• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not enough challenging players in for glory matches

Are you satified with the level of challenge For Glory players presents ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I need more, I want a ranked match mode with good matchmaking, so that I can play against people who give me a challenge,but don't beat me without me being able to even put up a fight. I like a good challenge,but I hate playing against someone who is at a MUCH higher level than me.

Karthage

Smash Cadet
It was good at first, but then I got the basics down and most opponents are way too easy.

Seathony

Smash Rookie
Someone play me please online is getting way too easy. I main Mega Man. My Id is Seathony

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
You guys should screenshot your win/loss ratio before you talk about how awesome you are ;)
Your joking right? With the types of players on FG win/loss ratio means nothing. It tells you how often you win,but you could be playing against a ton of terrible players who make it way too easy.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I always feel underwhelmed when people say how easy For Glory is. Me and my 48% win rate say otherwise. ;(

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
My win rate is sitting at 65% after 35 matches on the Wii U version, but I'd like to see some improvements made to matchmaking. Construct a standard to measure skill and maybe even character preferences (i.e. choosing to fight only one certain character, not multiple, since that would mean no one would want to fight Rosalumas/Diddies/ZSS), and implement it. If it's garbage, try harder.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It feels like the problem is that there's no telling whether you get a super-tourney-level player or an easy-yet-incredibly-annoying roll+projectile spammer.

Maybe the matchmaking takes several months to "stabilize" (Sakurai said that there's some form of it), but it's rather random.

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Is there no option for "I rarely lose, but it's fine"?
I like being able to play characters other than my main and still have good matches. If For Glory used a better rating system, I'd get crushed every time I choose not to play my best character. I like being able to play some matches with characters I like such as maybe Shulk or Mario before going tryhard with ROB.

Rocking 90% at the moment, so maybe it is a little too easy, but as long as it's fun... whatever.

genesis_SOC

Smash Cadet
NNID
genesis_SOC
I'm really happy with it, but it needs rankings/global and character leaderboards ect.. Play it enough especially during off-hours and you'll find some good opponents here and there.

sikened

Smash Rookie
I'm at 7 wins 43 losses, so as of now I'm just getting my ass kicked every game

wisdomsprince

Smash Rookie
NNID
wisdomsprince
3DS FC
0662-4741-7158
I'm much better with Smash mode than 1V1. I would like to be able to practice 1V1 without being ranked

Volbard

Smash Rookie
I've yet to find a player that's worse than me in FG on Wii U, just a couple on 3DS. Most two stock me. I'm really trying to improve and I get good hits in, but apparently other new players just stay out of FG.

It's pretty weird, I haven't felt this bad at a game since I started playing counter strike in the 90s.

Anyway, if FG is too easy for you, you should probably start exchanging friend codes with each other!

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I think the problem I have right now, is that I have only been playing the game a couple of days, while it seems most have been playing the 3DS and probably know the match-ups a little better than I do. I am sitting at roughly a 45% win rate. Granted, I've only played online once and it was the 2nd day I had the game. So there will always be some improvement after a few weeks or months of playing. At least I hope...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Clinging desperately to my 50% to 60% win/loss ratio.
I am inclined to believe that I AM being matched with people of a similar skill level, seeing as how I lose roughly half of my matches.
Maybe the online matchmaking is similar to Tekken Tag 2's? At least, I hope it is, that game has the greatest online due to the awesome matchmaking feature which ranks you and pits you against similarly ranked players. I mean, NamcoBandai makes the online for all of nintendo's latest games so it seems pretty likely that they implemented it into smash, just kept it behind the scenes deep within the coding of the game.

Sadly there is no concrete evidence to show what kind of matchmaking, if any, is being made or if it is truly random.

Karthage

Smash Cadet
I think the problem I have right now, is that I have only been playing the game a couple of days, while it seems most have been playing the 3DS and probably know the match-ups a little better than I do. I am sitting at roughly a 45% win rate. Granted, I've only played online once and it was the 2nd day I had the game. So there will always be some improvement after a few weeks or months of playing. At least I hope...
Matchup and gameplay experience is huge. Gotta get in those few hundred throwaway matches while you learn the engine.

You will get much, much better.

Heck, I look at my week old replays and see how much better I've become.

Clinging desperately to my 50% to 60% win/loss ratio.
I am inclined to believe that I AM being matched with people of a similar skill level, seeing as how I lose roughly half of my matches.
Maybe the online matchmaking is similar to Tekken Tag 2's? At least, I hope it is, that game has the greatest online due to the awesome matchmaking feature which ranks you and pits you against similarly ranked players. I mean, NamcoBandai makes the online for all of nintendo's latest games so it seems pretty likely that they implemented it into smash, just kept it behind the scenes deep within the coding of the game.

Sadly there is no concrete evidence to show what kind of matchmaking, if any, is being made or if it is truly random.
I wish there were same-skill matchmaking, I really do. I don't think there is though. Myself and many others are reporting win rates that are just waaaay to high for there to be similar skilled matchmaking. No one should have an 80+% win rate after a few hundred games, but it's pretty common. If it did it properly, it would just keep pairing you up against stronger and stronger opponents until your win rate goes back to 50%, with only the very best having impressive victory streaks.

Colonel Kurtz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ColonelKurtz19
3DS FC
1091-8043-0363
I'm at 7 wins 43 losses, so as of now I'm just getting my *** kicked every game

Same here bud, that's my exact record. But don't get frustrated. It took me about 100-150 matches in Street fighter IV to start winning consistently and there's a lot less casual players there and the games been out much longer; meaning the skill gap b/w the lowest and higher ranked players is much higher. You will get better and start winning!!

It does suck though. Getting my ass beat in sm4sh reminds me how much this process sucks!

Kriscake

Smash Rookie
I am sitting at 2300+ matches with 73.15 % wins on the 3DS. I am curious as to how the MMR actually works if there is a hidden factor to who we get matched against. I seem to bump into alot of players my level but it is painstrikingly frustrating when you have a losing streak attributed to being matched with the superior, won't break a combo players, suffer connection issues that work against you or just have a bad day with stupid mistakes. An actual ranking system would be nice but knowing Nintendo that is way top hardcore for them... The challenge is definitely there but it is inconsistent.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I have about a 60% winrate because I go for the suicide kills every time the opportunity presents itself. I'm the master of the Raptor Boost Meteor :p

Moustachio

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually looking for more challenging players myself. On 1v1 For Glory, I'm currently sitting at 87.29% winrate for a total of 2,542 battles. I can provide a pic if necessary. PM me if you're interested in some fun. I main Little Mac by the way.

R!otStar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-2994-3529
The challenge on for glory could be better but in the morning some good players from japan are on......could get your pro fix from them :)

Eruvala

Smash Rookie
Learned this lesson many years ago in the days of runescape:

If you're better than them, call them a noob, if there better than you, call them a no-life.

Honestly though sometimes I know I can beat someone but I just cannot adapt to the lag sometimes, especially the input delay, thats my biggest issue with online.

Netherfall

Smash Cadet
NNID
bambamboombop
3DS FC
1822-1445-5706
Eh. If anything, I'd just say its inconsistent since it matches seemingly at random. I haven't played as many matches as others here (1360 total) with most of my losses due to me being salty and not focusing. There have been some players that just dominate me without losing any stocks, but those are generally few and far between.

When I first started, I was around 95% win rate until good players showed up. I was super predictable, easily punishable, and never followed up on anything. This dropped me down to 55-60% before I switched up my playstyle. Currently at 82.57% now, but I tend to leave games if I 2 stock my opponent with little trouble now until I find a challenging player.

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
I get a fair amount of challenge in For Glory. On 3DS (The only one I own right now), I have about 61% in terms of win ratio and that's after playing 436 matches. I generally meet okay players, but I also meet some really good players online at times. So, I believe I'm getting my fair share of challenge online. It's rather inconsistent in some cases.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Not challenging? NOT CHALLENGING?! HAVE YOU EVER FOUGHT LAG?! YOU WILL NEVER WIN! *goes to weep in a corner*

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
That's a nice WR, and thanks for being one to share, but just want to say (in case you don't know) that in me and my friends' experiences, the system won't put you at any decent skill rating until at least several hundred games at the lowest, even if you have a 90%+ winrate. Even then it seems there's not enough good players online, as most games are still a breeze.

To me though, it's satisfactory; occasionally there's a decently challenging player, and even if they aren't you can still improve. It's not just about winning or losing; set goals for yourself to keep yourself focused, for example if I fight an easy player I try to win without taking more than 30% so that I really practice my spacing and such.

Last edited:

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
I'm wrecking every time I manage to get a decent connection, but I've been getting some pretty nasty laggy games where I get ***** by random charged smashes I can't avoid/punish on lag. I'm honestly considering switching characters to avoid the issues I have with it. My connection is great (90 down 12 up 18 ping console in DMZ) but every other person I connect to I get nearly unplayable lag. How do other people deal with it? Does anyone use the LAN adapter? Does it work?

The actual quality of the players I end up playing against is really low. Mostly people charging easily punishable attacks abusing bad connections to get away with it. Because it feels like you are playing underwater you basically have to shield because your counters and spot dodges don't come out on time.

Last edited:

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
I would say the skill levels vary quite a bit! There are some very proficient players... but there are also not so proficient players... so I think it is a fair balance in difficulty for a fighting game!

warionumbah2

Smash Master
shout out for flo, if you encounter him you're in for a good fight.

he's one of those gems who helps you improve your game, i've become better with Marth and being able to react when a moves whiff.

he mains MK and plays C.Falcon and a bit of Kirby.

There is good players on FG maybe it depends on GSP???

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
I have over a 70% winrate and of my losses thus far 2 were because of unfortunate SDs and the other 4 were on gross connections. I'm trying to decide if I should bother to play it anymore because thus far I have had one good match online and the rest have been terrible either because of the skill gap or because of the connection.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
I lose more matches to the lag then my actual opponents.

Top Bottom