• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 No one asked an important question: DLC + Balance Updates

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm surprised no on asked Sakurai at the Smash 4 Nintendo Developer Discussion Panel at E3 about DLC (downloadable content) and balance and or software updates. Confirming these features will definitely prolong the longevity of the title and benefiting casual and competitive players. If anyone at E3 reads this, ask a Nintendo Representative.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Sakurai has said in the past that there are no plans for DLC. They want to make the game as good as possible to begin with, where these sorts of things will not be necessary. However, it is open for them to decide on in the future, but they made it pretty clear that it's not a topic for now

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai has said in the past that there are no plans for DLC. They want to make the game as good as possible to begin with, where these sorts of things will not be necessary. However, it is open for them to decide on in the future, but they made it pretty clear that it's not a topic for now
Of course Sakurai is going to say there are no intentions of DLC in the future, since that would essentially mean that they are going to ship an incomplete game. I'm actually more interested in knowing if there will be future balance updates for Smash 4 to be viable in the long run. I hope someone can ask that important question to someone who might know an answer during the conference.

strikerhawk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Strikerhawk
It seems like DLC would be an ideal pair for Amiibo. Then they could continue to introduce characters into the game after it had been released.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
It seems like DLC would be an ideal pair for Amiibo. Then they could continue to introduce characters into the game after it had been released.
There's no way they will be able to fit all of that data inside one of those toys. Textures alone for a single character is probably 250+ MB.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
There's no way they will be able to fit all of that data inside one of those toys. Textures alone for a single character is probably 250+ MB.
I dunno man, I mean you can buy an 8gb usb for $5. The entire game of Smash bros Brawl was 8gb, and that was mostly from the cutscenes of subspace emissary.
Any idea how much the figures cost? $10 I'm assuming. So they could charge $15 or $20 or so per new character. It'd be a ripoff sure but I'd probably waste all of my cash on them.

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
You don't put the character on the Amiibo anyway, sillys (even though there would be more than enough room for a single character's data). The Amiibo just "unlocks" the content, allowing you to download/patch the game with the new character from the Nintendo store. The Amiibo is essentially just a download code. (Of course this is all hypothetical *wink wink*)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You don't put the character on the Amiibo anyway, sillys (even though there would be more than enough room for a single character's data). The Amiibo just "unlocks" the content, allowing you to download/patch the game with the new character from the Nintendo store. The Amiibo is essentially just a download code. (Of course this is all hypothetical *wink wink*)
What about the half of the Nintendo players that haven't connected to the internet?

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
While the obvious answer would be DLC and patching, I still don't understand how they're going to manage to maintain the hype between the two releases, especially when the roster is going to stay the same.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
While the obvious answer would be DLC and patching, I still don't understand how they're going to manage to maintain the hype between the two releases, especially when the roster is going to stay the same.
For some reason I think the 3DS is going to be more popular than the Wii U counterpart. Earlier release date, same cast of characters, and portable. Hopefully the additional features of Wii U version will make an additional purchase worthwhile.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
Clearly someone didn't watch the section about amiibos, because that's not how they work at all!

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
For some reason I think the 3DS is going to be more popular than the Wii U counterpart. Earlier release date, same cast of characters, and portable. Hopefully the additional features of Wii U version will make an additional purchase worthwhile.
That makes sense, but that's ironically the opposite of what they need to happen.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Sal leak basically confirms DLC.

And I believe that Sakurai has mentioned the possibility of balance patches before, in reference to Meta Knight.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Balance patches please, that's how you ensure the balancing works... When millions can test it for you! The game could also benefit from regular updating, even if it only adds minor things... Keep it alive with new trophies and DLC outfits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom