• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
What, good in singles, bad in teams?

Teams is a completely different beast - 2 players with good teamwork can definitely take 2 much stronger players who aren't regular teammates

BigWenz

Smash Ace
What, good in singles, bad in teams?

Teams is a completely different beast - 2 players with good teamwork can definitely take 2 much stronger players who aren't regular teammates
no i was saying good in teams bad in singles. (this is a rare occurance that WV just pulled)

also im not saying teams is the same as singles but their has to be a limit on the combined skill gap that great teamwork makes up for. By that definition you and winston could take on (lnsert 2 random top players that have never teamed and are not good in teams). like no disrespect but i dont see this ever happening

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
it's not too rare, manjit + coleman do a lot better in teams than in singles.

singles and doubles are two different dynamics that share a lot of skill sets, but being good at singles doesn't make you good at doubles, and vice versa. there are general things you can learn by playing either and there are also things you can only really learn from one or the other.

you're not going to learn how to save your partner in singles, and you're not going to learn how to do cross-stage combos in doubles.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
no i was saying good in teams bad in singles. (this is a rare occurance that WV just pulled)

also im not saying teams is the same as singles but their has to be a limit on the combined skill gap that great teamwork makes up for. By that definition you and winston could take on (lnsert 2 random top players that have never teamed and are not good in teams). like no disrespect but i dont see this ever happening
Korn on the FOB beat Chillin/Chu at Pound 2 in pools. Never happen my ***.

This is incredibly common actually, Newlyweds always did better in teams than singles, and go figures WV plays with Husband =p. Husband and Wife were always top team players, but generally did not do AS well in singles.

What is rare is for two pros who have never teamed before to take a national, such as M2K + Vidjo taking BOMB4 (2006 ?). This was before M2K played marth and would place like top 10 and Vidjo generally placed higher in singles.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)

Our teamwork isn't actually that good yet =P I consider my self mediocre in teams.
It's definitely possible to be wayyyy better in teams than singles. Look at Alukard, G$, or Wife. They're some of the top teams players on the East Coast I think, but not really top level in singles.

Even for us, it's not out of the question for us to have a shot vs players who are a lot better than us in singles.

Like we took a game from eggm + g-reg in tournament a long time ago when we were worse. One set with travis + plank we got it down to a 2v1 on travis twice (with epic choking both times, resulting in an 0-2 loss). At APEX we played diakonos + kage and it was pretty close (though again 0-2). They'd both have destroyed us in singles.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
im sry but i still dont see how they could win teams and yet do so bad in singles. not bashing them but its just so odd. usually its the other way around if anything. also sypher, love the sig haha
Chapter 28 - Teaming with g-reg
They are both good fox players, and they beat us. because of Chus brilliant mastermind of teams strategy, we got ***** because chu doesn't let his teammates take his stocks (despite the fact that my character kills spacies with 1 move at like 50%, and despite the fact that 2v2 is always better than 2v1). this masterful strategy failed miserably as he got shined on his last stock early, not even making having a chance at victory. He also made a deal behind my back that let newb/laijin have extra stocks on us just so they would enter, another brilliant teams move. ironically, we didnt even "win the tournament". good job chu

but seriously they are good players, but i wouldn't bet on them beating us again, or regularly for that matter. no disrespect or anything. i blame chu for everything bad :)

The Newb

Smash Ace
Chapter 28 - Teaming with g-reg
They are both good fox players, and they beat us. because of Chus brilliant mastermind of teams strategy, we got ***** because chu doesn't let his teammates take his stocks (despite the fact that my character kills spacies with 1 move at like 50%, and despite the fact that 2v2 is always better than 2v1). this masterful strategy failed miserably as he got shined on his last stock early, not even making having a chance at victory. He also made a deal behind my back that let newb/laijin have extra stocks on us just so they would enter, another brilliant teams move. ironically, we didnt even "win the tournament". good job chu

but seriously they are good players, but i wouldn't bet on them beating us again, or regularly for that matter. no disrespect or anything. i blame chu for everything bad :)

Man, that CHU...

Revival of Melee 3

Can anyone from Nova or Maryland carpool me there? I guess I could drive there, but the farthest I've ever driven was only 1.5 hours instead of ~5 hours worth of driving. I'm a novice driver.

(original carpooler I was going with can no longer attend the event)

(Also, sorry to everyone about my previous behavior)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well there's the 1 unconfirmed which is what I was talking about ...

Blur needs to stop idling on AIM so we can talk about this.

Crimson said His travel plans won't really work (for me) if I can't get to Cvile.

I'm going to zzz...

Top Bottom