• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noir's Advance Technique/Reseach and Discussion.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
(b^_^)b WinRAR! Yay!
=P I'm happy I coined that term...
But yea, I have a feeling that the WCS(Wall Cling Stall) will be disallowed in tournament play, especially considering how easy to do it is, and how dangerous it would be to attack someone who is doing it.

However, it does promote Wall Cling as being a very good thing for recoveries.
Upload that DI vid, cause DI is clearly very important at this moment.
-DD

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
For the naming scheme my suggestions:

Reverse Jump - Just the action, without the attack

Reverse Aerial Rush - Reverse Jump into back air.

WinRAR - When this happens:

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
i like RAR, "reverse jump" doesn't imply moving forwards or backwards, and RAR doesn't mean bair all the time either. so...

RAR could be used as a verb

eg. RAR a u-air with ganondorf

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Someone in another thread has figured out that you can slow down Dairs that send you down.

Possibly, then, you can affect how all momentum moves make you move? (ROB's Dair, e.g.) He doesn't know how he did it...

MOAR TESTING PLZKKTHX

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Yea, I was about to say the same thing. He should wait until he gets a bit lower.
Noir! =D You know what to do!
-DD

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Hey, gotta' question Noir.

Hey, I noticed in your first post that you said, "Landing from an aerial during it's early frames will sometimes get no lag, depending on the move(usually slow start up ones)." What I was wondering is, I'm PRETTY sure I've seen this done with Ike, but can the attack still connect? Or am I going to be stuck with doing his fair and always having the same lag?

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
New tactic for several characters, including Zero-suit-Samus, Toon Link, Shiek, and Sonic. It is possible to slow the speed at which they move while using their Dair, almost like a low-gravity Falcon Kick. No name decided, but candidates include Dustfall, FalD, and Moonfall.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't really call gliding an advanced technique mainly due to the fact that it was featured in a Dojo update. But nice finds anyway.
I guess I should change the title to Gliding / Glide Canceling

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Hey Noir, do you want to test out Sonic a bit more and see if you can figure out any good combos with him? I really hope he's an actual viable character and not just a popular face put in to make everyone happy.

peachori

Smash Journeyman
i just saw a vid where a some char shielded a laser from falco and the laser's path changed upon "bouncing off" the shield like in melee. i'm going to assume that this means powershielding probably is in.

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
Hey, gotta' question Noir.

Hey, I noticed in your first post that you said, "Landing from an aerial during it's early frames will sometimes get no lag, depending on the move(usually slow start up ones)." What I was wondering is, I'm PRETTY sure I've seen this done with Ike, but can the attack still connect? Or am I going to be stuck with doing his fair and always having the same lag?
i think he meant auto-cancelling, like in melee. like if you do an aerial at the very end of the jump there wont be enough time to get to the frames that produce the hitbox, so the attack does nothing but give u landing lag.

@ Dark Sonic from like 2 pages ago:
You can drop sonic's spring onto other characters from the air. i did that vs diddy kong at e4all while he was trying to up-b and it blew up his rocket barrels for an effective edgeguard/stock.

Circle_Breaker

Smash Journeyman
What's with the air momentum cancel - DI + airdodge = reduced momentum?

What's a jab fake?

What's the full deal with dash dancing? Can anyone be really specific? What does this mean in the grand scheme of things?

And what exactly is a shield cancel grab?

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
OK I have a PROBABLY pointless questions as it is virtually impossible that you guys overlooked this, but I'll ask it anyway.

one of the first things mentioned as out was analogue shields. I was just messing around with SSB: MELEE and I noticed that if you do a grab WITH THE Z BUTTON and HELD IT DOWN, it would do a weak shield instead of a heavy one. Could someone just humour me and try holding down the Z button in BRAWL to see if they continue a shield after the grab, and if so if it is (99.999% sure) that it is just the same old shield, or maybe that (0.001% chance) that it might do a weak shield like in MELEE.

thanks for checking, I know there is probably nothing.

Circle_Breaker

Smash Journeyman
Noir, please do some extensive looking into tripping. If it's totally random I can't see it being anything other than a huge black mark on Brawl, but I can't imagine that it's actually totally random.

Aerozeke

Smash Cadet
From what I've seen in videos, even IF tripping is random, it doesn't seem to occur all that often. In fact, I would go as far as to say that it's pretty rare. Someone may correct me.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
OK I have a PROBABLY pointless questions as it is virtually impossible that you guys overlooked this, but I'll ask it anyway.

one of the first things mentioned as out was analogue shields. I was just messing around with SSB: MELEE and I noticed that if you do a grab WITH THE Z BUTTON and HELD IT DOWN, it would do a weak shield instead of a heavy one. Could someone just humour me and try holding down the Z button in BRAWL to see if they continue a shield after the grab, and if so if it is (99.999% sure) that it is just the same old shield, or maybe that (0.001% chance) that it might do a weak shield like in MELEE.

thanks for checking, I know there is probably nothing.
It's already been confirmed that there is no light shield. The reasoning behind this is probably because the Wiimote button to shield is not analog. Thus, if there was analog shielding, users of the Wiimote would be at a disadvantage (not like they aren't already...-_-). Sorry to burst your bubble (or shield, in this case :laugh: )

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
It was said before that L-Cancelling is done in a different way now, Fast Fall, then use your A-Attack while in midair to reduce the lag.

L-Cancelling never stood for the shoulder button L, but rather L stood for Lag. Lag Cancelling by fast falling is still fair game to the name L-Cancel.

drengist

Smash Journeyman
This hasn't anything to do with advanced techniques, but I'm curious to know if the black hole glitch still exists in Brawl. Somebody should look into it when they have time.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Hey Noir, do you want to test out Sonic a bit more and see if you can figure out any good combos with him? I really hope he's an actual viable character and not just a popular face put in to make everyone happy.
I didn't play him much again, but like every **** character, he has a good Bair. His homing attack is good, but i would think it could easily be air dodged. More to come.

Noir~ Be a pal and see if Peach can still u-throw Falco/Fox/CF into chain grabs, I doubt it will work because of the new floatyness but I can still hope =D
I'll try that out. ****, so many things to try out X__X

What's with the air momentum cancel - DI + airdodge = reduced momentum?

What's a jab fake?

What's the full deal with dash dancing? Can anyone be really specific? What does this mean in the grand scheme of things?

And what exactly is a shield cancel grab?
Are you trying to challenge me with another thread? Well don't.

Anyways.

1. Air momentum cancel is a fluke.

2. Check the thread you found it in.

3. Check the thread you found it in. You don't get further grabbing distance, for the record.

And this is really important...

Is tripping totally random? If so, what the ****?

If not, how do you control it?
So far, I think it is. And yes, what the ****?

It was said before that L-Cancelling is done in a different way now, Fast Fall, then use your A-Attack while in midair to reduce the lag.

L-Cancelling never stood for the shoulder button L, but rather L stood for Lag. Lag Cancelling by fast falling is still fair game to the name L-Cancel.
*sigh* I'm not going to argue with you.

L-canceling does not exist in Brawl. Simply put, Lag from landing with an aerial attack is determined on what aerial you land with.

EX: Landing with Mario's Fair has decent amount of lag, but landing with a Bair gets almost no lag at all.

Landing from an aerial during it's early frames will sometimes get no lag, depending on the move(usually slow start up ones).

EX: Landing right as you being Peach's Fair will get you no lag, as opposed to landing in the middle of it. Same thing with Kirby's drill.

This hasn't anything to do with advanced techniques, but I'm curious to know if the black hole glitch still exists in Brawl. Somebody should look into it when they have time.
I'll try. Another interesting note is trying to find out if they infinite super scope trick still exists.

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious about fast falling in brawl.
Can you SHn-air and fast fall while the n-air is active?
can you fast fall while doing regular b moves in the air?
Also, can you change the direction that you travel in the air while doing neutral b moves?

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious about fast falling in brawl.
Can you SHn-air and fast fall while the n-air is active?
can you fast fall while doing regular b moves in the air?
Also, can you change the direction that you travel in the air while doing neutral b moves?
1. Yes, you can, making Shuffles possible. Of course, without the L-cancel.

2 + 3. I would think it depends on the move. But I haven't found any move that can fast fall/move during Nb use. So I would gladly say "no" to that.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
I thought my AIM was in my profile? oh well. Maybe it's for the better. I'd rather reply here than get 20 AIMs every time.

I posted my AIM/MSN in this thread though. Maybe people just didn't see it ^__^

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
I played the game today. All the various drops seem to exist, but the Isai and Shield Drop are in for sure.

-SynikaL

Top Bottom