• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Thanks man! I'm finally able to re-organize the boards there and rally the troops to get an Ike guide done. Our stickied threads in particular needed serious re-arranging, so everyone's happy about that.

Edit: *Infracts Raz for double post*

/toomuchpowah

:034:
Do you even have jurisdiction to do that outside the Ike boards? O.o

Also, if you infract me, I will personally undertake an oath to play every match we ever play from now on as GAY as humanly possible. :p

And now that I think of it, this thread doesn't even have post-count, so why would you bother? I just double posted so people see "View Unread post", since I didn't know if an edit triggers that.

Adapt

Smash Lord
And now that I think of it, this thread doesn't even have post-count, so why would you bother? I just double posted so people see "View Unread post", since I didn't know if an edit triggers that.
Edit doesn't trigger the "new post"

Congrats on the mod position Craysyn

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lol, yah I can infract you guys here, I just can't edit posts or otherwise moderate the forum itself.

So that means no more illegal activities in here, I'm lookin at you KMAG.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
It's just my sign-off or my signature if you will. People use different postbits and images for that purpose. I chose Nidoking because he's awesome.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I'd say you should start using Dodrio more often as a sign-off, but keeping him as a pocket-ninja sign-off is pretty slick. And you're right, nobody expects Dodrio.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
:099:
:098:
:097:
:096:
:095:

Apparently just up to Kingler. They stop at #100, which sucks cause that means no Cubone, Scyther or Gyarados.

Spaceman_Spiff

Smash Cadet
All this pokemon talk, anyone here battle? I used to play at Smogon's shoddy battle server, but its been awhile.

If Smashboards had a Blissey icon I would use that. I looove that special wall.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I honestly, just can't bring myself to take competitive Pokemon seriously, despite having done some EV training and proper movesets and such myself. That game will always just be a childhood passion for me, not a competitive game.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
I just hate getting caught in an endless loop of switching out pokemon with your opponent... that gets boring. Yes, there are ways around it, but it sure seemed to happen a lot to me...

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Also, I'm going to Liverpool this weekend and lo and behold there's a smash tournament going on there!! Hahahah! I'll let you know how it goes... something tells me it's items and FFA, but hopefully I'm wrong...

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Check the PR directory thread, that's the current.

And no, I don't think it's the same with Smash Bros. Smash Bros 64 remains a childhood memory, not competitive. I also played Melee for fun, not competition, but Brawl, I fully intended to play competitively.

For Pokemon, it remains fun since HG was just one big nostalgia trip for me. Black and White will probably be different, I don't know.

It's not the same. xD

Croi

Smash Lord
Pokemon is a childhood memory too, that's evolved just as much as Brawl has...they have their own bans, tiers (I think Starmie is the highest tier Pokemon that's not banned, but I haven't been keeping up with its scene. But it's definitely way the hell up there - the Diddy or ICs of Pokemon) and an extensive matchup system (and comparing Brawl's 30-odd characters to Pokemon's 400+, you know it's serious business). Items are also banned.

They, of course, couldn't be more different since Brawl is considerably faster paced than Pokemon, which is more like speed chess. They both need some thinking and planning before the actual fight, but Brawl needs you to stay on your toes and make split-second decisions, while Pokemon typically allows some thinking and foresight.

Not to say that it should only be played competitively - I have enough trouble beating the Elite Four in Platinum. Just saying, if you take competitive Brawl (which, remember, is supposed to be a party game) seriously, respekt da Pokemon scene too.

Meta-K

Smash Rookie
Scizor, Tyranitar, and Salamence = MK, Diddy, and Snake, respectively. Except they're thinking of banning the snake. WTF.

But yeah, I've never played Pokémon competitively, but I've done a bit of team building, and would like to try it sometime. I agree with Jordan that HGSS was pure nostalgia, but I use my completed copy of Platinum to EV train guys/build teams.

[62] Lol, how do you get the images?

Oh, and potions and junk are banned, but held items like Life Orb, Leftovers, and Choice stuff are allowed.

Spaceman_Spiff

Smash Cadet
It would be a massive undertaking to become good at competitive pokemon. The amount of matchup knowledge, plus an understanding of what moveset every character is "probably" carrying is a huge body of knowledge. The chess analogy isn't bad, but it seems to me that chess game never moved past the opening, or perhaps checkers is a better comparison.

By this I mean pokemon at the top level seems to be to be pretty much "on book" from start to finish; you can achieve near perfect play (checkers is a draw, maybe one day we'll know if perfect chess is a white win or draw, although I'm inclined to think the latter), and when that happens it all comes down to luck (lots of probabilities is pokemon) and "gee, I hope they aren't running substitute machamp, he would **** me up".

***Disclaimer: I suck at pokemon***

Brawl is ... faster paced
oxymoron-ic
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

camden

Smash Apprentice
It's funny, because I ran a SubChamp for a while.

Yeah, I play Pokemon competitively, but I haven't recently due to not having constant access to a computer. I'm getting a laptop soon, which will mark my return.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
That's kind of one of the reasons I don't care about competitive Pokemon. There's not really that much actual SKILL involved. You just use a standard team, play like you aren't ********, and then it's luck.

Top Bottom