• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Non-Melee tech skill practice for Melee?

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I am asking this question more out of curiosity then it actually applying to anyone in particular...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The hypothetical problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let us say that a "not really good, but not a noob" melee person was put in a situation in which she leaves for a family trip. She practices melee every day in order to keep her tech skill sharp, however she left melee at home. She does however have a computer that can run emulations of systems except from the gamecube generation and up. She wishes to continue practice her tech skill everyday because she wishes to be really good at this game one day. Other than online play for the SSB64 what games would you recommend she play for the sole reason of practicing her tech skill.

To the point.

What games other than melee and SSB64 (Presume she is doing that as well everyday, while on this trip) would you say require either huge amounts of tech skill or require tech skill motion similar to that of melee tech skill (Presume a gamecube controller regardless of game system that the game may come from.)

Disclaimers

I know nothing can replace melee, I already see that and I know full well even if I put a disclaimer some one is going to post that anyway. The point is trying to get information, in the complete absence of melee ... what games would you play to keep your tech. skill sharp so it is not to much of an issue to go back to playing melee when you get back home.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
if you have a decent start on tech skill and solidly understand it and you don't play for a week it only takes like a hour or 2 of tech skill for muscle memory to kick in solid enough to feel comfortable with spacing and uses.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Tech skill can be applied to tons of games.

I like using it in The Adventure of Link and Mega Man games.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
if you have a decent start on tech skill and solidly understand it and you don't play for a week it only takes like a hour or 2 of tech skill for muscle memory to kick in solid enough to feel comfortable with spacing and uses.
pretty much this.

however the game gunz the duel (PC) and in particular k style (if u choose to play this ull be able to find out more about this) require very fast and very percise finger/hand movements.

thats the only game i can think of that has anything close to melee tech skill. smash is a unique fighting game and thus no other fighting game would really help u improve tech skill imo. after that most games nowadays dont require that much finger/hand movements.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I just bring my controller with me, even if it's not plugged into anything I just practice my movements anyways.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Stepmania MIGHT be good.

I'd also say any Mario game for shorthop practice XD

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I think stepmania is good if you play claw, but not really for anything else. Unless you use a PS2 joypad to play it for some reason...

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
castlevania games are fun for practicing short hopping.

I just bring my controller with me, even if it's not plugged into anything I just practice my movements anyways.
This. It's not the best thing because you can't see your results, but it's something.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
play i wanna be the guy 8D or i wanna be the fangame

or like, super mario world romhacks. the really hard ones

Meljin

Smash Apprentice
Play guitar.

Anyway, Devil May Cry skills are sometimes reminding me of SSBM => I saw "combo videos" of Devil May Cry that show a fast movement between X and A (xbox controller) that we have to repeat to combo. It looks like the movement we do when we try to shine JC shine JC shine...

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Smash64 doesn't have shuffling. The fastfall you have to do before you do an attack. Although I guess if you wanted to practice late Dairs with Falco Smash64 wouldn't be the worst of ideas ... ¬.¬

Frankly any competitive videogame requires a good amount of tech skill (someone want to name any exceptions? <_<)

Take Starcraft for example, the amount of "tech skill" needed to go pro is quite ridiculous and probably beats SSBM in terms of sheer technical ability required.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
~_~
I wouldn't mind Brawl nearly as much if they had dashdancing and no tripping.
Also, as much hate Brawl gets from Melee players there are Brawl specific techniques that (maybe) require (somewhat) decent tech skill.

Also, TS specified platforms before Gamecube haha

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
~_~
I wouldn't mind Brawl nearly as much if they had dashdancing and no tripping.
Also, as much hate Brawl gets from Melee players there are Brawl specific techniques that (maybe) require (somewhat) decent tech skill.

Also, TS specified platforms before Gamecube haha

CrypTik

Smash Journeyman
pretty much this.

however the game gunz the duel (PC) and in particular k style (if u choose to play this ull be able to find out more about this) require very fast and very percise finger/hand movements.

thats the only game i can think of that has anything close to melee tech skill. smash is a unique fighting game and thus no other fighting game would really help u improve tech skill imo. after that most games nowadays dont require that much finger/hand movements.
He's right. I used to play Gunz alot before I started playing melee and it made the transition from casual gamer to competitive gamer go alot smoother. Everything seemed so simpled compared to kstyle in gunz. I think Gunz really improves hand coordination and dexterity. Give it a try.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I would practice speed running mario games, it takes a lot of precise movement and timing to speed run those and feel's a lot like melee when you do it. try speed running sonic games to.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
I know that I'm going to get hate for this, but try picking up a more traditional fight game like street fighter or blazblue seems to b a popular amongst the smash community. Adding another fight game to your resume does two things off the top of my head. It keeps your thinking and learning fresh and new, and it also helps you to think of fighting in a more universal context. In other words if I'm constantly learning new tech from different sources, I'll be more more open to quickly new tech for melee. What i mean by universal is instead of evaluating a melee matchup against let's say a guy that spacing, you'll think about how to approach a defensive/turtle player in general. That way the idea of approaching will become more natural and not just melee/whatever game-specific. And know you may have just been looking for a temp replacement while you didn't have any melee to play, but this advice is still pretty good. You should think about picking another one up and at least staying somewhat accustomed to different fighters when you get back home.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
I felt that playing Flash Flash Revolution helped me a lot technicality and precision wise. It strengthens your fingers and you're able to react to things faster when playing. I noticed I've improved in those two things from before and after the Apex tourny.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
GunZ in FunZ but there's so many egotistical people there, you gotta beware. But having to shoot where they're going cause of lag is also good at learning how to predict.

Fletch

Smash Master
Melee players don't hate traditional fighters. TF players hate melee (players).

On the contrary, a large number of melee players play other traditional fighters.
I was just going to say this. I like playing other fighters, just find Melee more fun. Love games like MvC2 though.

CrypTik

Smash Journeyman
GunZ in FunZ but there's so many egotistical people there, you gotta beware. But having to shoot where they're going cause of lag is also good at learning how to predict.
Its called leading. not as in leader but as in lead. like lead pencil. anyway its where you take into account their ping and predict where they actually are rather than shooting where they appear to be on your screen.

MCSR

Smash Apprentice
BlazBlue is really fast paced and takes quite a bit of tech skill to be good at at all. Most characters are extremely fast and take a lot of setting up to pull off combos.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Its called leading. not as in leader but as in lead. like lead pencil. anyway its where you take into account their ping and predict where they actually are rather than shooting where they appear to be on your screen.
Yeah, I know it's called leadshot. T'was just explaining it :D

Having to leadshot is lulzy. You HAVE to check their ping and scan them before you kill XD

rhan

Smash Hero
^^

This.

But you can relate different games' teckskill to the teckskill of Smash.

joeplicate

Smash Master
i kind of believe that playing ANY game helps with your tech skill in smash

except for RPGs, where your fingers just learn how to navigate menus very quickly

but shooters, 3rd person action games, anything with a decent tech skill floor for moving around, i think applies to melee fairly well

(of course, nothing beats practicing on the actual game! =p)

BigWenz

Smash Ace
beacuse of what people mentioned before in sometimes having to lead shot is that the hit indicator is straight bs. sometimes u think u hit someone (it will say u hit them) but u actually missed while other times it will look like u missed completely and u wont get a hit marker but u actually hit them.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I know that I'm going to get hate for this, but try picking up a more traditional fight game
No, you wont. Most melee players have a second fighting game they either play seriously or just tool around in.

CrypTik

Smash Journeyman
beacuse of what people mentioned before in sometimes having to lead shot is that the hit indicator is straight bs. sometimes u think u hit someone (it will say u hit them) but u actually missed while other times it will look like u missed completely and u wont get a hit marker but u actually hit them.
You don't understand the concept of leadshotting. The reason the hit indicator doesn't work is because your opponent is not really standing where you see them. You see where they WERE maybe half a second ago. Because of ping. So you must learn how to leadshot to be able to shoot where they actually ARE but not where they appear to be on your screen. Lets say you shoot the image on your screen and the hit indicator says HIT! it's probably wrong because they aren't standing there to receive the hit on their screen. THAT is why the hit indicator doesn't work.

Top Bottom