• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'No, You guys suck.' - Falcon. A guide how to effectively play falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
Falcon sucks in brawl. He does. Bottom of bottom, for a reason.
He's not underrated. at all. But if you insist on playing him,
Here's how to get the best out of him:

jab.
Jab is lord, ruler of all, center of falcons metage.
If you dont know how to jab, you dont know how to falcon. its that simple.
Jab is fast and combo's into grab, wich can get you into an advantegous position against alot of characters.
Use it.

Its reach isnt optimal, and when spaced perfectly, cannot combo into a grab.
You''ll have to be close. Wich you will be.

falcons jab game is essential. Learn to jab cancel, crouch cancel, punish DI, and follow up effectively. Its that easy.
This move = falcons close combat.

Ftilt.
Space with this. Or use it as a gtfo move.
It has quite some reach, so can be used for spacing very nicely.
Quite fast, so, use it.

Dtilt.
Space with this, too. Or to get the opponent into the air at higher percentages.
Use this to punish upward(+away) DI from the opponent when you jab them.

This move can also psuedo lock some (fastfalling) characters.
One of the faster moves. use it.

Utilt.
Utilt = hot.
Utilt can be used to shut down approaches, and the first hitbox = great for punishing aerial approches and opponents on a platform above you.
good for edgeguarding.
USE IT.
This move is very versatile, and it does has some lag, but for falcons game, its fast, especially for the killing power it possesses.
Keep it fresh for killing, or use it to rack up damage.
Either way. Use it.

Fsmash.
Slow.
But good for punishing (aerial) approaches. A KO move with good reach when stutterstepped/used in the form of a salmon smash.
Its nice, does nice damage and can ko and can punish DI.
But all uses cannot be relied on.
So use it, but with caution.
you will get punished for it if you just ditch one out.
Space perfectly, or use this only for punishing.

Dsmash.
Can punish rolls. yes it can.
It can also KO. yes it can.
But when you miss the first kick, you are screwed. Yes you are.

So use for punishing (rolls).
or turnaround+Dsmash/charge a Dsmash to punish spotdodges when you predict one.
Unreliable, use with caution.

Usmash.
Falcons hyphen smash is like this board. it goes too far.
Seriously, you'll find yourself sliding across the stage like john travolta on saturday night fever.
So use this in your advantage to punish from afar.
or dash dance before you execute it to shorten the distance. yessir.

This smash does good damage, so use this to rack up damage. A star KO is rare anyway.
But if you insist on keeping it fresh for KOing, you can.
Either way, use with caution. You'll be punished when you don't.

Falcon punch.
lol.
Not worht the risk most of the time.
yes, sometimes it works. in friendlies. nah, but this move is very risky, and that *gasp* the chance exists your opponent WONT fall for your mindgamed 180/360/540/no twist falcon punch, its just too risky as this move is so easily punished its not even funny.
But on the other hand, when it hits its tha epiczorz and can net you a early KO.
But it wont.
If you insist on using it, use it to punish jiggly's rest. Its guaranteed.
Or mix it into your game with mindgames that can mindgame our holy lord.
Use it with ALOT of caution. Or just dont use it.

Falcon kick.
Dont ever use it at lower percents. Its a free aerial for your opponent when it hits, and free attack when it misses = bad.
If you use it, use it at higher percents so it either KO the opponent (very high percent) or get them airborn (more logical use than the first use mentioned).
It can punish from afar, so can be used to do so, but its very risky.
Use with caution, or refrain from using.
Better options are often present.

Raptor boost.
Very punishable when it misses, but you wont, as you should use it to punish. Or when you predict rolls. (wich is unreliable though, but it does work.).
So use to punish (rolls).
It gets the opponent airbourne wich is nice.
Use with caution. Or dont use.

Falcon dive.
Can be mixed into your jab game for surprise attacks, but still unreliable.
It can be used for punishing and intercepting certain aerials due to its 'teleporting' effect.
It does very good damage, so use it to rack up damage.
Use it for punishing. It does very good damage.

Throws.
Dthrow/Uthrow at lower percents for possible follow ups by getting the opponent airbourne. (punish airdodges)

Bthrow at higher percents to get the opponent offstage.

Fthrow at lower percents for follow ups/psuedo changrabs, and at higher percents to get the opponent offstage.

Abuse grabreleases on characters it has use on (grab release CG on squirtle, grab release **** on wario (when you get a hold of him) etc.

Dash attack.
Easily shieldgrabbed, but still versatile.
Great for getting the opponent airbourne, but it is still a awful move.
It is easily punished, but can punish very well itself too, due to its versatility and quickness.
Use it for punishing.

Nair.
First hit Nair combo's into jabs. yay.
First hit Nair has more situational combo's but we cant really rely on those. shame.
SH FF FHN (First Hit Nair - yes I just made that up) can be used to punish approaches or as an approach itself. though a risky approach, but falcon doesnt have a non-risky approach. Ah well.
It has quite some reach so good for spacing.
The Second hit of the Nair has decent knockback. So the can be used as a gtfo move/approach/send the opponent flying for possible follow ups.
Use it.

Fair.
This aint melee.
Flubbed fair can combo into jabs. even when the opponent doesnt trip. yay approach potential.
Sweet Fair can KO nicely but is hard to land.
Use this as your number one punish move. when there are enough frames to punish (you'll know) SH (FF) sweet knee BAM. damage+knockback. yay.
but seriously, this aint melee.
The landing lag is very punishable.
Use it to punish airdodges.
One can SH/Full hop to lure out reactions to punish with this, but it aint reliable. Just putting it out there.
Use this for punishing when sweetspotted, and as a mixup in your approach game when flubbed.
either way. use with caution.

Uair.
Uair = hot.
Use it to punish airdodges.
use it to poke opponents on platforms. It autocancels. yay.
Uair can be used as an approach. One can also reverse it to turn it into a decent approach (not a nessiscity).
Uair is a quite quick move, with decent damage and knockback. One of falcons best moves.
Use it.

Dair.
Dair can be used for punishing nicely.
Nice damage, and it can even combo. Though unreliable.
SH Dair can be used as an approach, not even the move itself, but SH Dair>jab punish the opponent.
Risky yes. effective, surprisingly, yes.
Risky, use with caution. But use it.

Bair
Autocancels. YESZ!.
It can KO, and is quite a fast move. and, again, it auto cancels.
It does quite good damage when sweetspotted, and it can be used as an approach.
Good for punishing, too.
Either keep it fresh for KOing, or use this move to rack up damage.
Either way, use it. Its one of falcons better moves.

Jumping backwards.
Standard mindgame.
Can net you a Bair.
Again, standard mindgame.
Use it.

Falcon = bait+punish.
Mindgame+punish.
Patience.
That is brawl falcon.
Brawl falcon is waiting for an opponening, and attacking when the time is right (while dodging projectiles, if any).
Brawl falcon is the worst playable character in brawl.
If you want to place in high level tournies, you'll need the higher/top tier characters with a better move set.
Its that simple.

But if you still insist on playing falcon, I only salute you, and welcome you, and show my respect.
This quide is here to help.
And I know, I to, am playing the worst character in this game. But I accepted it.
Something you have to do to, before you can be a good falcon.
Know your strenghts AND your weaknesses.
And you'll be studying your weaknesses far longer than your strenghts as a falcon main. So, welcome to the club.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Good guide lol.

Fair is a powerful edgeguard. If the opponent is looking to sweetspot the ledge from below, runoffstage>fair. Most of the time it'll sweetspot. And if not the flubbed fair can push them away so they don't recover at all.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I like this, because this isn't just another beginners guide, percentages, frame data, but it tells you how and when to use it.
Not sticky worthy, because we already have a thread sort of like this by Knee (IIRC, I cba looking/reading it), but still a good reminder of how Falcon actually works.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
He was kidding (I hope).

using jumps as a mindgame is common knowledge. No need to implement that in a guide.

I'll add Bair 2morrow though.:)
Backflipping is actually probably worth mentioning, because it looks sort of like UAir (which can throw the opponent off), and, more importantly, makes you a lot harder to hit from the ground than a regular short hop.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Falcon actually is a tad underated...me and Rohins talked about this not too long ago. Haha.

I like this thread though :D!

Also, I want everyone to try this (once...just once) with falcon punch in a match:

at like...30 percent or so, if you're opponent is above you, and you land an Up B......use falcon punch on the way down; opponents tend to almost always DI towards you after an Up B for some reason

Just try it once.
Tell me what happens.

I'm curious, because you'd be surprised how often I get it to land (again, only one time during a match. Hell, maybe only once during a set. lol).

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
Backflipping is actually probably worth mentioning, because it looks sort of like UAir (which can throw the opponent off), and, more importantly, makes you a lot harder to hit from the ground than a regular short hop.
Alright. I'll add it.

I feel like i've read all this before....hundreds and hundreds of times.. :|
Good.

Falcon actually is a tad underated...me and Rohins talked about this not too long ago. Haha.

I like this thread though :D!

Also, I want everyone to try this (once...just once) with falcon punch in a match:

at like...30 percent or so, if you're opponent is above you, and you land an Up B......use falcon punch on the way down; opponents tend to almost always DI towards you after an Up B for some reason

Just try it once.
Tell me what happens.

I'm curious, because you'd be surprised how often I get it to land (again, only one time during a match. Hell, maybe only once during a set. lol).

falcon isnt really underrated. as it stands now, he is dead last, and belongs there.
And the mindgame you mentioned can easily backfire, too:(
If they dont DI/react the way you predicted, they get a free attack in.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Just thought i would point out that the title is misnomered

should be a guide how to effectively lose in brawl

i mean
a guide how to effectively use falcons moves

this doesnt tell you how to play falcon, and no guide can/should.... falcon is such a versatile character there is no "right" and "wrong" playstyles, there are neat little shenanagins he can do and things, but its really up to you on how you want to play

Winnar

Smash Lord
Oh great, another catalogue of Falcon's moves.

I don't want to tell you that you've wasted your time, but...you just wasted a lot of time. This thread MIGHT have been useful a year ago. Maybe.

Also if you continue to insist that Falcon is trash then you do not truly know how to play as him.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
Oh great, another catalogue of Falcon's moves.

I don't want to tell you that you've wasted your time, but...you just wasted a lot of time. This thread MIGHT have been useful a year ago. Maybe.

Also if you continue to insist that Falcon is trash then you do not truly know how to play as him.
lol.
And still people dont understand.

And@you, get 0-deathed by IC's or snake/Meta ***** plz.

defending the worst character is stupid.

You say this was useful a year ago and you STILL dont accknowledge falcon beeing the worst..
*sigh*
Ah well.

Winnar

Smash Lord
lol.
And still people dont understand.

And@you, get 0-deathed by IC's or snake/Meta ***** plz.

defending the worst character is stupid.

You say this was useful a year ago and you STILL dont accknowledge falcon beeing the worst..
*sigh*
Ah well.
You reply to my post in what vaguely resembles an attempt to defend yourself yet you address NOTHING of what I said.

Let me make it easy for you by clearly listing my main points:

1) If you believe that Falcon is the worst character in Brawl and are not trying to remedy this then you do not belong on the Falcon boards.

2) This sort of thread is useless. ToKneeOrNotToKnee has posted a countless number of threads near-identical to this one. If his were ultimately deemed useless why do you think that yours is any better? Or rather, what is the difference between this thread and his threads?

3) Are you ToKneeOrNotToKnee?

4) Falcon is not the worst character in Brawl because there IS no "worst character in Brawl." There are best characters (MK, Snake, Falco, etc.) and there are the worst characters (Jiggs, Falcon, Ganondorf, etc.), but there is no ONE worst character in Brawl.

5) Are you even going to read this? Or will you just reply with "lol you don't understand it's a shame really" while throwing up the most poorly executed straw man arguments since TKONTK?

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
You reply to my post in what vaguely resembles an attempt to defend yourself yet you address NOTHING of what I said.

Let me make it easy for you by clearly listing my main points:

1) If you believe that Falcon is the worst character in Brawl and are not trying to remedy this then you do not belong on the Falcon boards.

2) This sort of thread is useless. ToKneeOrNotToKnee has posted a countless number of threads near-identical to this one. If his were ultimately deemed useless why do you think that yours is any better? Or rather, what is the difference between this thread and his threads?

3) Are you ToKneeOrNotToKnee?

4) Falcon is not the worst character in Brawl because there IS no "worst character in Brawl." There are best characters (MK, Snake, Falco, etc.) and there are the worst characters (Jiggs, Falcon, Ganondorf, etc.), but there is no ONE worst character in Brawl.

5) Are you even going to read this? Or will you just reply with "lol you don't understand it's a shame really" while throwing up the most poorly executed straw man arguments since TKONTK?
1) I just posted this thread..are you dumb?
2) Its not useless. The matchup thread with its wrong ratios is useless. No stickied guide is useless. This board is useless.
This thread>this board.
3)come again?
4) you might want to take a look at the tier list again.
Falcon is dead last, and if you dont understand why, YOU dont belong here.
5)straw man arguement? its more like..
Me: *makes this thread*
Winnar: He isz Talking badz about mah char. how dare he! Imma post *posts*

And I dont care about my name. Its this board that has to be cared about.
And u do nothing but critize. You aint accomplishing ****.

This thread is more useful than your entire swf carreer. Deal with it.

Also, 'lol you dont understand its a shame really.'

Player-3

Smash Hero
falcon isnt the worst.

just thought id put that out there
ganon should be bottom next tier list, with falcon above him

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
falcon isnt the worst.

just thought id put that out there
ganon should be bottom next tier list, with falcon above him
play good ganons. Falcon is NEVER going to rise above ganon.
Period.
Ganon has way more potential with only his side b.
Let alone the rest of his (superior) moveset.

Winnar

Smash Lord
5)straw man arguement? its more like..
Me: *makes this thread*
Winnar: He isz Talking badz about mah char. how dare he! Imma post *posts*
Do you even know what a strawman argument is?

Also congratulations, you've somehow managed to make me dislike you more than TKONTK. I at least kind of respect him.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
Do you even know what a strawman argument is?

Also congratulations, you've somehow managed to make me dislike you more than TKONTK. I at least kind of respect him.
And I care..because?
I'm not here to make friends.
And what does who you like less got to do with this thread?
Nothing.
And you talk down to me for not responding to your post..
Hypocrit.

So just accept that unfortunatly a thread like this is still needed in this doomed board.
That you guys still have the mentality of brawl n00b is none of my concern.

/Discussion.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Back flipping = my play style

From getting past projectiles -> B-air -> grab combos -> baiting side steps -> knee

Also, I think an important thing Falcon's need to learn is how many aerials of each type you can throw out before you can't recover off stage or you get lag or whatever. You can't U-air twice in a SH but if you try then you get lag from the incomplete 2nd one. I think you should also but some detail on how to space correctly because a move like N-air is slightly difficult to space correctly. Pivot grabs should also be in this guide, both types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom