• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NorCal Melee Power Rankings - Summer '15 Update - In Sickness and In Filth

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
i never implied that they could not. each person has their own limts though with regards to their ability to react and to process information. you guys are taking this way too personally, like an affront to your own ability when that is not the point

edit: i never said anything about people trying hard and never getting anywhere. i firmly believe that just about anyone can become competent at an activity given that they expend enough effort, granted competency is subjective, and thus i think that effort can allow someone to become decent, perhaps even good at smash. i said that effort alone is not sufficient to make someone as good as dajuan is at smash (neither is talent)

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
lol, well i think you are prob a bit delusional then. that sounds meaner than i mean for it to*

edit: wrt the article:

survivorship bias is a pretty clear issue in that study of elite performers and the citation of iq assumes that iq does a good job of evaluating a person's intelligence level ( i strongly believe it does not)

* don't meant to be mean at all lol, i just think that's rather arrogant

Violence

Smash Lord
So on the subject about effort, success, and the existence of talent:

I play Go. It's basically the hardest total information board game out there. People spend their whole lives dedicated to playing the game professionally, mostly in the countries of China, Japan, and Korea. The three countries form basically the top tier of play skill in the entire world, and are the only countries(cept Taiwan, but most people lump them in with China) to have professional Go players: People who play the game regularly to receive a salary.

To be good at Go is a combination of memorization, pattern recognition, visuospatial reasoning, and visualization. The speed, accuracy, and depth to which you can see a position is very important. Along with that are the facts that aethetic intuition comes into play very often, as brilliant plays can come out of nowhere and are often seen as beautiful. Scans of the brains of professionals show that during a game of Go they often use most of their entire brain, portions usually used for things like language processing or understanding another person's emotions are highly active during positions, along with the visuospatial reasoning centers and the memory centers of the brain.

So, to become a professional, you have to attend and pass the professional exam. In China and Korea, the age limit for this exam is 18. Once you reach 18, you are ineligible to take the exam. As a result, most players start young, and drop out of their normal schooling to join special Go schools, where they engage in competition daily and dedicate 100% of their time to playing, studying, and learning the game. Every year there's about 500 entrants to the exam, which is a huge bracket. The top 1-3 players out of 500 every year get to become professionals.

Now... think about this. You've dropped out of school. You play this game 24-7, and you're definitely dedicated. You know that if you can't become a pro by the time you reach 18, you're screwed. It's ridiculously hard for you to get into a university, you can't get a job without any kind of schooling, and you can't try to become a pro anymore. Everyone has this looming pressure over them that if they don't succeed, they're just a bleak future waiting for them.

So by what you're saying, the top 1-3 players there simply wanted the professional status more than everyone else. They clearly must've worked hardest out of all the rest of the players, or else they wouldn't have won such a grueling tournament.

I don't see how you can say that talent plays no role in this. Having visited one of these schools before, I can say, the kids? They ****ing hate losing. I beat this 7 year old one day, he was so mad he looked for me the next day and sat me down just to kick my *** right back. He was #24 in his class of 30(yeah... I'm prolly one of the top 50 players in Cali, but I'd still lose to a 7 year old, eeeeasy). The whole ranking system is cutthroat, everyone's just looking to get better, or quit out of the system.

I don't think I met a single person who wasn't ridiculously dedicated. If they weren't, they had already quit. But if everyone is ridiculously dedicated, there has to be something that puts you over the top.

I think it's both naive and unfair to people who don't make it to the very top to say that it's their own fault for not being dedicated enough or working hard enough. I mean, in some cases, it might very well be true. But in others? There're just some walls you can't get through on effort alone.

TL;DR: I think to look at people at the top and say, "Oh, look how hard they work! That must be the only reason why they're so amazing! Everyone else who isn't as good as them, they prolly just don't work hard enough!" Is what a lot of people tend to do. After all, it's not easy to measure someone's natural propensity, their talent, their own personal potential, but I don't think you can deny that such a thing exists.

Shroomed

Smash Master
I don't think I have special talents that got me to the top. I just want is as bad as Rock Lee (thas ma niccuh) so I do whatever I have to to reach the top.

I think sure some of those little kids want it extremely bad and all that and work hard, but I think the top 1-3 just work harder or in a more efficient way.

I don't think I'm as good as I am because of some extra benefit I have from birth, it's more my mindset, dedication, and how I approach this wonderful game.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Well, I don't think the argument has ever been (nor should it be) that anyone can achieve the absolute top given enough work, but that deliberate practice is the main factor. That's why I criticized the language in my earlier post.

The argument is better stated as applying to a top tier level of skill as opposed to THE top, because one person being the top necessarily excludes everyone else from being the top - the fact that one person is the top and other people aren't is a direct result of attempting to measure that skill and order the results. But it doesn't exclude them from having a skill level in the same tier - the fact that someone is really good has no bearing at all on someone else's ability to be really good.

It is also sometimes the case that what we regard measurements of skill (like playoffs or other short-term competitions) aren't designed purely for that purpose, but also as a way of maintaining exclusivity or making a spectacle. One could make the argument for example that it's more accurate to say that the best baseball team in any given year is whichever team has the best record at the end of a season, and not which team won the World Series (though one is generally a good predictor of the other).

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
I completely agree Joe. I do, however, take some issue with the article putting it in absolute terms that experts are -always- made instead of born. There are outliers, but it doesn't really affect the take-away message of the paper.

I think generally speaking, the barriers to such people's success are due to two factors (how much of each varies from person to person). The first is that their actions don't follow their words/thoughts, meaning they have an understanding of what they need to do to improve, but they don't follow through because they give themselves outs for not doing it. Then when their performance doesn't meet their expectations, they externalize the reasons for this because they don't (or won't) consider that maybe their actions weren't genuine to their words/thoughts. Or they rationalize it away somehow, e.g. "yeah well I'm not a nerd who spends 6 hours a day playing; I have a life, so there."

The other reason comes from a lack of understanding about what it means to really be an expert. Actually I wouldn't say a lack of understanding so much as a lack of reasoning about it. I liken it to this (a la Richard Feynman): During WWII in the Pacific Islands, there was a lot of military action on islands where there were tribes which had previously little or no contact with industrialized countries. These tribes saw Westerners build airstrips and such, and receive goods afterwards. When the war ended, the Westerners left and the goods stopped coming. Some of the tribes then ritually built imitation airstrips of their own, and held mock military drills like they saw the Westerners do, because apparently this had caused cargo to come to them. We see these cargo cults as silly because they obviously have no understanding of why cargo was coming in the first place. But we all still sometimes act on a similar mentality, when we try to achieve success by mindlessly parroting the actions associated with success that we see experts do. Point being, you have to also think like a pro, and not just act like one. Unlike actual cargo cults though, in Smash (and some other things), it is possible to have a small amount of success by mindlessly imitating pros, which you could argue makes it all the more dangerous, because that limited success will reinforce the behavior. This could be an explanation of why some people rise and then abruptly peak. Not me though, because as we all know I have been constantly improving on the slowest trajectory of all time, which is why it LOOKS like I'm the same level relative to everyone else for the last 4 years in a row, but actually by 2020 I will win Genesis 9 with Falco.
God damn I feel like I got suckered so bad LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. That was a fantastic post.

Violence

Smash Lord
That's what I mean, Dajuan. I'm not saying you were born with some ridiculous innate smash ability inside of you are anything like that.

First of all, you work hard. That's a given. You don't honestly think you work harder at the game than everyone you're better than, right?

The mindset and the approach you take are part of who you are. You can explain your mindset and how you think, but it's not like I can just come up with what you're going to do every time either.

But even beyond that, there's a lot that goes into making a good smasher besides hard work, and the right mindset.

Improving your decision making ability, judgment, reaction time; these things are all very hard, and not really something that's easy to practice and develop either.

Ok. Lemme put it this way. KoreanDJ was playing in Grand Finals of nationals after like... a year or two of playing. Does that mean he worked harder than every single other player up to that point? Does it mean that he had that much better of a mindset and approach than every single other player up to that point? I don't think you can really deny, the guy was very talented.

I'm not trying to say that every top level player is oozing genius or has some ridiculous talent. I'm not trying to take away from the fact that you've obviously worked ridiculously hard to get to where you are. I am saying, that regardless of whether or not you want to admit it, you have talents that help you play Smash at a high level(god I never want to hear myself admit that ever again) that other people don't, and if those people put in the exact same amount of effort, with the same mindset and approach, I don't think they'd see an equal amount of success.

(and let's be real here, Rock Lee can open 5 gates. That **** is not the result of hard work.)

Again, it's really two sides of a coin for success, I would say. You can't get there without effort, I'm not going to deny that, but I don't think you can say that talent doesn't make a difference either.

I'ma stop talking because I feel like I've just said the same **** 10 times in a row and it's prolly getting boring to read.

L__

Smash Master
well

I think I'm going to play this game for awhile

yo this thread is making me think a lot

lol

shoutouts to joe for being an inspirational fox

joeplicate

Smash Master
lol i suk ****

i was only good like a little before genesis 1, and then i fell off
thanks though alvin =)

violence, i honestly think that you have some facts wrong
i don't want to go look up koreanDJ's post history or anything to find out exactly when he started playing, or when he made it to finals of MLG vegas or whatever, but i think "1 or 2 years" is a pretty vague thing to draw such a big generalization from

dajuan himself said that he thinks he doesn't have any special talent, and yet you're trying to imply that he has some special edge over his competitors....

you're really just stating your belief in the existence of some abstract entity called 'talent,' which you haven't really clearly defined.

what i THINK you're referring to is what i relate to deliberate practice; dajuan might have not sweat as much blood, sweat, and tears as Mr. Sammy Tryhard who you read about online practicing 17 hours a day, but through careful observation of his own videos, analyzing the weaknesses in his game, and tweaking certain aspects of his playstyle, dajuan has worked SMARTER than 90% of the smash community. and what's more, he's had the self-clarity and the pure persistence to actually follow through with it, and get to where he is today.

i don't wanna say that it's all ****ting blood for 4 years until you're good at smash. i've been there, and it results in self-loathing, negativity, and a maniacal, unhealthy work ethic towards the game. you can't practice 5 hours everyday and maintain your sanity, you can't play the game and invest every single emotion you have into your success or failure, you can't boil your entire life down to the performance of your character in a tournament every week. it's not the way to get better!

so although there may certainly be people who have tried "harder" than some of the pros, the key to pro player's success is really taking a wider scope of things, and trying smarter when it comes to their improvement.

personally, i believe a lot in a person's capacity to change their personality, their outlook on life, their physical body, and other really core things in one's life through deliberate practice. although i don't have much to back it up with, i think it's fully feasible that someone could start off bad at improving, then learn how to improve at self-improvement, and there's no reason why this shouldn't carry over to smash.

i really love all this discussion though <3

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
joeplicate said:
dajuan himself said that he thinks he doesn't have any special talent, and yet you're trying to imply that he has some special edge over his competitors....
people--experts, elite performers, whatever you want to call them often underestimate their own ability.

edit: in case it's not clear, i actually agree with a lot of what you have said regarding the merits and benefits of a strong work ethic

Shroomed

Smash Master
anyone on that PR down to play sometime this week? :p
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I agree with Joe 100%. The people that practice a lot and aren't seeing results are practicing "wrong". Unless there's physical/mental reasons stopping you, anyone can be good at anything.

joeplicate

Smash Master
idk man, sometimes i think that elite performers are actually the best judge of their own performance

anyways
i'm down to play :)
[depending on finals]

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
There's also this, which suggests that the unskilled overestimate their ability, whereas the skilled tend to underestimate it.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.64.2655&rep=rep1&type=pdf
Summary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

The paper mentions that the unskilled people not only make bad choices, but are also unable to judge the good/badness of their decisions. However, I wonder whether it's actually due to a lack in 'metacognition,' or some other kind of psychological barrier, like rationalizing/externalizing the responsibility for one's failures. Probably a combination of both, which varies from person to person.

This supports what people have been saying about analyzing one's own game as the best way to improve (this applies to life in general as well, imo). As they conclude in another paper, "poor performers do not learn from feedback suggesting a need to improve."

MasterShake

Smash Lord
replicate and shroomed: when are you guys free?
Shroomed is free all the time :troll:

Serious question to Dajuan and others who analyze themselves: What do you do when you watch a video? Do you look when you get hit and see what the situation was? How do you identify between being in a bad position or just not doing a certain action fast enough? Then how do you apply it when you actually play the game?

Lovage

Smash Hero
i enjoyed this discussion

from my own experience with improvement, the only thing i would want to add is that i feel enjoying the game is pivotal in becoming successful at it. i really attribute a lot of my success in smash to the first 3-4 years where i was just absolutely in love with the game.

back in those days, my love for the game itself came way before my love of improvement or my love of competition (the things that keeps me interested in it today,) and that never-ending will to just play the game because it's sick as **** can carry you really far i think.

D

Deleted member

i had a very impure reason for getting better

which is to **** GHEYS

melees also pretty fun though and the competitions intense

Top Bottom