• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 No MLG next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

'V'

Smash Lord
If I was MLG Id keep us and increase the payouts.
So you guys can fix matches all the way down to top 32..?

Really smart...

You guys are lucky to have the payouts you have, let alone lucky enough to even still be on the circuit.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
and leave trash everywhere.

For real, this has been a problem at every event!
Really displaying a lack of class.

edit:

I'd also would like to add that I recall a situation where my friend was MM'ing M2K.
What happened was, a security guy came over to tell M2K and my friend to quit playing. It wasn't time for friendlies. My friend turns to M2K to relay the msg and M2K just shakes his head. They were both asked multiple times to get off and didn't do so until the guy stormed off, and the match was finished.

I'm not defending my friend, I thought it was a poor display of respect by both of them.

I mean, I had a bad habit of wanting to sit on the stage (TVs 1 - 4 section) when I wasn't supposed to because standing too long really hurts my back. But when told to get up, I obeyed their wishes immediately. Gotta respect the rulez

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
For all the Tekken haters:

Considering that Tekken has a game producer that sponsors them, cooperates with MLG, and encourages them to compete in their game, it's UNLIKELY that Tekken will be dropped next year.

However, with all the crazy things going on in our community, general immaturity of certain incidences at the events, and an overall lack of cooperation from Nintendo, it's unlikely that Smash will return.

If you want to make a differnece, the best thing you can do is:

A) Go to MLG Dallas
B) Act mature and presentable at Dallas
C) Encourage others to do the same.

We need to show MLG that we are a community worth investing in, not a bunch of kids that lose their shoes and knock over doritoes displays, and leave trash everywhere.
This.

Let me shed some light, as a member of the Halo community, as to why Smash has a higher chance than Tekken of getting dropped.

As Halo players, in MLG, we have a lot of leeway, seeing as Halo would never get dropped. However, for other games that aren't flagship, you have to make yourselves look better than the Halo community. Which, frankly speaking, isn't that hard. Show up (and by showing up I mean actually ****ing go to the event, it's $35, you guys have a much bigger community than GoW did and Tekken and competitive WoW, like, honestly). Show up, get hype, be respectful, and follow the rules.

What Brawl players did do -

Not generate as much attendance as MLG would hope.
Had hype, but immaturity almost always accompanied it.
Unfortunately, Nintendo ****ed you guys over with the live stream.
Match fixing.
Knocking down stands.

It's one thing if Halo players knock down stands, the players that were involved would be punished and banned, but as a game, Halo is fine. You guys NEEDED to be almost perfect, nobody is saying you can't have fun, but why the **** were there Brawl players involved in that incident? Why don't two of the best Brawl players in the world know that splitting pot is against their contract?

Now let's look at Tekken -

Great commentators and players, extremely friendly.
Didn't generate as much attendance, but always have lots of hype and exciting to watch, draws in other viewers.
Live stream, meaning their company co-operates with MLG, which is a huge plus.
MATURITY.

To sum up, Brawl started off with a lot of positives, but then just degraded into negatives. Tekken started off good, and has turned great.

IMO, Brawl will get dropped before Tekken does, with the way things have been going.

ChKn

Smash Ace
For all the Tekken haters:

Considering that Tekken has a game producer that sponsors them, cooperates with MLG, and encourages them to compete in their game, it's UNLIKELY that Tekken will be dropped next year.

However, with all the crazy things going on in our community, general immaturity of certain incidences at the events, and an overall lack of cooperation from Nintendo, it's unlikely that Smash will return.

If you want to make a differnece, the best thing you can do is:

A) Go to MLG Dallas
B) Act mature and presentable at Dallas
C) Encourage others to do the same.

We need to show MLG that we are a community worth investing in, not a bunch of kids that lose their shoes and knock over doritoes displays, and leave trash everywhere.
D) Someone make an awesome motivational speech after the finals that'll make everyone in the room cry.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
What Brawl players did do -

Not generate as much attendance as MLG would hope.
Had hype, but immaturity almost always accompanied it.
Unfortunately, Nintendo ****ed you guys over with the live stream.
Match fixing.
Knocking down stands.
Hilarious.

So based on something that wasn't even ever proved to have happened, we can assume that there is a LOT of match fixing going on in the Brawl community at MLG?

And one Doritos stands was knocked down. ****, that obviously means that knocking down stands is part of the smashers' nature! They really do trouble all the time! :cool:

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
As far as the match fixing goes, both of them admitted it to (although ADHD has changed his story a couple of times since then), and MLG has the proof (they can't tell who gave it to them because that would be unethical). Even though this particular case of match fixing is the only we (we know of) to have happened at MLG, Smashers regularly and publicly admit to doing this on a regular basis. Armed with that knowledge, and the knowledge that two of Brawl's top players felt it was OK to do it at MLG, that's enough grounds for the company to drop us. We did it once there, and do it regularly at our own events; logic dictates it will happen again.

In reference to the Doritos incident... it's vandalism. That's a serious charge. Frito Lay could press individual charges if they wanted to, you know. Especially if there was security cam footage.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
As far as the match fixing goes, both of them admitted it to (although ADHD has changed his story a couple of times since then), and MLG has the proof (they can't tell who gave it to them because that would be unethical). Even though this particular case of match fixing is the only we (we know of) to have happened at MLG, Smashers regularly and publicly admit to doing this on a regular basis. Armed with that knowledge, and the knowledge that two of Brawl's top players felt it was OK to do it at MLG, that's enough grounds for the company to drop us. We did it once there, and do it regularly at our own events; logic dictates it will happen again.

In reference to the Doritos incident... it's vandalism. That's a serious charge. Frito Lay could press individual charges if they wanted to, you know. Especially if there was security cam footage.
How can MLG even enforce such a rule as "not fixing matches"?
-> how can they know whether players fixed their match or not?
--> if they can only assume it, should players be punished for apparently not playing their best?
----> would they think that "not playing your best" can only be due to match fixing?

As for the part highlighted in red: if ADHD's version of the story is true, he obviously didn't feel it was OK to do it and instead told M2K that they would talk about it later. And he gave Jason 300$ after the competition out of sympathy. In that scenario, both players played their set normally and no match fixing was done.

And even M2K somehow thought there was some kind of deal with ADHD or not during the set, it most probably wouldn't have meant anything at all, considering ADHD beats M2K about 95% or more of the time.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
No title's fate for next year is decided yet.

As to the Doritos incident. It was NOT a staff member that did it. I watched the entire thing unfold from the tower. I watched a Production Assistant and a security guard tell 3-4 smashers 3 TIMES to not get into bins (1 time by the roaming guard and 2 times by the PA breaking down the Doritos triangle stage).

After the PA and the guard were gone, the same individuals tipped over the bins and started unloading the bags. How do I know? I watched from the tower and by the time I ran down the steps and ran to the back, there was a frenzy of people grabbing bags, even carrying one of the displays over to the Smash area. I recognized many of the top players there, yes you Ally were one of them.

The bins were on the circuit all year and shipped around by Doritos. Now they're cracked, chipped, and need to be restuffed. The bins were set up so that the they had layers of different Doritos flavors, organized with the logos facing out. It was quite tedious for one of our sponsors to do, considering the bins are so tall, and the work was precise.

Bottom line, it was disrespectful, and MLG staff did NOT lead the charge.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I wonder if anyone would have cared if the two people banned were Charizardmaster94 and DarkFalcon.

Hilarious.

So based on something that wasn't even ever proved to have happened, we can assume that there is a LOT of match fixing going on in the Brawl community at MLG?

And one Doritos stands was knocked down. ****, that obviously means that knocking down stands is part of the smashers' nature! They really do trouble all the time! :cool:
You're missing the whole point of his point.

Brawl needed to be perfect to make it.

Brawl was not perfect. In fact, it was far from perfect.

Not only that, but vandalism and two of the top 10, including the best player, involved in some shady deal? These are serious charges, not just some joe schmoe spilling his soda on a TV.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Brawl needs to cap at Dallas to get in next year.

M2K and ADHD are banned. Hate for MLG occurs. Probably will cause a shrink in attendance.

There's no way it can happen now. Unless the decision is reversed or something.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I just booked my flight right away since we are being blamed for the Doritos incident, which means that we have no chance of coming back next year

I don't care if I can't afford it. we're going out with a BANG!

Kel

Smash Master
MLG is one of the greatest things to ever happen to the smash community. They took something small and underground and turned it into something real. We're no longer playing in basements and going unrecognized by our video game peers. This turned our hobby into something real during the Melee days, and I'm very happy it's come back for Brawl.

I will do anything in my power to help persuade MLG to keep smash. It's quite an embarrassment that our community is the culprit of disgracing one of MLG's sponsors. It sounds like a giant misunderstanding and I'm quite sure that no one from our community would have any malicious intentions in what they did. If I could, I would hand-pack the plastic display cases with sample sized Doritos, logo facing forward, myself.

Our community is very appreciative of MLG and all that they've done. We would love to return to the circuit next year, and we'll try to have better attendance.

Teh Future

Smash Master
MLG is one of the greatest things to ever happen to the smash community. They took something small and underground and turned it into something real. We're no longer playing in basements and going unrecognized by our video game peers. This turned our hobby into something real during the Melee days, and I'm very happy it's come back for Brawl.

I will do anything in my power to help persuade MLG to keep smash. It's quite an embarrassment that our community is the culprit of disgracing one of MLG's sponsors. It sounds like a giant misunderstanding and I'm quite sure that no one from our community would have any malicious intentions in what they did. If I could, I would hand-pack the plastic display cases with sample sized Doritos, logo facing forward, myself.

Our community is very appreciative of MLG and all that they've done. We would love to return to the circuit next year, and we'll try to have better attendance.
This pretty much sums up my feelings about MLG and Brawl. When I first started playing brawl I was expecting it to come on the circuit quickly because I knew melee used to be on. I was disappointed when it never came. But then nearly TWO years after i started playing brawl competitively MLG adds it on to their circuit and I was so excited and couldn't wait to go and experience it myself. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make any of the MLGs so far, but I REALLY hope that MLG dallas will not be both my first and last event.

Some of the stuff that has happened recently make me a sad panda, but I hope that MLG does not choose to have a couple people represent what the entire Brawl community is like. I honestly have not heard one person that has been a part of competitive smash say that another game has a better community than us. I really hope MLG chooses to leave brawl in the circuit next year and I think that if they don't they aren't looking at the big picture of everything smash really has to offer.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
this reminds me of when gears of war kids ****ed up te hotel the orlando event was at. needless to say where's gears on the circuit....

CatCatCat

Smash Rookie
Ive been with mlg since early 05, and if they take smash off because of those two incidents it would be really hypocritical and stupid. MLG had people fixing ffas as recently as 2009, and halo kids have done ridiculous things to hotels and venues and still do. They better keep smash :(

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Yeah, except Halo is the flagship game, so unless they do something that literally gets MLG sued, they won't be dropped anytime soon.

Brawl, on the other hand, is some small game that doesn't even have the respect of OTHER game communities, much less even MLG at this point, that doesn't consistently cap quickly, and that doesn't generate NEARLY enough hype to justify the marketing fees associated with hosting the game in the first place. And then, on top of ALL of that, we match fix openly and tear up MLG venues. Yeah, I'd be surprised if the DIDN'T drop us.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Clap you're wrong, we all saw who the heck participated in it, I STARTED THE 'can we take em?' then some guy told us that it was expired and prob for display so no to take em so we put em back. then I wasnt part of it anymore except I was looking, THAT GUY DID APPEAR AND ****ING TOOK THE CHIPS I DIDNT SEE YOU AROUND HIM WHEN IT HAPPENED BLAMING US IS PURE IGNORANCE, shame on you guys. You're all blind and ignorant trying to accuse me for starting trouble LOL and yeah it happened when you were going downstairs then because right as he took them and went to the smash/tekken lobby, EVERYBODY (not just smashers) started taking em all.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
Ally, first off why are you cursing at me? Was I speaking to you in a belligerent manner?

You can say what you want, I watched the entire thing unfold from the tower. I actually was talking to Kasey about it while leaning over the railing. When you guys started swarming the chips is when I ran down the steps and sprinted to the back of the room.

You can say what you want, it was disrespectful. Period. Your excuses about the behavior are pretty ridiculous. Point of the matter is it happened, and I personally watched it happen. Case closed.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
One more post. At the end of the day, it is just doritos. Did we give them out for free all weekend? Yes of course we did. However, you guys knew darn well that those bins had been on the circuit all year as aesthetic fixtures. This was not your first event. You had all weekend to take as many free bags of chips as you desired. The point is the booth was roped off and closed down and you guys decided to go through the stanchions and physically pull the bins over...in some cases breaking, cracking, and chipping them.

You had already pulled the bins over after being told THREE times that it was NOT ok prior to this mysterious 'staff member' telling you it was ok. But as I said, at the end of the day it is just Doritos, but I stand by the fact that it was disrespectful. No need to discuss it anymore, its over.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Ally, first off why are you cursing at me? Was I speaking to you in a belligerent manner?
Probably because you're accusing him of starting some fiasco, which apparently gives MLG enough reason to drop our game from the circuit?

Just saying, man.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
Probably because you're accusing him of starting some fiasco, which apparently gives MLG enough reason to drop our game from the circuit?

Just saying, man.

YOU GUYS are the ones that said this was why Smash is/will be dropped from the circuit. I clearly stated that no title's place on the circuit is set for 2011 yet.

As to accusing him, I watched it happen. I actually yelled at him by name at the scene of the incident. I never said he started the whole incident, but he was a part of it. That is fact, and a fact that he has admitted.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439

Just saying, man.
. . . What?

I was not there. I trust Ally, but I also trust Clap. Their is a discrepancy between what the two are saying, but it does not matter because there has been no punishment towards Ally from Clap, and Clap said it's over. That means it's over.

Also, what does that have to do with Brawl being off the circuit? No one knows if MLG is going to keep Brawl or not, not even me. If MLG wants to drop Brawl, they don't need an excuse to do it. It's their circuit. If Ally is trying to defend himself for the sake of keeping Brawl in the circuit, more likely than not, Ally feels falsely accused, so I can understand his frustration, but it's over.

No more talk of this incident please.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Clap

D

Deleted member

So.....

If Brawl is dropped from MLG, would that mean that MLG will pick up Melee?

What? Who said that?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well what fighting games (or anything that people could compete with) could generate enough hype and attendance to give mlg a profit? I don't know any games except Blaz Blue or something.

If it was anything else I probably wouldn't be interested in MLG.

If it was still Brawl I'd have some interest, just because it's smash. (Meaning I have no base experience with general fighters like SF sadly so I'd probably be unsure of any skill in it)

•Col•

Smash Champion
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that the incident was actually going to make MLG drop us... They may just keep Brawl on the circuit.

But there were already a number of things that could give enough reasons for MLG to drop Brawl... and this whole Doritos problem definitely doesn't help.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
MLG shouldn't drop Brawl. Even if we don't cap, Dallas was too close to DC and to expect that many people to come out. We didn't rep the best we could, but we did well. If MLG decides to drop us then so be it. But we are one of the best and biggest communities and I think we deserve another shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom