• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Don't forget the ranking battles I posted earlier.

I'd really appreciate opinions/comments.

Serendipity

Smash Journeyman
I remember playing ACWW for the first time in a month,. I saw a scorpion and tried to catch it, but I missed and got owned by it.
:laugh: in animal crossing for gamecube....it took me hella long to catch those darn bees.......shake and wait and run and OH GOD THEY'RE COMING!!! AHHHH!!!!! ahhahaahh fun times!

Art?

Smash Journeyman
i actually feel like entering teams for some reason. if there's a biweekly this saturday, anyone wanna go team with me?

KizzoGirl

Smash Ace
There was a biweekly, an STD, NCT2, and NO BIWEEKLIE.

My goodness, can't you guys do something else for once!? haha. There won't be a biweekly this weekend because I'm not in the mood for more Smash.

Oh! If I cancel this biweekly, will we sync with the Modesto thing again? Please let me know, because I would very much like to sync with them. Hai! I would check myself but I'm lazy and busy at the moment. See ya all later.

KizzoGirl

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, what do you guys think about the price?

I would really like to have the price go to $5 singles, $5 (per person) teams.

I think I remember BTZO saying something like, "the pros don't want to come here for a pot of just $5 a person". He said that in response to me kinda questioning the cost of entering at one of the biweeklies. That's what he believes and that's fine.

All I'm saying is that, who cares about the pros in terms of the entrance fees? The vast majority of people who play in the tournament just know they won't place top 3, so they kinda just know that they're throwing their money away to play in this tournament. Am I wrong?

The current scenario is "most people lose out, a few people win". And I just want to make it more even, is all. I know the pot won't be that much - even for first place - but it's more fair in my opinion.

------------------

This isn't a definate change or anything - just something to think about, ya know? I'd also like it for you guys to just come here with a single $10 bill and know that you'll be able to play both doubles and singles in a tournament, but that's really more of a picky thing.

I know I don't pay my entrance fee, but I know that most of the people that come just come to have a good time playing smash, getting better, and paying money to see how well they do compared to others. I just don't want them to pay a lot to do that. Hai!

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
Keep the pot money decent for the top 3 finishers. Average attendance of a biweekly is roughly 30 people, so at $5 per person the pot is $150.

1st = 50% | $75
2nd = 30% | $45
3rd = 20% | $30

As long as 3rd place can afford transportation & food (Me/Jeff/Foxroar usually) both ways, its good to go. For me personally it's $25 to get there including food.

Its also a good idea to set aside money for another NorCal fund EVEN THOUGH we are not having another tourny. Don't give it to Karthik or anybody else, just keep it for something Just-In-Case. We could do some cool stuff if we have extra money:

-Recording Equipment (DVD Recorder, Firewire Hardware)

-Tournament Database

-Group Funding (When SoCal has a big tourny coming, we can split up the money for renting cars to go down)

-Another big tournament with hired & professional staff

-----------

It also sounds quite interesting to have Clothing Apparel tailored to NorCal. You can make shirts/sweaters with the group funding, and resell them back at the biweeklies. It will be easy finding a NorCalian at a big tourny and will help you show your pride of NorCal.

Idea Frenzy, hehe. Anybody think of any other ideas?

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
Keep the pot money decent for the top 3 finishers. Average attendance of a biweekly is roughly 30 people, so at $5 per person the pot is $150.

1st = 50% | $75
2nd = 30% | $45
3rd = 20% | $30

As long as 3rd place can afford transportation & food (Me/Jeff/Foxroar usually) both ways, its good to go. For me personally it's $25 to get there including food.

Its also a good idea to set aside money for another NorCal fund EVEN THOUGH we are not having another tourny. Don't give it to Karthik or anybody else, just keep it for something Just-In-Case. We could do some cool stuff if we have extra money:

-Tournament Database

-Group Funding (When SoCal has a big tourny coming, we can split up the money for renting cars to go down)

-----------

It also sounds quite interesting to have Clothing Apparel tailored to NorCal. You can make shirts/sweaters with the group funding, and resell them back at the biweeklies. It will be easy finding a NorCalian at a big tourny and will help you show your pride of NorCal.

haha i like those ideas SHIRTS ^^. OMG I WANT A FLACO ONE PLZ xD.

KizzoGirl

Smash Ace

1st = 50% | $75
2nd = 30% | $45
3rd = 20% | $30

-Tournament Database

-----------

Yeah maybe we could make the total cost of _entering_ the tournament $15 instead of $10, to help pay off some things.

And the idea of just "NorCal Money" is a good idea. Just to have some Norcal Money for our own general purposes, like going to other bigger tournaments or hosting our own big tournaments.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Well by popular request I suggested to do $7 per person, but if you guys would prefer $5 dollars that's fine by me, but isn't there some CS Club fee or something like that? If so that will cut the pot even more, which kinda sucks...:/

Also yeah Norcal money sounds good, we would have to get someone to keep track of it though and hold onto it. Watch out for a tourny to replace NCT2 Blue though guys:psycho:

SuperRad

Smash Master
Question about norcal money:
does anyone know if karthik still has money from fundraisers? if so, we should try to get it to start our norcal fund.

but i think norcal money would be a good idea. go towards the new december tourney, or anything else useful for norcal.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
-Maybe we could use the money for having out of staters & SoCal get housing over here (like....an incentive).

-If you want some sheet music, contact me on AIM.

-Karthik is giving the money to SideFX/BTZO and is quitting smash.

-Maybe YOU/ANYBODY can use the money if you/they provide a good enough & unanimously accepted purpose. For example, say you're a website developer, and you had insights on how to become a pro. The fundamentalism of professional gameplay with videos, examples, articles, step-by-step instructions, pictures, etc.

-If you have a T-Shirt design and want to use the fund to produce mass shirts for the community & resell back to us with the profit going back into the fund then there ya go, thats an idea.

When are we having the Projector tourny again?

Zelgadîs ™

Smash Journeyman
DBR and a few others are thinking of taking over NCT Blue. People already have the tickets and time off for it, and WE won't disappoint.

djkarthik

BRoomer
BRoomer
3DS FC
0962-9800-7488
I apologize for everything.

I apologize dearly to everyone that were hurt by NCT2 Red in any way, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything.

I hope the new December tourney is fully enjoyed by everyone that attends. I wish all the players, all the best at that tournament. I would like to thank the NorCal smash community for all the great memories that you have given me, it definitely was a great experience while it lasted. Starting from B4N, when I got to meet players like GERM, Zelgadis, Hyuga and Geo for the first time, moving to the first SJSU club tournament, then to the first NCT, Monterey Bay Thunder 7, Fremont smashfests, more SJSU club tournaments, which eventually became NCB, NCT2 fundraisers, and then finally the failed NCT2.

DBR and a few others are thinking of taking over NCT Blue. People already have the tickets and time off for it, and WE won't disappoint.
I wish Trebor, the rest of DBR and the others who are helping with this replacement tournament, all the best. I'm sure it will be a wonderful event.

Karthik is giving the money to SideFX/BTZO and is quitting smash.
I'll be returning to one more NCB for the last time and handing the money to Boback with a full report on which days how much money was raised and which money was spent. I will be talking to Boback later this week with the money report as well. See you all at the next NCB for a few minutes.

Throughout it all, I met some great people in NorCal like (in no specific order):

• Brother Zoap (Thank you for everything, I'll visit Antioch with SNKE)
  • Joel Isai ($23, I know, you are too good, I hope you stop sandbagging)
  • Treborgadis (We went through sh*t, but we went back to brotherhood, I'll visit Concord)
  • Brother GERMan (I missed you too, haha, you're too good German)
  • Brother Pierre (I'll send you the pics of your sex kick, haha)
  • Nekurbis (I'll add you back, haha and give you a hug at NCB)
  • SideFX (Thanks Boback for everything and good luck with the tournament)
  • Brother Snap (Brother Snap, great times)
  • Serendipity (You lucked out, I guess, no more electrodes, heh)
  • KizzoGirl (Great times David, that's hot)
  • Zivilyn Bane (My first tournament elimination, good stuff)
  • Geovanni (Your full name is too incredibly epic, take care man)
  • Brother Clod (Hope to see you again when I visit Concord, you're too cool)
  • Mike Nasty (You're nasty, all grabbing my ***, haha see you later)
  • TO ShadowBTZO (Freakin' Dominoes n00b, haha good luck with everything)
  • BobMoney (D-d-d-duel? You were an amazing guy, thanks for everything)
  • Scamp (We should get together to play Blokus sometime)
  • Huge Ricardo (One of the first I met, you're amazing, hope to see you later)
  • Brotharoar (Just roar once when I see you Saturday, it was nice teaming with you)
  • LunInSpectra (Bring Yen and the siblings to visit Fremont sometime, you missed my graduation, haha)
  • SilentSpectre (Your nods and giggles are awesome, I'm your fan . . . silentspectre!)
  • Ian (Thanks for the birthday cake, that was amazing, you're too cool)
  • Mike666 (I should have a paragraph for you, but I'll just say, you're the best)
  • Vega (Cutting the cake with plates . . . haha, hope to see you and your brother soon)
  • Volroth (I didn't let you sit on my lap until the end, oh wells, haha)
  • Ender (Good times, thanks for recording everything you recorded)
  • MEXICAN (Good times on the bench, it was like Forest Gump all over again)
  • Simna (I hope you become best in the world with that Ness of yours, keep it up)
  • IRISH (Hopefully I'll see you when I visit Concord)
  • SuperRad (-inserts smiley-, I wish you the best in your smash career)
and last but definitely not least,
  • IceNinjaNICK (Thanks for all of your support, I wish you all the best)

I loved you all, and still love you all. Good luck in life, my friends.

It certainly has been quite an experience, but I've decided to quit smash altogether to move towards becoming a happier person. I would like to still visit some of you for casual smashing or something and still continue to talk to most of you, but I will never step foot into a tournament ever again after the next NCB. All the best to all of you in not only smash, but in life. I wish you all a long and happy life. This will perhaps be one of my last posts, if not the last post on Smashboards. Goodbye friends.

sidefx

Smash Champion
Karthik will be giving me $402 dollars in an envelope next biweekly. on top of that, sheridan said he would put in $50, i said i would put in $30-40 ( depends if i have it or not) and NK said he would put in $120.. ( hopefully he doesnt flake out on this one.. =)

with those calculated.. we would have $562. if anyone would like to donate a bit more to, or perhaps do what we have been doing with taking out 1 dollar out of the pot from the biweeklies.. that would accually be best.. but its up to you guys. any other donations would be much appreciated.

EDIT: i crossed that out.. cause i want as much money possible to go to the pot. this is a norcal tourny. as a whole.. if no one is willing to donate then so be it.. if everyone is willing to donate then so be it. its up to the community to pull this one off.. not just me. we got this. also.. the venue in concord isnt set in stone yet.. it was just another location for us to check out.. we have not recieved any confirmation on it yet from king.. im probably going to go with him later, if he already hasnt gone himself.. so 600 dollars isnt the cap to what were after.. any amount of money that will go toward this tourny will make it that much more amazing. like trebor said
WE CANNOT DISSAPOINT.

i will make another post updating the money that we HAVE. right now its at $0. im not going to be adding in advance the money that is said to come in for the cumilative amount.

Blue Fund - $0

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
I'm assuming "WE" means Norcal XD. Pretty much it is up to ALL OF US to fund this next tournament, I will try to get some money together this weekend to donate, but I don't know yet I'll see what I can do. We are going to need alot of officials to do this well though, and to those who do officiate there can be know slacking off, you have to be checking matches and looking for open tvs constantly early on in the tournament.

Karthik: Well, hella good times while it lasted man, good luck with whatever you're going to do after this, remember though, despite the bad sh*t, you got friends up here man;)

Snap

Smash Ace
LUNIN:

the funniest thing that happened at nct2 was when you were playing hugs and your sister said something to you and you died and you were like "GOD I HATE YOU" and i was like LMDFAOPKSDFPO

Serendipity

Smash Journeyman
LUNIN:

the funniest thing that happened at nct2 was when you were playing hugs and your sister said something to you and you died and you were like "GOD I HATE YOU" and i was like LMDFAOPKSDFPO
yea he's hella mean!

Snap: remember u beat me first round in pools and i wanted to pick a stage...i hoovered over the dinosaur one and u hella laughed...hhahahahhaa i still remember that...

Karthik: u dont have to quit u know....unless ur just really sick of smash over all...the smash community is too fun and cool to stop hangin out with u know... but tis ur choice. If ur really leaving then byeee!

petoo0

Smash Ace
LUNIN:

the funniest thing to happen at nct2 was looking at your face! LOL jk. i <3 snap.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
LOL safari hunter LOL. zelgadis for the fashion win.
Uh...fashion....BTZO...I think he wins with always matchin and bein hella fresh haha jk but yeah, no one like ever matches at the biweeklies cept me and I think Trebor usually does too, hella good:p

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
as i said before...we're sorry to see you go karthik.

in terms of norcal's potential tournament...i may be willing to put in some additional money of my own. i want to see if there's anything that will potentially happen, though. so far there is a lot of positive talk, but if we cant find an affordable venue soon, everything will be booked and 50 extra dollars will be a moot point.

i really want to see a large and sucesfull nor cal smash tournament happen. i would be glad to do what i can to see that it does.

Snap

Smash Ace
that picture is nuts. when was it taken? i still have my braces on in that picture even though ive had them removed for a month.

>_>

edit: i think that's from 0c2. i recognize the "everybody loves shrooms" shirt i saw some guy wearing there.

and if anyone wants to go on a safari let me know and i can hook you up.

Top Bottom