• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Novella Zelda: An Attempt to Recount the Zelda Series in Writing

Airik

Smash Rookie
Link to original post: [drupal=5296]Novella Zelda: An Attempt to Recount the Zelda Series in Writing[/drupal]

Hello all! Im rather new to the smash forums, having watched from the sidelines, but I need the community's help. I've decided to make a great undertaking and attempt to write out the Zelda series, one book at a time. This is intended to be a serious work of fan fiction. Its been a dream of mine ever since my middle school days, when I first wrote a paper on the Zelda series. The reason behind this is twofold. First of all I'd like to reacquaint myself with my favorites and to play some-(gasp) that I have never played before. And secondly, seeing as I slouched by my first year of college, I'd like to inspire my writing and I figured this would be a great way to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

And this is where you guys come in. I'm by no means an expert on the series despite my love affair with the games. I'd like some general input from the community on some things that I myself am not too clear on.

I have some basic questions, and more in depth ones, but surely nothing that cant be overcome.

To start with, My first question is rather simple, but will affect the whole writing process. It is this: Should Link talk?
A great place to start off, and the first question that came to mind when I had this idea. Obviously our hero utters nary a syllable in the games, but what about in the black and white pages of a book, where we cant see what is going on around the world? I personally feel the best way to connect the readers to the story would be to have Links character supported with dialogue to create a rich, in depth character. Also given the excellent example the Manga presents to us, It seems like a fairly direct route. Yet there is a part of me that wants to remain faithful to the games and have link be the silent protagonist. But alas it just does not seem feasible to have him silent the whole series. I wish to create a single book per each main game, totaling around 150-300 pages per book. Having a silent hero just doesn't seem to work in that amount of space...Obviously this will be one intensive labor of love, but I intend to see it through to the end! ^.^

So please, tell me what you guys think!

Comments, questions and the like are strongly encouraged!

I will reveal more questions and ideas as this progresses, but for now I will leave you guys with that!

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
When Persona 3 & 4 were serialized, their silent, nameless protagonists were given names and voices. I think you kind of have to make him talk, since he actually does in the game (whenever you respond to a dialogue tree), you just can't hear it.

:phone:

Airik

Smash Rookie
When Persona 3 & 4 were serialized, their silent, nameless protagonists were given names and voices. I think you kind of have to make him talk, since he actually does in the game (whenever you respond to a dialogue tree), you just can't hear it.

Persona 3 & 4?

when i wrote this I had OOT in mind :grin:
all i was thinking about was link riding across hyrule and visiting lake hylia so i may be a bit skewed.

Also, when playing skyward sword, we see a whole sequence between Link and the headmaster after Zelda is whisked away in the tornado. he is moving his mouth and obviously recounting the whole event... we just cant hear his voice!!!

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
They were examples of games with silent protagonists who speak in the serialized versions.

But yeah, Link talks anyway, so he should in your books.

Airik

Smash Rookie
Ah, I gotcha.

Ok, so I'm leaning towards him talking too.

My next thought was this: How should the story be told?

Should it be a first person experience told directly through Link, or would a more omniscient approach be better? I keep getting this idea of Kaepora Gaebora flying overhead narrating the whole thing :awesome:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Omniscient. While you could make Link talk, personally I wouldn't see it as fitting. Yes, he does respond positively or negatively, but you could just say, "he accepted the girl's request..." instead of making him say, "Yes" every time he encounters a situation like that. It's even worse if you were to fill it with some stereotypical protagonist like, "I'm on it!" or something, lol.

Considering the part in Skyward Sword where he explains what happened to Zelda, you have an idea of what he said to the headmaster, but you don't have any words. Why can't you just say that, "Link recounted that day's experience and explained what happened to the headmaster's daughter."

Of course it all really depends on how you want to write the story. For me I see it as a story that you could repeat orally, you know, something you could tell a kid. That's the sort of idea I get in my head when you say "recount."

Anyway good luck, I look forward to this. :p

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I think what Nday is suggesting is important because in a lot of ways Link is not actually a character. Well, he wasn't initially supposed to be. Link is meant to be an extension of the player in this world, hence then name Link, so really his personality should be what you want it to be.

Due to this, everyone's interpretation of Link will be different. Thing is though, I've always wondered if Link would be all stoic if Majora's Mask's graphics were good enough. I dunno I just can't see him being stone faced during so many of the moments, cause I wasn't dammit.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Well, he did stop being stone-faced as soon as the technology allowed for it. I'd even argue that the decision to make Link left-handed was the first step in making him his own character instead of an extension of the player, since most people are not left-handed (unless the argument is that Link is an extension of Miyamoto specifically).

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I always thought of the left hand thing as a bit of a quirk. Even though most people are right handed, it's not like being a lefty is a deciding factor in your personality.

Or maybe it is, maybe those nuns were onto something.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
A quirk distinguishes you from others though, and it distinguishes Link from the majority of players. It makes him less of an avatar and more of a character, even if it doesn't determine personality.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I tend to be a little more abstract than that.

Male players will often create characters with staggering physical differences to themselves and still use it as an extension, I mean hell a lot will have a female avatar.

I dunno I guess I'm just weird but whatever.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well I can see what you mean Teran, many people will pick opposite gender in a game and play that character. If they're good they'll keep people guessing but if they're REALLY good people will always assume they are that gender. I've met one person who was in that latter character. My brother and I heard this person was a girl but my brother was skeptical: "Bronte? Why he's the manliest man I know!!"

We then went to Bronte and asked. Yup, Bronte's a girl in RL. :o

(Btw Bronte's the name of the char, not the player. :p )

I know I got a little off topic but what i'm saying is, you can have very distinct differences between you and the character and still feel as though they are your extension. I main Lucas in brawl, for example. I'm not actually so nervous, nor do I wear similar shirts or shoes. I don't really have many huge similarities to him (aside from the fact that i'm young compared to my peers, maybe?), yet whenever I use him in brawl he does feel like he represents me in every way. It almost makes me feel like I have psychic powers myself!

Anyway what i'm getting at is that differences from characters to you don't have to mean separation. They can, yes... but sometimes it's harder to remove the representation feel than one might think. :p

Airik

Smash Rookie
Cool, I'm seeing a lot of good ideas floating around and they all make sense to me. In regards to the recounting, I really want to try and make this an in depth story. along the lines of a Harry Potter book. I dont want to have basic phrases for every time Link does something.

So I guess in that regard, while in the games, we as a player have more of a direct connection to Link and feel more immersed in the game. However this is a book, and a retaling of his adventures in Hyrule, more or less in a way that "should" fit the "technical" storyline from what would be HIS perspective. For example, what I mean by this is that we as a player have direct influence and control over Link. we can make him go any where, complete any task, do any dungeon, then quit and go do something else, until the story line, if told from a narrative perspective, would be so choppy and nuts nobody could make sense out of it. For a game though thats ok. because YOU are experiencing it. in a book, though, if I were to say "So then Link went to x dungeon but ran out of magic so went to x store and bought x amount of items" it would get annoying pretty fast. So I guess thats where I'm coming from in that sense.

I draw some influence from the manga because i think it does an excellent job with the series. While its not entirely canon, it does a good job portraying the characters, and gives certain twists that you wouldn't expect from others. For example the storyline with Volvagia was amazing, and it makes me sad every time i remember that doesn't really happen in the game :(
However the only problem with the manga is that it is not in depth and you have pictures to associate with. A book on the other hand would be more in depth and more reliant on words to get the point across.

Lets discuss guys! :grin:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Hm, of course you're not going to go into depth of the actual way the game played, although it would be hilarious for the story to break half way through because Link needs to go out of the dungeon and chop down some nearby bushes for health. Or that he has to somersault to get away from a volcano's explosion.

Anyway, you don't have to glaze over his actions, you can definitely go around his silence (if you opted to write it that way) by going into the thoughts Link is having. In that way an omniscient narrator will really help you, since you will have full access to Link's thoughts, which really should be the thoughts the player would be having were he playing the actual game.

Airik

Smash Rookie
yeah I wouldnt be telling the story from a game standpoint.

Imagine it like this:

This story will be about Link and Link alone as a character rather than a representation of a player.

So lets take oot for example. imagine that you werent playing the game. you just turned it on and sat the controller down. and Link then proceeds to go through the game in all the right spots and places. much like one huge cut scene or a movie.

Now I know there are people who are against video game based movies. I've had bad experiences with those too :p
But dont think of it in that way. its still the game we all know, but just with no player input, and therefore no player error. there wont be trips running back and forth for insignificant story value.

I picture this when I say this.
In oot when you have the option of chasing down all the cuckoos in Kakariko village, you are rewarded with a bottle. in game this is a rather simple task, and can be completed in no time. but in the book, i'd like everything link does to hold some significant consequence. so perhaps he gets the bottle, as well as a monetary reward. perhaps just enough for a particular item. And perhpas at the entrance to death mountain instead of the sequence with the guard and the mask, it could be made simpler so that Link must exchange the mask for his Hylian shield and he wont let Link pass until then. that way there is no grass cutting involved ;)

these are thoughts that im having to make the story flow much better than a game would have it. there will be no player input, so therefore no need for many of the basic things that occur in the game. So it would be much better for Links choices to have a bigger consequence or outcome to compensate for the lack of actions that would occur in game.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well yes, the problem with doing a first person narration is because of the time-frame that link comes from. It's hard to frame a character's thoughts well when they don't come from your age and barely speak your language. You still have access to thoughts either way though. There's also second-person narration but that is VERY hard to get right and I don't think I have ever read a largely successful piece of literature that is written in second person (e.g. "You walked through the door. Your eyes were grim as you approached the legendary king of evil", etc).

On to the idea of a more linear-based sequence. I agree, although misty had a great idea. it makes the story a little lighter and is a good laugh (and many good books do this as well, the comic relief to momentarily light up the atmosphere) if you DO refer to it a couple times. Perhaps you'll put in brackets after you talk to the guy that sets the digging test (this is in LttP if it sounds unfamiliar) how you did that test for HOURS upon HOURS and you swear you dug up that spot and it WASN'T THERE LAST TIME. :mad:

Another great one is, completely out of nowhere, link noticing that he's out of bombs and completely backtracks the dungeon he's in (he's nearly up to the boss, too!) to get them because of a rumour he's heard that the big boss of that cavern can only be defeated with bombs.

Also, developing a side plot-line with navi might be hilarious. From link willingly accepting and loving the fairy's help at the beginning of the game, to getting slightly annoyed but too polite to say anything, to the odd "Shh" or "Please be quiet a moment". All the way until the very end. He'll be fighting Ganon and Navi will attempt to advise him that Ganon can indeed be defeated by the Master Sword but link will cut in with that classic "Shut up, navi" and continue on his way.

What a hero. :3

Airik

Smash Rookie
Well yes, the problem with doing a first person narration is because of the time-frame that link comes from. It's hard to frame a character's thoughts well when they don't come from your age and barely speak your language. You still have access to thoughts either way though. There's also second-person narration but that is VERY hard to get right and I don't think I have ever read a largely successful piece of literature that is written in second person (e.g. "You walked through the door. Your eyes were grim as you approached the legendary king of evil", etc).

On to the idea of a more linear-based sequence. I agree, although misty had a great idea. it makes the story a little lighter and is a good laugh (and many good books do this as well, the comic relief to momentarily light up the atmosphere) if you DO refer to it a couple times. Perhaps you'll put in brackets after you talk to the guy that sets the digging test (this is in LttP if it sounds unfamiliar) how you did that test for HOURS upon HOURS and you swear you dug up that spot and it WASN'T THERE LAST TIME. :mad:

Another great one is, completely out of nowhere, link noticing that he's out of bombs and completely backtracks the dungeon he's in (he's nearly up to the boss, too!) to get them because of a rumour he's heard that the big boss of that cavern can only be defeated with bombs.

Also, developing a side plot-line with navi might be hilarious. From link willingly accepting and loving the fairy's help at the beginning of the game, to getting slightly annoyed but too polite to say anything, to the odd "Shh" or "Please be quiet a moment". All the way until the very end. He'll be fighting Ganon and Navi will attempt to advise him that Ganon can indeed be defeated by the Master Sword but link will cut in with that classic "Shut up, navi" and continue on his way.

What a hero. :3
intersting indeed!
I'm not sure how I feel about Link and Navi's relationship yet but i want to make it one that will either rewrite that god awful racket, or perhaps have that as the comic relief.
I honestly cant decide what the better way to write the story would be. So maybe this is a good time to introduce another question:
(Lets assume for the time being that we'll refer to oot from now on, I'll probably write that story first)
Should the whole tone of the story to be on an epic scale, or a more open story like the manga?
Or perhaps a blend of each? for example the youth section of the story can be more lighthearted, whereas when he grows up the adult section can be more masculine and dangerous?

Also another question to bring up:
Should the story try and be faithful to the games or would some personal interpretation of various characters and introduction of some things that didnt happen in the game (such as the volvagia plot in the manga) be acceptable? which do you guys think would make a more complete representation?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I feel like if all you did was attempt to objectively tell a story that outlines the plot of the game, or the characters, it will be boring. If you bring some of your personal interpretation to the characters and the story, it will likely be infinitely more interesting.

Airik

Smash Rookie
I feel like if all you did was attempt to objectively tell a story that outlines the plot of the game, or the characters, it will be boring. If you bring some of your personal interpretation to the characters and the story, it will likely be infinitely more interesting.
I agree ;)

I think an authentic storyline could end up being too linear. Some personal touches would go a long way in development and quality story telling. If none of you have read the Fire Temple part of the oot Manga I strongly encourage it! :grin:

(If you guys cant tell I love that part)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well true enough that Link and Navi could have a fair enough relationship. truth be told I never found it so annoying as a kid and wondered where it came from as I got older.

And I agree that a couple small nuances, easter eggs and even occasionally tapping upon the fourth wall could go a long way to making the balance between an epic adventure and one that is lighthearted.

Airik

Smash Rookie
Well true enough that Link and Navi could have a fair enough relationship. truth be told I never found it so annoying as a kid and wondered where it came from as I got older.

And I agree that a couple small nuances, easter eggs and even occasionally tapping upon the fourth wall could go a long way to making the balance between an epic adventure and one that is lighthearted.
You know... now that I think about it, I dont remember Navi being quite that annoying either...

Obviously if I were to go by Majoras Mask though, Link valued Navi highly as a friend, so my guess is that they were pretty close. I think a more friendly and childish atmosphere between them during the youth section would be fitting, and then they can kind of grow together throughout the story. I feel the original idea of having a fairy as a Kokiri was supposed to have a much more profound effect than it did in the game, since Navi was just there to tell you stuff :p

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I never thought Navi was annoying either. But when people would talk about her being annoying with all the "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Listen!" I get it. I always thought of Navi as not being a character at all, and that she was nothing more than a game mechanic. Tatl, from MM, on the other hand, was clearly a character. The way she made fun of you every time you asked her about enemies was much more entertaining than Navi just explaining everything in the most detailed and objective manner possible.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I never thought Navi was annoying either. But when people would talk about her being annoying with all the "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Listen!" I get it. I always thought of Navi as not being a character at all, and that she was nothing more than a game mechanic. Tatl, from MM, on the other hand, was clearly a character. The way she made fun of you every time you asked her about enemies was much more entertaining than Navi just explaining everything in the most detailed and objective manner possible.
Oh I understood why they said it. I just never felt that way when i used to play it.

It'd be interesting to see what a relationship between link and navi would do. Navi being the navigator, of course. :p

Btw Airik, you remind me so much of Ally. I think he had that avatar at one point, that's why.

Airik

Smash Rookie
Oh I understood why they said it. I just never felt that way when i used to play it.

It'd be interesting to see what a relationship between link and navi would do. Navi being the navigator, of course. :p

Btw Airik, you remind me so much of Ally. I think he had that avatar at one point, that's why.
Navi's just trying to do her job, she cant help it if Link doesnt listen :dizzy:

Who is Ally? I dont know anyone on the forums lol
I picked the meta knight avatar when i joined since i had just mained him after everyone beat my butt with him at a local smash tourney lol

Airik

Smash Rookie
Tatl and Tael >>>>>>> Navi

They were a lot better if you ask me. I mean come on, even their names are awesome :awesome:

plus tatl has a much cooler noise when flying and alerting you to stuff haha

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I never played MM the whole way through but it was obvious to me that tatl and tael put together is tatltael, or... tattletale.

So does link get betrayed? Tell me he gets betrayed, right?

And yeah, I played the brawl version of OoT for five minutes and tried to get as far as i could. i forgot about getting the slingshot so it took me 3 or 4 tries to get past the spiders with-out it.

Ally is one of the best snake mains in the world but he also has an extremely good MK that he uses often.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Uhh, *Spoiler*
I think Tatl's plan was to betray Link, but after traveling with him for the whole game, she starts to think the Skull Kid is obviously crazy, and Link is a real cool guy for going to so much trouble to stop him. When you finally reach the end of the game, Tael wants Tatl to come over and join them, but Tatl tells him to get away from the Skull Kid so that they can just get the heck out of there. Then the Skull Kid smacks Tael, so Tatl opts to help Link kick his ***. If you actually ask her for help though, she doesn't tell you **** about how to fight him, cuz she doesn't know.

Airik

Smash Rookie
Uhh, *Spoiler*
I think Tatl's plan was to betray Link, but after traveling with him for the whole game, she starts to think the Skull Kid is obviously crazy, and Link is a real cool guy for going to so much trouble to stop him. When you finally reach the end of the game, Tael wants Tatl to come over and join them, but Tatl tells him to get away from the Skull Kid so that they can just get the heck out of there. Then the Skull Kid smacks Tael, so Tatl opts to help Link kick his ***. If you actually ask her for help though, she doesn't tell you **** about how to fight him, cuz she doesn't know.
yeah I would say pretty much that. Tatls attitude is so brash
I remember that opening scene
when Link first turns into a scrub and Tatl (and Skull Kid and Tael) mock him viciously, then as soon as they leave her behind she becomes this helpless little girl, and raging fairy and slick wheel-and-dealer
all in one lol

I love the story behind MM. I recently read an article by Hylian Dan and while I'm not sure how accurate it is, it really makes you think about and appreciate the game on a different level.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Ahh okay that works then.

I seem to recall that MM is set directly after the events of OoT. Could be wrong, though.
That's what I've always thought. I don't know that the LoZ series is supposed to be considered as a series of chronological events, but there are certainly theories. Some of them are pretty convincing.

Airik

Smash Rookie
Yes, I'm still unsure on that as well. I'd love for an english copy of Hyrule Historia to come this way, but who knows when or if we'll ever get that. I've seen some translations online, but I'd rather have the real thing, you know how it is.

As for me I've always thought that MM is directly after OOT too. Perhaps a year has gone by at most, but it seems more like a few weeks/months to me.

This is a good train of thought and leads me to 2 more questions guys;

1. Should the stories have some sort of relation to each other, or be standalone titles?
I feel that some of the games, since we know the Links are directly related, would benefit from the extra bit of relation to the story that preceded it. For example In MM since its the same Link as OOT, would it be suitable to make mention of some of Links struggles (the fight with ganon perhaps?) that he encountered in OOT?

2. This makes me feel like bridging a gap. What the heck happened to Navi after OOT? if anyone knows the answer share it please :grin:
If not I'd like to write an original "bridge" story, some kind of really short little piece to tell the events of Navi and Link in between OOT and MM.
which leads me to the meat of the question... Do you guys approve of original pieces or work to accompany, and sometimes make appearances in the actual stories? I think its a great idea if I can do a good enough job. Once again referring to the Zelda manga, MM in this instance, as the original story at the end is pretty darn good.

Airik

Smash Rookie
Ok cool :)

Also I was thinking the other day about installments. what do you all think about that? It would more or less give "priority" to certain games

for example

Book;
1. OOT
2. MM
3. TP

I put them in this order not because of chronology, but because the stories seem to fit together better. TP just reminded me a lot of oot.

so more or less this is just an organization method for me. but i think installments of 3 or so books, a trilogy, would be a good way to keep organized and fit the zelda theme :)

another example,

series 2
books;
1. WW
2. PH
3. ST

and that would simply be because they are more or less sequels.

id like to try and fit these in a way that is not necessarily chronological to the series, book number has nothing to do with that. but in a way that the games are somewhat connected and the stories might mesh together better.

if you guys think this is a good idea please elaborate, and give me your own lists!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Have you thought about using a Link to the Past as one of the books? It's generally considered among zelda fans to be the best if i recall correctly. I think there's a huge debate about whether OoT or LttP is better, although WW comes up a bit as well.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
How do you plan to handle the split time line? The LoZ series is not linear, after all. Assuming you're going to be following the official Nintendo timeline.

Airik

Smash Rookie
Yes indeed. I personally love link to the past. its one of my all time favorites, definitely my favorite among the non 3-d zelda games.

and as far as the timeline goes i have no idea lol. i was hoping maybe that this whole thing could help me come to a decision on that. If you've read through this you'll see several thoughts floating around. I could either make stories that are faithful to the games with no outside interpretation, or stories that have some of my own ideas incorporated in them as well. I'd like to have a balance, provided my own material is of high enough quality. If i havent already said it, i want these stories to be somewhat like the manga but in novel form.

I dont think the timeline has any great consequence on the outcome of the story, but it would be nice to have as much knowledge on everything as possible. :)

edit:
but now that you mention it, i have another idea. take this for example:
say I have oot and its at the last "linear" chapter as far as the game is concerned and link has just defeated ganondorf etc.
but then perhaps the chapter after the "true link wins" ending, there can be a bonus chapter that tells of links defeat and the dark age that follows?

Top Bottom