• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

Sypher, what do you think about adding amateur bracket for the bottom half of the players to enter? And the return of Draft crews?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
O you're talking about after singles bracket
That'd be aite I guess
Draft crews are more fun though haha

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Why? LOL so you can get the $10 for first? It's not like there'd be much money involved, and losing purposely at a local would be the biggest red flag haha

:phone:

Mahone

Smash Champion
Why? LOL so you can get the $10 for first? It's not like there'd be much money involved, and losing purposely at a local would be the biggest red flag haha

:phone:
I'm kinda short on money nowadays... a profit of any amount would be nice.

hot$

Smash Ace
mahone don't be a lame duck, youre clearly on the better half of md/va. and if any amateur bracket were to occur, i don't think your placing during the tourney of the same day should count. like some sort of common sense clause..

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
I would never run a paid amateur bracket. Though, at a local, I wouldn't do a free one either. There are better 'fun' tournaments to have.

Draft crews is hella fun as long as everyone is ****ing interested in the battle. People playing on the side pisses me off endlessly.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Hbox
Vudujin
Redd
Duck
Winston / Vanz
DoH

Hbox + DoH first in teams
Winston + Redd 2nd
Vanz + someone 3rd

CTL17

Smash Lord
I think he's a Luigi.

Winston should go back to Luigi. Does he want me to buy him Luigi merchandise from Taiwan?

mers

Smash Ace
Vudujin is ****ing SICK. I played him a bunch up in Ohio, he's ridiculously good. Good to know he's getting even better.

And yeah, he mains Luigi. He's got a valid Ness and DK though, if I remember correctly.

Mahone

Smash Champion
New rule: Mahone's not eligible for the amateur bracket.
lol, dammit

mahone don't be a lame duck, youre clearly on the better half of md/va. and if any amateur bracket were to occur, i don't think your placing during the tourney of the same day should count. like some sort of common sense clause..
Naw, I'm just messing around, i wouldn't do that, but I was sorta hinting at the fact that people like laijin would, so it's a bad idea.

nah i'll be 2 and out so i would fight for the 10 bucks :D
Lol, like you would have to try to be 2 and out lololololol

more like freeK

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
IMPORTANT

ALL THIS WEEK (STARTING TOMORROW), EVERY DAY, I AM HOSTING SMASHFESTS AT MY PLACE. MONDAY, TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY, AND FRIDAY. GO TO THEM. GET BETTER. HANG OUT WITH THE CRIMSON BLUR. IT'LL BE AWESOME. STARTS AT 2 PM EVERY DAY AND GOES TILL LATE. BRING SETUPS IF YOU CAN. I ONLY HAVE 1 CUBE (2 CRTs) RIGHT NOW. YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR SETUP OVERNIGHT IF YOU ARE GONNA COME MULTIPLE DAYS.

ADDRESS IS 9725 Days Farm Dr. Vienna VA. PHONE # IS (703)-615-0640.

I'll host a tournament this weekend too. Not a PR one, we'll do that later, but just a small one (5 dollar entry, no venue fee, Sypher ruleset) and stuffs. I'm totally inspired to get better after HOPE, and my parents are both out of country for the next week and a half (till wed.) so they let me have as many people as I want over for that time, so this is the perfect opportunity to put some real hours of serious practice in. Everyone should come.

(CAPS LOCK)

mers

Smash Ace
I ****in love you Crimson. Marry me?

I'ma try to be there most days, and I'll bring a cube and melee every time.

Also, to all you super good players (you know who you are): I wanna play y'all a bunch. MMs if they get recorded, but either way I wanna be less bad. Help me.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Naw, I'm just messing around, i wouldn't do that, but I was sorta hinting at the fact that people like laijin would, so it's a bad idea.
loool

amateur bracket for pride/for fun though seems like a good idea though. Nobody would forfeit to play in that, it would only take like 1 setup, etc.

The problem is how to determine who gets to play in it I guess...

IMPORTANT

ALL THIS WEEK (STARTING TOMORROW), EVERY DAY, I AM HOSTING SMASHFESTS AT MY PLACE. MONDAY, TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY, AND FRIDAY. GO TO THEM. GET BETTER. HANG OUT WITH THE CRIMSON BLUR. IT'LL BE AWESOME. STARTS AT 2 PM EVERY DAY AND GOES TILL LATE. BRING SETUPS IF YOU CAN. I ONLY HAVE 1 CUBE (2 CRTs) RIGHT NOW. YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR SETUP OVERNIGHT IF YOU ARE GONNA COME MULTIPLE DAYS.

I'll host a tournament this weekend too. Not a PR one, we'll do that later, but just a small one (5 dollar entry, no venue fee, Sypher ruleset) and stuffs. I'm totally inspired to get better after HOPE, and my parents are both out of country for the next week and a half (till wed.) so they let me have as many people as I want over for that time, so this is the perfect opportunity to put some real hours of serious practice in. Everyone should come.

(CAPS LOCK)
I'll be there, 5 of days this week (can't go Monday). You want to test out the amateur bracket and crew battle ideas at the tournament Saturday? Also, www.speedtest.net What's your upload speed? I might still need to hype upload /HOPE3's footage

Mahone

Smash Champion
IMPORTANT

(CAPS LOCK)
Good **** man, i'll probably be over there everyday

I ****in love you Crimson. Marry me?

I'ma try to be there most days, and I'll bring a cube and melee every time.

Also, to all you super good players (you know who you are): I wanna play y'all a bunch. MMs if they get recorded, but either way I wanna be less bad. Help me.
Don't be afraid to just approach me at tournaments. I know my accomplishments are staggering and my jiggs and falco are GODLIKE, but I'm actually pretty friendly, just play me in several mms and i might play you in a friendly or two.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Amateur brackets are obsolete. We should do... drum roll please...

Bones Pools!!!

1. Divide the entrants into 2-3 skill gaps (depends on how many people you have). There will be an A pool for the best players and B and C pools for lower seeded players.

2. Each pool will play each other prior to singles to seed for the regular bracket. Instead of having pools where you only face one, if any, players of your skill level, you will be grouped with all close matches to ensure a lot of tight, quality matches for both top ranking as well as lower ranking players.

3. Once the pools have finished, the rankings for each pool's section will be the "tiebreaker" for players who would normally just get seeded with the same value and whose opponent would be determined by random in TIO.

IMPORTANT

(CAPS LOCK)
Could I just crash at your place? I would probably be down to just stay all week, tbh... LOL don't want to intrude though. >_>

Don't be afraid to just approach me at tournaments. I know my accomplishments are staggering and my jiggs and falco are GODLIKE, but I'm actually pretty friendly, just play me in several mms and i might play you in a friendly or two.
I'll MM your Falco. If you can take a game off me I might even let you plug my controller in for me. Yeah... I'm pretty generous, but try not to tear up. I've gotten way too many tear stains on my clothes over the years cause of all the groveling after I destroy people. It gets kinda old after a while.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
People should bring setups. That'll help greatly. As you guys know, I have room for people so we can make these as big as we want.

Amateur brackets are obsolete. We should do... drum roll please...

Bones Pools!!!

1. Divide the entrants into 2-3 skill gaps (depends on how many people you have). There will be an A pool for the best players and B and C pools for lower seeded players.

2. Each pool will play each other prior to singles to seed for the regular bracket. Instead of having pools where you only face one, if any, players of your skill level, you will be grouped with all close matches to ensure a lot of tight, quality matches for both top ranking as well as lower ranking players.

3. Once the pools have finished, the rankings for each pool's section will be the "tiebreaker" for players who would normally just get seeded with the same value and whose opponent would be determined by random in TIO.
During the car ride to HOPE we had an extended conversation about this region, its future, and particularly tournament formats. It was really constructive. Your idea was brought up (shoutouts to me for remembering the details).

We're not gonna do quite what you said but something in the same spirit. You'll like the end result; part of the reason I don't want to make it a PR tournament is because we will be experimenting with the format. It'll be awesome, particularly for low-mid level players. I'll talk the details over with you guys when you come over; I'd rather take suggestions in person than online.

Could I just crash at your place? I would probably be down to just stay all week, tbh... LOL don't want to intrude though. >_>
Will you promise not to *** on my sheets like M2K?

If so, sure. But I will be out of the house from 6:30 am-1 pm Tue, Wed, Thurs, and Fri (I am taking summer physics classes) so you'll be alone in that period of time. This offer extends to other people as well (I'm looking at you mers). Please bring hygiene materials though, and whatever else you need. I don't want ppl staying at my house for a week and stinking up the joint.

I'll be there, 5 of days this week (can't go Monday). You want to test out the amateur bracket and crew battle ideas at the tournament Saturday? Also, www.speedtest.net What's your upload speed? I might still need to hype upload /HOPE3's footage
I usually get 15-20 download and 5-10 upload. Its not the greatest, but its average internet for a Northern Virginia home.

As for the amateur brackets, see above. It'll use a lot of ideas we talked about yesterday.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Boss, we are going to make you the world's best Mario. <3

I prob won't be there tomorrow cause of 4th drunken shenanigans, but def. Tuesday-ETERNITY.

I might stay a night or two for that intense practice.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Will you promise not to *** on my sheets like M2K?

If so, sure. But I will be out of the house from 6:30 am-1 pm Tue, Wed, Thurs, and Fri (I am taking summer physics classes) so you'll be alone in that period of time. This offer extends to other people as well (I'm looking at you mers). Please bring hygiene materials though, and whatever else you need. I don't want ppl staying at my house for a week and stinking up the joint.
WTF @ M2K?! I would literally press charges or something... I don't even know...

But yeah, I got hygiene on lock. I've been known to increase the tidiness of rooms with my sheer presence (the shirts in my closet are organized by temperature appropriateness, and then by color... GET AT ME lol). Perpetrators who violate the stench policy will be met with a face full of mace! (or Axe, depends on my mood). Prolly be bringing 1-2 TVs and as many folding chairs as I can sneak past my parents. lol

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
WTF @ M2K?! I would literally press charges or something... I don't even know...

But yeah, I got hygiene on lock. I've been known to increase the tidiness of rooms with my sheer presence (the shirts in my closet are organized by temperature appropriateness, and then by color... GET AT ME lol). Perpetrators who violate the stench policy will be met with a face full of mace! (or Axe, depends on my mood). Prolly be bringing 1-2 TVs and as many folding chairs as I can sneak past my parents. lol
This could probably be the greatest smashfest of all time.

I've got 2 useless CRTs. I'll drop them off on Tuesday when I smash. I can get them back anytime after the week of Smashery. And a GameCube with Melee too

Top Bottom