• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Tripping Code is out! (Updated! Trip rate change code is out!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
So what happens when you play online, do you never trip? That makes the game unfair to the other player, who doesn't have a hacking device.
Basically, these are cheat codes, and cheaters suck cause they cannot complete a task without whining and having to have some data change get them around the task that they are to pathetic to accomplish.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So what happens when you play online, do you never trip? That makes the game unfair to the other player, who doesn't have a hacking device.
Basically, these are cheat codes, and cheaters suck cause they cannot complete a task without whining and having to have some data change get them around the task that they are to pathetic to accomplish.
Actually, I believe that online, the person hacking would never see anyone trip. However, everyone else playing would see people trip, meaning the outcome of the match would be very different for players hacking vs. those not hacking.

Basically, this is a hack. It removes a stupid feature. We're not too pathetic to get around tripping, but it's an annoying feature that I've hated since I heard about it months before release, and a feature that should've been togglable. Instead, Sakurai wanted to make it a party game and is forcing us to play the way he wants us to. You want the same thing to happen.

We'd be cheating if we were giving ourselves more lives than other players, making ourselves invincible, never getting any %, infinite jumps, etc.

By the way...if everyone's so of the opinion that tripping is a stupid feature but it doesn't affect gameplay, then uh, isn't saying that having it off is cheating contradicting that? If it's so useless and doesn't affect gameplay, and we're idiots for wanting it off, then why does it matter?

BEES

Smash Lord
No. You do not hack games to play them in tournaments. Does Brawl need to be hacked in order to be Competitively viable? Well, then, maybe we shouldn't play Brawl at all.

What's that? It doesn't need to be hacked? Then why do it? After all, I some people hate DeDeDe's infinites. Let's hack those out! Next, let's hack Final Destination's edges. Then let's remove all chaingrabs. Then make Sheik's F-tilt have more knockback. Then let's give the game more hitstun and blockstun and then...
It's hard to take you seriously when you want competitive Brawl to disband anyway. Anything that could possibly be a boon to the competitive scene and be easily standardized, such as this, would work against that.

This is the only mod that many people could agree on, and it's a very minor one. All the other possible changes would never be accepted for tournament play. We're safe from ever seeing your slippery slope hypothesis. The game is competitive with tripping, but this would simply make it MORE competitive.

And people do hack games to play them in tournaments. Lots of PC games have that. It is honorable goal, sticking to the developers' intentions. But sometimes developers abandon a game. Sometimes they don't have the best intentions for the game. They're just people, so don't put them on a pedestal.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
A bad idea? Perhaps. But can't you just accept the wishes of the creators? If it's in the game, there must be some kind of ultimate reasoning behind it, as it would have to pass at least a few people to get by in the final product. We are not the makers, we are not higher-ups, we are consumers. To tamper with what they intended seems like a crime. Why do you think it's so hard to do? It should be left alone, and kept secluded to a minute group, never to be used on an even remotely large scale.

Looking back on that paragraph, it can be easily related to some crazed religious fanatic :laugh:
It's too bad people want a competitive game, right? There is no reason to have random tripping in a competitive game.

Too bad this won't help Brawl's case enough. Have fun playing it I guess.

Yuna, those effects happen because of how the character's were built and playing style. Tripping is absolutely random therefore it is not caused by how you use something but rather just playing the game.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Tripping is NOT gamebreaking. To hack it out of the game is seriously unnecesary. For one, its true no one likes tripping, but no (but snake mains) like snake's ftilt. Should that next be removed or nerfed to a normal move standard by hackers. An even better example: most people wish that we could fall faster in brawl. Do we hack the game to change the falling speed of all characters or start playing heavy brawl? No, because you just have to learn with how to deal with these things or we'll be altering the game trying to make a hacked "pro" version. Secondly, who knows what tripping could lead to in the future. There may be an AT yet to be discovered that abuses the invincibility you get when getting up, but it needs tripping in to work. We'll never find said AT if everyone suddenly stops tripping.

What I'm saying is deal with the game the way it is or go play melee.

Edit: tripping into ike fsmash is possible. You might have intended on shielding to cancel your dash, but tripped or you have a dash attack faster than his fsmash to punish Ike with, but tripped. Or you were dashdancing just out of range of his fsmash and trip into it (really shouldn't be doing this on...) or you were going to counter while dashing, but you tripped, etc. etc.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
Tripping is NOT gamebreaking. To hack it out of the game is seriously unnecesary. For one, its true no one likes tripping, but no (but snake mains) like snake's ftilt. Should that next be removed or nerfed to a normal move standard by hackers. An even better example: most people wish that we could fall faster in brawl. Do we hack the game to change the falling speed of all characters or start playing heavy brawl? No, because you just have to learn with how to deal with these things or we'll be altering the game trying to make a hacked "pro" version. Secondly, who knows what tripping could lead to in the future. There may be an AT yet to be discovered that abuses the invincibility you get when getting up, but it needs tripping in to work. We'll never find said AT if everyone suddenly stops tripping.

Tripping is anti-competitive and actively effects many matches. You aren't comparing two similar things. This is a general system flaw, there is no debating about other character's properties. You also don't get that it doesn't matter what tripping may add in the future if it is random.

BEES

Smash Lord
For the Nth time, no. No one wants changes that would affect the balance of the game. Changing tripping does not change the game balance in any way. It removes an unnecessary random element that only serves to annoy people.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Rage sets in 3... 2... 1...

I ****ing hate you all, or at least most of you. This thread is not about you if you don't participate in tournaments. If you are in the tournament scene you would have already played without items, non-lethal stages and other things that can compromise any fair game. If you are in the tournament scene you would want to eliminate every possible random factor as much as possible on which a failure can be to blame.

You are most probably not even IN the ****ing tournament scene, so why the **** bother posting here?

If the tourney goers want to get rid of the ****ing trip, let them get rid of the ****ing trip. I'm not going to ****ing enable this code. You know why? BECAUSE I AM NO ****ING TOURNAMENT GOER. I ****ing have my own choice in what I do, what I use.

If you let yourself get lead by tournament rules, it's not the tourney goers who are the ***s, it's YOU.

This message was brought to you by MultiverseWorks.com. We don't need no stupid slogan.

By the way, you're a real *** if you haven't got Twilight Princess on the Wii. Just kidding.

BEES

Smash Lord
No, the physics will probably conform to whoever is hosting the match. If the host has tripping, everyone should trip. If the host has no tripping, no one should trip.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Wonderful find, can't use it because I don't have an SD card, but unfortunately I don't ever see this becoming tourney-standard. :x

Good work though.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
For the Nth time, no. No one wants changes that would affect the balance of the game. Changing tripping does not change the game balance in any way. It removes an unnecessary random element that only serves to annoy people.
Absolutely.

Roihu

Smash Ace
I've heard that people are usually very careful because of tripping. Get rid of that and people go all out.
It's a different style of play. I don't know whether it would help or hurt tourneygoers, but they will have to adapt to the tripping styles of big tournaments, because while small tournaments may use this cheat, I'm pretty sure big tournaments probably won't.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
I happen to host tournaments and even i would not dare want to go into it. just the fact that i now have to check every wii for this mod is hassle enough. I dont mind it being used for fun, but i cant ever see this being used in a tournament scene. every wii would have to have this 73$ mod. finding enough of those would be hard. and can anyone say slippery slope? if one things gets hacked out, everything will.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I do play Melee, much more than I play Brawl. But for the times when I do play Brawl, be it with friends or on a random impulse once every blue moon, I don't want tripping.

Honestly, I will never understand why so many people are getting so anal about random strangers on a forum doing something that will never affect them. Get over it, we're going to do it whether or not you tell us to.

You also don't get that it doesn't matter what tripping may add in the future if it is random.
Exactly. Instead of tripping being a random disadvantage, it'd become a random advantage. Which is exactly why items aren't used in competitive play. So if you want to discover an AT with tripping, by all means, do so, but it won't be competitive.

Finally, BEES is right. This isn't about the balance of the game, it's about a stupid, pointless, annoying feature that serves no purpose, will never serve any purpose (you can dream on that tripping will have an AT related to it), so people want to get rid of it. Is that so hard to comprehend?

Roihu

Smash Ace
I happen to host tournaments and even i would not dare want to go into it. just the fact that i now have to check every wii for this mod is hassle enough. I dont mind it being used for fun, but i cant ever see this being used in a tournament scene. every wii would have to have this 73$ mod. finding enough of those would be hard. and can anyone say slippery slope? if one things gets hacked out, everything will.
Isn't there a program called USBGecko or something that doesn't show the homebrew channel?
Just out of curiosity, how do you check those?
(Don't know much about the Gecko, so wouldn't know if you actually need something big or small or something hidden)

@ FirustheHedgehog:
Tripping is stupid, pointless, and annoying. That's exactly what it was meant to be.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
@ FirustheHedgehog:
Tripping is stupid, pointless, and annoying. That's exactly what it was meant to be.
Yeah. Thank you, Sakurai.

If you already own TP, it's not really that much at all.
SD Cards are pretty cheap, as are SD Card readers. Hell, I didn't even have to go anywhere to get this stuff, much less spend any money. I already have TP, multiple SD Cards (for my camera and my Wii, either kind works), and an SD Card reader. That's all you need. The rest you simply download off the internet free of charge.

And you can't live your life by slippery slopes. If everyone lived by slippery slopes, where do you think we'd be now? You can't assume anything.

Besides, the no-trip hack is already created. Not using it isn't going to stop the creators from doing more codes. You can't tell everyone who enjoys hacking games they can't do it to Brawl because everything will get hacked.

Not to mention that tripping is an entirely different ball game. Tripping is annoying and useless, it doesn't help or hurt any character in particular, it just hurts everyone. Adding hitstun, falling faster, fixing airdodges, etc. could potentially make or break characters, so that's going to be much more debatable.

STOP USING SLIPPERY SLOPES AS AN EXCUSE. They aren't a reason to not do something, because it's purely hypothetical. You know what else could happen if I hack to remove tripping? The world could implode for some unexplainable reason. Live doing nothing that could be potentially risky if you want to, I personally like to take chances. Otherwise you're not going to get anywhere.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Why do people think removing tripping is the same as buffing/nerfing characters or altering stages? It really isn't.

But anyway, it's the TOs choice whether to allow this hack. No1 is saying "M4k3 411 T0urn3m3nts Tr1ppin9-Fr33 N40"!!

Kirbykrew

Smash Journeyman
here are my 2 cents on this matter:

1. When you have tripped, you an get back up pretty quick and have 3 ways to get up too! Roll left or right, or get up with the "Get Up Attack"! Also, you have invincibility frames while the tripping animation goes on.

2. It seems that you guys have BAAAAAAAW'd enough to get Tripping hacked out, same way you guys ban all other things with a random factor *coughItemscough*. One thing leads to the next: Soon, everything will be balanced perfectly, and perfection is boring. It needs it's ups and downs, it's flaws, that's what makes things great. Brawl is it's own game, so leave it be. If you don't like it, go play Melee or 64. I for one love Brawl, and I am going to stick with it for a long time.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
DDD's gordo is random, annoying, doesn't require skill, and if he lost it, it wouldn't hurt his balance in anyway. If anything he'll still be overpowered.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
@slippery slope argument: It's not a slippery slope into bad hacks until we start doing little things that a.) put specific players at a disadvantage or b.) some people think improves the game, others believe to hurt the game.

I would like to meet any guy who has won a big tournament and really believes that tripping is good for brawl. No one thinks it. It's possible we can find a guy who won a big tournament and feels iffy about making a hack tourney-standard, yes, but you will NOT find a big tournament winner who thinks tripping is good for brawl.

Tripping doesn't create specific disadvantages because it doens't happen very much at all. When it does happen, it sucks majorly, but no one consciously alters their strategy to account for tripping. We unconsciously do, and are slightly less likely to select a dash approach instead of a SH approach, but even that is very very small, and is unlikely to put any players at a significant disadvantage.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Double post john (if this is double post): a response was written while i was typing.

If you think items should be in the game, you aren't really that competitive, and are working from a different mindset from everyone else. May the best man win. 9 times out of 9. 137 times out of 137. Tripping threatens that.

This wouldn't eventually turn the game into a homogenous game of clones, because it's NOT a balance move. Furthermore, it's not even an available strategy.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

1. When you have tripped, you an get back up pretty quick and have 3 ways to get up too! Roll left or right, or get up with the "Get Up Attack"! Also, you have invincibility frames while the tripping animation goes on.

2. LEAVE BRAWL ALONE!
Imagine number two being spoken in a loud, nasally, and whiny voice.

That's all you hear from Brawl players nowadays and it's pretty **** annoying. We're ALLOWED to have our opinions on the game and we are allowed to do whatever the hell it is we feel like with the game be it natural or unnatural.

Edit: As for the hack itself: It's cool. I don't see it becoming a viable thing at tourneys, though.

Smooth Criminal

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

2. It seems that you guys have BAAAAAAAW'd enough to get Tripping hacked out, same way you guys ban all other things with a random factor *coughItemscough*. One thing leads to the next: Soon, everything will be balanced perfectly, and perfection is boring. It needs it's ups and downs, it's flaws, that's what makes things great. Brawl is it's own game, so leave it be. If you don't like it, go play Melee or 64. I for one love Brawl, and I am going to stick with it for a long time.
1. Yay! But in the meantime, when you fall on the ground, someone can Smash the hell out of you. Thus, it doesn't matter that you have options.

2A. If you think that taking out items from tourneys is stupid, you shouldn't be discussing the competitive community. Seriously.

If you want randomness, chance, etc., go play Mario Party.

2B. Fine, you love Brawl the way it is, right? And you don't want us telling you that you have to hack, right? Well we don't want people like you telling us we're not allowed to hack. It goes both ways, I don't know why the ones in favor of hacking are the only ones not allowed to play how they want to.

That's all you hear from Brawl players nowadays and it's pretty **** annoying. We're ALLOWED to have our opinions on the game and we are allowed to do whatever the hell it is we feel like with the game be it natural or unnatural.l
This post is full of truth and win. *Applauds*

Kirbykrew

Smash Journeyman

That's all you hear from Brawl players nowadays and it's pretty **** annoying. We're ALLOWED to have our opinions on the game and we are allowed to do whatever the hell it is we feel like with the game be it natural or unnatural.

Edit: As for the hack itself: It's cool. I don't see it becoming a viable thing at tourneys, though.

Smooth Criminal
Thank you, you have treated my argument on you people making the game balanced by removing things that Sora Ltd. have taken their time to program like I'm just moaning about messing with Brawl without any logical input whatsoever.

I know that you guys want a game that you can play competitively, and I support that. But come on, modifying the code so it can be your way? Like I have said in the last part of my second argument you probably didn't even read, One change will lead to the next untill the game becomes bland as can be. That was my input, not some Chris Crocker Shit.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord

Smooth Criminal
I don't see the hack entering tournaments, and any tournaments that use this, their results should be ignored when compiling data for things like the official Brawl tier list.
If one hack is permits, why not just allow us to remove other things like ending lag on Ikes side-B(no, sorry Ike noobs, you'll have to walk forever), giving Ganon a sword(although a purely cosmetic sword would be nice), or making certain characters stronger than they originally were.
Some hacks are harmless, such as changing skin colors to make Mr.L or the Lucario boards mascot, or even Captain Rainbow, or giving Ganon a sword.
Things having to do with a hacked game should do nothing to influence any decisions for say the tier list of Brawl.

I don't care if you have a tripless tournament, but only the unmodified games results should be considered as anything official.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I know that you guys want a game that you can play competitively, and I support that. But come on, modifying the code so it can be your way? Like I have said in the last part of my second argument you probably didn't even read, One change will lead to the next untill the game becomes bland as can be. That was my input, not some Chris Crocker Shit.
How could he declare that it was just BAWWing about us not liking Brawl if he didn't read it?
And speaking of people not reading, I believe I addressed this ridiculous slippery slope argument. It's not viable unless you have undeniable proof that this will happen.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Budget Bin at most. Twilight Princess doesn't cost that much, and an SD card really shouldn't be all that expensive.

YES, THOSE ARE THE ONLY THINGS ONE NEED.

You don't need to mod your console, you don't need a ****ing USB Gecko, you only need Twilight Princess, the Twilight Hack (which is free), the Homebrew Channel (which is free), an SD card (which at most should cost you $10, but even then you're being ripped off) and Ocarina.

So, Twilight Princess, if you haven't already, should be budget bin. If not, you could just rent it, you only need it once anyway.

I'm not saying it SHOULD be added, I'm just saying playing the "too expensive" card is stupid.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thank you, you have treated my argument on you people making the game balanced by removing things that Sora Ltd. have taken their time to program like I'm just moaning about messing with Brawl without any logical input whatsoever.

Why don't you understand that this is NOT about balance? Tripping was added into Brawl not to add to the game, but to take from it. All it is is a completely random factor which can sometimes have no effect on a match, and sometimes drastically alter it. It does sound like something else the competitive scene has banned, items, doesn't it?

And no, one change will NOT lead to another for the 100th time... We aren't talking about changing characters or affecting anything that could break the game, we are talking about removing something that is completely random across all characters, and by removing it we are merely taking away the idea of being punished for MOVING.

Now, while I can't see this being tourney standard, this does give me reason to finally get around to installing HBC and Ocarina, because it will be nice not to have to constantly worry about being punished by the game for wanting to change where my character is on the screen

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
To those of you who think that the No Tripping Code is lame-- why are you even posting in here? If you're not interested in something, the normal thing to do is to pass it by without a second glance. Not stop, and scold those that are actually interested.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I'm not saying it SHOULD be added, I'm just saying playing the "too expensive" card is stupid.
There are alot of people who won't get this, and why should they be expected every person who buys the game, or even only those who come here and register, to be required to buy themselves equipment, download hacks onto their Wii and play dishonestly?

By the way, check out how bad things could become!

The following is a video, featuring Mr. Astley, see for yourself!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Well, playing devil's advocate here, maybe they are concerned it will become a standard and they want to fight it where they can.

Of course, those who drop in and say "this will never be standard" are completely wasting their time. Why not let us all figure it out? It took about a month for Heavy Brawl to "go out of fashion", and i don't see any positive effect "this will never be standard" had. Unless you add a reason. Those without reasons are borderline spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom