• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noob Sheik needs Critique

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
Hello sheik players just wanted some advice about my sheik. These link are from relatively recent tourney macthes. Feel free to be a douche bag about your critique since im a pretty terrible sheik. I do want to improve so any holes in my game you can mention i would appreciate.

Things i alredy know i need to work:

Techchasing- Im old so im trying various techniques to help in my techchase game, rather than relying on reaction speed alone

Edgeguarding- I feel like i can commit to some edgeguards, i just sometimes freeze up cause im afraid of ****ing up XD

Recovering- I need to mix up when i stall and when i dont stall and how to come back, especially vs. marth

.vs Falcon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuoljx3dfR0

vs. Ganon/Falcon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaXMKBpxY-A

vs. Marth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yob3Agz18sM

So yeah any advice would be appreciated, im trying to climb up the ranks and win some New England tourney's and prove that you dont need to play a furry to win in this game:awesome:

Meljin

Smash Apprentice
I have a general tip : you have to learn how to waveshield, it would really expand your number of answers to a certain problem.

You roll way too much, and sometimes, a simple waveshield allows you to adjust your spacing without too much lag !

Good luck, man :)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Watched you vs XPilot

Your movement is actually fairly good. Some flubs that need to be ironed out, but you transition between dash and WD pretty cleanly most of the time. It's good.

Sheik doesn't do shield pressure strings like characters in traditional fighters or space animals, Peach, Yoshi, etc. She's really dependent on having a bit of distance between herself and the opponent to protect her from some immediate OOS options (grab, aerials, etc). I see you go for shield pressure strings like [f-tilt > jab > d-smash] at close range - this is very unsafe. Grab, move back and space your stuff, etc. Down smash is generally poor on shields.

What the person above me said about rolling. You don't need to roll into people's space to try and make openings or get good positioning or whatever. You give up a lot of actions by doing so and lag yourself up a lot. Just WD back, in place, etc. and prepare to get ready for combat. Sheik's really good at combat.

You nair approach a reasonable amount. This is generally not very good vs Falcon and Marth. It's very easy for them to just dash dance around it and land a grab or whatever. It's also easy for them to beat it outright with a bunch of their moves.

You're also using nair to initiate a lot of shield pressure. But the thing is, if you're walking towards most characters and you see them put up shield, you don't really need to start shield pressuring like that. Sheik's best move to hit is grab. Grab them. If you want to do shield pressure because you're afraid of sidesteps or jumps OOS, space fairs or tilts. Nair doesn't really lead to much even if you hit it.

You also seem to like to dash attack to approach a lot. Sheik's dash attack is okay for this sort of thing, but it's easy to punish if they space further away (a lot of the time they're not even in dash attack's 'reach' when you're using it) and it can be countered on prediction if they are in its reach (via jump or shield). So, yeah, if you're gonna play that aggressively you should probably keep that in mind so you can plan counters and when you attack a bit better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuoljx3dfR0#t=1m32s

This little section was probably the best I saw you play. You could have gotten punished for that first up tilt but after that, you handled him pretty decently. Be careful about tilting under platforms like that. It worked out because he tried to drop through, but be wary of him stomping through the platform (crouch > fair counters this).

Up tilt and up air in your combos more. You can extend these by a few more hits. If you see a chance to dair them over about 40%, I recommend going for it. Dair leads to really good stuff. A lot of the time, you're also allowing the opponent to tech when you could just combo them directly. So try to get a better feel for your combo percents, trajectories, etc. You don't need to do all the work you're doing at some of these spots.

Don't try to predict them jumping over you by sticking up airs in their path unless they're committed in some way (already airborne, etc). Doing that against a grounded opponent is asking for trouble. In general, bair is easier to hit on people in free falls and cuts off landing areas or air pathways more easily (bair into f-tilt or more bair covers a lot of stuff). Uair is just a better combo starter in a general sense. But because Sheik's got low aerial mobility, a lot of the time you can't start combos off those kinds of uairs (especially at high percent). So just something to keep in mind.

I think you shield unnecessarily a lot. Don't be so scared of Falcon. Crouching and movement are a better defense against him in general anyway.

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
thanks for the advice, i'll try to work on these things. The competition is hard over here in New England but i defenatly want to kick some *** with my favorite ninja girl.

Top Bottom