• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No TO love for sm4sh?

Aygent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ayygent
3DS FC
4570-7961-7152
So where I hail from, the game that has been at numerous events is Project M. Whenever someone on this said page of the local community talks about sm4sh, they are shunned. Ignored. But when someone is telling a sm4sh player to "get good" at another game(melee, PM) and organizers support that statement, does this area even have a community? Or is it a closed doors society of only one or two games? Thoughts, comments, and any sort of non bashing suggestions are much appreciated.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
I'm not sure I understand what your point or objection is. Is the problem that the people who organize PM tournaments in your area don't run Smash 4 events too?

At the end of the day, no TO is under any obligation to run any game except for the ones they want to run. If they're PM players who like PM and are interested in running PM tournaments, it stands to reason that that's where their interest and efforts will be focused. Sure, plenty of TOs are willing to organize events for other games. But not all of them are. Running a whole new bracket or set of brackets incurs a whole new set of logistic and organizational demands that they might not be interested in taking upon themselves.

If you want there to be Smash 4 tournaments in your area, they should be run by the people who are interested in Smash 4 tournaments. Perhaps that person is you.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I'm not sure I understand what your point or objection is. Is the problem that the people who organize PM tournaments in your area don't run Smash 4 events too?
I agree that the question being asked is somewhat vague. I think you might have got it though haha.

Basically, there has been a pretty rough post-Melee divide between Smashers. Because Melee is quite technical and perceived to be harder, along with PM, both games can be seen as more fun because with more techniques you have more to do, the game is more difficult to master, and seems less simple. That's not to say Smash 4 isn't complex, but because of some similarities it has to Brawl (which again, isn't exactly simple, but has less options, and more of a hit-and-run playstyle which people find less interesting it's taken less seriously, which while unfair and bias gives the TOs the freedom of choice in what they are willing to run. It's also a little bit of a popularity contest--it seems like Melee and PM are being played more in your (The OP's) area, and so obviously more people will play and TO it.

To get people interested in Smash 4, see if anyone is interested in it by interacting with them physically at tournaments, and gauge their responses in regards to participation of a hypothetical Smash 4 tournament. You can also find people outside of the group mentioned, with Smashboards being a lovely way to do so. By getting more people interested and involved in your group, you can create demand for a Smash 4 scene, which can make a tournament more likely.

@ F Fenrir says it best with the statement "If you want there to be Smash 4 tournaments in your area, they should be run by the people who are interested in Smash 4 tournaments. Perhaps that person is you," an entirely true and plausible statement. Because it seems like your community is barely burgeoning with a Smash 4 community, you should try to make strides like the ones mentioned in both our posts, as well as other things like perhaps finding a different venue, finding ways to get people interested in this game, and other things you can think of. Once again, the boards can serve as an excellent sounding board for this (which clearly you know haha).

In either case, best of luck trying to build a scene, ignore the haters

Aygent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ayygent
3DS FC
4570-7961-7152
Much thanks, guys. Trying to get both melee players and sm4sh players exposure around here. What "rustled my jimmies" so to say is that people here seem to frown upon sm4sh being a viable game when the first stand alone event for sm4sh in my area drew 51 players with around 15 spectators. This was the biggest event the area has had in ages for any smash, and I feel like the sky is the limit at this point. And my apologies for my vagueness. Haha

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
You are right in that regard. The sky's the limit for your scene. So don't worry about what people who don't play your game say about it. If we cared what casuals say about competitive smash as a whole we wouldn't have got anywhere with any game.

Top Bottom