• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nope's Monthly "Shugalicious's Sexy Saturday"

ChamP_SlayZ

Smash Apprentice

Kel

Smash Master
Doesnt look like OS and Kel will be at this :(. We are still keeping the ledge grab rule right Nope? Just make it a bit higher like 30 or 35?
Why not make it lower, like 5, or 1? I mean, it only goes into effect if the game times out anyway. It's not like it's going to affect anyone or anything.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
I don't think it's fair that you're allowed to grab the ledge at all tbh.

We should only play on Frigate Orpheon, and only on the side with the moving platform. When it goes to the other stage no one is allowed to move.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I honestly think that the ledge grab rule should be in use to prevent planking. But Having 25 is WAAAAYY to low. I know many will disagree and some will agree but at least raising it to 50 or 60 is reasonable. Grabbing the ledge is part of the game and people who abuse that, doesn't make it a competitive scene. Springfield is like The God Kais Second Home....So you know we'll be around ya'll regardless.. But I feel that the ledge grabbing count is being very Bias to a lot of characters. I almost lost to Baro because of the Ledge grab Rule... He CP'd Norfair....and we all know that the stage has so many ledges, that you will grab them even when you're not planking. It gives Ice climbers a crazy advantage. It takes away from recovering effectively. Some characters have to grab the ledge in order to play effectively.

Snake, Diddy, Falco, IC, Etc are characters who can careless about the ledge because the have terrible ledge game. But Falco can spam lasers forcing you to be put in an unfortunate situation.

I personally don't mind the rule, but why so Low...that's to low. It's unappealing to the smashers. And when has anyone actually planked in our region, that would make you all want to enforce this rule. Who has actually abused the ledge grabs for you all to make this sudden conclusion. I kinda feel like you all are rushing the idea.

I'm not attacking anyone... I just need clarity and I'm sure a bunch of people do to. So ummm yeah...
There are probably many typos...but I'm to tired to proof read...so just make my words make sense...

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I am against the ledge grab rule (though not as vocal or adamant as overswarm or kel). I do not believe it solves any problem we currently have, and will open up possibilities for future problems. Granted, this rule is very good for Olimar, a character that has difficulties dealing with characters on the ledge. But banning this because it makes my matchups more difficult, or because it's annoying, or because i don't like it... would only be me trying to make my character better and removing his flaws. I have a problem dealing with a pikachu spamming from the moving platform on smashville. Falco has a problem with Olimar when he does the same thing. Should a limit on how long you can use that platform be set, since it promotes stalling and makes the game not fun?

Granted, I will not be missing this tournament because of the rule. I already promised I would make it, since you all were kind enough to not plan it on the same day as the Lexington tournament, and I would feel bad ditching it just because of the rule, since I do love springfield.

However, even though I don't know if I would be capable, I will be planning to abuse this rule. After all, it does make Olimar better, and if the opponent is forced to go onto the stage an not grab the ledge, this is amazing for me. And if my opponent grabs the ledge too many times? I may as well just practice my whistle guarding for the rest of the game.

solecalibur

Smash Master
I attempted to plank last night (Yes ZSS can plank) .... then I got bored it seems more like a chore and no fun to... I'll probly hit 5 edge grabs but I wont plank anything higher then that because its just boring you are suppose to catch the opponent off guard after your 2nd or 3rd one and come up and "suprize" them

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Lol that planking was funny as hell Sole. However Peach would take care of that kind of planking quickly. ^.^

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Kel and I played in the grand finals of a tournament yesterday.

I have 48 ledge grabs, and I wasn't planking. Norfair.

Smash64 and I played a lot of friendlies. I won in 4 minutes. He had 1 ledge grab. I had 18.

This ledge grab rule is dumb as ****.

Baro

Smash Journeyman
Kel and I played in the grand finals of a tournament yesterday.

I have 48 ledge grabs, and I wasn't planking. Norfair.

Smash64 and I played a lot of friendlies. I won in 4 minutes. He had 1 ledge grab. I had 18.

This ledge grab rule is dumb as ****.
Almost as dumb as the no chaingrabs past 300% rule

If Nope caves and the ledgegrab rule is revoked, I'm going to plank. With Ice Climbers. I'LL FIND A WAY, DAMMIT.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Almost as dumb as the no chaingrabs past 300% rule
Well...what the **** do you even have to grab past 300% percent for to get the kill other than to run more time on the clock/stall? They're already at sudden death percent when you get to that point, just KO the mother****er already. It's a legit rule.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I think he was being sarcastic.

That being said OS, I do agree that at on Norfair (specifically) it needs to increase, since you get a lot more edgegrabs there.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
The ledge grab rule is funny. I enjoy seeing the Brawl community try to deal with turmoil I stirred up in this game.

XD

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The ledge grab rule is funny. I enjoy seeing the Brawl community try to deal with turmoil I stirred up in this game.

XD
Case in point: This guy

The guy that planking is named after doesn't even place.

Seriously, it isn't an issue.

COHEED AND CAMBRIA

Smash Ace
Thts kinda what i was planning on doing But it all depends on attendance M2k and vidjo are the ones that really wanted this so i figured attendance would be higher and food would be necessary But i was gonna changed the thread to see if people wanted to just do $5 venue or $10 with food included i just hadnt gotten to it yet lol Plus since its halloween im sure some people will wanna drink and crash too

Overswarm

is laughing at you
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh thats right he plays melee instead
smart guy
Yeah, he turned down a free couple hundred dollars a week to go play Melee. I'm sure.

Look at his tournament record; it wasn't 1st 1st 1st 1st 1st 1st, and if planking was as broken as you think it is it would have been.

clowsui

Smash Legend
@OS: he didn't plank in every single one of his matches lol...i don't think anybody is committed to such a boring strategy for a whole tournament yet. i might do it sometime tho

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Or maybe it's because a player of an even greater skill level, such as M2K, refuses to play that way? I can't even imagine how efficient he would be with planking had he decided to take an interest in doing it. Although it's not guaranteed...I'd wager that he'd find a way to make it **** near impossible to deal with lol.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I will be attending this and driving people from Cincy who want to go!

See me vs. Smash64 Grand Finals of the low tier tournament!

See Peppywill face me in the first ever match of the Tyr Challenge!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=253383
(anyone else interested?)

(for people going up with me, if there's readily available alcohol I will be spending the night, if not I'll drive home that night.)

Edit: OS is the only person in the midwest I've ever seen plank so if he's not here the rule really doesn't matter lol. Irony.

Suyon

Smash Lord
Lol planking rule. I mean. I can plank if I want. I just better make sure it doesn't go to time. Oh that was when I use to main Pit.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
@OS: he didn't plank in every single one of his matches lol...i don't think anybody is committed to such a boring strategy for a whole tournament yet. i might do it sometime tho
That's probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

"Hey, you! I'll give you anywhere from $200-$600 per week for doing a simple repetitive task while playing a video game. You will do this task once a week from noon to 1 a.m. with a lunch break."

I'm sure someone will just say "it's too boring" if it really works.

What actually happens is you plank against medicore and bad players and they get hit a bunch and die. Because they're mediocre. Good players find ways around it, and hten they kill you by stage spiking you.

Thus, planking is a losing strategy... which is why no one does it.

clowsui

Smash Legend
i didn't say he'd win because he planked. planking wasn't fun for him because he was winning lol, plank found planking amusing because his opponents got flustered + he hates the game so he knew all the trouble he was going to cause, etc. you keep on forgetting that the best plankers (teh_spamerer, plank himself) both abhor the game and have no real motivation to plank consistently. whether or not that strategy works is another thing entirely though.

also he believes he has better things to do with his time (i.e. trying to earn money by playing melee, a game he enjoys) so...

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
What actually happens is you plank against medicore and bad players and they get hit a bunch and die. Because they're mediocre. Good players find ways around it, and then they kill you by stage spiking you.

Thus, planking is a losing strategy... which is why no one does it.
I agree with Overswarm. Except it's not necesarily mediocre/bad players so much as people who are unwilling or unable to adapt ie. DEHF vs. Dojo Genesis aircamping nonsense.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Funny story:

I play Champ on livestream. Because I enjoy frustrating people and making people on East Coast say "THAT'S SO GAY", I plank him for Champ's entire 2nd stock. I could have beaten Champ without it, but I did it anyway. Falco is the worst at ledgeplay in the entire game, bar none, and MK is the best. It's like picking Snake vs. Jigglypuff and killing her with u-tilt at obscene percentages.

I have a 3% lead vs. Wangston. I grab the ledge. Wangston hits me with a bair and then runs away and shoot lasers.

I get another lead. Plank to see if he can do it again. Wangston runs off and stage spikes me, then footstools me.

Wangston routinely placed poorly at Kentucky tournaments, only rising in ranks during his last few months here.

I told Wangston that was an excellent job of stopping my planking and asked him how he did it, and he said that he knew planking beat Falco so he learned what Falco could do against a planking MK and practiced it until it wasn't an issue.

So, I never planked Wangston again.

Later, I play Champ at a God Kais tournament.

I have a 3% lead vs. Champ. I grab the ledge. He walks up and get u-aired about a dozen times. I win. I knew this would happen in advance.

If you can't adapt, you can't succeed. Wangston did everything he could to prevent his natural disadvantages from being roadblocks, and it worked out for him. He told me he was working on secondaries as well, just in case Falco wouldn't work vs. MK.

Adapt. Don't make scrubtastic rules just because you don't enjoy an aspect of the game. That's the biggest sin in competitive gaming there is.

Top Bottom