• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not a Tier List: Montage's Character ratings: New Info: Meta, Sonic, Snake, Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobwaffles

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad it's too early to tell, since Link and Captain Falcon are my favorite characters. If what you say is true, then I might have to go with Toon Link.

I don't get why you didn't use Kirby. What do you have against him? >_>

Oh, and recent videos of Lucky as Sonic shows that Sonic has massive comboing ability.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Edit 1: UB cancels into glide which cancels into glide attack which cancels into ftilt which cancels into fair which can lead to UB. See where I'm going with this? +1.0
I c wut u did thar!

XD

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Also you know that a tier list is the exact same as character ratings right?
You do know you're wrong, right?

Character ratings are the PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS of the characters from a PARTICULAR GROUP OF PEOPLE playing them. Notice that their ratings are constantly changing, and they don't claim to have all the info on any character.

However, going by the videos it would appear to me that their impressions are pretty solid. They may not be exactly on in a numbered rating, but key stuff they have said does ring true, such as Falcon getting gimped on a lot of his moves, Marth not having as much range as he did, etc.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Guy with the Tails avatar:

I honestly don't see how you could possibly think Zelda is the best in the game. Sure, she's a lot better, but she still has several glaring weaknesses. Her recovery stinks, and against anyone smaller than Mario, she's going to have a hard time hitting with anything packing a major punch.

I also don't see how Olimar/Lucas outclass any of the space animals.

I have the game too, and like I said before, dmBrandon is pretty much spot on for most of his analysis.
Actually she won't, you just need to use different moves against them. As in, no lightning kicks. Din's Fire and plenty of her smashes still make nice solid contact, as does a sheik.

the space animals don't need much damage for an olimar or a lucas to KO them... both are incredibly strong.

Mama said:
Well. etaknights lack of kill ability may be something that can be considered terrible for now. But how good does your killing move have to be if you can just follow someone off the edge and gimp their attempts to recover? If you only use his jumps for recovery then you don't deserve to rate anyone. If you use them to kill people rather than edgeguard Melee style then you're on the right track.

Its too early for tier lists. Take this one with a very large grain of salt.
You can't really edgeguard like in melee. He might be able to stop people relying on tether recoveries, but all others can make it back fairly easily.
Jigglypuff's been the only character I've seen besides a Dedede or a Squirtle with close edges who can WoP you to death. And the rest of Jiggz's game's been negged a bit so she ain't gonna be the best for it.

fadam

Smash Rookie
Actually she won't, you just need to use different moves against them. As in, no lightning kicks. Din's Fire and plenty of her smashes still make nice solid contact, as does a sheik.

the space animals don't need much damage for an olimar or a lucas to KO them... both are incredibly strong.
Or Down Aerials...or Up aerials.....or Neutral aerials even. Which means you have to rely on her tilts and forward smash to get the job done. She's not bad or anything, but her recovery sure is and she is remarkably slow. She's fantastic against large guys, but when your effective moveset is reduced to about a throw and a handful of token moves, she's going to have trouble.

And the Olimar or Lucas don't need much damage for a Space Animal to K.O them either. That doesn't matter. What does matter is that both character have lame recoverys, and Lucas gets comboed like it is going out of style.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Or Down Aerials...or Up aerials.....or Neutral aerials even. Which means you have to rely on her tilts and forward smash to get the job done. She's not bad or anything, but her recovery sure is and she is remarkably slow. She's fantastic against large guys, but when your effective moveset is reduced to about a throw and a handful of token moves, she's going to have trouble.

And the Olimar or Lucas don't need much damage for a Space Animal to K.O them either. That doesn't matter. What does matter is that both character have lame recoverys, and Lucas gets comboed like it is going out of style.
her up aerial hits just as well against the little ones... it just needs positioning. Her recovery is better than it was in melee, but you still need to be careful with it. and, like I said, a lot of counters to zelda are not counters for sheik.

And her Dsmash still ***** tiny enemies, and all her tilts are great. True, she prefers enemies who aren't tiny, but she can still handle smasll ones decently.

I still say that lucas and olimar have enough over the space animals in the way of battling on terra-firma to put them over all the space animals, even with poor recoveries

fazares

Smash Apprentice
this thread ....it got longer than it deserves.... for real....
there are many people playing the game already...me included....

Mama

Smash Ace

You can't really edgeguard like in melee. He might be able to stop people relying on tether recoveries, but all others can make it back fairly easily.
Jigglypuff's been the only character I've seen besides a Dedede or a Squirtle with close edges who can WoP you to death. And the rest of Jiggz's game's been negged a bit so she ain't gonna be the best for it.
You don't understand what I said.

If you knock someone far away off of the edge and they're coming back jump off the stage and do something about it. Metaknight has 5 jumps and can fly. Theres no reason not to be able to own the air. Thats why I said gimp their recovery. I never said anything about edge guarding.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
You don't understand what I said.

If you knock someone far away off of the edge and they're coming back jump off the stage and do something about it. Metaknight has 5 jumps and can fly. Theres no reason not to be able to own the air. Thats why I said gimp their recovery. I never said anything about edge guarding.
he doesn't gimp most recoveries... charizard and pit can be gimped easily... but there are many who can't be

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Regardless. This thread is informational, and a good place for people to discuss the character placings.

Also: ZSS still sucks! ":D

Luteyi

Smash Apprentice
give it a rest.. we already know you either don't like the opinion/impression he gave on your char/ or you're upset you're never right. stfu and gtfo already... go find someone else who will "bedazzle" your character the way you like.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
give it a rest.. we already know you either don't like the opinion/impression he gave on your char/ or you're upset you're never right. stfu and gtfo already... go find someone else who will "bedazzle" your character the way you like.
<3 Thanks!

New info up, check it out!

UncleGrandfather

Smash Cadet
Thank you very much. This is the best analysis of all of the characters I've read so far. I really do think you should include Kirby though, and try to decide on ratings for all of the characters. It would work better for discussion if all of the characters had ratings. Take your time if you really think that Sonic can't be determined just yet. I'd rather have reasonable ratings than having to change from high to low to high over and over again. Good stuff though.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
So as I've speculated, Sonic has a high learning curve. Speed really means he needs to never hesitate with his moves.

But you think Lucario does too?

Why doesn't somebody play Kirby and get it overwith?

mindlesstom

Smash Cadet
Shove this in your "Im not playing Kirby" attitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA8J6II5Cxc

Also you know that a tier list is the exact same as character ratings right?
1. Kirby was decent, but my sister could look decent fighting bad kids.

2. No, it's not. Tiers show potential in tournament play vs other character matchups. These are ratings.

Shove that in your know it all everything.

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
Edit 2: Lucario's Bair is USELESS. This harms him because a lot of his game focuses on comboing. Nair, and Fair at fantastic, and the Dair is ultimately super for pressuring. Smashes have big startup lag compaered to most, and her tilts are nothing to write a poem about. All in all, after extensive play, I see he might have a place in high end, but only in the most dedicated of hands. +1.0
Um... typo?

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Um... typo?
YAY! You won the thread. Don't spam with useless crap, stay on topic.

ridiculous thread.. pfft I don't like this thread. Can't help.

muesli :)
I don't like your signature.

I've been wondering what my name will be on everything after Dubya is out of office... because of this i've finally decided on SNAKEGOD!!!!
lolz

Diem, haven't you at least gotten Kirby when going random? I played him a decent amount myself and even if you don't like him he's a good and fun character to use imo.
You know I have. I've played him a lot, and honestly, I can't rate him. I don't like using him. I like him in teams, but I don't like him in singles. It's not that I'm losing, I'm justing saying.

btw, come this weekend.

Chexr

Smash Ace
1. Kirby was decent, but my sister could look decent fighting bad kids.

2. No, it's not. Tiers show potential in tournament play vs other character matchups. These are ratings.

Shove that in your know it all everything.
I like this thread I think its funny. Those other people in that video are some of IL/IN top people in melee who have had brawl for a couple weeks. Our team was getting slaughtered by the Toon Link so dont tell me the players suck. Also Snex was a ledgend back around two years after melee came out (think gimpyfish).

Also tiers are based on how good a character is which is just what this is. Its not exactly the same but very very similar. I dont even like tiers anyways I think they're kind of stupid (the name of the video was an inside joke with myself). Im very stupid like that. And I CERTAINLY dont know everything after playing 3 1v1 matches....and a bunch of doubles with Tink.

how can someone so good be so stupid?
just goes to show that forum intelligence =/= smash skill
I'm not going to post in a topic agreeing with everyone. There's no point in that. If I say my opinion most likely it's going to start an arguement with someone because someones not going to like it. 8)

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I think it should be noted that while Falcon's Falcon Kick does not give him another second jump like in Melee, overall he is much better at recovering in this game. His UpB grabs onto edgehogs and also grabs the edge from a further distance than in Melee. Falcon's other recovery move, SideB, is also much improved because it actually grabs the edge with consistent accuracy (even if Falcon is a little below the edge) and also if he hits something while using it he bounds over them and keeps his momentum. In Melee the SideB was useless as a recovery, but in this game it can be used in very unique ways.

Video: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=i_k6VdF6My4

Beats the edgehog at 6:10 and shows his improved SideB at 8:50 (in the Melee the arrow would've stopped him in his tracks and he would've died).

Not sure if you already knew these things but personally I think it makes him quite good at recovering.

Eriorguez

Smash Cadet
Falcon TEARS OF FIRE!

Well, now being serious, a fast character with a fast attack that kill at 60% if it connects shouldn't be the second worst. I think Falcon has potential, but it is diferent from Melee Falcon.

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
I finally played Brawl today, so I can confidently say this list is really premature and inaccurate. And the #1 mistake you made was with ZSS. She has range, aerials, and real aerial mobility. I was surprised that she covers space in the air much better than say Meta Knight, who's multiple jumps don't take him anywhere far or fast. Zamus also has recovery in her down-B and wall-jumping, so it's not just the tether.

I don't begrudge you making these rankings TC, but you are quite condescending in your arguments. Especially over something so ill-founded.

mindlesstom

Smash Cadet
I finally played Brawl today, so I can confidently say this list is really premature and inaccurate. And the #1 mistake you made was with ZSS. She has range, aerials, and real aerial mobility. I was surprised that she covers space in the air much better than say Meta Knight, who's multiple jumps don't take him anywhere far or fast. Zamus also has recovery in her down-B and wall-jumping, so it's not just the tether.

I don't begrudge you making these rankings TC, but you are quite condescending in your arguments. Especially over something so ill-founded.
I lold

Edit: you playing for 3 hours doesn't give you solid ground to make claims.

I.E. If you built a roof in 3 hours, would you have the balls to dance on it. Apply that here

-diem

Red Mange

Smash Rookie
Tourney***gotry at it's worst. I kept from LOLing during your contrived stage listings, but I couldn't help but bust a gut at the BAAAWWWing going on here. Oh, and only ***gerts don't play Kirby, so enjoy your AIDs.

Revven

FrankerZ
Tourney***gotry at it's worst. I kept from LOLing during your contrived stage listings, but I couldn't help but bust a gut at the BAAAWWWing going on here. Oh, and only ***gerts don't play Kirby, so enjoy your AIDs.
Wow... the large amount of fail in this post is astonishing.

Request b& of myself, I don't want to be infected by this place.
You already are infected, see your post I quoted above.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
poor captain falcom... Dont forget ppl the game i still new and he still aint a good player yet soooo yeah captain falcon could still be great. mabey he just sucks with captain falcon lol XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom