• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NorCal Melee Power Rankings - Summer '15 Update - In Sickness and In Filth

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha

i dont think its whining about there being rankings

its just hard to call them legit since norcal has so many inactive players who could blow up the actual rankings if they just went to a tournament

i guess other regions might have that factor too... but that threat is really present here more than anywhere else

i think most of us are actually thankful they got updated

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
if not ranking people who could be ranked will give them incentive to play, that's all the more reason not to grandfather people into the list. rewarding people who go to tournies seems legit enough to me and i'm guessing that people who are good but have sporadic attendance don't really care about their rank

Miharu

Smash Hero
they're perfectly legitimate

you don't play = you're inactive = you're not on the rankings

there's not much more to be said

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha ok, they're legitimate, but that's not what i meant

i'm just trying to point out something we're all well aware of, that the rankings show who is currently performing well in tournaments, but does not necessarily reflect who all the best players are living in the region.

i mean, this was the same deal as well ken or isai or edrees or dbr were taken off. that was years ago, but after these current rankings im sure there are people who were previously ranked who can still blow this up

like, bobby was 9th, then unranked for 2 ranking periods, then became 7th from being NR. lucien was 15th, shot up to 4th, then 1st, and now NR.

there possibility that people can appear and do well is high in this region. thats all im saiyan

props to people like zac and dajuan who go to every tournament and do well

that said, ima still go for vengeance sets!!

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Pretty much what Hydro Kage said.

There are a couple reasons why we don't rank inactive people. First is that ranking someone implies that you have a certain amount of confidence about their demonstrated skill level. I tend to think of tournaments as measurements, with a certain amount of error, of a person's skill. If you aren't active enough, we can't make a reasonable statement about where you fit compared to other people, especially in a region like Norcal where people are getting better all the time; having a good tournament in November doesn't say enough come April.

Also, it's not fair to the people that DO show up regularly and give it their best in tournaments. We know there are a lot of good players in Norcal that could beat half the people on the list, and any TO that's worth noting realizes that they would have to get seeded in a bracket (even though there are large error bars on what seeding they get), but the benefit of the doubt will go to the regulars.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Not to mention that if we ranked anyone else I wouldnt have been ranked. Why the **** did you think I became a panelist?

Shroomed

Smash Master
Stop *****ing about "what ifs." What if Isai still played? What if two panelists were kidnapped, sodomized, tortured, and then brutally murdered?

It is what it is!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
dajuan no one's *****ing about what ifs

i'm only saying

the rankings list active players doing well at tournaments

but there are tons of ppl in this region (more than any other region) that are unranked who are on the levels of skill of the ranked players, and we know this without them having to prove it. we just can't probably gauge it

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
dajuan no one's *****ing about what ifs

i'm only saying

the rankings list active players doing well at tournaments

but there are tons of ppl in this region (more than any other region) that are unranked who are on the levels of skill of the ranked players, and we know this without them having to prove it. we just can't probably gauge it
I think what dajuan is saying is why does that need to be said?

It sounds like a combination of **** riding and nostalgia.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
nostalgia? i dont think it was THAT long ago that ppu, lucien, and justin have performed well at tournaments

im not talking about the ancient elders here

anyway, i just noticed that sheridan posted that only 2011 tournys were posted, which is fine

its almost may already, so maybe time is just speeding by for me and 2010 really is ancient times

the reason im saying stuff is.. this maybe norcal's top 15 power ranked. but is it really norcal's top 15 players?

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Once again, does it matter?

Im not gonna drone on about what a Power Ranking is because we all know. However, when comments like that are made its, like you're degrading those who ARE ranked.

And dont think im saying all this because im 15th. I fought hard to get a second tournament counted for Justin, and I searched high and low for a second tournament for Phil. Of course there are others in our region who would be ranked if they were active but thats just it - they werent.

Also, nostalgia can refer to any past moment, just Saiyan

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
Once again, does it matter?

Im not gonna drone on about what a Power Ranking is because we all know. However, when comments like that are made its, like you're degrading those who ARE ranked.

And dont think im saying all this because im 15th. I fought hard to get a second tournament counted for Justin, and I searched high and low for a second tournament for Phil. Of course there are others in our region who would be ranked if they were active but thats just it - they werent.

Also, nostalgia can refer to any past moment, just Saiyan
<3 Alan <3<3<3

But also there was a second tournament at a gamestop in serramonte lol. I took first at Melee and MVC3 lol... Also Jeff + Rey were there and I beat both to win the tournament lol. But I don't care about the rankings because we all know WHO can be on the list but its just the active players that get put on.

I don't think choknator taking away the fact ur 15th Alan. Because we all know ur #1 on my list =D.

but seriously... Choknator isn't making any "what if" statements... He's just pointing out the facts thats all. And for people who take *If Isai still played* as a serious statement *Dajuan lol* then u my friend haven't got the joke yet >.>. *I see it as a norcal joke haha*

Congrats to the newly ranked people, and for the players who are un-ranked but hella good? We just have lives to attend to making it hard to come to these tournaments. Priority > tournaments

pockyD

Smash Legend
pointing out useless facts that are just meant to degrade other people, yes

just let people celebrate their accomplishment. nobody's forcing you to ratify or accept the list, and i'm sure nobody at all believes what you're suggesting is incorrect

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
<3 Alan <3<3<3

But also there was a second tournament at a gamestop in serramonte lol. I took first at Melee and MVC3 lol... Also Jeff + Rey were there and I beat both to win the tournament lol. But I don't care about the rankings because we all know WHO can be on the list but its just the active players that get put on.

I don't think choknator taking away the fact ur 15th Alan. Because we all know ur #1 on my list =D.

but seriously... Choknator isn't making any "what if" statements... He's just pointing out the facts thats all. And for people who take *If Isai still played* as a serious statement *Dajuan lol* then u my friend haven't got the joke yet >.>. *I see it as a norcal joke haha*

Congrats to the newly ranked people, and for the players who are un-ranked but hella good? We just have lives to attend to making it hard to come to these tournaments. Priority > tournaments

Also, that was the tournament I was trying to get counted. I called Rey, and he said he didnt really try and went puff, but that you and jeff went marth and falcon. We however came to the conclusion that it wasnt "tryhardy" enough to warrant inclusion.

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
power rankings have nothing to do with who's better than who.
thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i swear u would think no one understood this ****

packers won the super bowl this year

they were ranked 6 of 6

the rankings should be based of what happened earlier

not capabilities

thats why u go to tournaments

to see if whos capable of what

and yea its not the actual top 15

but what can you do????

u can't knock the next man cuz this ***** whos good can't go to a tournament

but i understand where u coming from andre

the rankings can have more potential and be better

but it is what it is

and justin we all have lives bro

everyone is "busy"

and hasnt played this game since their last tournament

then we get all salty about it when we lose

thats just how it works yo

but again it is what it is

imo the problem with norcal isn't the rankings

its the lack of tournaments

more good players would come out if we had consistent tournies in different areas

joeplicate

Smash Master
yea these rankings are pretty good

but i almost feel like they're superfluous, in a way

and oh my god i'm tired, why am i posting

but like, right now in norcal it seems like there's a bunch of different groups that haven't clashed it out in a head-to-head DBZ style battle royale. once we all do, those will be the "legit" rankings.

like, everyone knows that santa cruz basically = dajuan, then me, then sheridan, and san jose/south bay = lord, (and nemesis?), scar pocky and tafo, and baysains are something like jeff justin and rey are semi-close to tied, then mitchell, etc. east bay is brandon, then darrell close by, then phil if he does anything/alan on a good day....

or at least that's the way it feels to me
just since we haven't had much cross-regional competition, it seems janky

or basically
since we can't tell how different regions stack up against one another, it's a lot harder to know for sure who belongs where, because it's not easy to judge everyone's skill level relatively.

like back in the day it was easy to rank jeff first, then paul, and then look at everybody's skill levels in relation to each other. but now it feels like we don't have good background knowledge on how "good" everyone is, so it makes the rankings hard to accomplish!!

how to solve this:
more big tournies! lol

i like these rankings tho
i kinda wish pewpewu, justin, and lucien were on there so i could be hella low cuz i suck ****
but i think it's really good as a first step

but if we want some really nice ones we need those big tournies!!!!

L__

Smash Master
so you do realize that 'hard' is subjective

meaning his definition of hard is different from yours

since after all it is an abstract concept

zac can you calm down?

Shroomed

Smash Master
Justin, you sure do find time for those MvC3 tourneys Mr. busy life man.
Don't talk like it's not possible to go to tourneys if you want to!

Everyone knows I stick my 12 inches of **** into each and every one of your anii (I know it's not a word but it sounds cooler than anuses), so these rankings are fine.

I want to go play Lord.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i think more big tournys would help too, that'd be fun. kudos to tarheel/brandon who have set up another good series since onski took a break.

i also think that norcal, like socal, has so may players who are pretty evenly matched that u cant really predict who's gonna win.

anyway i took a look at the rankings again and i think they're pretty good as well, it just came as a big shock to me at how many players were taken off, the change hasnt been that drastic since the 2007~2009 break. then again, this has been the longest period between rankings since then, so the big change makes sense.

anyway, ima bring my korean (aka trained by koreandj in the korean land of korea) friend from school, myl. he's been gettin better and i think he is good enough to compete with the ranked!

Top Bottom