• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not a Tier List: Montage's Character ratings: New Info: Meta, Sonic, Snake, Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I have some things to add about Olimar

1.His recovery is HORRIBLE! If someone edgehogs him he is almost guaranteed to die, this is because his up b will hit the opponent but not the ledge.(the same goes for ZSS and Ivysaur too I'm pretty sure)

2. He has the best grab mechanics in the game. It is pretty much a very fast grapple with no lag.

3. When whistling he gets some super-amour frames at the beginning, this could be great for countering.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
I used to main link. I almost got a triforce tattoo. I can beat OoT without dying, using a fairy, or getting heart pieces. Eat me plz. I'm more of a fan that you could ever be, yayuhz.
hmmm maybe thats y ur exceptionaly good with toon link. dont get me wrong he looks good from ur vids just not top tier. Marth,lucas,diddy,wolf and dedede look like the best characters right now maybe pit, just my observations from the vids

dmbrandon

Smash Master
hmmm maybe thats y ur exceptionaly good with toon link. dont get me wrong he looks good from ur vids just not top tier. Marth,lucas,diddy,wolf and dedede look like the best characters right now maybe pit, just my observations from the vids
Please read the thread. And don't tell me crap about how videos look.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link as best character in game?
Honestly, I would shoot myself. But this is only for personal reasons.

I really, Really, REALLY hated the Toon Link series.
The storylines were terrible, Link looked incredibly...gay.
Especially Wind Waker. I hated riding in that stupid boat all the time.

And when I found out that Toon Link was in brawl...I was angry.
No offense to you Toon Link fans though. It's just my personal preference.

Diddy I didn't find too surprising to be viable for best character.
When they revealed his special moves, I knew his bananas would be incredibly useful, and his recovery would be too ridiculously good.

lol I'm a hater.
no one looks more gay than marth.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
I wanna see what Kirby has to offer in this pseudo-tier list. Can anyone provide the info? I haven't enough experience with Brawl to know how to use him at his potential (But I'm pretty dang good).

Majist

Smash Journeyman
okay, what the hell is up with Ike?? does he just randomly fall on his face or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIN6AyemATI

this vid's quality isn't the best and the audio is out of sync, but just watch the match up to 0:25. at that point, ike starts to run, but falls and doesn't move, allowing marth to grab him. does that actually happen to ike or did the player perhaps just go into a 3 second seizure??

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
okay, what the hell is up with Ike?? does he just randomly fall on his face or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIN6AyemATI

this vid's quality isn't the best and the audio is out of sync, but just watch the match up to 0:25. at that point, ike starts to run, but falls and doesn't move, allowing marth to grab him. does that actually happen to ike or did the player perhaps just go into a 3 second seizure??
Look at this thread:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140600

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
just a real quick question dmbrandon... has Ness' grab range been improved? that was the biggest issue i had with him in melee, and you say he has improved a lot, so i guess this is a given. thought i would ask anyway though

love your work man, keep us abreast (tee hee) of your latest findings =)

_Doorman_

Smash Rookie
I just want to say that I'm really glad to see the game is much more balanced,and i also am proud of those of you who said you'd main your favorite characters, regardless of how bad, or good they were. I don't give a dman how good Fox, Diddy, or Marth may be, I'm all about the PK kids..
Thanks for the constant updates dmbrandon,btw. I can't wait for you guys to post a Ness/ Lucas vid.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
You guys actually think Ganondorf is better than Lucario? What a joke...
MM?

just a real quick question dmbrandon... has Ness' grab range been improved? that was the biggest issue i had with him in melee, and you say he has improved a lot, so i guess this is a given. thought i would ask anyway though

love your work man, keep us abreast (tee hee) of your latest findings =)
His grab range seems to be the same. I never had a problem in melee. >>

Yeah. WTF at Ganondorf being better than Lucario.
again, mm?

I just want to say that I'm really glad to see the game is much more balanced,and i also am proud of those of you who said you'd main your favorite characters, regardless of how bad, or good they were. I don't give a dman how good Fox, Diddy, or Marth may be, I'm all about the PK kids..
Thanks for the constant updates dmbrandon,btw. I can't wait for you guys to post a Ness/ Lucas vid.
^_^ I have lucas vids all about. check the montage 1v1 thread. There's one uploading now on my youtube account.

bigman40

Smash Master
sighs......Seems that Yoshi couldn't get on your good side. (Not meaning to flame) Are you a Yoshi user who mainly used DJC? I was pretty good with mine w/o it. I know that almost every move on Yoshi has been buffed, so he couldn't be THAT bad.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
So give me an explanation of how G-dorf is better than Lucario, a character who has combo ability, quick reactional ways to deal with most situations, decent recovery, a countering move, a strong and useful projectile, a close range grab that also functions as a mid-range attack, disjointed hitboxes galore and a Dair that allows him to disrupt the opponent's timing?

Ganondorf can suicide with his Side B and is very powerful, and he gets a whopping 2.5 points just because of this? Bowser can also suicide with his Side B and is much faster than Ganon. Why doesn't he get the same boost? As well as this, Ganon's aerials are so laggy that he'll most likely just get shieldgrabbed, or even up smashed. You haven't even mentioned the fact that he has some of the shortest jumps in the game, and no disjointed hitboxes at all.

Also, why have you not given Mr. Game and Watch at LEAST a 0.5 for the fact that his U-air creates a very strong updraft even if it misses, allowing G&W to mess up the opponent's air game?

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Cool, you've done this board a good service. It's good to get some hands-on impressions of all the characters. It'd be nice if some member of the crew played Sonic and Kirby hardcore, it'd help with the stature of the list. Better stature = less idiots and more kudos.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
Problem is, how do you compare Kirby to the others when the analysis is done by a person different to the creator of this thread?

Kamina

Smash Rookie
IMO, you should either give everybody including Sonic and Snake a final rating or give everybody a who knows final rating. cus who knows? maybe yoshi will be top tier? (prolly not but u never know right?)

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
that vid of olimar vs lucas is awesome.

olimar does so much dmg so quickly, but his recovery looks shockingg

Snakeey

Smash Rookie
bad combo ability ratings

Pretty interesting but I dont think the combo-ability ratings are right because, i can actually combo pretty good with link (combo ability: 5) but i can't combo with Samus (combo ability: !9!)
same goes for these two. I can't combo with these: Pikachu (combo ability 9 -!!OMG!!-) and G&W(combo ability 7) but maybe its all different from melee. Anywayz, the speed ratings were nice :chuckle:Well done:chuckle:

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
sux that no-one knows if WiFi Anyone Matches are counted as vs matches

Mama

Smash Ace
Nice work. Of course its early and the ratings of characters will evolve over the next year or so I think this may be a pretty good idea of what to expect. I think I might reorganize who I main. Atm its Peach. I really only picked her because I wanted to be different among my school chums (a straight black playing as Peach? thats so silly) then I found out she was a beast.

But I've always been a Sonic fan and I find a lot of these characters interesting. I wanted to get back on Link like in my days as a scrub but Toon Link sounds incredible (and I enjoyed WW and PHG) so who knows I may play him. Can't wait till next month >.<

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
actually, im gonna have to agree, being able to sucide doesnt get you +2.5 points. and even though ganon can tech chase with sideB, it was a better tech chase move in melee. could combo with it to.

and as some of ganon's airal moves have 3X more lag then unLcanceled melee ganon... he would have to be WAY more powerful to make up for it.

O, and also, his jab, which some consider to be his most useful move, is not useless.

Grevling

Smash Cadet
Pretty interesting but I dont think the combo-ability ratings are right because, i can actually combo pretty good with link (combo ability: 5) but i can't combo with Samus (combo ability: !9!)
same goes for these two. I can't combo with these: Pikachu (combo ability 9 -!!OMG!!-) and G&W(combo ability 7) but maybe its all different from melee. Anywayz, the speed ratings were nice :chuckle:Well done:chuckle:
1. This game is very different than Melee.
2. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it isn't correct.

Mama

Smash Ace
why try to rate them? skill is what wins matches regardless of the character
In this game thats even more prominent since each character is so unique you wont know what to really expect if you don't have any experience. Its different from Melee where there was one strategy for a some characters and others were bunched in to categories. But I think the ratings from people will help give an idea of the accessibility of some of the characters. Even in Melee tier lists and character ratings were evolving and changing all the time.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Olimar's rating is a bit high, considering he can get gimped like a chump.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142972
/opinions. Potential is a big factor. Play a really good olimar, and you'll see why his rating is an 8.

why try to rate them? skill is what wins matches regardless of the character
That's true. But certain characters are better, plain and simple. I've seen racecar drivers win with ****ty cars. Doesn't mean their car was better, right?

Or, I can solo on my ****ty guitar, and look awesome, but you can only play power chords on your les paul. Does that mean my guitar is better?

In this game thats even more prominent since each character is so unique you wont know what to really expect if you don't have any experience. Its different from Melee where there was one strategy for a some characters and others were bunched in to categories. But I think the ratings from people will help give an idea of the accessibility of some of the characters. Even in Melee tier lists and character ratings were evolving and changing all the time.
^_^

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
/opinions. Potential is a big factor. Play a really good olimar, and you'll see why his rating is an 8.
Gotcha. Kinda like how Falco had crappy recovery in melee but pwnd anyway.

Great topic keep up the good work, b.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Whoa, this is freaking AWESOME!

But I was a little disappointed when I found out you wouldn't do Kirby. :(

He's a really great character, from what I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom