• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Noob Things] - Tumbling When Backward Wavedashing/Landing Off Of Stuff?

Alice!

Smash Rookie
New York City (home), Northampton MA (school)
Hey everyone! I'm new to the boards as well as fancily-played melee. I've always been more of a 64 player (Ness main, Jiggs a close second - depends on the situation), finally figured I'd give melee a shot after seeing some pretty spiffy videos that piqued my interest.

Anyway, after literally dusting off my cube, picking up Samus, and grinding out some single player to unlock stuff, I've hit an interesting snag. Sometimes when I wavedash or waveland backwards off of a surface, be it a platform or the edge of the stage to grab the ledge, I enter the tumbling state. It's only happening occasionally, but I can't really tell what I'm doing that's causing it. Anybody have any pointers here or explanations on what exactly is going on?

Thanks a bundle! I hope I'm posting this in a way that is considered constructive and/or inoffensive, as a new member who is currently unsure of the inner workings of the community norms.

Hugs!

F1SHY

Smash Apprentice
you are holding L/R too long

you are putting up your shield while you slide off and that puts you into a tumble state

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
it won't happen with really short Wavedashes because you'll fall off before the LandFallSpecial(Wavedash) lag is over. but yea, if you have enough time for the lag to end while you're still on the platform and you're still holding L/R, the Shield will come up and falling off a platform backwards while Shielding causes tumble. you can tech it though.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The tumbling is because you are still shielding when you fall off of the platform. If your back is to the edge when you fall, you will tumble; if your front is to the edge, you will be able to act immediately. This is the same whether you fall off on your own or if someone hits your shield.

Top Bottom