• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No love for Sigurd? (FE4) Discussion Thread

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
Sigurd is pretty high up there in the characters that some Japanese players want to see, but he's getting no love on Smashboards :ohwell: .

Here he is (sorry for the small picture):

EDIT: WAY better picture:

His fans should unite! Another sword user, but the Tyrfing is big, so his play might be a bit slower. Most likely if he's included, he'd probably fight unmounted.

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
Celice's better...IMO

But the Tyrfing isnt SOS/Durandal big ,more like the size of the Falchion
Sigurd seems like a shoe in, so I hope they have Celice as like a costume...

Squatdog7

Smash Apprentice
If they add another FE character i hope it is someone with a different weapon, like an axe or spear. But if they end up removing roy and put this guy in with a totally different moveset then Marth then im all for it!

NukeA6

Smash Master
Isn't Sigurd the most popular lord in Fire Emblem (in Japan)? If so, we may be seeing him real soon.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
If he's the most popular FE character in ALL of Japan, then why is this thread named No love for Sigurd? if there obviously is in Japan...?

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
The only reason I'm against Sigurd and other Japanese characters is because Sakurai is obviously leaning towards characters that have their major fanbases in Japan. I am fervently supporting the 3 Fire Emblem American games because we are so undermined over here.

Here you are, supporting a character which already has such major love in Japan, he doesn't need anymore. Even if there was more support in America for Ike in comparison to the support of Sigurd in Japan, Sigurd would probably still have an edge. So, we need to start supporting our troops on the front lines:

Non-Lords[soldiers]: Canas, Lucius, Nino, Nephenee, Soren, Zihark, some Sacred Stones characters. None jump out at me.
Lords[cavalry]: Ike, Eliwood, Lyn, Hector, Ephraim&Eirika, Lyon.

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
Here you are, supporting a character which already has such major love in Japan, he doesn't need anymore. Even if there was more support in America for Ike in comparison to the support of Sigurd in Japan, Sigurd would probably still have an edge. So, we need to start supporting our troops on the front lines:

Non-Lords[soldiers]: Canas, Lucius, Nino, Nephenee, Soren, Zihark, some Sacred Stones characters. None jump out at me.
Lords[cavalry]: Ike, Eliwood, Lyn, Hector, Ephraim&Eirika, Lyon.
Well I think Sigurd should be in since even though I never played FE4 he seems like a cool character. And besides, what's wrong with Americans supporting Japanese fan favorites if they genuinely like them? And besides, this is ultimately a Japanese game.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
If you read the updated translation thread Sakurai is trying to cut back on japanese characyters.We need someoe from FE of course,but I do not think Sakurai will answer this call.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
The only reason I'm against Sigurd and other Japanese characters is because Sakurai is obviously leaning towards characters that have their major fanbases in Japan. I am fervently supporting the 3 Fire Emblem American games because we are so undermined over here.
Would you be against the characters that gave way to the three American games? It would give a better chance to have some of the classic Fire Emblem's re-released for download on the Wii, which would expose more players to FE's deep history. Even though there is more than likely plenty of support in Japan for Sigurd's addition, he's definately not getting any of the love on Smashboards. However, you are the first one to actually give a reason for you support of more recent FEs, but most other discussion turns their back on the classics, and SSB is about Nintendo's classic characters fighting each other.

I'm all for Lyn and Hector, and Ephraim and Eirik. I don't want Ike because he bores me. :p

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
I doubt Any FE GBA lords will be represented, the GBA FE games are despised in Japan. Took out too many things that didnt get revived till FE9, as you can see only FE3/4/9 characters are voted for. So add in characters hated in one region, where nintendo sells WAY MORE, and loved in another region, where PSP/PS2 is kicking nintendos butt

Also when he was talking about worldwide characters, he said it worked for FE so he might do it again, so i say Sigurds a shoe in, its inevitable.

This should be No love for Celice....

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
Celice is my all time favorite character ever, but i doubt he shows up cause **** japanese like Sigurd more some reason...

Also where are these people that want Celice? Most places I go want Sigurd more(game faqs)

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
Manashima said:
I doubt Any FE GBA lords will be represented, the GBA FE games are despised in Japan. Took out too many things that didnt get revived till FE9, as you can see only FE3/4/9 characters are voted for. So add in characters hated in one region, where nintendo sells WAY MORE, and loved in another region, where PSP/PS2 is kicking nintendos butt

Also when he was talking about worldwide characters, he said it worked for FE so he might do it again, so i say Sigurds a shoe in, its inevitable.

The last I checked DS was killing PSP in sales.

And so what if Sigurd is mounted? Look what they did with Cap. Falcon.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
He said the GBA games, not the DS games. I think that Sigurd would be broken on a horse. He would be too fast and too strong, he'd also be heavy and taller since he was on a horse.

GenG

Smash Lord
Although Sigurd is way popular than Celice (perhaps because most people haven't reached chap 6 yet :chuckle: ), I think Celice has better chances to be in since he is actually the main character of the Jugdral timeline (not Sigurd). Plus, he is more "lordly", has more "starring character" feeling, and he appears in both games from the Jugdral timeline (Seisen no Keifu and Thracia 776). And, Celice has the whole grudge and vengeance thing that makes him very interesting for a fighting game.

Brawl needs a representative from the best timeline in the Fire Emblem saga, I don't care who will be. I don't like GBA FEs very much, but since this game is going to be more appealing for western players, I think replacing Roy for Eliwood or adding Lyn is enough. But no more. No random FE GBA characters.

Brawl needs more balance between series. I think Ike and Sigurd/Celice will be the new FE additions this time.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
GenG said:
Although Sigurd is way popular than Celice (perhaps because most people haven't reached chap 6 yet ), I think Celice has better chances to be in since he is actually the main character of the Jugdral timeline (not Sigurd). Plus, he is more "lordly", has more "starring character" feeling, and he appears in both games from the Jugdral timeline (Seisen no Keifu and Thracia 776). And, Celice has the whole grudge and vengeance thing that makes him very interesting for a fighting game.

Brawl needs a representative from the best timeline in the Fire Emblem saga, I don't care who will be. I don't like GBA FEs very much, but since this game is going to be more appealing for western players, I think replacing Roy for Eliwood or adding Lyn is enough. But no more. No random FE GBA characters.

Brawl needs more balance between series. I think Ike and Sigurd/Celice will be the new FE additions this time.
Some people's ideas for FE characters annoy me. May as well add in Gonzalez or someone. >.> <.<

I definately would not complain if Celice was added in to the SSBB roster. I just feel Sigurd is a better character. Celice just went straight for Grandbell for revenge, but we all know what happened to Sigurd :p.

I doubt Sacred Stones will get any representation at all. :o

GenG

Smash Lord
Lord Knight said:
Some people's ideas for FE characters annoy me. May as well add in Gonzalez or someone. >.> <.<
Yes you are right, random characters suggestions are pretty boring: "OMG Add Erk, Canas, Will, Wallace, Pent and Matthew!". I think a character from the portable FEs is enough with Roy (with moves totally revamped), but Lyn or Eliwood could appear to please western FE fans.

Ephraim is very cool, but his chances to appear in Brawl are pretty slim. A spear-based lord would be insteresting to play as though.

parrothead

Smash Lord
GenG said:
Yes you are right, random characters suggestions are pretty boring: "OMG Add Erk, Canas, Will, Wallace, Pent and Matthew!". I think a character from the portable FEs is enough with Roy (with moves totally revamped), but Lyn or Eliwood could appear to please western FE fans.

Ephraim is very cool, but his chances to appear in Brawl are pretty slim. A spear-based lord would be insteresting to play as though.
Most people believe that Eliwood would be the clone of Marth and Roy, but I have seen him fight while riding on a horse, just like Sigurd. Lyn might be a semi-clone of Adult Link, because they both use a sword and a bow.

Miharu

Smash Hero
IMO, Hector would be a better choice for FE GBA representaion, simply because he uses an axe as his primary weapon, unlike the majority of the other lords.

GenG

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
Most people believe that Eliwood would be the clone of Marth and Roy, but I have seen him fight while riding on a horse, just like Sigurd. Lyn might be a semi-clone of Adult Link, because they both use a sword and a bow.
Well, Eliwood wouldn't have to be a clone if Sakurai doesn't want to. See, in Soul Calibur there are a lot of characters with the same or similar weapons yet they fight completely different. Just put the characters with different swings, slashes, stabs and new B moves.

And about Lyndis - Link... is like comparing a samurai with a teuton knight. Lyndis is about fast hits and evasion, like the Mongolian nomads. The bow is actually shorter than Link's, mainly fast hits from distance since Lyndis is not an archer.

See, I think these will be the possibilites:

Possibility 1
- Marth
- Roy
- Ike
- Cecile/Sigurd
- Lyndis

Possibility 2
- Marth
- Eliwood
- Ike
- Cecile/Sigurd

Possibility 3
- Marth
- Roy
- Ike
- Cecile/Sigurd

Possibility 4
- Marth
- Eliwood
- Lyndis
- Ike
- Cecile/Sigurd

The last possibility is the "western one". The other 3 are more likely, since if I were Sakurai I won't afford two characters from the same game, while Eliwood and Roy are almost clones by looks (since they are relatives). My favourite is the third one, I don't like GBA FEs too much and the presence of a revamped Roy will be enough for me, but not for western players.

What do you think?

Kriegsseele

Smash Apprentice
Ack.
I really need all those FE games. I feel like a complete n00b. It sucks to live in Germany. >_>

Well, I like Possibility 3 the most, since I don't know the character or story of the characters very well.

That's all I can say for now, but Sigurd or Celice would be cool. I'd like to see celice more tho, he's so cute. XD
But Sigurds okay, too. Just another FE character besides Marth and Roy, please Sakurai.

EDIT

Just noticed something:

100th post in a Fire Emblem thread. Wee, I really need those games. :D

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
Marshigio said:
He said the GBA games, not the DS games. I think that Sigurd would be broken on a horse. He would be too fast and too strong, he'd also be heavy and taller since he was on a horse.
First, I figured the DS is the one going up agains the PSP.

Second, why would Sigurd have to be on a horse? Look at Captain Falcon, look at Fox.

Sorry to kick you in the balls....but....

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/731/731871p1.html

and..

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/blog/

Back to topic,Sigurd seems to be a prime choice,but since FE as become a world wide popular series,and since Sakura has stated that characters from other contries in populas are going to be added,it's only fair that they would add characters that are from FE franchises that are popular in te U.S and European states.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I doubt Any FE GBA lords will be represented, the GBA FE games are despised in Japan. Took out too many things that didnt get revived till FE9, as you can see only FE3/4/9 characters are voted for. So add in characters hated in one region, where nintendo sells WAY MORE, and loved in another region, where PSP/PS2 is kicking nintendos butt.
You're an idiot Nintendo games sell better in the American/European/Brazilian/Australian/New Zealand market than they do Japan, all of those reagions not just your own, don't pull the american stereotype and pull your head out of your arse thanks mate.

The GBA Thread's are aiming for Oswin and random
no we want Lyn, Hector, Ephriam and some people want Eliwood and Eirika

And I used to think you were smart, their sword and bow styles are nothing alike plus link also has a hookshot, bombs and boomerang.

we were discussing how they were cool and how Lucius looks like a woman and how Erk pwns

I definately would not complain if Celice was added in to the SSBB roster. I just feel Sigurd is a better character. Celice just went straight for Grandbell for revenge, but we all know what happened to Sigurd
no actually we don't because we arn't all japanophiles or extreme Fire Emblem fanboys.

I doubt Sacred Stones will get any representation at all. :o
me too which is sad because Ephriam would be very unique with his lances.

I do not hate Sigurd completely he is just low on my list of fire Emblem characters which goes like this

1. Hector (Fire Emblem 6 and 7)
2. Lyn (Fire Emblem 7)
3. Ephriam (Fire Emblem 8)
4. Miyaka (Fire Emblem 10)
5. Ike (Fire Emblem 9 and possibly 10)
6. Eirika (Fire Emblem 8)
7. Alm (Fire Emblem 2)
8. Lilina (Hector's daughter from Fire Emblem 6, her class is not lord but she is a lord and a mage)
9. Princess chick (Fire Emblem 9, the Pegasus Knight)
10. Sigurd (Fire Emblem 4)

I rank Sigurd lowely even below Alm and Eirika.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Sigh....just had to go and do things I don't like, didn't you Xian? >.<

First you revive the Sigurd thread, which might bring up more support for him. THEN, you insult Lucius and say Erk is better. O.o unforgivable O.o

HOWEVER, since you are USUALLY on my side of an argument and I do enjoy plenty of your approaches in threads even if I don't want to join in, I do not hate you....Eaode on the other hand.........You did point out some smart things:

1) Right, we are not japanophiles, so the little bit of support for him over here is nothing in comparison to Japan's and it will get overshadowed over here by Lyn/Hector/[Ephraim] support.
2) None of them will be clone-ish. I haven't seen Sigurd's fighting style, but the only person I know of so far with unique sword style is Lyn and her katana-like swords.

BTW: They should keep the DownB Counter for all FE characters, it works and its cool and flavorful.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Nobody at Smashboards knows enough about Fire Emblem to make a good call on anything except me and maybe a few people from FESS/FEFF that might exist here. >_>; Lord Knight is one of those people.

It's getting annoying to see so many people rattle off nonsense about FE. .__.;

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have nothing against Sigurd. He's mainly seen with a lance, which would make him a very unique character. His horse could be used as a special, or in the intro movie. I dont want a mounted character in Brawl. As far as I know, horses aren't capable of doing a up B attack. Since Im pretty sure Sigurd's horse is just a ordinary one...

I wouldn't really mind Sigurd, but I'd rather see another FE character then him. One I preferably know.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
xianfeng said:
no actually we don't because we arn't all japanophiles or extreme Fire Emblem fanboys.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo would want to put a character from a game some people would call a masterpiece instead of "Princess Chick." FE2 is about as much of a FE game is Zelda: Four Swords, and you clearly don't know **** about FE because your list is littered with the GBA games, which weren't that good. And, FE's English community is very small, and it would probably be up to the Japanese to choose who would be there for a franchise that was Japan exclusive until 3 years ago.

GenG

Smash Lord
People who haven't played all FEs or those who don't have a grasp about the FE japanese scene shouldn't be rambling about who may or not may be in, and not to bash Japan only characters. That's your case, Xian. I don't know why the Japan FE fans, who have been playing this series since 1990, wuldn't have they rights to CHOOSE the characters THEY WANT, characters that made impact in the players and in the SRPG genre like Marth or Sigurd. Because they do.

And if you don't know, Japan always gets bashed when speaking about Smash. At least, in the past two games. The Fire Emblem characters seemed to be "candies" for the fans, without the proper integration in the game (stage, items, more trophies... like if they wanted to remove them or not to give them too much importance).

xianfeng

Smash Hero
First you revive the Sigurd thread, which might bring up more support for him.
It was already revived when I came here, that's my story and I'm sticking to it

THEN, you insult Lucius and say Erk is better. O.o unforgivable O.o
but there was a discussion about how lucius looks like a girl which he does and Erk is cool personality wise, stat wise not that great but I like him any way and I like Serra too :p

I'm pretty sure Nintendo would want to put a character from a game some people would call a masterpiece instead of "Princess Chick." FE2 is about as much of a FE game is Zelda: Four Swords, and you clearly don't know **** about FE because your list is littered with the GBA games, which weren't that good.
The GBA games need representation because not only are the GBA games awsome but they are the world (outside of Japan)'s first. Now you know why I get frustrated when people say that DK is the original DK or that DK didn't get a personality overhaul in Jungle Beat.

Nobody at Smashboards knows enough about Fire Emblem to make a good call on anything except me and maybe a few people from FESS/FEFF that might exist here. >_>; Lord Knight is one of those people.

It's getting annoying to see so many people rattle off nonsense about FE. .__.;
When you love a series you get up your self and act like you know more than everyone.

I think they should get one of their charachters fine but we need one as well, when the japaonphiles bash Lyn and Hector I bash Sigurd.

Top Bottom