zamus.

If its an event, it will be something along the lines of the following: A match where you must finish your opponent with your Final Smash. You can choose any character but by choosing Samus, upon completion you will find "A New Challenger Approaches." Thats one way...not really a fan of this seeing as how its so butt easy.

The second way would be something similar to unlocking Luigi in Melee where you'd have to use her Final Smash on the Metroid portion of the Adventure mode (hopefully the boss is Ridley) by drawing out the match and waiting for a Smash Ball to drop and finish the match like that with Samus, and in the following cutscene as you move on to the next character's stage (like in melee moving on to Kirby's Dreamland) a massive explosion will occur not allowing Zamus to reequip her suit for the rest of the Adventure mode. Then you must beat the game under some more unknown conditions and you will fight Zamus and unlock her.

I just don't think old man Sak would spend that much time on a character and only allow you to play as her with items on...but ya never know. Though I am willing to throw all of my eggs into the basket of Zamus being unlockable for Brawl. Your thoughts Hobson?

mrbrightside

Smash Cadet
On a side note Sandman feels he must take on the role of the one infinitely against the grain...whatever the time may be. :laugh:

mrbrightside

Smash Cadet
I bet tomorrows update will let us know that Zamus will be unlockable...though he won't mention how....and Zamus' FS will be her Gunship raining hell upon the stage so she can jump in get her suit back (don't know who to give credit to for that, though it ain't me.) And if I am right I would also assume this would be the only way to switch between the two in game without selecting them individually on the character select screen thus still including a character who has the ability to change movesets yet without giving up a special attack and without neglecting a character entirely (i.e. Zelda/Shiek)

Thats my 2 cents:lick:

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I'm not even going to read the TC's post. This has been discussed in SO many other threads. Plus, this doesn't even belong here, it belongs in CHARACTER DISCUSSIONS.
If you're not going to post in the Brawl Character Forums, you might as well just reply to one of the many threads created to discuss this already.

Edit:
Ok, why is everyone discussing ZSS in the GENERAL BRAWL DISCUSSION forums?
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=109401
Try that. It's in the forums specifically for CHARACTER DISCUSSION.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
The theory about Zamus using an FS to turn back to Samus is absurd. That would have to mean that a Samus player would get unlimited FS's per game, otherwise the change would be permanent. If anything, Zamus could have a move (maybe a charging type b move) that would allow her to regain her suit.
I still prefer to think that Zamus is either 1) Seperatly chooseable-or-2)Low tier.

goombapatrol054

Smash Cadet
remember how you can instantly turn into sheik by holding A before the match?

i'm guessing that if items are off, holding A to transform would be the alternative.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Repeat after me: "this game isn't made fore competitive smashers. This game is madefor Nintendo fanboys." And as all Nintendo fanboys know, the only time Samus fights without her suit is when her suit is damaged beyond repair or drained of power. Having ZSS as an entirely separate character makes know sense for the character as she has appeared in Nintendo games. Just because you guys want a set of moves doesn't mean that the people who play for the glory of seeing Mario beat up Link should have to suffer Sakurai tramping all over Samus's history. You might be able to hold A, and there'll be some way to become Samus again. Stop trying to reinterpret everything Sakurai says to mean the opposite of what Sakurai says so that you guys can delude yourself into thinking that this game is being made for you.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai makes a heavy implication that she's designed to be at a disadvantage. If that's the case then it wouldn't really benefit the competitive scene to make her selectable.

And as said before, it should anger the l337's no more that they spent time making ZZS than that they spent time making a new Star Fox level, the cracker launcher, etc.

Top Bottom