• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not to be negative, but don't rely on Lucario's aura ability too much.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Lucario is definately a good character with so many things going for him, but I'm making this thread mainly for new players who think his aura ability is "Godly".

Really, it's not quite as impressive as you'd think.

Firstly, Lucario is a fragile character. He's floaty, mid-weight and has a mediocre recovery. Once he hits 120, you should start to worry about getting hit. It's not safe beyond this point, which means that at his OPTIMAL % of 70, Lucario only has a damage multiplier of 1.2 or 1.3. That's only 20-30% more damage to your attacks, and a miniscule increase in KO power.

To begin with, Lucario's attacks are all quite weak in the first place. A 30% modifier on an Fsmash gives you a 13% damage Fsmash that's almost as slow as Ike's Fsmash, but with a third of the KO power. And this is only at 70%, in which you can be KOed by moves like Fox's U-smash and Luigi's Fire punch.

So yeah. If you find yourself surviving past 120%, start thinking pessimistically! (continued next post, Wii browser word limit.)

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
At higher %s, your thoughts should not be "great, I'm going to kicktail now!" but "I'll be KOed very shortly. I MUST rack up some damage to support my next stock!"

From this point on, safe aura moves become your best friends. Ftilt will deal a nice amount of damage now, as will Dair. Aura Sphere becomes a lifesaver in many situations too, and you should spam it a lot. Don't be afraid to camp like a coward! It is NOT a good idea to focus on trying to land an Fsmash unless you're sure it will hit. Also, use the forward and up throws, since only these throws are subjective to Aura and will deal a lot more damage and knockback.

Once your opponent is safely over 60-70% and you're still alive, NOW is the time to relax and start playing around with lucky shots: Force palm, Double Team and Fsmash.

EDIT: On further inspection, it appears that Lucario exceeds "mediocre damage" dealing capacity by exactly 100%, where he has a damage modifier of 1.5. This gives him overall better damage dealing capacity than most, since his Side and Down smashes each will deal around 20%, and his tilts and aerials will be dealing damage in the 9-15% range. That's pretty good for a character with fast moves.

Lucario's a great character, but it helps to realise that his Aura doesn't make him invincable.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Once Lucario has over 100% damage, you need to start doing the hit and run technique. However, it can finish off weakened opponents more easily at that time.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Yeah, but what I'm trying to say is that by the time Lucario gets to 100%, he has the knockback and power of a normal character. It's nothing impressive.

h0l1c

Smash Cadet
Yah I never thought about that damage bonus as he takes damage to be game breaking because anything that requires you to take damage is not that good in the first place.

darthjiggles

Smash Rookie
Lucario is very glass-cannonish and even when he is at high percent he just starts to hit like a normal character then a tiny bit harder. He is a decent character from the start but if you can handle living at 100%+ you will be able to wreck other players.

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
I've been looking at Lucario to currently replace Meta Knight as one of my top 2, i've been spending so much time in the wolf and Kirby forum i havent been in here much.

SO i would like to understand one thing, the more damage lucario has the more Kb and damage he outputs? Because i have noticed while at 0% i can do a nice 4-5 hits on an opponent and deal minimal damage.

Is that how it works?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Lucario is very glass-cannonish and even when he is at high percent he just starts to hit like a normal character then a tiny bit harder. He is a decent character from the start but if you can handle living at 100%+ you will be able to wreck other players.
you won't be 'wrecking' other characters at 100% any more than Lucas wrecks people at 0%. The only time Lucario starts to get impressive is at around 170%.

The real advantage is that Lucario has great statistics to begin with, and good all-around coverage. So when you hit that 100%, you become a character with normal attacking power and greater than average ground stats.

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
you won't be 'wrecking' other characters at 100% any more than Lucas wrecks people at 0%. The only time Lucario starts to get impressive is at around 170%.

The real advantage is that Lucario has great statistics to begin with, and good all-around coverage. So when you hit that 100%, you become a character with normal attacking power and greater than average ground stats.
Shhhh... we want to maintain the intimidation factor.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
THat's true. I wonder if the >B chain throw works at 100% and up?

Oh yes, and by 100% Lucario does have a 1.5 modifier, which is not bad if i think about it.

It does mean that Dair does about 15% damage every hit, and F/Dsmash will do about 20%.

that's above average for a character, so yes, Lucario DOES slightly exceed most characters at damage-dealing ability by the time he hits 100%.

Still, it's nothing to get too excited about.

Ryofoong

Smash Rookie
Erm.. You can probably get it off thrice on the majority of characters. But then you'd be testing your luck. Since it only takes them 1 air move if you miss the 4th chain to set up for a killer. I'd go for a fair to nair then run and spam BAS D:

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Erm.. You can probably get it off thrice on the majority of characters. But then you'd be testing your luck. Since it only takes them 1 air move if you miss the 4th chain to set up for a killer. I'd go for a fair to nair then run and spam BAS D:
So then, how about two Force Palms and an up tilt? Or even an AAA combo should work nicely here.

Ryofoong

Smash Rookie
Well if you mix up with lets say 1 or 3 force palms, they won't be expecting it. Or you can try up tilt to double fair and forward tilt? Hope the forward tilt hits. Though you can almost never use the same combo twice on a skilled player. So mix ups are always needed.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Well what we're looking for is something that'll work no matter how skilled the opponent is.

Perhaps Force Palm > running grab > up throw > up tilt?

From there you could try to follow with a Uair or something.

Ryofoong

Smash Rookie
Well that combo would work if the person was at 0%. Although, getting the force palm off when someone is that low is also hard. I think you'll need to throw in one more up tilt before you go into the air moves. I just thought of this, but does (at 0% or so) an Up Throw > Force palm work?

I'll test with my friend next time me meet. Since I either play online or with my friends. Anywho, when I do experiment, I'll report the results of my many ideas. Course, I won't tell her I'm experimenting with her ;D

Sheik_Pwns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aluran
3DS FC
0834-1378-6308
Actually Lucario Full strength is around 100% to 105% with 105 being the best as seen when his aura sphere is largest. But yes at that time you should worry except unless your not good enogh to handle pressure you can always get in a few combo's and use double for awhile.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Actually Lucario Full strength is around 100% to 105% with 105 being the best as seen when his aura sphere is largest. But yes at that time you should worry except unless your not good enogh to handle pressure you can always get in a few combo's and use double for awhile.
No. The maximum is 200%, with a 2.0 modifier. At 100%, It's a modifier of 1.5.

So for example, at 100% Ftilt will do about 12% damage as opposed to 9% with each hit. Which is not bad.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Combo when you're at low %, hit and run at higher %. Learn to DI, and surviving past 150% won't be unheard of.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
No. The maximum is 200%, with a 2.0 modifier. At 100%, It's a modifier of 1.5.

So for example, at 100% Ftilt will do about 12% damage as opposed to 9% with each hit. Which is not bad.
wouldn't that mean the ftilt does 13-14 damage per hit? 1.5*9=13.5

but i agree, i never think about the damage multiplier anymore. I used to think it would be hax, but now i see that lucario's real trick is his awesome edgehogging, recover, and above average combo ability. The only time i start thinking about the multiplier are when im thinking "should i spam baby auras yet?"

Milln

Smash Champion
That does sound awesome, but I don't think AA-up tilt actually works against skilled players.
It doesn't. I cover this in Inner Fire 1 Part 2. You can't even cancel it into a grab (which is like... instant) and the computer jumps out of the 2nd jab before the grab even comes out. Alternatively, and this is the most likely situation, someone would just be DI-ing away or up from you and you'd never get the cancel off.

Combo when you're at low %, hit and run at higher %. Learn to DI, and surviving past 150% won't be unheard of.
This is correct. I personally find myself chilling in the 130% range for quite a while before I finally take a good hit.

Barret3B

Smash Cadet
Yea, I usually don't die until around 130-150 either. Just about every match I won at C3 was a comeback, I even suicided twice in one match and came back. Lucario's unique abilities aren't broken by any means, but they definately come into play every match. Sometimes i like to do the down tilt at the end of the jab combo because it can go under shields. Its also good for edgeguarding.

Pelvic Thrust

Smash Rookie
THat's true. I wonder if the >B chain throw works at 100% and up?

Oh yes, and by 100% Lucario does have a 1.5 modifier, which is not bad if i think about it.

It does mean that Dair does about 15% damage every hit, and F/Dsmash will do about 20%.

that's above average for a character, so yes, Lucario DOES slightly exceed most characters at damage-dealing ability by the time he hits 100%.

Still, it's nothing to get too excited about.
it would do 22.5, not 20. When trying to sound intimidating, math comes first.

The intimidation factor is pretty much the only good thing about aura until really high percents.

Milln

Smash Champion
it would do 22.5, not 20. When trying to sound intimidating, math comes first.

The intimidation factor is pretty much the only good thing about aura until really high percents.
He said about 20. 22.5 is under 25, so it can still be rounded down to 20 in a mathematical situation. He's still, more or less, correct.

Milln

Smash Champion
Yes, but it's just rather difficult to do so. You probably WILL take some damage in the course of Ko-ing your opponent, simply because while you're at 0% your opponent is going to come back from the edge many times to fight some more. Around 80% is truly ideal. You have power to KO, and you can't really be KO'd, yet except for a few choice attacks.

Top Bottom