• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NO PUNCH OUT! IN SSB4 (and here's why).

What do you think the "boxing ring" stage is?

• A Punch Out! stage, duh!

Votes: 90 60.4%
  • A non-series stage, duh!

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • Bro - It can go either way, I'm not sure.

Votes: 46 30.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
You are.

On the Ice Climber's page on the Japanese Melee site, he states that he went through a process of elimination to decide the "NES Ambassador" from among a list of NES stars.
He then gave an example of how he went through elimination, using Excitebiker, Balloon Fighter, Bubbles, and Urban Champion as examples and giving their reasoning (would have to install ramps on each stage, useless if balloons popped, questioned how she work as a fighter, doesn't have anything to make him interesting, etc.), and ended it by saying that the Ice Climbers had no such reasoning.
Ok, my mistake.
In terms of NES reps, I still say Smash needs Gooey and Abobo.
Gooey might be SNES, I'm not sure.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh yea not to mention on November 21st is the japan punch out nes anniversary. Or
Maybe this friday between the 29th the rumor of the 6 newcomer announcement you know wii fit trainer megaman villager little mac pac man and mii.

Because wii party u this friday tuesday the 29th that could be when he announces the other 3 newcomers of that rumors. (Oh for little mac usa anniversary of punch out nes and if its between the 25th and 29th the theory can be golden.)

But no hopes though (just explaining here just because to spread a theory i have)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Unfortunately a boxing ring is simply too generic a stage to point out any major defining features, so until the stage is given a name or Little Mac is confirmed I remain skeptical. It could very well be a generic boxing ring
Except none of the stages in Smash are generic except Final Destination and Battlefield. It probably isn't a generic boxing ring.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
It is extremely likely that it is a Punch-Out stage, however, we also got an Animal Crossing stage in Brawl. I'm still skeptical about Little Mac becoming playable, he's hardly a "shoe-in" hell, weren't there a handful of "shoe-ins" for Brawl that didn't make it? I'm quite sure he could be playable, there's no question about that. I hardly believe he's likely, however, for anything other than returning as an assist trophy. The boxing ring will likely be Smashville 2.0.

Yeah I don't think Little Mac is a "shoo-in" just because this is a Punch-Out stage. That said, he is incredibly likely (perhaps the most likely newcomer).

Smashville shows that stages can exist without playable representation. Hanenbow and Pictochat aren't really examples to support this point because there are no possible representatives for them really.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
While in my own opinion I think Little Mac is a lame addition to the roster and I'd rather see so many different choices over him, I can admit he's relevant and popular enough to make it in, even if I don't get the appeal of a normal boxer in a game where we can have much more interesting characters who do more than a variety of punches.

The stage argument is kind of stupid on both sides. That ring could be a Punch Out stage easily, or it can be a generic boxing ring in a FIGHTING game. And Arena Ferox being revealed is a totally different case, as we've had 2 Fire Emblem characters in both Melee and Brawl...its no suprise the Fire Emblem series gets a new stage when a new game came out, derp.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I will put the idea here, but take it more as a laughing matter, how about is not only this stage represents Little Mac but it represents another series too, if I tell you there is another series that has boxing and a similar gamestyle as Punch Out!! but instead of human boxers they use robots instead, I´m saying maybe Harry from Teleroboxer could be the representative of the stage too, so we will have Little Mac and Harry as a combo with the boxing ring as a main stage for the two. It would be pretty interesting but certainly Teleroboxer is a obscure game from the Virtual Boy so is a long very long shot.
.n_n.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I need to admit I'm getting highly aggravated at everyone saying that there are no defining features in the Smash stage. The Smash logo with 3 Stars is absolutely Punch-Out based, in that it is a logo with 3 stars -- as in a Punch-Out circuit.
Whether it's just a reference, or the whole stage is Punch-Out, I can't say, but there is clearly at least one feature that is definitely Punch-Out.
I feel I should also clarify that I am not a fan of Punch-Out, I've never played a Punch-Out game and the most experience I've had with Punch-Out was in Abobo's Big Adventure, and that part was a pain in the ***. I am minimally biased towards wanting or not wanting a Punch-Out stage, but the similarities are there.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I need to admit I'm getting highly aggravated at everyone saying that there are no defining features in the Smash stage. The Smash logo with 3 Stars is absolutely Punch-Out based, in that it is a logo with 3 stars -- as in a Punch-Out circuit.
Whether it's just a reference, or the whole stage is Punch-Out, I can't say, but there is clearly at least one feature that is definitely Punch-Out.
I feel I should also clarify that I am not a fan of Punch-Out, I've never played a Punch-Out game and the most experience I've had with Punch-Out was in Abobo's Big Adventure, and that part was a pain in the ***. I am minimally biased towards wanting or not wanting a Punch-Out stage, but the similarities are there.
Nope. No defining features. Just a plain ole boxing stage. Maybe a Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots stage. That sounds logical.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am pretty sure the stage is Punch-Out!!, not Wii Sports or Teleroboxer. Wii Sports would have the Wii logo on the boxing ring mat. Teleroboxer would make the whole stage appear red and black.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Come on, the Logo-with-3-Stars thing is not that common.
I actually fully support the Punch-Out!! stage theory. There are too many indications that relate to it being a Punch-Out!! stage. That doesn't necessarily mean we will get Little Mac, but I'm hoping we do!

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I actually fully support the Punch-Out!! stage theory. There are too many indications that relate to it being a Punch-Out!! stage. That doesn't necessarily mean we will get Little Mac, but I'm hoping we do!
Err...
I made no argument for Little Mac, I just pointed out that one, actually defining, similarity. Could you explain your Rock-em Sock-em post then? Was that sarcasm?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm sorry, but this is obviously a Punch Out stage, and Little Mac will obviously make it in.
This is a stupid thread. There is no true evidence, just some guy saying, "Hey, Punch Out won't get a character because the stage was announced BEFORE HIS REVEAL."
Well, I guess no Ridley, because he got Pyrosphere before his reveal.
And no Miis, because guess what, Pilotwings stage before reveal.
This makes no sense. Speaking of, there is someone who PROVES this is a Punch Out stage in the Mac support thread.
Little Mac is probably THE most likely newcomer, and everyone except the creator of this thread has him on their rosters, am I right?
I'm just saying.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The chance that it isn't a Punch-Out!! stage is extremely slim. We haven't had any generic stages aside from Final Destination and Battlefield so far. It seems to be pretty simple stage, so it should at least belong to a series other than Smash, instead of having 3 simple, generic Smash Bros. original stages. (and I heavily doubt it's a replacement for Final Destination)

If you ask me, it makes no sense for Nintendo to create a generic boxing ring stage for Smash while disregarding Punch-Out! a popular boxing video game franchise they own and created.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Err...
I made no argument for Little Mac, I just pointed out that one, actually defining, similarity. Could you explain your Rock-em Sock-em post then? Was that sarcasm?
I never said you made an argument for Little Mac. I added to the existing conversation. And yes, sarcasm it was.

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
How do you even begin to think this is what he was getting at

He was saying that "Smashviille doesn't count because Villager was planned for Brawl" is a bull**** argument because there are other characterless stages that obviously weren't going to have playable representation
...you also missed the point. I was being as equally facetious as he was.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Just going to come out of nowhere with this one: there will be no Punch Out! characters in SSB4, and on top of that, the new boxing ring stage is not a Punch Out! stage - assuming that it being a Punch Out! stage means a Punch Out! character will be in the game; now here's why.
Brawl's first ever trailer showcased a Fire Emblem Stage (Castle Siege) and Ike took more than one year before Brawl's reveal for being announced.

PreacherDudeRox

Smash Journeyman
I'm not all that active on these boards, so I apologize for not being to address most of these posts.

I just don't know how I can address all of these posts, since many people refuted my claim.

Favorite things I've seen from skimming back:
-Users debating about the whole stage ownership ("Rob never had a stage," "Yeah, but he was assigned one from his era")
-The Smashville to Smash Circuit claim; decent enough I don't see how that would be a bad idea, especially when considering what one user said about Smash logos on the screen in that MKDS stage
-The Punch Out! stage but no Punch Out! character claim; I actually made it clear that I have no argument against that
-Lastly, the stage just being a Wii Boxing stage; hilarious, but I wouldn't mind haha

Also, some people have said my argument/logic is that of a person who simply hates Punch Out! and wants to create claims against it being in the game, with the dislike of the series being a reason...

I have no reason to hate Punch Out!, I don't hate it at all. I haven't really played it (past a demo), so that's not it guys. I'm not even like many of you, who are hoping for certain characters to be in the game (I see ya'll, with your rosters in your signatures); I'm not bitter over a character I want in not being likely or anything. Only character I ever hoped for was MegaMan, and now he's in - so I have no reason to be raining on people's roster parade. I simply just don't believe there will be a Punch Out! character in SSB4.

Remember, I'm not saying there should be no Punch Out!, I'm saying I think there won't be. It's just an opinion, and I have my reasons.

I just have to revise them, you guys have done a great job at refuting and supporting.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Just wanted to point out that I don't think "Brawl's Smashville proved you can have a character with no stage" has any bearing on Little Mac. The reason there was no Animal Crossing character in Brawl was that Sakurai wasn't sure how to make an AC character a viable fighter, since it's a completely pacifistic game. Punch-Out doesn't have that problem. Punch-Out is a game about a dude who punches and gets punched by other dudes. If that boxing ring is indeed a Punch-Out stage, and Mac isn't playable, it would be like if Nintendo made a "Super Racing Brothers" game that included Big Blue as a course, but not Captain Falcon as a character.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Its definitely a Punch-Out stage hands down. Still skeptical whether or not its champion will take part in Smash 4. If Little Mac does get in I would love to see him and Falcon duke it out in the ring.

Lol Im wondering if you could jump off the ropes.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I think it's without a doubt a Punch-Out!! stage. It's certainly not King Dedede's ring from Super Star.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's not a Kirby stage. If it were the Kirby ring, it would have Waddle Dees, not people.

Also, it's a Punch-Out!! stage.

However, it was a "shared stage' and was also a Pro Wrestling (NES) stage, and we got a character for both, now that would be smart.

Xman321

Smash Apprentice
It's not a punch out stage, It is OBVIOUSLY a WWE Wrestling ring, and John Cena is gonna be a newcomers:awesome:

Xman321

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind seeing a match between Ganondorf and The Big Show.
I am going to make ganondorf in WWE2K14 once I get it now, thank you chicken, despite hay the only chicken I like eating are Chicken Nuggets:joyful:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom