• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not in the Face! - February 25th

Denti

Smash Master
I would love to have Round Robin in everything, if we have the time. It really reduces the element of luck and forces you to take every match seriously.
Round robin are 2 out of 3 sets. There is a reason why Winners final, Losers finals, and Grand finals are 3 out of 5. And there is a reason why you have to lose two sets to be taken out of the tournament. The more games played between the top placing teams the more authentic the results.

Round robin gives a more accurate result to the teams that placed low. But Round robin can mess up the top 3. A double elimination bracket gives a more authentic top 3 placing than round robin.

And for the record, we did take you guys very seriously. But I think you could tell on my last stock during game 2 I was hard adapting, and if there were more games played the results might have changed.

And it IS like a single elimination bracket in that you usually only get one chance to play each team, but consider this: Even one loss to your team would have prevented us from placing where we did. You had your chance to stop us, but we didn't **** around and we didn't drop a single match to you.
Yea, we should have checked the chart and saw that our only chance was to take a game off you. Good stuff getting first though :) You guys were really solid.

Round Robin is the fairest way to find the overall best team and not who got the luckier bracket. Its ideal if you have the time for it.
Round robin can be inaccurate for top 3, but for the lower placing teams it is more accurate. See my comment to clover leaf for details.

The issue I see with round robin is that some players adapt a lot, especially after game 1
This ^^^

People have to consider who deserves what place and why. Adaption, or doing well one time in one 2 out of 3 set. It's a subjective opinion though..

Some people adapt before game 1 is over. Aren't they better?

Besides, even if you win all your sets 2-1, you still place first don't you? As long as you never dropped a set.
A lot of round robins have ties and it bakes down to wins, loses, and head to head matches. A round robin environment really messes it up for certain characters. Olimar can get counterpicked pretty hard, winning game 1 is important a lot of the time.

See my comment to tree about adapting.

OMG so proud of my boys Shaun and Joel for taking first in doubles!!!

:phone:
They did work man. Too good.

TheAlpacaMan

Smash Cadet
Your arguments are valid, I'm just messing with you. Both bracket and round robin are valid ways of determining a winner. I mean, a lot of tourneys use round robin for all sorts of sports/events. It was an experiment since there wasn't many teams. I wanted to give every team a chance to play multiple games.

Denti

Smash Master
Your arguments are valid, I'm just messing with you. Both bracket and round robin are valid ways of determining a winner. I mean, a lot of tourneys use round robin for all sorts of sports/events. It was an experiment since there wasn't many teams. I wanted to give every team a chance to play multiple games.
<3

I agreed to the rules of the bracket so I have to deal with it. I have held round robins before though.. I understand what you're saying. :) Great tournament

Maybe round robin could be better if the top 3 teams all played each other again in a 3 out of 5 set. Or something like that.

Bɪɢ Bоѕѕ

Smash Apprentice
@Suspect: lol, tbh I never was retired if you think about it. I did enter for fun, but just felt inspired to play again. Idc if I'm a tryhard, scrub, or whatever. I just wanna play the game. And Dojo's the one that re-inspired me.

Shoutouts to Alpaca Man for running a great tourney; to Darkrain ****** on the big screen (dat Falcon); and to Megafox getting 3rd. GGs to all the people I played in all events. I had a badass time.

Tesh

Smash Hero
If Sky Pirate won more than you, they are a better team, thats not inaccuracy.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Some games olimar gets gimped, others he doesn't. Besides, he was teaming with a GaW. Which in teams is a stronger counterpick to Olimar than diddy kong.
Olimar getting gimped isn't exactly random, though. ^^;
EDIT: Unless he gets gimped by G&W's Hammer somehow.
EDIT 2: Or he trips into an attack, which leads to a gimp.

You were doing really well at the end, but you were also free to plank without worrying about your teammate. It also isn't like we don't adapt. I was attempting to test your boundaries as well.
I'm not by any chance attempting to discredit your efforts. You were playing really well at the end. There is just a lot to consider when it comes to doubles.
And I honestly don't know what would have happened if we had gone on longer (especially since you and ALSM are both incredibly intelligent players), but you didn't adapt in time to pull out a win. I know that you understand and acknowledge that; I just want to let you know that I'm not fully unaware of the situation.

Also, Diddy is one of the best doubles characters according to Dekar. We all know that he has absolutely no reason to be biased. :awesome:

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
They performed better than us at that round robin. I can agree to that.
I actually agree with this. Under these specific conditions, we performed better.
It isn't necessarily an indication that we are a better team overall.

We have to win more to prove that we're a good team. ;)

Tesh

Smash Hero
Are you saying that because you beat them and they still won the tournament(no pool sheet uploaded yet so iono)?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Are you saying that because you beat them and they still won the tournament(no pool sheet uploaded yet so iono)?
Not at all. We 2-0'd every team we played with the exception of Dojo+Tyson (which we lost 1-2).

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Also, we actually tied with Clover and Panty, but we lost because of the head-to-head. We 2-0ed everyone else.

I'm fairly confident that we would have came out on top if ended up playing a tiebreaker set or had done double elimination instead. It seems we always are not on top of our game in the beginning, but always step our game up later in bracket. It's been like that for the past three times Denti and I teamed. We lose in winners, and bring it back in losers. /losersbracketDojo

TheAlpacaMan

Smash Cadet
I really don't think there was much saving or recording done at this... But I didn't watch many matches so what do I know. If it was, it would be on Sky Pirate's

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I have one replay of Dojo v. Denti and two of some random Links fighting after the actual tournament ended (tags were "I.R.S" and "2-0").
People really need to start saving replays. ^_^;
EDIT: There should be replays of me v. Swaka or Nameless Wanderer on other Wiis. Can't remember which got saved, but some were definitely saved.

Brackets for the other two events were posted. Payouts for the other two events will be posted soon.
A different payout rate for Doubles and Waseda was used because there were so few people and I've forgotten what it was.

TheAlpacaMan

Smash Cadet
Just so everyone knows the Tyson/Dojo vs SilentManny/MegaFox match never happened since it wouldn't have had any bearings on the results at all. TIO made me submit a result to send the file for some reason. So yea, I just randomly clicked.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
LMFAO at Aerolink trying to start something

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
And his partner, ESCRUB. (bad inside joke, sorry)
I take it ALSM was the gold link (I.R.S)? These matches were actually pretty fun to watch.

Keep trying to finish my shoutouts, but people keep interrupting me for other stuff.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Shoutouts:

1. Denti - WOW WHAT A GAY CHARACTER. Good **** making that money, Denti! You looked so tired. XD

2. Dojo - It's really cool that you're placing this high even after losing your main. Good ****, Dojo!

3. Megafox - God, playing against you is always such a thrill. It's always so intense because you're so fast. Good job on third!

4. Sync - It was nice seeing you again. Our matches were surprisingly intense. You've gotten a lot better since I last saw you play. ^_^
I need to study the match-up, especially the properties of pikmin collisions with other pikmin. You'll get no sympathy from me next time, so prepare yourself!
Also:
CloverLeaf I'll probably get 5th at your tournament because I'm cursed with 5th place apparently.
WAHAHAHA!

5. Sky Pirate - WAY TO FAIL, JERK!

5. Esca - Wow, good job on placing in the money with random. "Washed-up Pit" my ***!

7. PJ - Consider that payback for that time you MM'd me when I was uber-tired. ;)

7. PantyRaider - Good job in both events, Joel. There were a lot of things that I saw you doing in doubles that made me ridiculously happy because you actually understood what I was trying to do and flowed with it or picked up the slack when I was demoralized. Not many people seem to do that, but you San Marcos guys get it. ^_^

9. Tree - Watched your Sheik for a few minutes. I'm a little scared to get you in bracket now. ^^;

9. Swaka - It was nice meeting you and getting to play against you. You seem nice and you aren't nearly as bad at the game as you seem to think you are. ^_^

9. The Nameless Wanderer - I think I said everything I wanted to say in-person. LOVED the music on your Wii, BTW. It's a shame the sound quality on the T.V. was crappy, you really couldn't tell if that was Mist's FE9 theme or the unused FE10 one. T_T
Good job on ninth on your second tournament!

9. RedShadow - I didn't really see you much at this and didn't play you at all. Maybe next time.
I didn't really get to say this at the tournament, but thanks for sticking up for me during the whole "raise to $10" issue. I won't soon forget that.

13. Bored - Good **** in Waseda, Mustafa. I only saw a few of your matches, but you guys did pretty freaking well in most of the ones I saw.

13. Big Boss - ALMOST got to play you in-bracket at this one. =P

13. Tyson - You really do a few things that I really didn't expect. I distinctly remember going to time a pikmin toss to block your PKT, only to realize that you had put up a PK Fire barrier on one I had tossed on you a few seconds earlier. I don't know if that was intentional, but it was damned cool. Nice playing you!

17. Mike3 - You have the ability to do better, Mike. We see it in friendlies and it'll come out in-tournament soon.

17. Blondie - Nice meeting you again. Do you actually go Lucario in doubles or is that just someone you play in friendlies?

17. SilentManny - Neat R.O.B., nice meeting you! If I may offer a bit of criticism, it was REALLY easy to read your Dsmashes. His Dsmash is good, but not good enough to throw out every time someone gets within a certain distance. You can roll away, jump, etc. to reset the situation rather than trying to instantly gain an advantage, charge a smash for a split second to throw off their timing, grab if they run up and shield, and so on.

17. KoN! - You looked SO TIRED. XP

TheAlpacaMan - Thanks for doing so much and being so patient with my constant paranoia. That will probably be the ONLY time we'll ever get each other in Waseda, so it's unlikely we'll get to do our thing in-tournament unless we go to a mid-tier tournament. SO WHAT SHOULD WE DO?
And if you saw it, sorry about that comic. ^_^;

ALSM - It's unlikely that we'll ever host a low-tier tournament, but have you considered trying Link in Waseda? Zigsta's character is bad (and even WORSE in doubles), but he managed to get third at our first Waseda event. Nice seeing you DFW guys again!

Batou - TOO COOL TO ENTER THIS TOURNEY. Even though you didn't enter, thanks much for coming. As always, you're a pretty cool guy. :D

Everyone that brought Wiis/TVs/etc. - Thank you very much for bringing them. The fact that we had too many T.V.s showed me that I don't need to injure myself bringing four T.V.s to get a tournament to finish on time. You guys are awesome.

Leaf - Should have gone.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I was the Link that won, the Dark Link obviously.

*just looked at your sig*
Derp.

For some reason, I thought I had seen your AiB page and saw a gold link on it, but perhaps I was looking at someone else's.
I'll try to have those videos up by the end of the week, so check in occasionally until I do. ;)

Esca

Smash Champion
Shoutouts off the dome :

Dojo - Always a pleasure man. Your confidence is unmatched, and your still superb at this game. Good ****.

Tyson - Cool *** dude. Pick up a mid tier and beat everyone, man. You're super skilled! Falco is a hard switch from Ness/Lucas.

Sync - Top 5 best smash friends. Long car rides ftw.

PJ - Skypirate ***** you.

Denti - 5 Dsmashes in a row is viable vs top players! So crazy seeing how much you've improved over the past 2 years. Good ****.

Mike3 - Dude you got so good recently and you haven't even been playing. You need to start practicing and start winning ATX tourneys. :p

Skypirate - Good Olimar. Super solid and it was a fun tourney.

Alpacaman - You ran **** well this tourney man, doubles was sketchy but you live and learn. Ran really smooth and the venue was sick.

Razer - Thanks for not showing up and beating me.

Megafox - Next time I'm going all WEEGEE. ggs though dude you buffer really well.

The Nameless Wanderer - Dude your PT is so good you had me scared. The only thing I would say is you need to switch your playstyle just a tiny bit. You stay aggro the whole time, which ***** at the beginning but you have to play it safe with their stam. I mean I'm no PT expert just throwin' it out there. Good **** though.

I'm getting back in this scenee. See you guys around.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Usually I'm too lazy to do shoutouts these days but I have 3 hours to kill at work.

Denti - Good stuff man. You've gotten ridiculously good. Don't get comfortable though... I'm coming full force.

Megafox - You've gotten amazing as well man. Your pressure game is ridiculous when you get momentum. When you really learn the other aspects you need, you will be one of our strongest players. If you ever want to talk strategy, or anything, you can find me.

Sync - My man. Why the hell are all of you getting so good?! Your determination is impressive. Just keep doing what you're doing. I have a few things I want to discuss with you as well. We'll talk soon.

Sky Pirate - I didn't talk to you much this tournament, but it seems you're improving drastically. You and Panty both. Whatever yall are doing, keep it up.

Esca - Dude, I was really hype that you came. Always good to see an old face. I really hope you do get back into the scene. You're still really ****.

Also, me and Tyson almost died laughing when you almost hit that damn blocker trying to get out of Mike's. GET *****.

PJ - Get bodied son. Don't need MK to stomp TL, it's free. ;)

PantyRaider - Holy crap you've come a long way. Keep it up man. I love watching good G&Ws.

Swaka - Fun friendlies before the tourney. It really helped me out against Megafox. ;)

RedShadow - Fun matches man. I think if you ever learn to control your mindset, you could be a really strong player.

Bored - All of Austin seems to be getting better as a whole. You're no exception. ***** us in waseda. Good stuff man.

Big Boss - Haha good times in waseda man. Sorry I couldn't pull that last one off. I tried. :(

Tyson - My brother. You have no idea how hype I was Friday night when you called. Everything we needed and still need to talk about smash related happened or will happen. If you really do want to do this, you know I'm down. There's nothing to stop us if we set our mind to it.

Mike3 - Dude, I know I told you a few times already but thank you for everything. This was the first time I've actually chilled with you and you're an awesome guy. Practice when you can, and you'll be ****. I hope to see you around man.

Gnes - **** you AND YOUR BOY. Nobody wants yall here. <3 After I demolish this other one, I'll be coming for yall...

Real talk though, it seems our scene is starting to pick up. There's alot of new faces, and alot of people getting noticeably better. It's really exciting. See yall soon.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts

1. Denti - GGs in doubles. You will get your rematch soon enough. :) Mario Party next time!

2. Dojo - I've never seen someone so good at come backs.. ggs and good stuff in singles!

3. Megafox - We didn't get to play that much, but it was fun watching your fox go in.

4. Sync - Austin! You are so close to being at the tippy top! GGs in singles&dubs

5. Sky Pirate - Really good chemistry in doubles! Also, you were so close to beating Megafox and Sync. I'm proud of my Shaundra!

5. Esca - ggs all around. I hope you return to the scene!

7. PJ - ggs in our MM. I will catch that TL next time.

9. Tree - I hope you do decide to go Sheik next time! Thanks for coming out.

9. Swaka - Don't freak out about mosquito hawks. They are harmless! lol It was nice getting a lot of games in with you. Practice with DMG, it turns out he still lives in Waco

9. The Nameless Wanderer - I hope you find the time to come to more smashfests and tourneys! You're PT was really good, I wish I could have played you.

9. RedShadow - Keep your cool and you will dominate in singles.

13. Bored - Stop getting injured! Good stuff in Waseda Mustafa!

13. Big Boss - It was nice talking to you and ggs in all events. I hope you come to more tourneys! :)

13. Tyson - DUDE! You're ness is really good, and we should team sometime soon. I had a lot of fun in Waseda, and it was awesome hanging out with you.

17. Mike3 - It was good seeing you. You need to come to more fests and get more practice. Your Martha is improving a lot!

17. Blondie - Nice Falco! I should have $1MMed you. I will try and make it to your tourney in SA.

17. SilentManny - ggs in doubles. Didn't get to talk to you much, but it's awesome how you and Megafox's sister sister support Megafox so much! Your ROB is legit!

17. KoN! - I hope you also decide to come to more tourneys. It was nice seeing you and ggs in doubles!

TheAlpacaMan - You and Shaun did an excellent job of running the event! Keep up the good work buddy!

ALSM - It was really fun to play you at my apt. I haven't got to play low tier singles in forever. I miss low tier singles so much. I wish you would have entered singles. :(

Batou - I hope you had fun at our tourney! Enter events next time ya wimp!

Top Bottom