• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noir's Advance Technique/Reseach and Discussion.

Circle_Breaker

Smash Journeyman
I like the RAR too. Catchy.

Anyways, can you still cancel the stopping-dash animation with a crouch cancel? I mean like how in Melee you could dash towards someone, crouch, and smash without having to wait for the stopping-dash animation.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
you should look up a topic i read called rise dashing. It actually sounds like a good mind game setup and can be easily doable with the new air-dodge system.

Starscream

Smash Ace
So you can turn around mid dash? I tried the JBT in Melee and I could only do it out of a dash dance. And is the momentum really that powerful in Brawl? The momentum of a JBT in Melee is tiny.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
I'm a moderator over at 1up, and someone in our community (the_puff_of_doom) came up with a great alternative name for "Jump back towards" I had to share:

Reverse aerial rush - or RAR

Take it or leave it OoNoiRoO. Everything's up to you, since you discovered it.
I'd say throw in an extra W, "Reverse Aerial Winning Rush", so we could have a nice RAWR going on :p

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
These look great. I was a casual player in melee, but I might end up learning the advanced techs in brawl, they look awesome. Hope you guys keep finding them, and good luck.

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
Just simply call it "Reverse/Inverse Bair/Aerial". Everything else just looks corny and contrived, considering the abstract nature of its mechanics.

-SynikaL

Lance87

Smash Lord
Memphis/Millington --- Runaway 7 till I die.
These look great. I was a casual player in melee, but I might end up learning the advanced techs in brawl, they look awesome. Hope you guys keep finding them, and good luck.
One down, one million to go, lol.

**ON TOPIC**

Noir- Would you mind using Peach and trying to JBT (or RAR, w/e) into a float, then a Bair almost instantly...? Also, were you peach-literate in melee?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
So wait, you're sure nobody can djc? I swear I've seen several movies where Ness and Peach used a DJC effectively. I was also told that Peach could still float cancel...

If this is true, then I apologise for what I said earlier.

lazychi

Smash Cadet
Great finds and great vids!

Im wondering what are your impressions so far on snake? He seems alot diffrent from most of the other characters so far. Any info would be great really.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
No djc is automatically a bad thing for Lucas and Ness...what actually happens instead? Do they just continue along their curved jump paths? It may be possible to turn this loss into a win if they can attack effectively this way.

Concerning Fox's up b. Does it start "burning" sooner? As in, if you activate it right next to an opponent, does it start doing damage sooner than it did in Melee?

On top of that, is it still possible to do the "levitating Firefox trick?"

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
So, how do you feel about Ike? It looks to me (from videos) that he's a tough customer in a 1 on 1 despite being one of the slower characters.

Piratey_Critter

Smash Apprentice
Just simply call it "Reverse/Inverse Bair/Aerial". Everything else just looks corny and contrived, considering the abstract nature of its mechanics.

-SynikaL
I think inverse aerial would be better than JBT, but that's just me. It's up to Noir I guess.

Does anyone know of a write up about the new air dodge? All I know is that it's different, and I'm super curious >.<

Maybe we can find some techniques that take advantage of it.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Like RAR.
And when you do a winning move with it, we call it WINRAR!

Heh, and I made some suggestions to try to make the Lucario better, because in all honesty, he could've held his own on Diddy much better.
-DD

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Can you please check the Sonic thing? I want to know how quickly Sonic can attack after his up B, since he was the only character described to have that feature. Can he attack right in the middle of it? Does he have to wait till the peak? Does the spring hold the same properties if other characters bounce on it?

Eaode

Smash Champion
*AWESOME IDEA INCOMING*

Does Ganondorf's Uair still reverse spike?

If so, try using it after a JBT/RAR
This will be so awesome if it works.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Having a much more in depth meta-game is what makes a game more fun.
If you can play the game and increasingly get better and better, you won't be finding yourself stopping anytime soon.
SSBB, and SSBM, same philosophies apply.
You don't have to learn advanced tech but it's ignorant for the most part, and when you get beaten by someone with advanced tech don't complain.
I really hope the Brawl has more things that we can manipulate. Grea job so far though, backwards jumping looks important.

Hmaal

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you but we don't neccesarily need advanced techs. but just learn to react faster and play better.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
*posted again so it doesn't get ignored*

Can you please check the Sonic thing? I want to know how quickly Sonic can attack after his up B, since he was the only character described to have that feature. Can he attack right in the middle of it? Does he have to wait till the peak? Does the spring hold the same properties if other characters bounce on it?

I agree with you but we don't neccesarily need advanced techs. but just learn to react faster and play better.
And advance techs give you more options-> which make you have to think faster->Which make your mental game improve as well->which makes you find more uses for advance techs->which gives you more options->ect.

Advance techs are a good thing because they don't just give more room for technical ability. They give you more room for mindgames too.

Burning Soul

Smash Apprentice
Some may call it exploiting the game's physics, but most of us don't try to play this way so we can "pwn dem nebz lawlz"

Its because playing and trying to be the best is fun. You think people like playing competitive because were evil? No, its because we enjoy competition, personally, smash is the only competitive thing that i'm involved in and i want to see if its going away or not.

Thanks a lot Noir, and please continue your research, im glad to see ww link making some combos =)

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
3 questions:

Is that supposed to be an example of the backwards jumping (FTB, RAR) thing?

Is dash canceling still in?

Did the downward auto ledge grabs (Fox, Falco, Sheik, etc... recovery moves) get taken out?

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
With the "Jump back towards" tecnique

I dash towards opponent.

Quickly turn around and then hit the jump

And attack backwards?

Adi

Smash Lord
Did the downward auto ledge grabs (Fox, Falco, Sheik, etc... recovery moves) get taken out?
I don't believe so because I believe I saw Bowser Down-B at the edge and grab it, it is a different mechanic though so we'll have to see.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Why is nobody answering my question? It doesn't seem like it's something hard to test. Just up B with Sonic and see if you can attack afterwards. If you can then up B from the ground again and see if you can attack on the way up. It's not a hard test to do, I just don't have access to brawl to do it myself.

greenblob

Smash Lord
RAR + WoP = Pwnage?

Anyway, I'm especially curious about combos. Do standard Melee combos such as utilt chains, aerial chains, stupidly easy Sheik combos, etc. still work? Are there any new combos?

Help!

Smash Journeyman
In Gimpy's impressions Mario was supposed to have his same basic combo's but i havnt really seen a good 1v1 video of Mario. but as of now combos seem to be harder to pull off at the moment but this is just my speculation cause i dont have the game or nothing of that sort. but in a video with shiek vs marth shiek still had her tilt combos.

Top Bottom