• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not grabbing the edge

Staco

Smash Champion
If you hold down you wont grab edges.

In the Falco boards Xonar actually pointed out, that you wont grab the edge with Falco if you hold down and with that you can hold the hitbox active.

Maybe some guys allready know this, but this can be done with almost every B move which normaly grabs the edge.
(I think it doesnt work with tether recoverys and Ice Climbers Up B, and Pit gets pulled down if doing this, stupid xD)

I think this is pretty useful for some characters!

Rob can Up B against the edge without grabbing it.

Ness can Up B against the edge at a certain point and gets reflected, so that he ends up far in the air (mindgames any1? ^^). He also can just ignore the edge and hit some enemy waiting at the ledge.

I see alot of potential for this.
It can also fasten up your game play.

Pika can go with his Up B through the edge and then at the stage with his 2nd part of the Up B. (hard to pull of)

Instead of grabing the edge with a short Up B strike Marth can go through the stage and directly land on it.

Same for GaWs Up B, where this is sometimes really usefull to punishing mistakes of your enemy, beeing unexpected (hammer out of non edgegrab Up B) and he still got the upper hitbox of his up B, which also can hit the enemy.

I think Wolf users allready know, but when you hold down you can always do an illusion through the stage, if you started it at the right position. ^^

Not pretty useful, but diddy can blow up himself with this and SD. xD

DK and Bowser can also have their Up Bs beeing out longer with this. Seems to be useful.

Ganondorf can Side B against the edge and instead of directly grabing it, he will move against it first and then you can grab it at the end of your side b animation.

Same for Fox and Falco, which can have the Up B hitbox beeing out longer.

I know that a lot of player allready know this or use this for some moves, but I think a lot of players doesnt know and I didnt remember this allready beeing figured out in the tactical boards. I never read anything about that here, except in the Falco boards. (I didnt use this, before I saw this at Xonars post in the Falco boards)

So pls no posts like the one of Y462. <<

I think the main uses are going through the edge with a move instead of grabbing it (e.g. GaW Up B, Marth Up B, Pika Side B) and having a hitbox longer out, while moving against the edge (e.g. Falco/Fox/Bowser Up B).

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I thought this was common knowledge.

Staco

Smash Champion
I know that a lot of people knew this for a long time and its basic knowledge, that you wont grab the edge, if you hold down.
I just wanted to figure out the special uses of it. (I never saw anybody using this to me or in any smash video at yt in the way I figured out, so I thought a lot of people didnt know)

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
You people are horrible. Posting non-obvious things that are already "known" isn't bad; I'm sure there are a lot of players who do not, in fact, know this. I'd much rather people post "known" things than not contribute and instead only post things like "we already know this" to try to dissuade people from posting anything.

Of course, this isn't my section, maybe some other mod sees it differently. The way I see it, the TC put forward a lot of content, including tactical discussion of how to use this mechanic not just saying "it exists!". Even if already known (though where is it documented is the real question), it would have been far more positive to either discuss the tactical uses of this or, if there's nothing to be said, not reply. This isn't just me talking as a mod (since it is, after all, not my section). This is common sense for a forum being successful.

I should throw out that, as G&W, you have to be careful with this since hitting down can cancel your parachute which might not be good in that situation.

Also, as Ganon, you can really exploit this to have a somewhat competent ledge game. Use Dark Dive into the ledge and mix up grabbing it or holding down so the uppercut hits people. In Balanced Brawl especially, this is really dangerous since that uppercut is stronger than Falcon Punch, but even in standard Brawl, it should be decent. You can also mix in uairs as they try to dismount you; it's so funny when planking Ganon is doing well. If you're fighting someone like Sheik, you really might as well try it; it's not like Ganon's other tactics are likely to do better.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I was not trying to cause trouble by mentioning this was common knowledge. I will say that edge-popping is useful as some characters though.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Actually, I have never heard of it or seen it mentioned before. I could use a technique like this, gives me a new way to piss of my brother.

I have a question. Can Luigi stick his head into the ledge through this method using his Side special? That would be so lulzy looking. Plus, think of the mindgames that could happen with people who didn't know about this(like me about 2 minutes ago >>).

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Captain Falcon benefits from this as well. My friend got a C.Falcon fever a few months ago, and i suggested he should try holding down while upB'ing to the stage if the opponent is waiting for them on the stage's edge (shielding or charging an attack, w/e)... This way, you upB, miss the sweetspot purposefully by holding down, and grab them with your upB. Free damage due to a bad move on their part!

Staco

Smash Champion
Actually, I have never heard of it or seen it mentioned before. I could use a technique like this, gives me a new way to piss of my brother.

I have a question. Can Luigi stick his head into the ledge through this method using his Side special? That would be so lulzy looking. Plus, think of the mindgames that could happen with people who didn't know about this(like me about 2 minutes ago >>).
Sadly Luigis Side B always doesnt grab the edge. :/ (I just tested it 2 or 3 times, so maybe Im wrong)

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
So basically, any most B moves that can grab the ledge can be cancelled by holding down. So it's like combining holding down when you're fastfalling to not the grab the ledge plus using a b move that usually grabs the ledge? Sorry if it sounds confusing.

Also, on the topic of cancelling ledge grabs, does anyone know why zairs can spontaneously not grab the ledge even though you are clearly in range and no one is edgehogging? Like it connects but retracts for some reason.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Probably the most commonly used application of this is Wolf's side-B. Input side-B, hold down, and an opponent that has either overcommited or just hasn't seen the action before takes a hit from the sweet spot.

It also lets Wolf pretend his recovery is like Fox/Falco's and phantasm past the opponent. It's still easier to interrupt, though.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Actually, you don't hold down. That usually gets you killed due to his fall speed. You need to position yourself correctly, but that's usually done by just pressing back and side b. Maybe with a tiny bit of a downwards angle. The problem lies in timing. Because just how his Flash cancel has so many different times you can stop to send yourself flying or stop your flash dead in it's tracks...Wolf's scar can send him so far from the edge or so little...or you can telestep onto the top of the ledge without grabbing.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Actually, you don't hold down. That usually gets you killed due to his fall speed. You need to position yourself correctly, but that's usually done by just pressing back and side b. Maybe with a tiny bit of a downwards angle. The problem lies in timing. Because just how his Flash cancel has so many different times you can stop to send yourself flying or stop your flash dead in it's tracks...Wolf's scar can send him so far from the edge or so little...or you can telestep onto the top of the ledge without grabbing.
Yes, you do hold down to go past the ledge. It's just that if you're too far away and hold down, you'll just hit the ledge, not go through, and fall to your doom.

This has been really cool especially since you can hold down and keep the hitbox active, so if they're close enough to the ledge they'll still get hit, while Wolf still stays on the ledge.

Good for everybody to know <3

Top Bottom